Sign in to follow this  
faijin

Setting up SoftEther VPN

SoftEther is a free to use VPN service which will allow you to play Dragon Quest X despite the regional IP block by routing your connection through a gracious Japanese host.

Download the SoftEther Client here 

Install and run the software. Once the Client Manager is open, double click on 'VPN Gate Publuic VPN Relay Servers.'

Double-click on a Japanese IP address. Be sure to use the same IP every time you connect. You will be prompted to change your password each time you switch IPs. SoftEther will automatically highlight the last IP you used the next time you view the Relay Servers list.

After selecting your Gate Connection, a dialog box will briefly appear and will let you know when you're connected. Once you're connected you can log into the game and play!

A few things to note:

• With SoftEther, your ENTIRE connection is routed through the Japanese host.
  • Please don't download files and saturate the connection, other people are using it
  • Be kind to the native players and generally be awesome to everyone. If the IP is banned, that Gate can no longer be used.
Edited by faijin

Sad news that IP block is now back in active again :( Anyway, thank you for your free VPN source!!

How about in-game latency using SoftEther? If it is too bad to play, thinking about not to make my monthly subscription as paying for both monthly fee and VPN is quite too much for me really :(

There's several free ways to play. If the SoftEther VPN doesn't work well, then try out the Amazon Web Services solution described in the IP restriction thread.

With that said, I tried the SoftEther VPN a few months ago and it worked fine for me.

Edited by Aeana

There's several free ways to play. If the SoftEther VPN doesn't work well, then try out the Amazon Web Services solution described in the IP restriction thread.

With that said, I tried the SoftEther VPN a few months ago and it worked fine for me.

I'll try SoftEther once I get back home from work. Just curious why SQEN turned off IP block and now turn it back on...

The latency with SoftEther isn't too bad. You don't normally notice any difference since this is a turn based game. I occasionally see my party members jump ahead a few meters but it's rare, like once every 10 minutes. It may be because I found a good connection. I use 60.41.86.50 from the SoftEther list.

The latency with SoftEther isn't too bad. You don't normally notice any difference since this is a turn based game. I occasionally see my party members jump ahead a few meters but it's rare, like once every 10 minutes. It may be because I found a good connection. I use 60.41.86.50 from the SoftEther list.

I have seen a guide of Amazon Web Service which is another source of VPN but it seems to be different from SoftEther that when using AWS you just need to active IP when login but once you're in the game you can turn AWS off.

But for SoftEther you need to use it all the time while you're playing.

I might try SoftEther first if it works fine for me as AWS invloves many many complicated steps of setting up.

Edited by Murd

I have seen a guide of Amazon Web Service which is another source of VPN but it seems to be different from SoftEther that when using AWS you just need to active IP when login but once you're in the game you can turn AWS off.

I might try SoftEther first if it works fine for me as AWS invloves many many complicated steps of setting up.

I wouldn't trust changing your IP mid-login. That's a huge red flag if it gets caught. AWS is ridiculously cheap, so I would say unless you're seriously strapped for cash, don't do that, and if you do do it be very aware that it could get you banned. That's one of the few VPN ban-related topics I actually agree with. You're basically drawing attention to yourself, which is a bad move when you're technically already breaking the TOS (playing outside of Japan). The idea is to stay in the shadows and give them no reason to look at you.

Edited by Polantaris

I wouldn't trust changing your IP mid-login. That's a huge red flag if it gets caught. AWS is ridiculously cheap, so I would say unless you're seriously strapped for cash, don't do that, and if you do do it be very aware that it could get you banned. That's one of the few VPN ban-related topics I actually agree with. You're basically drawing attention to yourself, which is a bad move when you're technically already breaking the TOS (playing outside of Japan). The idea is to stay in the shadows and give them no reason to look at you.

So, SoftEther will only be my choice for now to continue playing this game. Hopefully it will work well for my connection.

Thank you for your advise about risky AWS.

So, SoftEther will only be my choice for now to continue playing this game. Hopefully it will work well for my connection.

Thank you for your advise about risky AWS.

It's only risky if you're disconnecting the service after you've logged in. Otherwise it's more secure, more stable, and more reliable. Plus you get the first 12 months free (essentially), so there's no reason not to use it at least right now, if you can get it set up.

The client from the link in the OP didn't have the Gate Client Plugin that you referred to, so I had to download it from here:  http://www.vpngate.net/en/download.aspx

OH MY GOD IT WORKED!!!

thanks a lot man!!!!! i'm so happy right now i'm almost crying

I was using softether yesterday and connected to the same IP a few times just to make sure everything was working correctly, but today I went to connect, and the IP I had been using was not showing up in the relay servers. I tried refreshing the list several times but I couldn't find the IP. I just wanted to ask, as I am completely new to using a VPN, do relay servers go up and down frequently, or do they just go off and never come back? As I saw it mentioned, you need to connect to the same IP each time you use a VPN, otherwise you are prompted to reset your password, and such, but I was just looking through the available Japanese relay servers, and noticed that most of them have been up for around a day. The longest I can see is a server which has been connected for 7 days, and that seemed pretty short considering the need to use the same IP for each log-in. I don't know if I'm just missing something obvious here, or if the servers go up and down frequently depending on time and traffic, but any clarification on this would help out. I'm just hoping I'm not missing something really obvious and being dumb...  :)

All the VPNs are privately run. There's no guarantee if the one you like will ever be on. It's the downside to the service. There's no real consistency. In addition, you have some that will send you certificates that throw warnings with antivirus software.

In short, don't expect the one you like to still be there tomorrow.

Edited by Ashes

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I'm glad I found that out before I got too far along in the process of getting everything ready. At the moment I'm still playing the offline demo, but I have already signed in with a softether VPN just to make sure I had set everything up correctly. I guess I'll give it a go with AWS instead when I'm ready to begin the online campaign, and since I've got a physical copy of the all-in-one package on the way, I've got plenty of time to set it up and try it out. I just hope getting flagged for the IP change, and needing to change my password wont cause any more trouble afterwards with my account, but it sounds like quite a few people have at least tried softether, and had to go through the IP change situation without getting in trouble beyond just changing their password. In any case, thanks for the quick reply. Better to find out sooner rather than later!

Well if you use Soft ether changing your password is gonna be a often affair unless you use a authenticator. I have had little to no problems with AWS so I do suggest it. When you decide to join us welcome! Always nice to see a new face.

I would suggest AWS too if you don't mind opening 2 more programs before you enter the game. The connection is very secured and stable as I got only few times of disconnected (including due to my poor internet service provider).

Yeah that sounds like the best bet for me. I've got a great PC, so running multiple programs is not a problem, but I also have a fairly poor ISP so that also makes me lean towards AWS as it seems to have a more stable connection speed. The only real worry was people saying it only had free service for a year, but then when I looked up the actual cost after the year-long trial, I realized that the price was really not bad.

Thanks guys! Aside from getting the VPN set up, like I mentioned, I'm just waiting on my physical copy of the All-In-One Package to arrive, and when I'm up and running, I'll be sure to let everyone know. 

The 2 additional programs are PuTTy which is free download but another one either ProxyCap or Proxifier only has free-trial for 30 days. I'm using ProxyCap after trial period ended and bought a 3-year license for USD 30.00.

For AWS itself, you can enjoy one-year trial period which is free as long as you open one instance at a time. After trial period, you need to pay USD 0.02/ active hour which is very cheap when comparing to other VPN.

Everytime you stop playing DQX, be reminded to "stop" your instance even during trial period to ensure you always do this after the period ends.

Edited by Murd