Sign in to follow this  
Madrigal

Dragon Quest VIII (Reborn) (My modifications)

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thank you, I got more on the way, I want to at least have one or two pictures for each concept idea I have for added content I would like to see.

I finally got to drawing a picture of Marcello, and I must say I really like his color scheme and think he is probably among the most interesting of characters in Dragon Quest VIII

www.bardofmaple.deviantart.com/art/Marcello-Dragon-Quest-VIII-546652956

Edited by Madrigal

www.bardofmaple.deviantart.com/art/demon-seed-III-Dragon-Quest-VIII-550539817

This time a ferocious Demonic pterodactyl with an underling is conjured up from Rhapthorne's realm upon Francisco's slaying.  Dhoulmagus is sure this minion will finish off any potential future threat and leaves them to complete the job as he leaves to search for the next heir.  Both Angelo and Marcello are injured while King Troad is in shock leaving only the Hero, Yangus, and Jessica the only able defenders as the rest of the Templar soldiers are incapacitated.  They need a miracle....

Edited by Madrigal

Well done. As I like how you try to include lots of characters in each pic, and seeing how this features action, I will say something that may help in the future, and I hope you don't feel it is to make you feel bad.

The feet of the party make them look too static. What is happening in the scene suggests movement, but their feet (along with the rest of the bodies) give me the idea they cannot lifted from the floor.

This is still a good piece, that is why I say this. I know you can get much better in a short time.

Look at yourself moving using a mirror. Or look at photographs of dancers. Those could help.

And keep the pics coming. :D

Thanks for the advice, drawing feet is one of my weak points.  I probably need to practice just drawing feet and shoes and the lifting of the legs.  My next picture I plan on drawing will actually be the Hero from DQ XI.  I need to do something different before I do the next demon seed scenario which I think is in Baccarat.  I will try to focus more on the feet and movement.

• Upvote 1

I did not draw an XI hero pic right away. At the third day after the announcement, I got the inspiration for a pic and started one (currently at first stages of inking), but it is not my priority for now, with at least one deadline for a picture I want to draw, I have to focus on that first.

I understand, as an artist it's always fun to take on huge projects and take side breaks and do something different; however, I feel like I will never be done with this project.  It's ok though, I'm going to finish my the demon seed DQ VIII side stuff then start doing some DQ V art, that's my next favorite game probably until I play VII or XI.

Demon Seed IV

Dhoulmagus leaves a much more dangerous adversary behind to slow the heroes' progress after murdering Mr. Golding in Baccarat.  Dhoulmagus personally crafts how he wants the demon energy to appear making them look benign.  These little trouble makers' pranks turn seriously dangerous in the middle of the night when the Hero and his companions return from the Dragon Graveyard.  Jessica immediately senses that these little jesters are a lot more than they seem and should not be taken lightly.

www.bardofmaple.deviantart.com/art/Demon-seed-iv-dragon-quest-viii-552635996

Edited by Madrigal

Line art for Angelo training Cash with a lite rapier style sword on the way back from the Dragon Cave.  Cash wants to quickly achieve Angelo's suave skill, but tells him this kind of skill doesn't come over night.  Angelo moves gracefully, quick, with a deadly precision while Cash is quick, but not graceful, and not quite on point.  After a couple of battles Angelo realizes Cash has potential but isn't so sure if Cash will stick with it.

www.deviantart.com/art/Cash-and-Angelo-Dragon-Quest-VIII-555554405

Colored Version

www.deviantart.com/art/Cash-and-Angelo-Dragon-Quest-VIII-555832416

Edited by Madrigal
  • Upvote 1

Ok new picture which is just line art right now.  This features Jessica training Carrie with a whip while Angelo is training Cash with a rapier, in these two pictures we still see a bit of the sibling rivalry existing, but this time its much more productive.  Jessica sees that Carrie is a bit ditzy and thinks maybe sticking with the whip will be enough for now.

www.bardofmaple.deviantart.com/art/Girl-Power-Dragon-Quest-VIII-557120429

www.deviantart.com/art/Carrie-and-Jessica-Dragon-Quest-VIII-558413060   - colored and finished.

Edited by Madrigal

This is a commissioned piece of  Ishamahri in my series of NPC (should be playable) characters by MrAwesome45 on Deviant.

http://bardofmaple.deviantart.com/art/Ishmahri-Dragon-Quest-VIII-569607682?ga_submit_new=10%253A1446385753

Edited by Madrigal

Here is a commissioned piece of Marcello returning from defeat as a villain to a redeemed soul to help the Hero and his companions in their greatest time of need.

http://bardofmaple.deviantart.com/art/Marcello-Returns-Dragon-Quest-VIII-572371308

I'll have to say, that's my favorite piece of yours.

Agreed - that's a nice piece. The commissioned pieces were good, but I do enjoy the raw conviction of your artwork. Mainly because my stick figures usually end up with scoliosis.

It's interesting that in my head-thoughts of a DQ8-2, I take a similar approach with expanding the Marcello arc. And while I teeter over redeeming Marcello or not, neither outcome bodes well for him. One day I'll get to penning it all down. Maybe.

@Plattym - Thanks, of course I didn't draw these, I found an artist who has great rates and wanted to see these characters re-drawn to inspire me to keep on with my Demon Seed Inserts for (Hard Mode DQ VIII Version of mine lol)

@Brigam - Thanks, well I haven't really done any of my own art in a while, I started another sketch but haven't finished it yet. This guy helps me with inspiring art so I can do my own later.  Well I have this in mind in lite of the 3ds Version for Marcello.  Marcello will always be a lone wolf until he can confront his own demons completely so he is kind of really on nobodys side.  I kind of have the feeling he saved them in order to repay Angelo for saving his life so that way there were no debts between them.

@DarkBaromos - Thanks MrAwesome45 really puts a lot of effort into these pieces for me.  If any of you would like him to do some art...each character is only 7$!  or 500 Points via deviantart.com

Edited by Madrigal
  • Upvote 1

@DarkBaramos - Thanks MrAwesome45 really puts a lot of effort into these pieces for me.  If any of you would like him to do some art...each character is only 7$!  or 500 Points via deviantart.com

That cost only $7? That's a great price. I might do one sometime.

Yes, if any of you are big fans like me, he can do customized art for whatever game in the series you like :)

He seems to enjoy the characters from Dragon Quest, if you do get some art from him mention me.

Edited by Madrigal

I know my friend on deviant has had this published for awhile but I wanted to add it in my rebirth of DQ VIII threat since it is a written story of the Defense of Alexandria, an added event in my version of the game. He really captures the essence of the event very well, I will post the link so you can read it.

http://www.deviantart.com/art/BoM-MS-4-Alexandria-552559743

Here is the second form of Demon Seed IV monster created by Dhoulmagus that The hero and his team will have the battle after returning with Cash and Carrie from the Dragon Graveyard.

http://bardofmaple.deviantart.com/art/Demonic-Jesters-Combined-Power-Dragon-Quest-VIII-578232237

Edited by Madrigal

http://bardofmaple.deviantart.com/art/King-Clavius-Dragon-Quest-VIII-578922297

Here is King Clavius in a side quest for just after Dhoulmagus is defeated. There is a problem with disappearing travelers and merchants between Ascantha and Argonia - King Clavius summons leaders from different lands to discuss not only commerce and trade, but this issue and a secondary quests is takes place while the heroes deal with Lord Rhapthornes avatars.