Sign in to follow this  
mnicolai

Square Enix Planning More Mobile Dragon Quest Releases Very Soon

From Game Informer:

Square Enix has confirmed to Game Informer that it will be releasing more classic Dragon Quest titles on mobile platforms. The publisher plans to start with the original Dragon Quest in just a few weeks.

Edited by Excitemike

Good and bad.

Good = more dragon quest in the west.  This is a very good thing, and maybe...maybe it might translate to other systems.

Bad = it seems they're ONLY interested in Dragon Quest on mobile since it's a higher potential profit and a higher profit margin per sale, and they can keep it up forever and ever and ever, with minor adjustments to assure compatibility with newer mobile OS's.  So I worry that perhaps they will only do a mobile release, though it would be silly for a mobile release of DQ7 3DS (since I'd say it's about a 99% chance this will be the DQ7 version mobile gets), and no 3DS afterwards, given it's highly likely the 3DS will still be going strong by that point, given the lifespan of Nintendo handhelds that are highly successful (GB was sold/supported well into the GBC, GBC into the GBA, GBA into the DS, DS into the 3DS).

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

I think a big 3ds and Wii U remake of DQ1+2 would sell better.

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

I haven't bought any of the mobil games yet but that will change especially if they release Dragon Quest I and Dragon Quest II.  I am really itching to play Dragon Quest II and I like what I saw of the screenshots.  I really like that artstyle.  The last time I beat Dragon Quest II it was for the NES around release although I did play some of the Gameboy color version. 

Don't care, unless it means something like a SFC port of III on mobile. That would warrant a purchase as I haven't bought any of the DQ mobile games yet.

Edited by Mr. RPG

I think a Wii U version of DQ wouldn't sell at all.

The Wii U still has a small install base, and isn't really loved by third-parties. (( I own one. I have nothing but Nintendo junk on it. ))

Now, a translated port/thing, like DQ1, 2, and 3 on the eShop would sell for GB. On the Wii? SNES versions would sell a bit, at least it'd be worth the effort.

And it's good they consider mobile. They want ADULTS to flock to DQ. Adults have fancier smartphones, and I think mobile is a perfect fit for DQ. The mobile platform needs quality titles.

Oh don't worry Doc.  DQ3 will more than likely be based on the SFC.  What I'm hoping for is a mixed bag of the SFC and GBC.  Take the extra content of the GBC, and add it in with SFC graphics and an SFC overhaul.  That would be perfect for me.  Rubiss Sword with SFC graphics, and free THORDAIN for all?  Killing Grand Dragon with SFC graphics?  Booyah!

They say Dragon Quest VII is "technically impossible". I call bullshit. I had both disks of the PSX version on my phone in an emulator and it ran perfectly fine. (It all fits within 2GB too, which is the apple app size limit I believe.)

Major difference with PSX to Android architecture.

For the moment, if you want DQ7 on mobile, PSX emulation.

They say Dragon Quest VII is "technically impossible". I call bullshit. I had both disks of the PSX version on my phone in an emulator and it ran perfectly fine. (It all fits within 2GB too, which is the apple app size limit I believe.)

It's probably some kind of miscommunication. Going by the Polygon article, it sounds as if the localization of VII is already underway.

I can tell you one problem is with the iPad/Phone's limited RAM.

Pretty much every recent Android device is superior in specs to the iPad, even the most recent ones. Apple has a good... clique, but my 8-inch Note 8 kills the iPad. :|

When they release to mobile, they have to think about both Android and iOS now, it isn't like it was at first. They're likely going with a "Both or none." approach.

Edited by Mattcraft

It's probably some kind of miscommunication. Going by the Polygon article, it sounds as if the localization of VII is already underway.

Probably.  However I am curious about something.  I know there are size limitations, at least for Apple apps, but what about file count limitations?

You know, going over the commentary, I can't help but want to thumb up this one by RedJ:

It's unfortunate that mobile devices can't handle all that text in DQVII. If only there were some other version of the game they could translate and release on another platform that could handle it, like maybe the 3DS...oh wait, there IS a 3DS version. Maybe this will convince them to finally release it outside of Japan, or at least put the game on PSN.

Edited by ignasia7

Well that's the most depressing Dragon Quest news I've ever heard.

And why is that? We're getting DQ 1, 2, and 3 on mobile platforms -for sure-, and 5 and 6.

I have hopes for 7. It is just daunting for them at the moment, but it'll come. And I think for Android first.

Late to the party but this is amazing news. It means they are listening and if things go well we might get some of those unlocalized games.

It's great in the consideration of DQ 1, 2 and 3, but it shows those signs that they're not too keen on anything but the mobile audience anymore. It's a massive shame, as I was really gunning for 7 3DS.

Proshall, you should be excited because you New Zealanders get everything before us (US and the rest of Europe.)

It's been brought up. I, the ever Dragon Quest VII optimist, would like to think they plan on releasing it for 3DS instead and it wouldn't make sense for them to release both to compete against each other.

Edited by eal

Why wouldn't it make sense?  Release the 3DS version.  Wait a year, you have the text, so release the US/EU mobile version.

Anyway, no, I didn't get that impression.  I had the impression he's talking about DQ7 period on mobile, NOT a localization.  The next sentence is a dead giveaway, regardless of how much of a muck-up in language translation went into the first and what was meant specifically by "technically impossible", the next sentence is too blatantly simple and clearly notes they're talking about ports to mobile that haven't been released aside from DQ7: DQ3, 5, 6.

So no, I think this is something to do with an issue related to the sheer volume of text.  It could be something regarding the time it will take to convert and format everything, and fully test it.  It could even be elements of text format code would bloat the text files to such an extent the 3DS version is oversized.  I doubt very much we're talking about the PSX version, but only the 3DS version.  So it could be with the music, redone cutscenes, textures, and everything else in the 3DS, in order for it to run fast, it could be possible they simply haven't come up with an adequate compression that would allow for the game to function properly on both Android and iOS.  Personally I agree with Excitemike, and I think it's likely a misinterpretation, along the lines of: too much text to get done anytime soon, so technically we're at an impasse on releasing it in the time window we initially had intended...but it's coming!

We're not getting anything "new" for like 5 years.  

(I hope that's a lie, but that's how it feels to me right now)

I think a big 3ds and Wii U remake of DQ1+2 would sell better.

You may think that, but it's simply not true. It's a numbers game. If 1/100 people with a 3DS buy it, and 1/1000 people with mobile phones do, phones still win. Hands down.

Maybe they'll give up on DQVII for mobile and simply build enough interest in the series through the mobile games to give us the 3DS version!

I'm slowly becoming optimistic around here... Odd.

I'm going to keep complaining until you guys like it.

I like it.

Well this puts a damper on my my fangame, since you can just play it on the phone... Good thing its not just a carbon copy.