My Persona 3 FES quest

Since I've gotten up to fighting Shadows now in Persona 3, I'd like to give an early opinion on the game. No plot spoilers for Persona 4 but I'll still talk about it in a vague sense. Persona 3's beginning is much, much better than the beginning to Persona 4. It took under an hour to get to the meat of the game when in Persona 4 it took almost 3 hours of endless text and no control. Persona 3 also seems to have more animated cutscenes for some reason and they're longer and even better animated. I also like the premise of the Dark Hour more than the Midnight Channel, and hopefully half the game won't be devoted to explaining it to me. Persona 3 also seems to be the kind of game, just based off first impressions, that isn't going to bog me down too much in explanations and reasonings  like Persona 4 did. That being said, I still prefer the cast, the voice acting, and the godlike music of Persona 4.

Also, bought a new copy of Persona 4 on PlayStation 2 just for the bonus soundtrack CD inside.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

G'day folks.   As many of you may or may not know, I recently got a copy of Persona 3 FES for the PS2. Along with it came the challenge to beat it within 100 hours (in-game, not real life) and on th

Update 2:   So, after playing for a few more hours last night, I have formed a Social Link with Kenji and the guy from the Kento club. I have also made it to the third floor of Tartarus and even fou

If you like the socializing at school during a whole year, going about it in a day to day basis, none of that will be in 1 and 2, that is for sure. I still love 2 more than 3 (I am only starting 4). E

Since I've gotten up to fighting Shadows now in Persona 3, I'd like to give an early opinion on the game. No plot spoilers for Persona 4 but I'll still talk about it in a vague sense. Persona 3's beginning is much, much better than the beginning to Persona 4. It took under an hour to get to the meat of the game when in Persona 4 it took almost 3 hours of endless text and no control. Persona 3 also seems to have more animated cutscenes for some reason and they're longer and even better animated. I also like the premise of the Dark Hour more than the Midnight Channel, and hopefully half the game won't be devoted to explaining it to me. Persona 3 also seems to be the kind of game, just based off first impressions, that isn't going to bog me down too much in explanations and reasonings  like Persona 4 did. That being said, I still prefer the cast, the voice acting, and the godlike music of Persona 4.

Also, bought a new copy of Persona 4 on PlayStation 2 just for the bonus soundtrack CD inside.

Oh, so you mean explaining like this? (skip to 1:25 and watch till about 1:34 if the link doesn't automatically take you there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C6khcmGnss#t=85

The vocal tracks (sung by Shihoko Hirata) in P4 are pretty good I must admit, though I find a number of the instrument only songs to be kinda "eh."  Shoji Meguro's work in Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Strange Journey, the Digital Devil Saga games, and the Raidou Kuzunoha Devil Summoner games is a lot better (in my opinion), while his work in the Persona series is just alright (again, just my opinion).

I guess that brings me to my question for you eal: When you say the soundtrack is godlike, are you referring to the entire soundtrack itself, or just the vocal tracks plus a few others?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Mostly the vocal tracks, but I like a lot of the instrumental tracks like A New World Fool, Traumerei, Like a Dream Come True, The Almighty, The Genesis, and I'll Face Myself (including the battle version). There's over 2 hours worth of music so naturally not everything is a winner.

And the explaining of the plot just went overboard way too much. Every time someone figured something out about the Midnight Channel, someone went "So you mean...." and there were a ton of instances where the group would go over what they know at that moment and the current situation, especially since they don't really learn much of anything until around the 30 hour mark.

Edited by eal

Update 13:

I went to Tartarus the night before the full moon. I grinded a few levels and fused a few Personas. I also made it to the second boss guardian thingy in the third block. I must say, I'm certainly getting stronger each time I go to Tartarus. I'm no longer being one-shot by the enemies.

Now for the Full Moon Boss. I DID manage to take it down. It wasn't easy, but I put Yukari and Akihiko on Heal/Support and Aigis on Act Freely. We came pretty close to dying a few times, but I pulled through. I gained 2 levels from this fight to put me at level 29 now.

Social Link news goes as so: my link with the Gourmet King is at level 6 now and with SEES, I gained a new tactic where I can set my allies to attack the same target. That will come in handy.

I also gained a new ally. He's certainly an interested addition to my team. He's

a dog named Koro

Update 14:

I went deeper into Tartarus. I've made it to floor 110 now. That's up from the floor 85-ish I was at when I started playing. I must have gained about 4 levels now. I'm determined to be at a more suitable level by the next full moon. I've also nearly defeated the current Tartarus boss I'm at. Since my Persona is immune to Garu skills, it can't really hurt me, unless it reflects physical attacks or stabs me. I've also tried a large combination of party members and I've grown fond of Koromaru. I'll be using him more often.

I did Summer School as well. It was certainly interesting what that nurse dude said. I'll be sure to visit him after school more often.

I guess story wise, not a lot of progress has been made. But the full moon is about 2 weeks away, so I'm guessing that more information will be coming in the upcoming days.

My current playtime is about 32 hours.

Update 15:

I managed to defeat the September boss. It was certainly some interesting events this month. First, Junpei was kidnapped by Chidori (dun dun dah). And then, after I defeated the boss, Chidori ended up in the hospital. Still not too sure what her deal is with Strega, but she doesn't seem all bad. I also learned that Shinjiro was/is a drug dealer or something along those lines. Also, Akihiko lost his sister in a fire when he was younger. That would explain why he is who he is.

In terms of the actual battle, I decided to try out Shinjiro in this fight. He proved to be a very hard hitter, which was nice. He even scored a critical hit so that we could do an all-out attack. The stupid thing had a very annoying charge up attack that wrecked Yukari. But, in the end, between myself, Shinjiro, and Koromaru attacking, we took it down.

Social Link news was interesting. I started one with the thin guy at the shrine. He is Sun Arcana I believe and I started and reached level 2 with the Star Athlete dude, who is the Star Arcana. My relationship with Yuko has reached level 7 and it says she might not like it if I'm with other girls (dun dun dah). I also reached level 4 with the Music Club.

Edited by Democrobot

None of the girls like if you are with other girls especially Chie.

Which is your favorite Social Link? I think mine was Hermit.

How do you like Koro? I always thought it was funny him having a knife in his mouth but a very cool character.

Which is your favorite demon? Mine is Metatron, give him Victory Cry, Null Dark and your are golden.

None of the girls like if you are with other girls especially Chie.

Which is your favorite Social Link? I think mine was Hermit.

How do you like Koro? I always thought it was funny him having a knife in his mouth but a very cool character.

Which is your favorite demon? Mine is Metatron, give him Victory Cry, Null Dark and your are golden.

I don't have a favorite Social Link per say, but I do like my relationship with Yuko, which is Strength.

Koro is pretty awesome. I'm certain I'll be using him a lot more in the future, after I get Junpei, Aki, Mitsuru, and Aigis up a few levels.

I've never heard of Metatron, but I do like Yamatashi-Orochi of the Moon Arcana. It serves me very well.

Edited by Democrobot

Black Frost is like the best Persona. It's weak to nothing and drains fire and ice magic. Aside from a boss that dealt almost always physical damage, I used him and only him and he served me well.

Black Frost is like the best Persona. It's weak to nothing and drains fire and ice magic. Aside from a boss that dealt almost always physical damage, I used him and only him and he served me well.

How do I make a Black Frost?

Hmm. From my research, it looks like Black Frost functions a bit differently between Persona 3 and 4. In Persona 4, he resists fire and darkness, blocks ice, and is weak to light. If you're still interested, you'll need the ability to cross fuse Queen Mab, Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and King Frost.

I still can't go beyond a Triangle Fusion yet. And I don't know how to make a King Frost.

It's a relatively high level Persona. It's level 38 or 39 I believe so I don't think you'd be able to make it in the first place.

I'm level 38 almost 39 right now.

eal is certainly right about Black Frost.  I ended up fusing one in Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey, and he was in my party for nearly the entire game once I got him, plus he ended up learning the mighty Luster Candy ability which boosts all stats for the active party.  His resistances and abilities make him a valuable ally in any SMT game, main game or spin-off.

Definitely fuse him if/when you get the chance, and do the same with King Frost if you can. If I had to guess, ol' King Frost will be a physical based Persona so he can be of use too.

From what I read, I need to complete a quest from Elizabeth to get an item so I can fuse a King Frost first.

Update 16:

Igor has now given me the power to fuse 4 or 5 Personas at once. I can't make anything this way yet, but I'm sure I will before too long.

Social Link news, my link with Bebe, the French dude, is level 3 now. The same goes for the Star Athlete. My link with Yuko is level 8 now and things are getting pretty intense. I even saw her room.

The typhoon came to Japan. It forced the shutdown of the festival and it caused me to sleep for 3 days. I'm a little disappointed that I missed out on those days and the chance to work on my Social Links.

In Tartarus, I made it to Floor 135, where the next boss is. I can't seem to defeat it. It is fire based, but has a non-magic attack that hits all of my party and deals enough damage to kill them all. I guess I'll need to train my team some more (Yukari, Junpei, and Koromaru are the ones I'm using).

Chidori has shown her powers by healing some dead flowers. I suspect this may be relevant to the plot later on.

• 3 weeks later...

Update 17:

So, in Tartarus news, I unlocked the next area. The enemies are a lot stronger than I expected, but nothing Dr.Main can't handle. I'm just leveling up my weaker heroes right now (those being Mitsuru, Ken, and Aigis).

I defeated the October Boss. I had fun using the roulette wheel against it. MWAHAHA.

Social Link news. With Maiki, the girl at the park, I've reached level 4 now. Bebe has hit level 5. The Star Athlete one is 4 now. Yuko sounds like it should level up right away, which will be nice. I like her.

Now onto some sad news:

So, upon the defeat of the October boss, it cut to Ken and Shinji, who were not at the operation. It turns out that Shinji accidentally killed Ken's mom two years ago that day. Well, Ken wanted his revenge, but he couldn't do it. Then Takeya, the Strega dude, shows up and shoots Shinji in the knee cap. He then goes to shoot Ken, but Shinji jumps in front and takes the bullet. He dies shortly afterwards.

Both Akihiko and Ken have unlocked their Ultimate Personas now. I have yet to see how Akihiko's works, but Ken's seems to be okay for now.

Update 18:

I played through Tartarus a bit more. I've made it to floor 146 (I think), but the Hell's Knights are wrecking me. They can be charmed though, so I'll be looking for a Persona that can use Sexy Dance and try to charm them all at once.

What's your time, Democrobot?

What's your time, Democrobot?

I'm sitting somewhere around 46 hours right now.

Why don't you just use your personality on them then? :P

They can't handle my personality.

I figure this is the best place to post this. Persona shall consume your SOUUUUUUUUL and your MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OThgYAgng18

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • 2 weeks later...

Update 19:

Exam week has come and gone. Even though I hadn't played the game for a while, I still did pretty decent on the exams. I only got one question wrong.

Social Link news, my link with the Gifted Athlete is level 5 now. My link with Yuko is level 9. The link with the dying young man in the park is level 2 now. I think I'll make an effort to keep at that one. The Sun Personas seem useful from the one Persona I used.

Tartarus news, I managed to get a Persona with Sexy Dance and charm my way through the battle with those stupid knights. I'll be progressing forward next time I enter Tartarus.

My current level is 50 and my playtime is sitting at 46 hours and 12 minutes to be exact. Which means to disregard the last playtime comment I made.