Sign in to follow this  
Polantaris

Connecting using Amazon Web Services

So with the return of the IP Block, many of the newer players aren't really sure what to do. The solution is a proxy, which tunnels your connection to another computer before accessing the site you wish to go to. In this case, DQX's servers. You want to appear to be connecting from Japan to the DQX servers so that they let you play. So you need a proxy that's in Japan.

One of the solutions provided by Forum Member faijin is the SoftEtherVPN. SoftEther is free, but it has its problems. Another solution is Amazon Web Services(AWS). An excellent tutorial has been provided to members of the Phantasy Star Online 2 community via the PSO-World forum member Limni, and really, it goes over just about everything that needs to be gone over for us in regards to setting it up. You can find that tutorial here.

The only difference really is that when you start proxying programs, you want to proxy the DQX executables instead of the PSO2 ones (or both, if you play both). I'm not going to go over the tutorial, because Limni did an excellent job on PSO-World.

The thread is rather long, because it's a tutorial. Plus a lot of questions are answered in the middle of the thread, so to make it easier on us DQX players, I thought I'd go over the non-tutorial information here, so you can decide on how you want to connect to the game.

Pros:

- AWS will not consume your entire Internet connection. SoftEther (without doing some very advanced setups) will take over your entire Internet connection and proxy all connections you make through their server before doing anything. That means your web browsers, downloads, and anything else you're doing with your computer that uses the Internet will receive a bonus of about 3-4 seconds of latency (The signal has to go from your computer, to Japan, back to the server it's going to, probably something located in the US, then repeat this backwards to get back to you). This can easily get frustrating.

- AWS provides a Private Public IP. I know, it sounds contradictory. It is Private in that you are the only one using that IP, unlike SoftEther which is shared between all users on that proxy. Basically, the Public IP (the one that the DQX servers will see) is yours alone. The pro here is that in SoftEther, if someone were to get IP banned using your proxy's IP, you would not be able to connect anymore and would have to switch proxies. Speaking from experience, it can get extremely frustrating over time.

- For a paid VPN/proxy solution, it is extremely cheap. You run a virtual server that you proxy into, and only get charged when that server is online. This means that if you don't use it at all for a month, you don't pay anything. Even if you were to keep it on 24/7, it would be cheaper than a typical proxy at $0.012/hour. The grand total is $8.64/month (assuming 30 day month). A typical proxy costs $10/month, and this is only if you were to have the server on all the time (which is unnecessary for what we are using it for).

- As little lag as possible. Since the instance is yours and yours alone, there's no processing of other people's connections or anything like that. It should be as fast as possible considering the circumstances (having to route through another PC before hitting the server combined with the distance).

Cons:

- It costs money. SoftEther is free. Keep in mind, however, that AWS has a 12 month free period, so there's literally no harm in trying it out for yourself before abandoning the idea. After the initial 12 months, there will be a $0.012 fee for every hour the server is online. You can vastly reduce the cost of AWS by shutting down the server when you're not using it.

- It takes a long time to set up. The initial setup is long, and intensive. It also requires port forwarding, so if you have absolutely no idea how to do that and don't want to learn how (or are unable to do so), then it is likely that AWS is not a usable alternative for you.

- Requires additional programs to be running. If your computer has issues running a lot of applications at once, you may want to do a test drive and make sure it can handle it. At the very least, you will require a program called PuTTY running as well as Proxifier, ProxyCap, or another connection routing program.

- Further additional setup if playing on a Console Version. Be aware that I do not have any details about this, but the reason I know this is true is because SoftEther will reroute ALL traffic from your PC, while AWS will not. Because of this you will need additional setup so that your Wii/Wii U/3DS traffic goes through the proxy properly before reaching the server. I do not have a console version (nor do I intend to get one any time soon), so I do not have further details about this. Sorry.

If you think of any further Pros/Cons, please let me know. I'll be happy to add them to the list.

Can I share my account with someone?

No. There's two reasons for this. The first is that AWS's Terms of Service specifically say that open proxies are not allowed. Do not share anything but the tutorial in regards to this. By not sharing anything it is not an open proxy, and therefore you are within the rules of the TOS.

The second reason is that hourly charges are done based on connections. That means if you have two people connected through the same server, you incur twice as many fees. The free 12-month period is in monthly hours. This means that you will run out of hours and charging will incur every month for the amount of extra hours you rack up. The free 12 months are basically X hours every month are free for 12 months, and it's more hours than there are in a month, so as long as there is only one connection you will not go past your allotted free hours.

Can I get banned using AWS?

Not any more than a normal user playing outside of Japan. VPNs/AWS do not exclude you from the Rules of Etiquette that have been mentioned by many members here (including myself). If you get reported by another player, and Square Enix looks into your account, and realizes that you are not from Japan, you can get banned. Is it guaranteed? No. But it can happen. Take all stories about not being banned with a grain of salt, and be a respectful player.

I've played several "Japan residents only" games in the past 8 or so years, and one thing I've learned is that if you are respectful, and blend in with the crowd, nothing will happen to you. That's extremely important. The idea is to not be focused on. We don't know how Square Enix will react to foreign players that stick out. Don't stick out, and you won't be banned.

I know the answer I just gave is kind of off topic, but I just wanted to remind everyone of this.

Also, the only reason AWS as a whole would get blocked is if the entire Amazon Datacenter in Tokyo gets IP Blocked, which is EXTREMELY unlikely. So this solution should, and most likely will, work forever.

Should I leave ProxyCap/Proxifier/Etc. open?

One thing I want to address that I do not agree with the tutorial linked is this question. The guide specifies turning off ProxyCap/Proxifier/Whatever after the connection to the game has been established. I do not agree with this. Latency isn't all that big of an issue with DQX, and overall the biggest thing we want to do is what I said earlier, not stick out. If Square Enix notices an IP that is foreign playing on the game server, you will stick out like a sore thumb. I don't know how likely this scenario is, but do you really want to tempt fate? It also might not even work with DQX, as that is a tutorial for PSO2 and they're two completely different games with different infrastructures. I haven't tried turning off Proxifier/ProxyCap, it may not even work.

In my opinion, you can do whatever you want. Nothing is stopping you from doing it either way, but my recommendation is that you keep your proxy application running. And really, we don't even know if Square Enix will care one way or the other, as the IP block may have just been reestablished to stop DDOSing. But I personally would stay connected to it. It's a pretty stable service, so I don't think it's that big of a deal honestly.

How can I patch?

If you've ever used a proxy system before, you probably know that typically patching takes forever. But there's good news on that front, because you don't actually need the proxy enabled to patch.

When you notice that there's a patch available, you can turn off the Launcher, turn off your Proxy Application (ProxyCap, Proxifier, etc.), and then launch the Launcher. The game will patch using your normal connection. After the patch has been downloaded and installed, you should then turn off the Launcher, turn on your Proxy Application again, and then launch the Launcher again. Since the Launcher contains your log in information, it is required that you are proxying the Launcher so that when the game launches, the IP associated with your login remains the same (otherwise the game will not know who you are), but you don't need to log in to patch.

How do I start up for the second (and more) times?

The tutorial doesn't really go over how to start up after you've actually installed everything. AWS requires a tad more setup than SoftEther and similar proxy applications. When you've just started up your PC, or something like that, the following steps are required to get set up to be able to play DQX again.

1) Log into AWS.

2) Head to the Instances menu (use the index on the left side of the window).

3) Right click your server instance and start it.

4) Record the new IP (it will change every time you start the instance, but it shouldn't be a problem because there are NetCafes in Japan that players often use that will cause a similar effect with your log in IP).

5) Launch PuTTY.

6) Set the new IP in the settings, then launch it.

7) Log in as usual (ec2-user, password [if set]).

8) Launch Proxy Application (ProxyCap, Proxifier, etc.).

9) Launch DQX.

If you're confused about any of this, please let me know and I'll help you out.

If you have any additional questions or comments, please let me know. Any problems I will be happy to try and sort out with you. I hope this FAQ/mini-link-guide was helpful.

Edit: Aww, my bullet points don't get preserved in the actual post.

Edited by Polantaris

Thank you for your effort to write this guide. I'll try to make AWS setup for my connection.

However, as said, you need 2 extra applications Putty and Proxycap. Are these 2 applications for free use? It says in the guilde in PSO2 world that the application is about 30-day trial for free.

One more thing, when the update patch is released, we do not need VPN to download, do we?

Edited by Murd

Thank you for your effort to write this guide. I'll try to make AWS setup for my connection.

However, as said, you need 2 extra applications Putty and Proxycap. Are these 2 applications for free use? It says in the guilde in PSO2 world that the application is about 30-day trial for free.

One more thing, when the update patch is released, we do not need VPN to download, do we?

When a patch releases you do not need to use AWS to download it. You can download it normally. The game will boot you out when you first launch the game if it doesn't like your IP. Although, since the launcher is where you log in, you will need the launcher proxied to connect as well as the game. So you can download without the proxy, but you'd have to close the launcher, start the proxy, and then launch the launcher again to connect properly. I'll add this to the guide when I get home in the morning.

As for the applications: PuTTY is free, ProxyCap and Proxifier are not, however there are alternate options. There are a lot of applications that do the same thing that those two do, so a Google search might help. If you find an alternative it can be added to the guide and I can write up a quick tutorial for it if necessary.

When a patch releases you do not need to use AWS to download it. You can download it normally. The game will boot you out when you first launch the game if it doesn't like your IP. Although, since the launcher is where you log in, you will need the launcher proxied to connect as well as the game. So you can download without the proxy, but you'd have to close the launcher, start the proxy, and then launch the launcher again to connect properly. I'll add this to the guide when I get home in the morning.

As for the applications: PuTTY is free, ProxyCap and Proxifier are not, however there are alternate options. There are a lot of applications that do the same thing that those two do, so a Google search might help. If you find an alternative it can be added to the guide and I can write up a quick tutorial for it if necessary.

I have to give it a try and let's see if I am able to complete AWS setup and play DQX smoothly. Really don't have much understanding about port forwarding though. So I may stick what the guide recommended (Proxycap).

Let's pray the IP block will not last forever.. sigh..

Edited by Murd

Finally, after some trial-and-error, I am able to setup my AWS account and it works very well for me. No lag at all during my 30 mins game play.

Thank you so much!

Edited by Murd

I followed the tutorial on pso2 board last night and although I can't say it wasn't confusing at times it ended up working and I can still play.

One thing that mixed me up was what to actually run once config was complete. I am on the PC version and I found I had to reboot, open putty first, log in, then enable proxy cap, then log in to the game. I have no idea if that order is required but that's what worked for me.

Agh, Bianca, just...

I can't take it anymore. Here.

Il3RMXS.jpg

Have a new avatar scanned and color corrected from its original source.

I had no idea that there was a 12 month trial for that VPN. If I can use it for both PSO2 and DQX I'll try it out.

btw

[picture]

Have a new avatar scanned and color corrected from its original source.

I think the depth of field effect was intentional, so here's my edit

VqCtZdj.png

I followed the tutorial on pso2 board last night and although I can't say it wasn't confusing at times it ended up working and I can still play.

One thing that mixed me up was what to actually run once config was complete. I am on the PC version and I found I had to reboot, open putty first, log in, then enable proxy cap, then log in to the game. I have no idea if that order is required but that's what worked for me.

You shouldn't have needed to reboot (unless you mean the virtual server).

Technically, you can do it in whatever order you want, however Proxy Cap will try to proxy to a server that it can't connect to if PuTTY is not enabled yet. However, the server needs to be online before you try to connect with PuTTY, since PuTTY connects to the server directly.

Basically, after you have everything set up, you'll need to do the following:

Start your saved instance

Check for a new IP.

Set the new IP in PuTTY before you connect.

Connect with PuTTY

Launch Proxy application

Launch DQX

I personally use Proxifier instead of ProxyCap, but that's just personal preference (I'm used to Proxifier). They both essentially do the same thing.

Technically, you can do it in whatever order you want, however Proxy Cap will try to proxy to a server that it can't connect to if PuTTY is not enabled yet. However, the server needs to be online before you try to connect with PuTTY, since PuTTY connects to the server directly.

Check for a new IP.

Connect with PuTTY

Launch Proxy application

Launch DQX

I personally use Proxifier instead of ProxyCap, but that's just personal preference (I'm used to Proxifier). They both essentially do the same thing.

Do we need to check in the AWS website whether the instance is running everytime we reboot our PC?

Check for a new IP.

Connect with PuTTY

Launch Proxy application

Launch DQX

Do we need to check in the AWS website whether the instance is running everytime we reboot our PC?

The instance will only stop running when you tell it to stop running (or if they do a maintenance of some sort, I imagine).

That being said, it's a good practice to turn it off when you're not using it because in 12 months you'll be unnecessarily wasting money.

That also being said, it doesn't hurt to log into the AWS site and make sure it's online. You don't get auto-logged out unless there's no instance running so there's no harm in leaving a tab open.

Edited by Polantaris

I'll definately follow your recommendation. However; will the IP also change everytime we re-run the instance?

Sorry for too many questions as I am totally new to this thing.

I'll definately follow your recommendation. However; will the IP also change everytime we re-run the instance?

Yes. The IP will change every time the instance is restarted. As I said earlier, it won't be that big of a deal because it's not too different than if you were switching between NetCafes in Japan, so you shouldn't be flagged for it or anything like that.

Thanks for letting me know about this. Works really great, in fact it is faster and allows more control than the previous VPN I used which was a paid one. And this option is free for a year and even after that period, If I left it running 24/7 it would still amount to almost the same as my previous VPN.

Yes. The IP will change every time the instance is restarted. As I said earlier, it won't be that big of a deal because it's not too different than if you were switching between NetCafes in Japan, so you shouldn't be flagged for it or anything like that.

Hmm.. because I have tried using SoftEther twice before AWS. In SoftEther, I first selected one IP playing for a few mins. Later I selected a new IP which is not too different from the first one (as couldn't find the first IP in the list), then SQEN needed me to reset password due to different IP.

Not sure AWS will also face this thing if IP of the instance changes..

Hmm.. because I have tried using SoftEther twice before AWS. In SoftEther, I first selected one IP playing for a few mins. Later I selected a new IP which is not too different from the first one (as couldn't find the first IP in the list), then SQEN needed me to reset password due to different IP.

The difference is that SoftEther IP's are likely spread out all over the country, while all AWS IP's will be coming from the Datacenter in Tokyo. There's not this massive jump over the country daily that would set off the flags.

The difference is that SoftEther IP's are likely spread out all over the country, while all AWS IP's will be coming from the Datacenter in Tokyo. There's not this massive jump over the country daily that would set off the flags.

I clearly see your point now. Thank you again for such a wonderful guide and advise, Polantaris :)

I have another option that uses openvpn. It's one I use that I can also set up on my cell, so when I travel I can still play if I so desire That is, on the 3ds when that comes out.  It's a private VPN, so there's only one server. It's 3$ per month or 30$ per year. If any of you are interested let me know. This said, please realize there is only 1 server, so if you aren't cautious and speak in English overly much, and just do some not nice things you will get all of us who use this particular VPN banned. 

The gentleman who maintains the VPN is Japanese and speaks English, and will talk to you through skype or email whatever works best. Also, to keep bandwidth consumption down I don't think he'll take on TOO many new people, but the ones who have joined thus far I think would be ok. 

Edited by Ashes

Last night, spent a few hours playing DQX on my PC by AWS the result is very satisfied for me. A very few lag happened but no connection lost.

This guide was really helpful, thanks a lot!

This thread should be stickied!

It's part of the "useful guides" topic that Ashes has set up for us, which is stickied.

Edited by Polantaris

Polantaris, what will happen if we do not use ProxyCap or ProxyFilter or any kind of Proxy program? Can we still play DQX?

Polantaris, what will happen if we do not use ProxyCap or ProxyFilter or any kind of Proxy program? Can we still play DQX?

No.

ProxyCap/Proxifier/Whatever connect through the AWS server that you start up. Putty is used to open a connection from your computer to the AWS server, and the proxy program directs the connection through the AWS server before it goes to the Internet.

Both applications are required to use AWS as your proxy solution.

Edited by Polantaris

No.

ProxyCap/Proxifier/Whatever connect through the AWS server that you start up. Putty is used to open a connection from your computer to the AWS server, and the proxy program directs the connection through the AWS server before it goes to the Internet.

Both applications are required to use AWS as your proxy solution.

Thank you for your advise. Actually I already bought a three-year license of ProxyCap for my PC. Now planning to buy my laptop by early of the next year and I don't know whether I can use my ProxyCap on both my PC and laptop.. Edited by Murd