Sign in to follow this  
benhaskett

Wait a minute... what'd I miss? (DQ games are on phones now?)

Well, holy crap.  I hadn't played a DQ game in... quite some time.  VI was the last one I played, and that's when it was re-released on the DS.  Still haven't touched II or III yet.  But I recently got a new phone and saw that VIII was available for purchase!  I had already played the game before, but I couldn't resist picking it up a second time, only because I was curious how it would handle on a mobile--it works great!  Yeah, it's a little awkward for me with one hand, but, man, the shortcuts!  Auto-run, zoom and sabre cat hotkeys, no waiting for the alchemy pot to cook, maps available by default, etc.  It's all streamlined in various subtle ways that make this really easy to play on the go.  And auto-save is a huge boon. 

And now I see that IV is out for phones too!  Can someone catch me up on the going-ons of the DQ series?  Are more coming to mobiles?  Any chance II or III will come to mobiles?  :D  I'd love to not have to pull out an NES or GBC to finally play those games.  Also, what about X?  Did that ever come out in the 'States? 

Did I miss anything else?

Oh, boy, what haven't you missed. So far just VIII and IV (under Dargon Quest) are out currently but they both came out relatively quick one after the other. We've been debating whether or not more and which ones will come out. Both games were really just script dumps and since the older, unrereleased games haven't been updated to modern Dragon Quest, it's a toss up what is coming and what isn't.

1-8 are all planned for mobile. 1, 2, 4, and 8 are all out (1 and 2 japan-only right now). I have 4 and 8, and used to have 1 (I have a Japanese iTunes account but no way to add Yen to it, as I only have American currency - DQ1 was free for a few weeks before Christmas last year, but is now about $5 worth of yen. It's an in-app purchase in the Japan-only DQ news portal app, so it didn't get added as a past-purchase on my account). All 3 of the ones I've played are good. I haven't played II iOS yet, but I'm sure it's good. (If they'd release it here, I might actually finish it some day. The NES version is so aggravating.)

Welcome back!

IV was more expanded, they included party chat and tightened the control scheme.

Similar to their mobile ports of FF4.

I see us getting one of the Monsters titles, 5, and 6. Beyond that, I can't say.

Edited by Mattcraft

Also, X is not out in the states yet. I had given up on it coming here, but it did get ported to the PC (which is a much more viable platform in the US) and recently they temporarily disabled the IP/region lock allowing people to log in from the states without a VPN. There's a possibility SE did that to gauge US interest in the game (as there are quite a few of us playing the game even though it's still only in Japanese... I played for a while during the free PC beta but don't have the money to pay for a sub right now).

benHaskett! Man is good to see you back here.  I used to read your brilliant blog series and I have often wondered if you would come back.  Whether you're back "for good" or just visiting, It's good to see you again. 

Hello, all!  King Zenith, good to see you as well!  Indeed, I flew a little too close to the sun with DQ IX and fell off the wagon--played way too much of it.  I played and enjoyed the heck out of VI when it came out a bit later, but didn't blog through it.  Hehe, I had to lay that to rest.  I think I'm back for good, as DQ VIII has seriously rekindled my love for the series.

After many attempts, I finally beat Dhoulmagus.  He was HARD.  I will say that I have no patience for grinding--maybe that has something to do with it being on a phone?  So I powered through the fight at level 27 (far lower than I faced him when on the PS2, although I'm not sure what people are usually at when facing him).  Lesser panaceas for Yangus and Jessica, Hero and Angelo on regular heals.  Lots of Kabuffs and such, with Oomphs supporting Executioners and Flame Slashes.  I also took a moment to work up to Rank C in the Monster Arena so that I could shave some of his health off with Talos and two of the three golems.  In the end, only Yangus stood victorious, lol, claiming all 12,000 experience points for himself...

That's great to know about X--I will definitely seek that out and try to play it.  I sincerely hope the powers that be consider an English PC port...

As for other mobile games, here's hoping we get II and III... I played V and VI too recently to want to play it again. ;)

After many attempts, I finally beat Dhoulmagus.  He was HARD.  I will say that I have no patience for grinding--maybe that has something to do with it being on a phone?  So I powered through the fight at level 27 (far lower than I faced him when on the PS2, although I'm not sure what people are usually at when facing him).  Lesser panaceas for Yangus and Jessica, Hero and Angelo on regular heals.  Lots of Kabuffs and such, with Oomphs supporting Executioners and Flame Slashes.  I also took a moment to work up to Rank C in the Monster Arena so that I could shave some of his health off with Talos and two of the three golems.  In the end, only Yangus stood victorious, lol, claiming all 12,000 experience points for himself...

Level 23-25 sounds about right for me. I typically have the Hacksaurus on my monster team, along with Talos and some other monster. But at least Yangus got some nice EXP from it.

Hello, all! King Zenith, good to see you as well! Indeed, I flew a little too close to the sun with DQ IX and fell off the wagon--played way too much of it. I played and enjoyed the heck out of VI when it came out a bit later, but didn't blog through it. Hehe, I had to lay that to rest. I think I'm back for good, as DQ VIII has seriously rekindled my love for the series.

After many attempts, I finally beat Dhoulmagus. He was HARD. I will say that I have no patience for grinding--maybe that has something to do with it being on a phone? So I powered through the fight at level 27 (far lower than I faced him when on the PS2, although I'm not sure what people are usually at when facing him). Lesser panaceas for Yangus and Jessica, Hero and Angelo on regular heals. Lots of Kabuffs and such, with Oomphs supporting Executioners and Flame Slashes. I also took a moment to work up to Rank C in the Monster Arena so that I could shave some of his health off with Talos and two of the three golems. In the end, only Yangus stood victorious, lol, claiming all 12,000 experience points for himself...

That's great to know about X--I will definitely seek that out and try to play it. I sincerely hope the powers that be consider an English PC port...

As for other mobile games, here's hoping we get II and III... I played V and VI too recently to want to play it again. ;)

DQI is being released in September and 2 and 3 should be released in numerical order after it according to a press release yesterday from Squeenix. They're going to do them all (debatable with DQVII).