Sign in to follow this  
redneckpride4ever

SE speaks on DQ7

Yes, but people unfairly equate the two, which casts the practice of emulation in a bad light. Just because pirates usually go by way of emulation doesn't mean that's all emulation is good for or that emulation itself is illegal.

Emulation isn't illegal.  It's the ROMs that are illegal if you don't actually own the games and make the back up yourself.  Or something like that.

• Upvote 1

I really only have roms (or disc images, whatever may be the case) of games that I have bought in the past.  I just no longer have the working consoles to play them on.  That being said, I would have no qualms whatsoever with downloading and playing roms that I don't own if the need ever arose.  There's no need to argue any points on this as everyone here has already made up their minds on the matter (and that's okay).  Unless you are a physical game collector, it seems like a giant waste of time and money to track down a physical copy of DW7 in the year 2014.  PSX emulation has been in great shape for years now and even the ones on mobile devices work well enough these days. 

Ironically I couldn't boot DWVII for my livestream today. It worked before, and all my other PSX games still work, so I can't figure ou what's wrong. Oh well, I'm wiping my computer soon because windows is being stupid so I'll figure it out after the reinstall.

Now that I think of it, I didn't pirate, all the games I have emulated I have owned at some point, excepting imports like Seiken Densetsu 3.

Once I figure out how to do it, I will try to emulate DQ VII just because I want to know the game inside and out before I really do any art with it.

When emulating older 2D games and stretching the graphics without filters and without distortion it looks good, but I can't really play 3D N64 or PS1 games on emulators after seeing them on a TV, the emulators completely change the way they look and I think it's not that good. 

Edited by wiregu

Sadly unless I spend 60$ to buy the game, I will have to wait until or if they decide to port DQ VII on the 3DS to play :(

It makes me sad, because I feel like I'm missing a really good game!

It isn't that hard to emulate it, use ePSXe or PSXFin and find an ISO. :)

Sadly unless I spend 60$ to buy the game, I will have to wait until or if they decide to port DQ VII on the 3DS to play :(

It makes me sad, because I feel like I'm missing a really good game!

Don't worry, we won't rub it in.

You are.

Oh.

Well I'm going to try what Matt said.  I really liked the Manga so I want to play it.  I know story wise, I'm missing a good game.  

The only real reason to want to play Dragon Quest VII is you get to battle God, and any game that lets you battle God is worth a few hundred hours of your life.

The only real reason to want to play Dragon Quest VII is you get to battle God, and any game that lets you battle God is worth a few hundred hours of your life.

That would definitely hold true for me because I am a grind freak!

Make sure you use a software renderer for VII if you use epsxe.  All kinds of fun stuff happens if you don't.

Don't use the software renderer. Use Pete's OGL2 plugin. It works great! (Do NOT use the old OGL plugin or the DX plugin, those are the "problem" renderers.)

You guys aren't making emulation seem easy. "You need either this one or this one." "Use a software renderer too." "No, use this thing instead. And don't use this version or this version."

I'm trying to make it easier. Dq7 is oddly hard to emulate. I know the optimal settings for the game, and I'm trying to pass them on.

If you want to make things easier on people stop telling them to use the 3D renders. I've yet to come across one that works properly with VII. Use Pete's SoftGPU. http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm

Edited by Cain

Cain, if you don't believe me, try Pete's OpenGL 2 plugin.

I did the last time I played the game in an emulator when I was making my classless videos.  The game looked fine until you open the menu or talk to someone. The background would go all blurry any time a text window was up.  I tried all the plugins I could find and all the 3D ones did that.  Seeing as how they haven't been updated since 2009, I'm pretty sure the result would be the same.  Maybe you discovered some settings that resolves that issue, and if so you should share them.

Edited by Cain

If you want to make things easier on people stop telling them to use the 3D renders. I've yet to come across one that works properly with VII. Use Pete's SoftGPU. http://www.pbernert.com/html/gpu.htm

That's the one you advised me to use and it worked perfectly for me.

So I'll also recommend it.

I did the last time I played the game in an emulator when I was making my classless videos. The game looked fine until you open the menu or talk to someone. The background would go all blurry any time a text window was up. I tried all the plugins I could find and all the 3D ones did that. Seeing as how they haven't been updated since 2009, I'm pretty sure the result would be the same. Maybe you discovered some settings that resolves that issue, and if so you should share them.

That's not an emulator bug, that's the nature of the game. Any game that internally takes a screenshot (at least with that method) will do that because it becomes a 320x240 2D image stretched to your screen resolution. It's not a big deal to me, but if you use the full screen filter option as well as a toon shader it's not really noticeable.

The game looked fine until you open the menu or talk to someone. The background would go all blurry any time a text window was up.

That's not an emulator bug, that's the nature of the game. Any game that internally takes a screenshot (at least with that method) will do that because it becomes a 320x240 2D image stretched to your screen resolution. It's not a big deal to me, but if you use the full screen filter option as well as a toon shader it's not really noticeable.

You could fix it by making it look like the actual game. I think playstation emulators let you play with the native resolution (and stretch it to your desktop). Everything would be a bit jaggy but it'd be more authentic and when the game opens the menu it shouldn't have a noticeable difference.

Edited by wiregu

There's that too but I hate jaggies.