Sign in to follow this  
mnicolai

Square Enix Planning More Mobile Dragon Quest Releases Very Soon

Looking forward to the rest of the Erdrick trilogy. But I'm especially looking forward to VII.

The guy called Erdrick the Hero and who has Arus as an avatar is excited for the Erdrick trilogy and Dragon Quest VII? NO. WAY.

Lol.

I'm most excited for DQ2.  Because it was my first and thus holds that sweet spot in my heart.

I will never forget my first venture into the Cave to Rhone.

Or the second, third, forth ... thirtieth, thirty first...

DQ3 was my first.

Jipang...

DQI or III was my first. That was before I could read well enough for an RPG though, so I never accomplished anything.

The first time I REALLY played a DQ game was when Dragon Warrior 7 came out on the PlayStation. I was five, and I had to get help from my mom a lot, but it was fun. I'll never forget it. It's why I get so nostalgic over Dragon Quest VII.

I just realized. Maybe this will open the door to a DQ Super Light localization?

Wahoo!

Some free monster-hunting game. Ask Platty. He loves it.

That I do. Geeze, I musta poured 100 hours or so into it for about 3 months before it got too grind heavy. That and after 3 months of barely understanding a thing...

I played it too, more simplistic version of DQ monsters, but still interesting

Very much so!

I will never forget my first venture into the Cave to Rhone.

Or the second, third, forth ... thirtieth, thirty first...

See... And it's been a decade since I last played DQII. I can't recall that cave for the life of me.

That cave.... It was like easy street until you get to the cave to Rhone and Rhone itself and then you get the $#!& beat out of you.

It's all, "Yes! Almost there!"

"GOLD BATBOONS?!"

or

"FOUR GREEN DRAGONS?!"

FML

Gotta love getting into a battle with four of those eye ball monsters and losing all your MP two rounds into your first fight of the cave.

Man, I can't wait to get the crap kicked out of me in the mobile game when it releases here.  Of course, being able to quick save in dungeons and anywhere on the map will probably nerf the hell out of it, but nobody is forcing us to use those features.

Gotta love getting into a battle with four of those eye ball monsters and losing all your MP two rounds into your first fight of the cave.

Ugh, yes.  Them and PuppetMen in other places.

I can't tell you how many times I made it through the cave, and then on the short walk to the Rhone shrine got attacked by Blizzards or Gold Batboons and promptly got destroyed.

I don't remember too much trouble in the cave for me.  It has been a while since I played Dragon Quest II so I am looking forward to it.  I finished the NES version before the internet.  People sometimes knock Dragon Quest II but I have fond memories of it.  I am itching to play it again.  I played a part but not finished the GBC version and I played very very little of the Super Famicom version. 

@smacd watch the spoilers.  The last version of this game to be released in the United States was over ten years ago so a lot of people have not played it.  Also, spoilers are not appropriate for this broad of a topic.

Well, I think the fact that it came out 10 years ago means that it's open to spoilers. It's an old game.

• Upvote 1

Well, I think the fact that it came out 10 years ago means that it's open to spoilers. It's an old game.

Yeah. If we're going to be getting all the old games here in the next few months, I don't feel like censoring every damn thing about every damn game. Are we supposed to censor ourselves for both new games and old games? Are we even allowed to speak about any game?

I don't feel like being part of any issues with spoilers (even if it is something that people have no excuse to not know anymore, like Darth Vader being Luke Skywalker's dad). So I just won't post any details about any of the games.

WTF!?

His dad!?

I just said something because it is an old game that didn't sell well so many fans will play it for the first time.  I am sure if you made a Dragon Quest II topic with the tag spoilers it would be ok to yap away.  I didn't think that saying a particular dungeon was hard was a spoiler btw.

spoiler: You are the descendant of Erdrick! You must kill Hargon! All of the monsters near Hargon can kick your @$$! 

YES! YEEEESSSSSSSSS!!! YOU ARE ALL MY DESCENDANTS AND SHALL DO MY BIDDING!

What? It doesn't work that way? Oh.

I don't remember too much trouble in the cave for me.  It has been a while since I played Dragon Quest II so I am looking forward to it.  I finished the NES version before the internet.  People sometimes knock Dragon Quest II but I have fond memories of it.  I am itching to play it again.  I played a part but not finished the GBC version and I played very very little of the Super Famicom version. 

I have never met a person who didn't hate that cave with the fiery passion of ten thousand suns, what with it's ridiculous monster groupings, the early monsters that zap your MP, the hidden (Hidden!) pitfalls, the 'oops wrong way, start over' mazes and the infinite hallway floor.  It is definitely a prime example of 'that one dungeon.' Also an extreme wake up call that stuff is about to get real.

Though if you had few problems, extreme hat tipping goes to you, sir. :)

I beat DW2 before the internet too, though I did have a little Nintendo Power help for a few of the things whose in-game clues were... lacking.  I still remember spending around a week trying to find my way through the lighthouse though.  For the longest time I thought it was just a tower in which to train that held nothing important.

If we are supposed to swallow no 3DS games because the mobile thing is good so people who never had access to the games can now finally play them (this is a good thing, it just does not substitute getting all the other releases, some of them completely new games), then we should also respect those guys, who may then find this site thanks to the mobile releases.

All we ask is a little restraint. Of course, if the topic is clearly labeled to indicate some end-point plots from DQ III are discussed, then it may be safer to talk freely there. But if the talk is about new releases, and has even gone on about how this is good for new people, then I simply cannot understand what makes it so irritating to you guys to abstain from mentioning spoilers here. Even if the games have been out for 25 years.

Especially if the games were released 25 years ago. A 25 years old gamer might just be discovering it now.

As a comparison, whenever I have played the Japanese releases, I could very easily spoil many things for people. I could say "c'mon, the game has already been out for more than a year". That would not mean I would be less of a jerk.

• Upvote 1

I was not really talking about you. When I got here, you had already edited whatever spoiler or non spoiler you had written.

But other people have taken the "will spoil any game that old if I want" thing to extremes, as if asking them some discretion was worse than asking them to rape their children and we should be executed for it.

The movies comparison is not exactly alike. Those movies are shown at the TV all the time. Even if they get remastered or something, the old movies can be seen without effort.

But how exactly is someone who perhaps never even heard of the series until now (thanks to the oh-spo-wonderful-mobile-releases-that-should-make-us-forget-the-games-we-do-not-get) supposed to have played those old games, even if they had "plenty of time to play"? Take into account that emulation is not the solution for everyone.

That is why I think we should respect these new guys' right to be surprised by the games, just like we were when we played them. It just takes a little effort (and disposition) to at least mention spoilers are coming (no need to spoiler tag everything, we could just give warnings so people stop reading if they want).

And the Den is a place where we can discuss many things. It has remained a place that does not need heavy moderation precisely because we can talk about these topics and (many times) reach agreements about behavior. If you will take everything that is not necesarily directed at you so personally, and if you do not want people disagreeing with you, then I know this is not the right place for you.

And this being a DQ-focused forum makes me think we should be even more careful about spoilers. People will actually come here when they learn of the series through these new releases. I, for one, would like to show enough respect to them. I would like them to be able to browse the forums knowing they will not run into any comment that will ruin their game without warning.

Sign in to follow this