• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First up, I really appreciate Fujimoto for giving the interviewer, and us in return, a real response. None of this PR tripe that they've been spouting for the past couple of years. Would anyone like t

Every time I hear that Joker 2 bombed I make an "eh" face. They had some very nice convention coverage and material. Plus I helped out with the campaign, so I guess I didn't do my job properly...  

Also, just to add, as much as I hate to say it, it is...for once...sound reasoning on Square Enix's part. They've dug multiple money pits for plenty of games, but none of them had localizations that c

I think the Twitter campaign idea is better than anything now.  Bundled with the mobile ports, the new announcement of a PS4 title, Sony's answer to Hyrule Warriors shows that they're starting to get interested again.  Now is the right time to make a new operation.

For twitter to work though, we need catchy hashtags that would be easy to spread, and have something attached for people to look for.  Youtube videos with the hashtag embedded in the "about" section.  Artwork on Gabo.  Something for Arus/Hobo-Link as well.  Maybe even for Kiefer and Maribel (Gabo and Arus I think are easier to pull off).

I really love the GotGabo as a hashtag.  #GotGabo is pretty catchy to say in real life as well.

I also like the HoboLinkDoes, or HoboLink period, and play off the connection in terms of pure looks of Link and HoboLink...works better since Zelda and DQ7 3DS are on Nintendo consoles.

All things considered, we could be doing far worse right now. 

9 sold very well, 6 sold well, but Joker 2 bombed. It seems that they hinged the entire "dark age" on Joker 2.

Spin off games for most any series tend to sell less. Even in Japan, a DQ spin off will not see the numbers of a main series game. I could understand Kickstarting spin offs only because you're essentially asking them to gamble.

DQX is an oddball. Being an MMO, they created what in raw sales figures was a main series game that "bombed", subscription profits aside. The US is a far more MMO friendly place, but like any new online game, it may be the next big hit or simply be a small fish in an ocean of sharks. You also need to consider that the DQ fanbase may not be MMO heavy, while the MMO crowd may or may not like DQ as a series. You'd have to design a different sort of marketing blitz. You'd have to make the game shine to a crowd of theoretically WoW infused players. The DQ series is far more anime in style than WoW or even the modern FFs. Granted, a blitz of DQX geared toward the MMO crowd would also appeal to the crowd who goes for DQ, but we run again into the issue "is the DQ crowd geared at all to online". I say yes, but alone not enough to get subscription rates up.

As for subscription rates, if you're not willing to shell out a mere 15 bucks a month for a quality game, you're being cheap. My WoW subscription payed for some of the finest customer service I ever had. Worth every penny, especially a bugged quest that can't be completed. While I was playing, I got a PM from a Blizzard employee to answer my ticket. She asked me to log off and told me she would have my quest in completed status when I returned, XP and all.

• Upvote 2

I agree on the Operation Hero name. It sounds really nice but when I googled it the other day I brought more military things than DQ things.

DQX is pretty different from most MMOs on the market right now since it's not a "theme park" mmo. WoW, Tera and even FFXIV to an extent are "theme parks" which means you get sent to one place to level a few times and do x quests that don't fit a hero who's supposed to save the world, move on to the next place and repeat until cap and then do nothing but raid for gear after cap. FFXIV is less a themepark than others since each area covers 1-50 with normal mobs and the story sends you all around the world. But all it really means is they moved the hubs from each new camp and just have you go back to a central hub each time (Minfilia's room)

There actually is an audience for people who don't like the WoW style mmo, or were FFXI, RO fans and such. Most of them are playing FFXIV, FFXI private servers, waiting for tree of savior or not playing mmos at all until something appeals to them. We'd need some way to explain this to SE and let them know there's potential for the market if they can get there before another game fills that void. I imagine they think sales of FFXIV would suffer here as well if XIV came over, and they probably would (I'd unsub from 14 for DQX) but both games appeal to different mmo demographics so both can thrive well if they approached the games and communities properly.

As for letter bombing, It's a great idea but I think we should have themes for each letter. Since everyone sending the exact same letter would seem less genuine, but everyone talking on points they care about with guidelines on how to express them well is good. And this way someone who may not care for DQX, or DQM2 can just not touch on it at all. There's a chance no letter would be read, but just getting the letters frequently is enough of a sign that people are letting the company know what they want. We do need to get letters sent to the Japanese branch and possibly even Nintendo. Also emails your letters to the companies at the same time

For twitter we should probably do something weekly or less frequently. I'm sure whoever's in charge of the twitter ignores most notifications but I'm still sure having DQ pop up every day would be annoying. Unless we manage to trend, then go ham.

Phone calls infrequently would also be good (monthly?) if we can even get public office numbers

Oh and letters/emails should say that we really don't want/give a $#!& about each town in each game having a different dialect and making the localization process take longer/cutting content for something so inane

• Upvote 2

I like Got Gabo?  Its catchy.  What should we replace Operation Hero with though?  Dragon Wing sounds good, but there might be something better.  Also Ayukawa, I agree with most of what you're saying with the letters, except for them rushing with the dialogue.  If Horii and company need to do something to make the quality up to snuff, they should work hard.  We don't want another DQIV with the party chat cut out.

LOL, Ayukawa...that last bit, all the way up to it, is entirely up to you.  Bah, I wrote that poorly.  I meant to say, I agree with everything up to the last point you made, which I say go ahead to anyone that wants to, but count me out, though NEVER, EVER in a formal letter campaign, only a personal letter campaign.  Since formal has to be simple, and all of them the same: a basic pledge to give SE money for DQ7 (as in release the game, we'll buy it first bloody day, as we pledge to do).

Since opinions on the "accents" are based on different perspectives it should only be individual personal letters.  Granted, DQ4 and 5 are the only ones WITH accents.  DQ5 is very light shifts between different standard brittish accents, and DQ4 having an array of different dialects and regional accents from russian to scottish.  Personally I, and many others, unlike yourself, REALLY loved the accents.  They provide extra personality for me, and give the feel of a real world, since it's ludicrous to assume everyone speaks in the same manner, but again, this is personal perspective and desire.  So if you feel that way, I say go for it in a personal letter/email.

I guess my only peeve is never to abuse puns in quite the way DQ9 did.  I enjoyed it the first time, but it gets a little ridiculous afterwards.  Though now they've established specific enemy groups with specific new enemy names, and any crossovers in DQ7 would have to carry these over.  The one saving grace is that unlike ALL other Dragon Quests before or since, Dragon Quest 7 has only about 2-3% of its monster list borrowed directly from previous games.  97-98% are all original creations, even ones that look similar are so uniquely different in their design in 7 (save for those obvious 2-3%) that they stand out as independent creations that deserve their own name.  So I breath a sigh of relief on that, that perhaps they'll approach original monster names as with 4, 5, and 6. Some puns here and there, but not every single normal monster name.

Edited by ignasia7

First up, I really appreciate Fujimoto for giving the interviewer, and us in return, a real response. None of this PR tripe that they've been spouting for the past couple of years. Would anyone like to see the script for DQ VII?

Dragon-Quest-VII.jpg

Thankfully, VII was when Horii began typing the script instead of writing by hand. And this is in Japanese, which is considered a smaller language than English. Quoting my interview with Justin from ye olde Enix days, "I wish I had taken a picture of how much text was in that game- If I remember correctly it was something like 120 3 inch, 3 ring binders full of paper. That is an enormous amount of text."

Plus Alpha is two people. Three if Oli Chance is editing, I guess. Then there are the people who translate into Spanish, German, Italian, and whatever else I'm forgetting. Given the scope of how Plus Alpha works, that really is a ton of translating, planning, writing, editing, and testing. At least a year, if we're lucky! It's disheartening that nothing has been started, though I think if Square Enix would finally stop treating DQ poorly and keep letting Nintendo publish, I think it would sell.

I mean, Bravely Default sold well...and it's terrible!

You're forgetting French...

That hurts my feelings...

But seriously, this is a huge news. 

They are saying us we can make a difference. We got from being nothing at all to a glimpse of hope. This is not a lot, but this is still at least something. We can't lose hope and stop fighting when it's what we should do the most. 

There's even a pretty important possibility of Slime Mori Mori 3 in the West (because it doesn't cost as much to publish.).

If anything I take this as an encouagement to continue and do it bigger and better.

There is a public for DQVII. I'm sure of it.

Oh Sack I think you read it wrong. I DON'T want them to rush the translation. I just don't want them to go crazy with the dialects and end up cutting stuff out like what happened with 4.

ignasia, I was actually ok with accents in 5 and 6 and some of them in 9. Joker's were ehh and 4's were just terrible. I still can't get over Alena sounding like she's brain damaged half the time she's talking. But yeah, thats just something I feel is important to note since the dialects are why the party chat got cut from 4DS in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Oh Sack I think you read it wrong. I DON'T want them to rush the translation. I just don't want them to go crazy with the dialects and end up cutting stuff out like what happened with 4.

ignasia, I was actually ok with accents in 5 and 6 and some of them in 9. Joker's were ehh and 4's were just terrible. I still can't get over Alena sounding like she's brain damaged half the time she's talking. But yeah, thats just something I feel is important to note since the dialects are why the party chat got cut from 4DS in the first place.

Heh, given your avatar, I can understand that.  Though if you've ever been around an Eastern European just learning or coming to learn English and speak it, it's surprisingly similar (for a time anyway).  I can feel you on that a bit.  I actually enjoyed it, but the extreme accents were so polarizing, maybe I should take back my position.  The one saving grace is that I believe Plus Alpha actually did pay attention to fan grief and angst over the extreme accents, and the polarizing nature of having such a wide variety of dialects.  Regardless of my feelings towards the usage of them, it would not be helpful to Dragon Quest as a whole if we had another DQ4 accent range.

So I guess take this as me changing my position from the perspective of ensuring maximum outreach and potential fans.

I don't care about the accents either way. But if that would add to the cost of a 7 localization, I'd certainly write a letter encouraging them to not go that "extra mile".

As for 10... like I said, they'd have to really study the demographics. I think they could pull it off. Every series once started as a newcomer, so a semi established series may also be the next surprise hit. No guarantee, but think of it this way...

When Hank Williams Sr. recorded Lovesick Blues, it was called by his own people "a mess". It was regarded as a horrible rendition. Guess what? Fred Rose was shocked when it shot up to #1 and stayed there for 16 weeks. Hank knew that live audiences loved it, and ignored the pleadings of his record producer. Selling 50,000 copies in the first 2 weeks, it launched Hank into the role he arguably still holds: the King of Country music.

Anyway, its nice to see the Hero petition surge another 350 signatures or so in the last few days. We stand at 2,800! So, how can we reach out to the peeps? Lots of good ideas coming in. Can we get everyone to commit to at least one act?

And let's have our letters contain some thanks for the willingness of SE to at least break their silence. At least they're being honest for once.

• Upvote 3

I agree.  Those accents should just stay away.  They are a hassle and only make playing the game hard because we have to try to figure out what the NPCs are saying.  This is why DQVIII was great.  The voice acting got rid of any need for in text accents.

Because they would be completely overshadowed by Pokemon.

Creating a fan-made-game with tilesets ripped from DQ games is aok.  Creating a game with the name "Dragon Quest" in it, anywhere, is not ok and illegal.

Huh?

He means that the name itself is licensed, but not the tileset assets.

You can make a fangame with a carbon-copy overworld of DQ1, but name it DQ, or use any of their official art? You're gonna have a bad time.

SE's Facebook page has an entry: DQ8 on sale. The entry has 1,058 likes. All the other entries are in the range of 250-350 likes. I've never seen (that I can recall) an SE FB post with that many likes.

You think that as we sit here on this forum that there's actually a huge groundswelling of DQ fans that are letting SE know what they think?

• Upvote 2

SE's Facebook page has an entry: DQ8 on sale. The entry has 1,058 likes. All the other entries are in the range of 250-350 likes. I've never seen (that I can recall) an SE FB post with that many likes.

You think that as we sit here on this forum that there's actually a huge groundswelling of DQ fans that are letting SE know what they think?

Its because Dragon Quest VIII is literally the most mainstream game in the series.  Its about as well known as any of the Final Fantasy games.  I frequent the IGN Boards alot and thats the only game in the series that anyone is familiar with.  DQ's 1-7 are a complete mystery to them.  

• Upvote 1

Its because Dragon Quest VIII is literally the most mainstream game in the series.  Its about as well known as any of the Final Fantasy games.  I frequent the IGN Boards alot and thats the only game in the series that anyone is familiar with.  DQ's 1-7 are a complete mystery to them.  

Over 1000 likes? Over a semi bashed mobile port? I don't even think Type 0 saw those numbers (Vita people not withstanding).

Thank you.

That is one of my peeves, people thinking Kickstarter is a HealAll. It isn't.

Fixed that for you. :P

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

That is one of my peeves, people thinking Kickstarter is a HealAll. It isn't.

Fixed that for you. :P

LOL, nice one Ruesen!

Seriously,

we are fans.

We would buy it if it comes on 3DS, but I think if they haven't even started translating, it's just ok, don't bring it here.

I mean, we are fans, but the new 3DS (New 3DS, I think) is already coming, and the casual players that would buy one game or another if the Reviews are really good and if their friends are playing, are NOT going to buy it anymore. They will prefer buying any new worse game for New 3DS than buying a good buy old technology for 3DS.

There are FEW games that make late release and can be still a success, Pokemon BW2 for example, but that is Pokemon... It would sell anywhere.

DQ VII did the late release for PS and was not good. The casual players were already playing PS2 and other games to really pay attention in DQ VII.

Bringing DQ VII for 3DS this way, can maybe be a failure.

Edited by diogoow

Seriously,

we are fans.

We would buy it if it comes on 3DS, but I think if they haven't even started translating, it's just ok, don't bring it here.

I mean, we are fans, but the new 3DS (3DS LL, I think) is already coming, and the casual players that would buy one game or another if the Reviews are really good and if their friends are playing, are NOT going to buy it anymore. They will prefer buying any new worse game for 3DS LL than buying a good buy old technology for 3DS.

There are FEW games that make late release and can be still a success, Pokemon BW2 for example, but that is Pokemon... It would sell anywhere.

DQ VII did the late release for PS and was not good. The casual players were already playing PS2 and other games to really pay attention in DQ VII.

3DS LL is just the name for the 3DS XL in Japan.

the New 3DS is literally the New 3DS.

• Upvote 1

Seriously,

we are fans.

I mean, we are fans, but the new 3DS (3DS LL, I think) is already coming, and the casual players that would buy one game or another if the Reviews are really good and if their friends are playing, are NOT going to buy it anymore. They will prefer buying any new worse game for 3DS LL than buying a good buy old technology for 3DS.

3DS LL is just the name for the 3DS XL in Japan.

the New 3DS is literally the New 3DS.

Ok, sorry for my mistake! I will just edit writing New 3DS instead.