Sign in to follow this  
jamiras843

IV Changes

What's with musical changes? The brief intro on the world map music, the added parts of the towns and towers... I expected decreased quality but not something glaring like that. Anything else major that has been altered?

what was the change? didn't the DS one use that music too?

No.

Yeah, it's a pretty annoying change.  So the intro to the walking music for Ragnar's chapter is definitely from the orchestral score.

The problem is that the intro is so long that you barely have time to walk before another battle begins.  Therefore you don't really get to appreciate the music unless you stop playing, let the game sit, and listen to it--which is atypical for actually playing the game.

Starting with Dragon Quest VI-SFC, I believe, they began pausing the music when a battle would ensue and picking it back up again after it was over.  I think developed DQIV-DS's music the same way, but I don't remember.

I don't know why they reverted back.  It makes me want to shut the music off, but it's a shame, because the musical score for this game is really excellent.

I also noticed that they included the crescendo (musical technique meaning the gradual increase in volume from soft to loud) in the battle music, which is something they've been historically leaving out of the DQIV remakes.  I don't believe they've included the crescendo since Dragon Warrior IV-NES.

Edited by Liamland

To be fair, there was a -lot- of complaining here about the DQ8 release not having orchestrated sound.

Apparently, this does, and ya'll don't like it?

• Upvote 2

I also noticed that they included the crescendo (musical technique meaning the gradual increase in volume from soft to loud) in the battle music, which is something they've been historically leaving out of the DQIV remakes.  I don't believe they've included the crescendo since Dragon Warrior IV-NES.

Hahaha, that is something I remember you specifically being upset about 10 years ago when the PSX version came out.  It's impressive that the NES version had it in the first place.  It definitely leaves an impact.

• Upvote 1

Againi wasn't complaining just noting and seeing if there were any other changes. I was tired so my post may have been cranky.

Is boom Town/Pioneer Town included? I didn't see anything about it in the ios or android page. I know that this mode supported tagging on DS, and would hate to see that Pioneer/Boom Town was removed just because one small part of it (connectivity) was not possible,

Edited by cybersavior

To be fair, there was a -lot- of complaining here about the DQ8 release not having orchestrated sound.

Apparently, this does, and ya'll don't like it?

Thought I said this already, but...

DQ4 mobile's music is NOT from the symphonic suite. It's synthesized, but the compositions are closer to those from the suite. (Hence the intros and stuff).

Liamland pointed out the biggest issue I have with the more recent releases. The map music should pick up where it left off after a battle. It was decision made out of pure laziness. This isn't the NES era, get with the times. DQ games for the most part have great map music and it's a shame that it gets restarted after every battle.

• Upvote 1

That's not a trait exclusive to IV though. Dozens of RPGs do that. Recent ones too.

Oh I know. I really enjoy game music and that kind of stuff drives me nuts.

Hahaha, that is something I remember you specifically being upset about 10 years ago when the PSX version came out.  It's impressive that the NES version had it in the first place.  It definitely leaves an impact.

Yeah, I wrote the DQIV wiki article on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_IV:_Chapters_of_the_Chosen#Soundtrack

The original Dragon Warrior IV was one of the few games to feature a crescendo during the battle music, a gradual increase in volume from soft to loud. Such a technique was virtually unheard of for an NES game. Not even the PSX or NDS remakes of Dragon Quest IV would feature the crescendo. This level of detail is preserved only in the NES OST and the orchestral soundtrack recordings.

I need to update it now to state only the NES OST and mobile versions feature the crescendo.

I think it was late in the FC/NES era that they realized they could use that technique.  You didn't hear it very often.  It might be something that was always available with the chiptune player, but maybe it was a level of detail that was only rarely used.  I do remember a similar diminuendo (loud to soft) in the NES version of Top Gun (at the end of the opening theme.)

I'm trying to rip the soundtrack but found .akb files. I'm having a tough time figuring out how to convert it to MP3. However, I've uploaded some line-in recordings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P58XdF0Gkyc

Edited by ChucklesProduction

Hmm... Is .akb a midi-type file or an actual sound file? If it's actual sound, then the iOS version probably has the music in Apple Lossless, which I can convert to MP3 or if I'm lucky, WAV. (WAV is lossless - but the files are huge compared to FLAC. But windows doesn't like FLAC.)

EDIT: I just assumed you're on android. Let me know if I'm wrong.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero

I'm trying to rip the soundtrack but found .akb files. I'm having a tough time figuring out how to convert it to MP3.

Audacity seems to work for opening .akb files. If not through File > Open, try Project > Import Audio.

EDIT: I just assumed you're on android. Let me know if I'm wrong.

I'm using the ios version, which is the .ipa file which contains the .akb files.

Audacity seems to work for opening .akb files. If not through File > Open, try Project > Import Audio.

Thank you, it's just what I need so I'm on it.

Edited by ChucklesProduction

V1.0.0 or V1.0.1?