Sign in to follow this  
mnicolai

Square Enix Planning More Mobile Dragon Quest Releases Very Soon

Comments from Yuji Horii creator of Dragon question and the last part it  "We've already released dragon quest Viii and IV but the remaining titles in the series are also making making its way to mobile devices, so we'd greatly appreciate your continued support! Thank you."

In context he's referring to NA releases of dragon quest for mobile and it pretty much confirms if i am not mistaken that dq7 will be coming out west for mobile as he said remaining titles.  1-3, 5,6 and 7 are the only ones not out for NA for mobile of the 8 that was stated to be coming out for mobile devices.

I caught that too, but I wouldn't use it as confirmation.  He most likely has no say which games get released outside of Japan.  I think if we do get VII, it will only be on mobile but will be based on the 3DS version.  All the releases thus far have been based on the most current version of the game and the reality is that more people own a smart phone than a 3DS.  Like it or not, smart phones are the future of portable gaming and will kill off handhelds completely eventually.

• Upvote 1

A shame, but true.

Though... I do have plans on getting a 2DS sometime. If I get a job and have the spare money.

To be frank, my gripe about the 3DS involves the entire line. They're clamshells with bad hinges.

I caught that too, but I wouldn't use it as confirmation.  He most likely has no say which games get released outside of Japan.  I think if we do get VII, it will only be on mobile but will be based on the 3DS version.  All the releases thus far have been based on the most current version of the game and the reality is that more people own a smart phone than a 3DS.  Like it or not, smart phones are the future of portable gaming and will kill off handhelds completely eventually.

From what i heard it'll be based on the 3ds.  And most that i heard about 7 not maybe not coming out west was mostly in regards to 3ds not mobile.  If they were thinking of not bringing 7 out west for mobile, He wouldn't be using the word remaining but to the lines of more dragon quests games are coming to mobile.   

Bad hinges is hardly a reason to disregard an entire best-selling gaming system and say mobile is the One True King and that things should only come to mobile because it's the best thing ever. How did you feel about phones when they did have hinges?

• Upvote 4

I

Like it or not, smart phones are the future of portable gaming and will kill off handhelds completely eventually.

True. And I really think this will not be so far from now. I am anxious to see what Nintendo will do. They better find a completely new disruptive idea, because I think it will be hard for them enter in another market (smartphone or tablet market).

Bad hinges is hardly a reason to disregard an entire best-selling gaming system and say mobile is the One True King and that things should only come to mobile because it's the best thing ever. How did you feel about phones when they did have hinges?

A clamshell phone didn't eventually get all loose like the DS line.

I remember my old DS Lite that I played for years and took immaculate care of the screens only to have the hinge snap one day when I closed it.  I remember that day well because about 30 minutes later I got a phone call telling me that my son's mother had died.  It was a bad day all around.  We have three 3ds's in my house now (2 originals and 1 XL) and haven't had any such issues so far.  I think I read somewhere that the 3ds hinge is a little looser to avoid any similar breakage. 

• Upvote 1

I've owned three Nintendo DSs since 2006: the original, the DS Lite, and a 3DS. Only the original has ever snapped one of its hinges and that thing took a beating during its existence. I took it everywhere, I dropped it down several flights of stairs, etc. It's still functional too.

It always ended up being so loose for me. Ended up not being able to stay in position.

It always ended up being so loose for me. Ended up not being able to stay in position.

Obviously the problem is you then. If you treat the system the way it should be and not like a basketball, the hinges would be fine. I'm sure the EE's wouldn't mind if you stopped letting them practice with any of your handheld gaming systems.

• Upvote 1

I've never had an issue with either of my DS lites or my 3DS. Not a definitive answer, but I've never had problems with them.

Well, talking about me and my brother, we had DSi, DSi XL, 3 DS and 3 DS XL and we never had any problem.

In case, I thought it to have a really good quality compared to other consoles. I remember that I had a lot of problems with my PS2.

I had a launch PS2 that the disc drive broke 3 times on.  It scratched my discs and everything.

I've heard a lot of bad things about the launch PS2s.

Obviously the problem is you then. If you treat the system the way it should be and not like a basketball, the hinges would be fine. I'm sure the EE's wouldn't mind if you stopped letting them practice with any of your handheld gaming systems.

I had a PSP-1000 for 5 years before the UMD drive on it finally gave out and I went to a modded PSP-2000. Had that for 3.

I've had at least 10 DS systems, DS, DSi, and 3DS. I got a DSI XL because my DSi's hinge broke. I got a 3DS XL because my 3DS's hinge got weak.

I do not like the hinge. 

My launch PS2 was the worst experience I've ever had with any gaming hardware, ever.  I had a good friend who had pretty much the same thing happen with his.  I ended up getting a Gamecube and a handful of games for it after my PS2 had to be shipped off 3 times and still wasn't working properly.  After that, I was strictly PC and handhelds for over a decade.  Yes, I was THAT soured on consoles by my PS2 experience.

I had a launch-model PS2 for a long time.

Still remember my mema not knowing about the memory card. Ha.

My PS2 -might- be a launch model. I bought it used at a Thrift Shop. (I had more than $20 in my pocket, thankfully, because it was $40.) I know it's a phat model. And  I've never had a problem with the disk drive despite it being dismantled for modding. (I didn't have a slide card so I took the top of the case off...) Eventually I broke down and bought 007 Agent Under Fire so I could install FreeMCBoot, but until then that's how I played DQV. Which I no longer have, because I deleted my illegitimate games. And destroyed the disk. Someday, I will import. And burn a new disk anyways because that's the only way to patch it.

I had a PSP-1000 for 5 years before the UMD drive on it finally gave out and I went to a modded PSP-2000. Had that for 3.

I've had at least 10 DS systems, DS, DSi, and 3DS. I got a DSI XL because my DSi's hinge broke. I got a 3DS XL because my 3DS's hinge got weak.

I do not like the hinge. 

The hinge does not like you.

• Upvote 1

Clearly.

I just realized. Maybe this will open the door to a DQ Super Light localization?

What is that, anyway?

Some free monster-hunting game. Ask Platty. He loves it.

I played it too, more simplistic version of DQ monsters, but still interesting