Sign in to follow this  
WheelerDan

Dragon Quest IV (android) requires online authentication on every star

Note: some users are reporting that after two successful loads with wifi connection, you can play a third without.  My own testing has had unreliable results, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.

Dragon Quest IV (android) requires online authentication on every start up. Cannot install on non GooglePlay device such as Kindle (unlike VIII)

After wracking my brains trying to figure out why I could get this game to install on bluestacks and not on my kindle fire hdx, I finally figured it out.

VIII required a security file once (mine has been working for months), so I could install it on a google play device and transfer the files. This game requires one on every start up, making that impossible. Tested by trying to load a previous successful install with my internet connection disabled.

Word to the wise.

Ironically, the Dragon Quest VIII page warns of the need to re authenticate, even though that isn't true. Dragon Quest IV says Download it once, and there’s nothing else to buy, and nothing else to download! Even though it requires fresh security credentials every time.

I also posted this on reddit but thought it belonged here as well.

Edited by WheelerDan

Damn. Pretty sure it doesn't do that on iOS, as I'm relatively certain I've played it in the car before... Damn!

All SE games require internet.

Once credentials are checked, you can turn off WiFi for so long.

Gotta love how if you're out of gas in the middle of nowhere and you want to play a little DQ to kill some time until someone drives by you can't.

All SE games require internet.

Once credentials are checked, you can turn off WiFi for so long.

Not sure if you commented based on the title alone or what. I have a kindle, I have 0 access to google play services and cannot authenticate.  I have played 8 for over 2 months with the same security file.  I installed 4 on a standard google play device, started up the game. Exited the game. Turned off the wifi. Started the game again, it did not work.  Obviously one requires one security file, the other requires a new one on every start.  They aren't the same at all. i also havent had this problem with Final Fantasy 3, it seems Dragon Quest 4 specific.

Anyone with 4 can check this themselves by turning off internet access and trying to start the game.

• Upvote 1

I have DQ4 for Android and I don't need an internet connection to play (just tested it right now).  I did need a connection the second time I played though.  It worked like this:

- DQ4 was released, I woke up and downloaded and installed it while at home (on Wi-Fi)

- Before leaving the house, I fired it up and entered my name etc...  Then quit

- At the bus stop, I fired it up again and it wouldn't start because it couldn't check the license.  Damn it!

- At work I fired it up while on Wi-Fi and naturally it worked

- Every time since then, I have not needed a connection

Not sure what the explanation for this is.  Maybe it is on a schedule whereby it needs to do a net-connection license check once a month or at some specified interval? 

I have DQ4 for Android and I don't need an internet connection to play (just tested it right now).  I did need a connection the second time I played though.  It worked like this:

- DQ4 was released, I woke up and downloaded and installed it while at home (on Wi-Fi)

- Before leaving the house, I fired it up and entered my name etc...  Then quit

- At the bus stop, I fired it up again and it wouldn't start because it couldn't check the license.  Damn it!

- At work I fired it up while on Wi-Fi and naturally it worked

- Every time since then, I have not needed a connection

Not sure what the explanation for this is.  Maybe it is on a schedule whereby it needs to do a net-connection license check once a month or at some specified interval? 

I just tested this myself by loading the game in bluestacks once, then disabling the wifi. Failed on retry. Tried loading it twice with the wifi on and then again with it off, and it worked, just like you said.  I will try to load it later in the day with the wifi off to see how long this can be stretched, good catch! It would have never occurredto me to try it twice.

Like you, I was surprised and disappointed the first time I tried this with no connection and it didn't work.  I am not exactly sure what possessed me to try it again after subsequent WiFi connections, but I am sure glad I did.  For me, the whole point of mobile gaming is gaming on the go, and I often don't have a WiFi connection.

If your continued testing shows that this method works, would you mind editing it into your opening post so that other people can benefit from this without having to read the whole thread?  Perhaps even modifying the topic title to avoid steering people away from this game. 

I appreciate you bringing this subject up though, because I am sure many people will have a similar experience to you and me, possibly without the happy ending.

Unfortunately the results seem a little random. I decided to load the game to title screen over and over to see what i could observe about the security check.  Sometimes it was every other, sometimes it was on the third attempt. I can't get consistent result, so I think the original point still stands.  I would be curious to know if you had the app running in the background or if you fully quit it every time you stopped playing, if it still working through the day.  This whole thing is frustrating and misleading given what the store page says about the game.

on the DQ8 page it says this: The game will be validated the first time it is loaded, and at predetermined intervals afterwards, and therefore cannot be initialised while offline. Please make sure you have a data connection before running the app. Once the game is initialised however, it can be played offline (except for online features).

It annoys me that DQ4 specifically says there's nothing else to download when there very specifically is.

Hmm, that's interesting.  I definitely have powered off my phone before launching it each time since I typically leave it off overnight.  I'll continue to monitor it though and see if I get some instances of license-check failures. 

It checks for a licence once, then stops for so many times.

You can get around it with a rooted tablet and a modified GP store, but that's about it.

On iOS I always run on airplane mode to save battery no issues there glad I stuck to iPhone now

I never had a problem like that to where i have to have internet constantly on my android phone.  Usually its once every often.

Your Kindle -does- run a fork of Android...

Sideload (( Download an APK of the file I describe and install )) XPOSED Launcher's latest version. It might help you, or ruin you.

I take no responsibility in this.

There's also another way, but it's also piracy-driven. I will not give out links or APKs, so do this at your own risk.

There's modded versions of Google's Play Store that release periodically that bypass -all- DRM for titles. I use it for the titles I buy, as I sure as hell didn't like FF6 telling me I couldn't do $#!& when off WiFi.

You have to have a rooted tablet or phone.

I ended up rooting my tablet, it was easy to do, and now with access to the google play store I don't have nay more problems.

Cool beans man!

That sounds like such a big hassle!  You have to download and pay for it.  Then you have you stay connected online for a certain amount of time?  For what purpose?  Why can't they just let you download it and play without having to be online?  To me it makes little sense.

It's a form of DRM typically tied to higher-priced games.

Square-Enix has a system where it authenticates the license (( Like the old secruROM games back in the day )) of the title say once every 10 or so activations.

There's ways around it, but as rooting technically breaks warranties, they just leave it as is.

Plus, for some titles, you -have- to download data to even play it the first time (( Chrono Trigger is one, Final Fantasy Dimensions another. ))

I like to try their titles before I buy, so I use a modded GP Store. And to be frank, I wish I didn't buy DQ8.

Baldur's Gate : Enhanced Edition has DRM of sorts as well, as does Shadowrun Returns.

It's just too bad Freedom (( Something that tricks the IAP of some games, very few. )) doesn't work well with some stuff.

Let's just put it this way. Fruit Ninja is a popular game. But one of it's last updates eliminated all progress by every player and made it so you had to use ingame currency, buyable from HalfBrick, to buy swords and backgrounds. I -bought- Fruit Ninja for $5 a long-ass time ago when I got my first tablet.

So I downloaded a hacked APK. :P

Sign in to follow this