Sign in to follow this  
Solutus

DQM Joker solo challenge (Sk8erpunq's log)

Warning: contains spoilers for DQM: Joker. Proceed at your own risk!

I've decided to start September with a challenge: beat Joker with a single monster (synthesis acceptable). There are two rules: at any point in the game, I'm allowed to have exactly one monster in active party and if this monster dies, I have to reset the game. In case anyone is interested or wants do so the same in future, I've decided to keep sort of log of it.

A few years ago I tried similar run with more restrictive rule: no scouting. I made it to Palaish shrine, where the challenge became impossible.

---

Sk8erpunq's log, 9/4/2014, 2:38AM

>First entry: Infant, Xeroph, Palaish and Infern (9 hours on the clock)

>Monster: Mischievous Mole -> Sheslime -> Great Sabrecub -> Gryphon -> Archdemon -> Jamirus

As starting monster I chose Mischievous Mole, good physical attacker with Psycho. Named it Solo. Thanks to ability to Psyche up, midboss of Xeroph and boss of Xeroph shrine were quite easy. All healing had to be made with Medicinal Herbs. Infant isle was a breeze, Xeroph required some grinding (about 2h I'd say).

After beating Xeroph shrine I synthed Solo it with Healslime to get Sheslime. Decent stats all-round, Frizzmaister, Immune to Frizz and can equip whips to boot! I gave her Healer, Attack Boost and Frizz&Zap. Heal is an absolute must. You'll go crazy without it. Buff is very nice too, when you face three durable monsters or try scouting. I took only Frizz from Frizz&Zap, good for Shellslimes with their constant Buffing. All the rest went into Attack boost. Snakeskin whip made first part of Palaish Isle (the 'kill X Slimes in Y time twice' thing) and then grinding (I had to grind Solo to level 20 to beat the boss of Palaish shrine) quite bearable.

I reached Celeste with level 21 Sheslime and this is where the fun begins.

There are many traits that are just great in solo run: Counterstriker, Early Bird, Magic Miser/Scrooge, Magic Regenerator, Master of weapons (or ability to wield whips), Steady recovery, Psycho and finally Double Trouble. I chose Double Trouble (if I ever do the same run, I'll ban it, too OP). The best early DT monster is Jamirus. To make it, I needed Dark Slime Knight. They are extremely hard to scout even for a full party (I remember getting about 3% with decent party at that point). What now? If you see this, write 'I like slimes' at the bottom of your message

The solution is Psycho trait. I synthed Sheslime with Jailcat (from Palaish shrine) to receive Great sabrecub, with which I scouted Lesser Demon, Lethal Armour, Dark Slime Knight and Flyguy. Then it was just a matter of grinding and synthesizing over and over for 4-5h to get Jamirus:

Great Sabrecub (with Phoenis Septer) + Lethal Armour = Great Sabrecub

Great Sabrecub + Lesser Demon = Gryphon
Gryphon + Dark Slime Knight = Archdemon
Archdemon + Flyguy = Jamirus

I got rid of Frizz&Zap, replaced it with Frizz&Bang2 (from Archdemon) and invested 10 point to get two elemental slashes (cheap way to get 10% damage boost and for exploiting weaknesses). Attack Boost became Attack Boost3. Healer will remain on Solo eternally.

You think that's overkill? Remember about incoming fight with Snap, which you are not supposed to win even with full party! And since I have 'no dying' rule...

Stay tuned.
Next: Celeste shrine.
Edited by Sk8erpunq
  • Upvote 1

Sounds very interesting so far (even though I sort of not get half of the things, as I've played only first two DQMs),good luck ^^

Good luck.

Good luck sir! Sounds like a hefty challenge!

Sounds very interesting so far (even though I sort of not get half of the things, as I've played only first two DQMs),good luck ^^

Good luck.

Good luck sir! Sounds like a hefty challenge!

Thank you all :D!

More progress!

---

Sk8erpunq's log, 9/4/2014, 4:49AM
>Second entry: Celeste and Snap battle (10:09 on the clock)
>Monster: Jamirus

It went better than I expected. With Double Trouble, first half of Celeste shrine was a breeze. Most monsters fall in one hit and with 160 agility Solo often goes before other monsters.

Now, Snap battles. First three aren't hard at all. Fourth one is hell. Sturdy Living Statue, Gigantes with desperate attacks and body slam, Black Dragon with Venom breath and Inferno. See? Hell.

On first try I failed. Fourth battle is really hard. Without Buff Solo took ~60 damage from each monster (and with 270HP it's just matter of 2 turns). I realized this after the first turn, and in the next one Solo was dead. Heal wasn't enough, too. I upgraded it to Midheal, tried again and succeeded (got little lucky, too)!

For people who want to solo defeat Snap, Jamirus had 270HP, 130MP, almost 300 attack (equipped with Silver broadsword) and little over 200 defense. I'd say that's really close to minimum and may require a few resets.

Stay tuned.

Next: Fert Isle&Shrine, maybe finals.

Edited by Sk8erpunq

Wow, a pseudo iron man solo.   Pretty wild.  I look forward to seeing what happens next.  Good idea to start your own thread too.

Wow, this is an ambitious undertaking.  Nice work so far and looking forward to seeing more.

Wow, a pseudo iron man solo.   Pretty wild.  I look forward to seeing what happens next.  Good idea to start your own thread too.

Wow, this is an ambitious undertaking.  Nice work so far and looking forward to seeing more.

Thanks guys! I'm really happy people are actually interested in this challenge :)

---
Sk8erpunq's log, 9/4/2014, 7:35PM
>Third entry: Fert Isle and Fert shrine, making Nimzo (14:35 on the clock)
>Monster: Jamirus->Demon-at-arms->Malroth->Nimzo

Fert Isle and shrine were piece of cake compared to Snap battles. With help of a bag of Oopmh powder, shrine guardian was dead within three turns. I spent next four hours (in-game, six in real life) synthesizing Nimzo. Took only 9 syntheses.

How did the syntheses go?

Nimzo = Drakulard + Malroth

For Malroth part:
Jamirus + Hellhound = Demon-at-arms
Dingaling + Wailin' Weed = Living Statue
Demon-at-arms + Living statue = Malroth

For Drakulard part:
Giant Moth + Jargon = Drakularge

Gorerilla + Dingaling = Golem
Bodkin archer + Giant Moth = Silvapithecus
Silvapithecus + Golem = Pazuzu

Drakularge + Pazuzu = Drakulard

Leveling up all the way from level 1 was really painful. Solo was strong enough to take down two Berserkers (and only them) from Palaish north (with help of Strong medicine every turn). Monsters in substitute get 8 times less EXP than monsters in active party, so by the time they got to level 10, Solo was already level 20 or so. Lots and lots of resetting. For correct charge to synthesize, because of too strong monsters, desperate attacks, forgetting to restock on Strong medicine, forgetting to heal between fights, forgetting to equip weapon, forgetting to allocate skill points before synthesizing... Damn, I have to do something with this sclerosis. Wait, what was I talking about?

Anyway, something I didn't know about the game. You need at least two monsters in your party to enter the finals!

Quote from the game:

*: Are you ready to enter the finals?

>Yes

No

*: Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't I tell you? You need at least two monsters in your team to compete in the finals.

So, I'm going to scout a level 1 slime from Infant Isle and put it in my active party just for the finals.

Stay tuned.

Next: Finals!

That seems like a strange requirement for the game to force on you.  I wonder if there is a rational reason behind it.  Also, I would have expected this game to force the Incarnus to be in your party for most of the story events.  Is that not the case? 

Nice progress so far.  You and ignasia7 definitely like to punish yourselves with these crazy challenges.

It really helps that monsters in stock gain 1/4 exp.  So a lot of grinding goes a long way towards getting those optimal stats after a Synthesis.

Psh, my current challenges are child's play!  I can't do the really hardcore stuff anymore.  Just too much time on one game (took me over 1.5years to complete my FF4 DS solo cecil boss rush only + fixed battles challenge...yeah, that's crazy stuff, and all because two battles were pure luck based, and one had me bending the rules a little because the necessary requirements were so absurd it was almost a 1/1,000,000 chance to trigger a perfect battle, I had it twice, but due to a fluke in the startup, Cecil started with his bar at the start, not near the end, so I lost a turn and thus lost the boss battle...bloody Demon Wall!)

I will say that DQ challenges are ultimately more fun, and less time consuming.

Anyway, let's look at this a sec...

Nothing in your challenge rules says you cannot scout multiple monsters for preset synthesis ahead of time.  So long as they're not in your active party it's fine.  So keep that slime as a slime permanently if the game requires another single monster to be present (one that can die instantly).

Edited by ignasia7

That seems like a strange requirement for the game to force on you.  I wonder if there is a rational reason behind it.  Also, I would have expected this game to force the Incarnus to be in your party for most of the story events.  Is that not the case? 

Nice progress so far.  You and ignasia7 definitely like to punish yourselves with these crazy challenges.

Yeah, really strange. There really doesn't seem to be any reason, no cut scene that requires two monsters.

No, Incarnus just appears out of nowhere and disappears right after cut scenes. You can send it to storage and never pick it up again.

It really helps that monsters in stock gain 1/4 exp.  So a lot of grinding goes a long way towards getting those optimal stats after a Synthesis.

Psh, my current challenges are child's play!  I can't do the really hardcore stuff anymore.  Just too much time on one game (took me over 1.5years to complete my FF4 DS solo cecil boss rush only + fixed battles challenge...yeah, that's crazy stuff, and all because two battles were pure luck based, and one had me bending the rules a little because the necessary requirements were so absurd it was almost a 1/1,000,000 chance to trigger a perfect battle, I had it twice, but due to a fluke in the startup, Cecil started with his bar at the start, not near the end, so I lost a turn and thus lost the boss battle...bloody Demon Wall!)

I will say that DQ challenges are ultimately more fun, and less time consuming.

Anyway, let's look at this a sec...

Nothing in your challenge rules says you cannot scout multiple monsters for preset synthesis ahead of time.  So long as they're not in your active party it's fine.  So keep that slime as a slime permanently if the game requires another single monster to be present (one that can die instantly).

I synthesized better monsters as soon as they became available, so pre-scouting was not an option this time. Also, because early monsters have crappy stats and stat growths, it was always better to scout a nearby monster. I was heavily under-ranked throughout the game, so recipes always required monsters with higher ranks. The priority here is the least possible syntheses to avoid leveling up monsters as much as possible.

OK, so I've passed the finals on second try (stupid desperate attack!), but I don't think it deserves its own log entry. I might actually beat the game today.

---
Sk8erpunq's log, 9/4/2014, 9:57PM
>Fourth entry: Finals, Cell HQ, Tartarus and final boss (15:53:44 on the clock)
>Monster: Grandmaster Nimzo

With handful of Oomph powder and Strong medicine for healing in pinch, nothing stands in the way of Grandmaster Nimzo! I was quite surprised, actually, I though I'll be forced to synthesize Solo with Phoenix scepter. Solo started taking damage in regular fights, up to 30 from Skeleton Soldiers (while having almost 400 max HP), so it wasn't that bad. I entered Tartarus to try my luck. I really didn't know what to expect. I knew the final fight might be too much for poor Nimzo. Turns out it was.

Mid-Boss fights were no problem thanks to Buff. Magic damage wasn't any higher than 90, so it was easily fixable with Strong Medicine without wasting a turn.

Now, the final boss. The beginning of the disaster.
I completely forgot about restoring MP, so I walked into the fight with only 90MP (actually had around 100MP at the beginning of the fight right before final one). Might not seem like an issue, since Midheal is cheap, but the elemental slashes took 2MP every turn. It was serious. In hand, 5 Strong medicines, 5 Panaceas, 4 Oomph powders, Wizard's Penny and two Insulades (couldn't remember if there was be any possible breath damage, now I know there isn't. I really could have use two extra Strong Medicines or Wizard's Pennies).
Used my only Wizard's Penny right off the start, followed by casting Buff. Got poisoned and received some damage (Demon-at-arms was faster than Solo). The next turn, scout used Oomph powder and Solo KOed Tortured Soul (Boom slash + regular attack). Demon-at-arms attacks did 0 or 1 damage, Dr.Snapped dealt between 8 and 12 damage, occasionally casting Kaboom hurting for 60-80 damage. Cured poison with Panacea and kept using Strong Medicine afterwards. Four-handed demon was defeated in two turns.

<Climatic narration change. Read it with Gandalf voice>

With both goons gone, it was an epic showdown between Dr.Snapped and Grandmaster Nimzo. Oomphed Solo attacked for over 300 damage per attack, while the crazy scientist sometimes got in between of Buff wearing off/recasting and dealt around 120 damage. Since the scout had no more Wizard pennies, opponent's Kaboom dealt 90-120 damage now. Soon, Strong Medicine was gone and Solo was running low on MP. Looked like it will be over in a few turns. And then, right in the middle of that fight, on the verge of defeat, nothing short of miracle happened - The Big Boss cast Kazammle, Nimzo absorbs it. Empowered with this unexpected hope (and Oomph powder the scout kept using), he vigorously attacked vile creature. And a few turns later, the powerful enemy has fallen.

Nimzo's final stats: 
Level: 26
HP 375, MP 173
Att 447, Def 330
Agi 133, Wis 206
Equipped with Dragon Lance (Sacred talons from red chest just before Dr Snapped would be a lot better, but since I haven't opened any other red chests, I didn't feel like opening this one).

End of Sk8erpunq's log for Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, solo challenge.
---

Ahem, it might seem too unlikely to be true, but that's exactly what happened. I plum forgot Snapped could cast Kazammle (hasn't used it before) and the fact that Nimzo is healed by Zam kind of slipped my mind. I got really lucky.

And sadly, that's the end of the challenge. I hope you all enjoyed it (I sure have!).

Edit: forgot to list Nimzo's stats. Fixed.

Edited by Sk8erpunq
  • Upvote 2

some epic fun you had)

Feels like it's over before it even began.  Congratulations on your miraculous victory!

Do it again, do it again, do it again!

This time only with a slime.  You can synth as often as you want, but you must only synth to a slime!

Thank you guys, it's been hell of a fun!

Ignasia, by slime you mean monster family, or slime the monster? I don't know if that's even possible (I'd have to get to Palaish shrine for Phoenix sceptre). Solo Slime, right?

Wow it feels like you just started. That was a super fun read and definitely inspiring. I don't know any DQ games well enough to tackle sick a feat!

I second ignasia! If it is possible you should go for it SK8er!!

The little blue guy, the one, the only, the original Slimester.

Edited by ignasia7

So be it, I'll do it on one condition: 8x EXP multiplier cheat. This gives the same challenge as without the code, but makes it less time consuming.

If you all approve, I'll start next thread shortly.

• Upvote 1

That's fine, that just trims the time down.

No limitations on what movesets you can pick/synth to the slime, or what traits.

Edited by ignasia7

Sounds awesome.  Looking forward to reading about this!

Great! See you in the next thread!