Sign in to follow this  
KiTA

"Dragon Quest Heroes" (PS4) announced at TGS

New Dragon Quest spinoff game for PS4 announced at TGS today.  "Dragon Quest Heroes."

It's an Action RPG.  Looks like Dynasty Warriors with a DQ theme.

I wasn't impressed by the little bit I saw.  But it might be good.  Looking for the official trailer.  Horii is talking right now.

Definitely a musou. Japan's also getting a metal slime PS4.

I'm sure we'll get neither.

As someone on GAF pointed out -- what if this is designed to be audience building?  Maybe the thought process is something along the lines of "Hey, those idiot barbarians don't like JRPGs (we're still ignoring Bravely Default selling better in the US than JP, damnit) so hey, lets give them an Action RPG with none of that pesky plot or "RPG" stuff to break their little gaijin heads."

I'm just VERY glad this isn't DQ11.  If they had turned DQ into a damned action RPG there'd be riots in the streets.  :P

I love the thread on Neo GAF.

"HOLY CRAP DRAGON QU... oh it's a Musou game.  Goddamnit Square Enix."

Action RPG? At least its only a spin off. I'd hate to see a main series DQ game devolve. FF was best when it was a DQ rip off.

Also, Alena seems to have forgotten her pants.

Oh the trailer wasn't posted here

Edited by hammerslime

That looks super amazing! And I thought Hyrule Warriors was a great idea to begin with!

Interesting. This would immediately get me thinking of saving for a PS4, but who am I kidding thinking we'll see this outside of Japan? Oh well. Neat though.

Im gonna save money and when times comes, im gonna import that slime ps4 and the game.

ps4dq_hard.png

Doesn't look that appealing, but it might turn out to be interesting.  As others have said, I'm glad it's going to be a spin-off and not a new title in the main series.

I just hope for the game's sake it doesn't use that synth  music played in the trailer for the entire soundtrack, cause it sounds pretty meh.

I actually think this might release here since PS4 sales are the highest gaming console in america right now, and with Square Enix slowly recognizing Dragon Quest lately with all the coverage and news, they might actually cave in 2015 and release the damn thing lol 

We have a good chance of getting this, as the PS4 is the better selling us console at present.

Didn't SE release Rocket Slime as part of a "Dragon Quest Heroes" line? I'm sure I've seen that name while trawling the copyright database. 

Didn't SE release Rocket Slime as part of a "Dragon Quest Heroes" line? I'm sure I've seen that name while trawling the copyright database.

Yep. In the US they changed the original name and released it as Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. It was never called

that in Japan though.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Doesn't look like it'll be as good as most other DQ games (probably better than DQ1, 2, and Swords, but no others) but still...

ME WANT. Very much would buy.

And PS4s aren't region locked, right? I'll have to import the metal slime PS4 when I decide to get one. (I've already decided that that's the console I want this Gen, but my PC has been serving me well enough that I haven't needed/wanted to spend the money on a new console yet.

(Also, does the PS4 play PS1 games yet? If so, only classics, only disks, or both? Would the PS4 be region locked for PS1 disks, or will it play all region PS1 games? If I can't play Crash, Spyro, Torneko, or DW7 on the Japanese PS4 due to region locking, that is a deal breaker.)

Yes. Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime. I wonder (assuming we do ever get any more spin offs) if they'll deprecate that title, rename the new DQH, or fit the new DQH into that line of products.
  • Upvote 1

The PS4 has software for it, but Sony discourages region-locking.

Toei Kemco and Omega Force are likely the ones doing the publishing as far as I can tell. Square Enix might have a publisher tag-on, but we've gotten most every Dynasty release.

So... expect this title. Seriously. We've gotten 3 or 4 GUNDAM Dynasty Warriors titles, for crying out loud.

The PS4 has software for it, but Sony discourages region-locking.

Toei Kemco and Omega Force are likely the ones doing the publishing as far as I can tell. Square Enix might have a publisher tag-on, but we've gotten most every Dynasty release.

So... expect this title. Seriously. We've gotten 3 or 4 GUNDAM Dynasty Warriors titles, for crying out loud.

What about PS1 games though?

Just realized this game is made by the creators of Dynasty Warriors. Never played any of the games, but it always pisses me off when I search for DW7 and get Dynasty Warriors 7.

They're bring DW to DQ... Worth a lol, right?

I think it's more worth me buying a PS4.

I like hack and slashes, and Dynasty Warriors is a good representative of it. I enjoyed a PSP release they had, so.

Loto fighting hundreds of slimes, led by a slime king? SOLD.

I hate the musou series so much. Damnit it... I have to get this. Ps4 is region free though right?

Well this is one game I ain't getting anytime soon (I may get it eventually though). I'd prefer it be on a system I already own so that I don't have to spend a bunch of money getting the system.

As I said before, it has no HARDWARE-based region locking. Sony leaves that up to the publishers, and according to reports, actively tells them "You don't wanna do that.".

I would say it's a 75% chance we get this game here. EXTREMELY GOOD ODDS. SE is not likely going to be the one publishing this. Koei Temco will, or they will co-publish. I don't think we haven't gotten a Dynasty-series game here. Only PC ports have been left out.

This is a game that I'm going to be emailing Sony on. They have serious power when it comes to Square Enix. 

Unlike Nintendurr of Japon. Pretty damn sure that if Nintendo of America wanted to try out DQX here, it might've happened.

Though with DQ7, I did not know at -all- the script is that big for it. Jesus.

It's been a long time since we've had a good Dragon Quest game come stateside.  

I don't know why we haven't had DQ VII for the DS brought over.

This looks very cool!  I may have to invest in a PS4, I would like to see DQ XI for a bigger console and done similarly to DQ VIII.

I wonder why the sudden return to Sony with this one spin-off game.

And it's actually really jarring seeing the Dragon Quest artstyle animated in CG.

EDIT: Oh, and guys, it's coming to PS3 as well so there's no need to go running out and spending $400 on a system to play a game people don't seem all that interested in.

Edited by eal