Sign in to follow this  
mnicolai

Square Enix Planning More Mobile Dragon Quest Releases Very Soon

The Den: "WE WANT MORE DRAGON QUEST!"

SE: "Here's everything on your phone."

The Den: "THATS NOT THE ONE I WANTED, I WANT MORE DRAGON QUEST JUST NOT THAT DRAGON QUEST."

• Upvote 2

I know, right?

The Den: "THATS NOT THE ONE I WANTED, I WANT MORE DRAGON QUEST JUST NOT THAT DRAGON QUEST."

Funny, but true. It's not that we don't appreciate the ports getting released here, but we want games that haven't been released here at all before. As in, Rocket Slime 2/Rocket Slime 3/Boat Slime/whatever-they-would-call-it or DQX. (Thinking back on it, are these the only recent games that aren't remakes?)

Or at least the remake of VII, which I want badly just because VII is my favorite game ever. I don't know why everybody else is going gaga over it instead of the new games, as people don't seem to care about the other remakes nearly as much. Especially when so many people bash on VII. (Maybe it's BECAUSE they bash on VII? Because the intro area has been incredibly shortened, and that's what most people complain about?)

I know that an iOS version of VII is likely going to be based off the 3DS version (sadly - that means it will be cut down from the original). What I meant when I brought up the PSX version is that not having enough space for text is bullshit. They could leave the entire script in plaintext and it would probably fit, or they could compress it. The PSX version is so large because it has FMVs. Not only did the FMVs take up so much space, but because it was split to two disks, there is a TON of redundant data. Disk 2 is nearly identical to Disk 1, but with different FMVs and possibly a bit of the beginning is not on it. (and the ending/postgame may not be present on Disk 1). The 3DS version does not use FMVs, from what I can tell. So, take the already less-than-2GB game, drop the FMVs, drop the redundant data, and you likely have less than 1GB (this is an approximation - I don't know for sure, but I'm making an educated guess). Then replace Estard segment with the new estard segment. Gain more space (not much, but a little). Replace all the assets (textures, models, etc.) besides music and you are still probably in the 2GB range. Now, I see the music may be an issue, but they could pull a DQ8 and just use MIDI-based music instead of the orchestrated soundtrack from the 3DS version. (All the other DQ iOS games so far have streaming music, but it's synthesized anyways. So DQ8 doesn't really stand out because of the MIDI music. DQ7 wouldn't either.) Plus if they used MIDI music they could use the full version of Singing Stadium, which got horribly shortened on the Symphonic Suite/3DS version.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Upvote 1

Man, I'm sad, SE is so stubborn that mobiles, from now on, be the ONLY way, to play DQ. I'll refuse to play them on my Iphone and hope somebody keeps putting pressure on them to release them on 3DS and/or PS vita. DQVII deserves its 3DS port out West at least. Sigh, SE are really distancing themselves from a portable RPG publisher to the mobile phone market.

• Upvote 2

I said this on the other topic.

I'd rather see the releases on PSN over 3DS, and mobile over PSN. Granted, my mobile platform is a tablet, and that means I can play these games a lot better than most folk.

Really, SE needs to add controller support for the future titles. Period. Then I think it'll be more recieved well.

But I am really getting tired of seeing people sigh and complain in general. I personally do not like the 3DS, or the DS line at all, due to a rather hinge-y design that tends to die beforelong thanks to my hands. (( I do like the 2DS, and if a 2DS XL ever popped up, I would likely at least look into buying one. But only then if more JRPGs came to the DS, not just DQ or FF. ))

We're getting DQ. Yes, we're getting ports, upmakes, remakes. But we're getting it. People that never heard of 8? They can now! (( Do NOT just say "They can play it on PS2!" That means they have to buy a working PS2, a memory card, and a copy of DQ8. >:( Same goes for DQ4, and double-triple-ultra-mega goes for DQ1. )) The same goes for any future releases. Sure, it sucks that some folk have to get it on a phone (( boo-hoo-hoo-hoo )) or a tablet (( yaaaay )), but that just means portability and ease of use.

DQ8? Yeah, it needed a controller. It's a PS2 game, full3D, multiple cameras, dynamic menu system, yadda yadda. But every other DQ main title that has been released in the US has either been in 2D or doesn't need complicated control schemes. Meaning they're PERFECT for touchscreen devices.

I swear, it's like ya'll don't remember Zelda : Phantom Hourglass. Just think of it like that and it's fine.

• Upvote 1

This topic was rather fun to read after not really paying attention to it at first.  The cries of joy and woe keep swinging the topic back and forth like the pendulum of a clock.

On the one hand, we're getting some love for DQ in one way.  On the other hand, it's only on mobile platforms so far and may stay like that unless SE (or possibly Nintendo depending on the game) has something hidden up their sleeve. I suppose only time will tell if things will change in some way.

Look forward for the rest of the dragon quest games (1-3 and 5-7) coming out on android.   Yea i agree that "technically impossible" is miscommunication.  Of course some people would take that and believe that DQ7 will not be ported to mobile devices.  Sometimes stuff just takes time to do.  I figure DQ7 would be the last of the 1-8 to hit Ios/android.   Even 8 had its own share of difficuly and they managed to get it done.

Just to not not everyone has a nintendo 3ds or could afford one.  Having 7 come out on mobile for some people like myself would be the only way he/she can play it.

Edited by sounderfan84

(( I do like the 2DS, and if a 2DS XL ever popped up, I would likely at least look into buying one. But only then if more JRPGs came to the DS, not just DQ or FF. ))

Matt, you're one of the smarter and generally more common sense posters when it comes to releases on mobile.  However, sometimes you're also an insensitive dick who bases his opinions on total crap and BS.

This is one of your lowest points.  In case you hadn't noticed, the 3DS has received over 1/3 of all RPG releases across all consoles, handhelds, and PC's since release.  It already HAS the largest RPG list out of the Vita, PS4, Xbone, and Wii U.  Mobile is different since releases tend to stick around for a long time, if not forever (a few exceptions).  However did you miss all the Atlus love for the 3DS?  What about the Tales of... love?  How about the other 3rd party love, or even the fact that anyone who did not get Xenoblade Chronicles the first time on Wii, and don't wish to pay 100-300 depending on the week and quality of the disc, will be able to get the game on the N3DS?  How about other collaborative efforts?  Did E3's Fantasy Life slip your mind as well?  How about the fact that the 3DS's steady sales have kept it at the top of the recent generation, and recently the N3DS, which should have been the original release, is Nintendo actually listening to the core base.  How about the Monster Hunter on 3DS?

It's not even that dude.  Sure, I agree, the downtrodden views that this is only bad is ridiculous, but you come off as spiteful of 3DS owners, sticking people in the eye for even mentioning it, as though it's an affront to you personally that people want their 3DS version, and you'd rather any other version but.  Where the fudge does that come from?

• Upvote 3

Just would like to note that there is a difference between having difficulties porting it to mobile and not going to happen due to technical difficulties. square-enix didn't say DQ7 for mobile is canceled due to difficulties. I still think they are working on getting it right to where it'll work on mobile devices.  If they managed to get 8 done for ios/android and that had differnet set of issues than too much text, i have faith that they are able to get DQ7 done for mobile.

My point is that I haven't seen a lot of 3DS JRPGs. Period. There's Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, and SMTIV. (( I consider Eterian Oddesey to be more of a WRPG, as it to me is built like the oldschool PC games we had here like Bard's Tale and such. )) 

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/list-48 - This is the RPG list for 3DS from Gamefaqs. If you further refine it, you will see what I'm talking about. SMT, Code of Princess (( I did forget that one. )) There aren't very many JRPGs on the system at ALL. A handful. A shame, considering the DS had dozens.

I have no interest in the 3DS. But at the same time, folk here seem to have no interest in mobile. We get people going "sighs" and such. And it irks me to no end. Does everyone have a 3DS? NO. Does everyone have a phone? YEP. (( Mostly everyone. More people have phones with Android or iOS than 3DSs. ))

I can understand a general sentiment of "Well, they should be thinking about other consoles instead of focusing on mobile platforms." but when I see "sighs", it makes me want to scream. (( Which I have. >=( ))

We're getting DQ. Yeah, we don't have DQX, and we don't have DQ7 (( Yet, we'll end up getting it, either on the 3DS or mobile, they're just not done with it. I guess they're re-translating it. )). But a generation of people that have never even HEARD of DQ are seeing DQ8 and now DQ4 and soon the earlier titles on an easily accessible platform. 

That means the series is making some kind of comeback.

And that is a good thing.

And I hate Monster Hunter with a passion. Never liked the control scheme, and I've tried the Wii U and 3DS demos. Plays like Resident Evil 1 to me. (( And 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. ))

Off-topic from the post, I also don't like the 3DS due to its still-archaic shop architecture and such. Yeah, I own a Wii U, doesn't mean I like the fact that if it gets stolen, pretty much boned.

My point is that I haven't seen a lot of 3DS JRPGs. Period. There's Bravely Default, Fire Emblem, and SMTIV. (( I consider Eterian Oddesey to be more of a WRPG, as it to me is built like the oldschool PC games we had here like Bard's Tale and such. )) 

http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/list-48 - This is the RPG list for 3DS from Gamefaqs. If you further refine it, you will see what I'm talking about. SMT, Code of Princess (( I did forget that one. )) There aren't very many JRPGs on the system at ALL. A handful. A shame, considering the DS had dozens.

I have no interest in the 3DS. But at the same time, folk here seem to have no interest in mobile. We get people going "sighs" and such. And it irks me to no end. Does everyone have a 3DS? NO. Does everyone have a phone? YEP. (( Mostly everyone. More people have phones with Android or iOS than 3DSs. ))

I can understand a general sentiment of "Well, they should be thinking about other consoles instead of focusing on mobile platforms." but when I see "sighs", it makes me want to scream. (( Which I have. >=( ))

We're getting DQ. Yeah, we don't have DQX, and we don't have DQ7 (( Yet, we'll end up getting it, either on the 3DS or mobile, they're just not done with it. I guess they're re-translating it. )). But a generation of people that have never even HEARD of DQ are seeing DQ8 and now DQ4 and soon the earlier titles on an easily accessible platform. 

That means the series is making some kind of comeback.

And that is a good thing.

And I hate Monster Hunter with a passion. Never liked the control scheme, and I've tried the Wii U and 3DS demos. Plays like Resident Evil 1 to me. (( And 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. ))

Off-topic from the post, I also don't like the 3DS due to its still-archaic shop architecture and such. Yeah, I own a Wii U, doesn't mean I like the fact that if it gets stolen, pretty much boned.

I think the bigger issue for DQ7 is not so much translating it (will take time but not impossible) but trying to get it to fit within the architecture of ios/android and dealing with potential limitations example ios app side limit of 2gigs. 

Not surprising DQ7 and DQ8 were the most difficult ports to do given they were console games.

Edited by sounderfan84

I have app design experience and I can say that sometimes sizes can be tricky.

DQ8 had to be recoded in Unity. Likely going to be the same way with 7. According to what I've been able to look up (( Can't download it though, no links I can find I like. )) the ROM itself is 2 gigs. 

They'd have to trim the fat a good bit to get it on mobile, but a Unity port would mean the possibility of a PC port as well.

(( Calling it, DQ8 on PC, coming soon with proper controller support. ))

I have app design experience and I can say that sometimes sizes can be tricky.

DQ8 had to be recoded in Unity. Likely going to be the same way with 7. According to what I've been able to look up (( Can't download it though, no links I can find I like. )) the ROM itself is 2 gigs. 

They'd have to trim the fat a good bit to get it on mobile, but a Unity port would mean the possibility of a PC port as well.

(( Calling it, DQ8 on PC, coming soon with proper controller support. ))

The NA voice daigloue in 8 didn't make it to the NA mobile version and not suprised if the size limitation is one reason why.  2gigs for the VII 3ds jap remake?  

I think so, 's what it said on the release info I found. Just google "DQ7 3DS ROM".

And the NA voice dialogue in 8 didn't make it because they ported the JP version, IMO. JP version didn't have VA at all.

Doesn't bother me. Only voice I liked was Yangus.

I think so, 's what it said on the release info I found. Just google "DQ7 3DS ROM".

And the NA voice dialogue in 8 didn't make it because they ported the JP version, IMO. JP version didn't have VA at all.

Doesn't bother me. Only voice I liked was Yangus.

Even if it was 1.5gigs for example porting it to a different software architecture could potentially increase the total size of the game and it wouldn't surprise me if it SE charges $20 for DQ7 ios/android.

Edited by sounderfan84

Yeah. That's why they coded it in Unity. Smart move really.

I have wondered how they manage to get DQ8 1.4gigs for mobile.  I hope it doesn't take them long to get 7 ported to mobile given the difficulies of course i'm sure they are focusing on 1-3,5 and 6 first then have the whole mobile dev team on focus on 7 after words.

The Den: "THATS NOT THE ONE I WANTED, I WANT MORE DRAGON QUEST NOT THAT DARGON QUEST."

Fixed. :P

To Matt-chan: Buy a PS2?  Naw brah, everyone can just emulate that piece of work, yeh. 

Edited by Alexandrious

I have wondered how they manage to get DQ8 1.4gigs for mobile. I hope it doesn't take them long to get 7 ported to mobile given the difficulies of course i'm sure they are focusing on 1-3,5 and 6 first then have the whole mobile dev team on focus on 7 after words.

Because they took out voice acting and use synthesized versions of the music. I wouldn't be surprised if they used lower resolution textures too. The actual game code is small and text can be compressed really well so it doesn't take up a lot of space either. "Technically impossible" because of the text probably means they're too lazy to translate it all.

Edited by Cain

They did not take out anything like that. We got a port of the JP version, which did not have the fancy VA and music.

We just didn't get our original version. The JP mobile port doesn't have VA or the pretty OST.

Ok, enough talking about the "technically impossible" without taking it out of context.

Obvious context 1) They're NOT talking about porting to American and doing a translation.  This is in context of DQ7 as a WHOLE, so Japan getting it.

Obvious context after reading the Polygon article, since GI is known for laziness 2) It's not "technically impossible" at all, it's just going to take a long bloody time to format all text, check everything, and convert the whole game given the sheer magnitude of text...meaning there's just so many text files and so many damn NPC's in the game expect it a few years from now, not within the general window of several months as we've seen so far with the other mobile releases.  Of course this is in Japan.

Nothing about this says it has anything whatsoever to do with the US release.  We'll have to wait to find out later, so let's not jump to conclusions and be so pessimistic.  I think it's fairly obvious we're getting all the mobile releases.  The only real question is, will we get the 3DS release of DQ7.  Localization would be close to being finished if not completed by now.  Any extra work would be in converting all the Japanese only elements, such as the special lithographs found off McDonalds or other corporate sponsors for the release who use Wifi in their businesses to work as normal lithographs or maybe work out some other deal (it's all unlockable stuff on the original Japanese cart anyway, just like with DQ9...no real "download", at least as far as I'm aware).

As per getting DQ7 3DS on mobile, I don't doubt they could fit the entire game as is with a little compression work on video and possibly on audio.

Ok, enough talking about the "technically impossible" without taking it out of context.

Obvious context 1) They're NOT talking about porting to American and doing a translation.  This is in context of DQ7 as a WHOLE, so Japan getting it.

Obvious context after reading the Polygon article, since GI is known for laziness 2) It's not "technically impossible" at all, it's just going to take a long bloody time to format all text, check everything, and convert the whole game given the sheer magnitude of text...meaning there's just so many text files and so many damn NPC's in the game expect it a few years from now, not within the general window of several months as we've seen so far with the other mobile releases.  Of course this is in Japan.

Nothing about this says it has anything whatsoever to do with the US release.  We'll have to wait to find out later, so let's not jump to conclusions and be so pessimistic.  I think it's fairly obvious we're getting all the mobile releases.  The only real question is, will we get the 3DS release of DQ7.  Localization would be close to being finished if not completed by now.  Any extra work would be in converting all the Japanese only elements, such as the special lithographs found off McDonalds or other corporate sponsors for the release who use Wifi in their businesses to work as normal lithographs or maybe work out some other deal (it's all unlockable stuff on the original Japanese cart anyway, just like with DQ9...no real "download", at least as far as I'm aware).

As per getting DQ7 3DS on mobile, I don't doubt they could fit the entire game as is with a little compression work on video and possibly on audio.

No they were talking about US release. As dragon quest 1 and 2 for mobile are already out in Japan.  PAX Prime is going on which i'm guessing is how they got the details in regards to future DQ releases.

Edited by sounderfan84

I see us getting DQ7 on mobile, 3DS is a longshot, as I believe it would have been confirmed by now.

...as I believe it would have been confirmed by now.

*hands Yangus a letter from Red, with many of his IOUs in it, all of them say "DUE NOW."*