Sign in to follow this  
Cranberry

Dragon Quest Dungeon R

Back in 2006, Woodus posted an announcement about Dragon Quest Dungeon R.

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8197

He correctly predicted that it would never leave Japan.  The game quickly faded into obscurity and became an extremely rare item in Japan.  The game now absurdly expensive.  I have now proven my insanity.  In order to be able to show it to you guys, I purchased the game and today it finally arrived.

cbd3556d4352a0c1d60c83362a969186eae07dc.

For a board game, the box is surprisingly simple.  Most board game boxes are quite busy with the whole box being covered with art.  Not so here.  A surprisingly un-eventful cover.

7da352604d90ac07df0e803c2fa624b6b0cb53a.

Opening the box, this is what I am greeted with.  The blue box contains the pieces, and the game instructions are surprisingly colorful.  It's a fairly big instruction booklet.  Enjoy that irst page.  That's the only English you are going to be seeing!

db435b784a9aa374d15a8fe92c175c00faf0bfa.

Here's the pieces all packaged up.  There's quite a lot that comes with this game!

b7215c43aad3822fd19461755be6da976bef0fa.

You may have heard that the game is similar to Battleship.  Well, the board is a little bit.  You get these walls that you set up around your board, and as you can see the boards themselves are a grid system similar to Battleship.  You do call out grid locations too during gameplay, but you're not trying to sink ships.

13435beb4113af8cdfda8aa426b1c6f97e28743.

Check out all these pieces!  Each player gets a set of monsters, a hero, and a princess.  The Dragonlord is one the master of your dungeon.  See those walls? There's white and blue ones.  Get this, the blue ones still had spots of wet paint on them!  This game is  8 years old and it was sealed so well the blue walls still have bits of wet paint!  I got some of it on my fingers!  That is incredible!  Now that they are finally being exposed to air, I expect they'll dry relatively quickly.

b8525374a8adfde089725ed0004cb51a0b1b438.

So here's an overhead shot of everything.  Check out how big that die is!  I probably should have shown a regular die next to it for context, you'll just have to take my word on it that it's really big!  All of the pieces are a pretty good size.  The game includes stickers and sheets of paper showing the grid.  The idea is you'd mark what location you called out on that grid to remember where you've been.  I'll get to that in a moment.  The stickers go on the bottoms of the treasure chests and monsters.  The chests can either be a legitimate treasure, or a mimic!  The stickers show what it is.  The little brown panels represent a pitfall, where you land after falling in the pit, the dungeon entrance, and a ladder to climb out of the pit.

1fe25da49ead7d6980823b76fb27bf96719886a.

Here is an example of what a typical dungeon might look like.  You place your 28 walls and build your dungeon.  The other player cannot see your dungeon, and you have to tell them the location of the dungeon entrance and the Dragonlord.  Starting at the dungeon entrance, players will call out the next location they want to visit.  It must be connected to a place they've already been to.  So for example, in this picture the dungeon entrance is at J-8, so the player might call out J-7.  In this case, they would hit a wall.  Hitting a wall results in your turn ending and your opponent would then take their turn.  If you hit a monster, you can either fight the monster or run away.  If you run, your turn ends.  If you fight and win, you draw a card and continue moving.  If you lose, you lose your next turn.  Fights are fought with the die.  You have 5 HP, and you roll the die.  5 + die roll must be higher than the monsters HP to win.  Certain treasures and cards can assist you with battles.

If you land on the pit (located at C-3 in this picture and mostly hidden), you wind up on the smaller grid to the right and must make your way to the ladder to climb back up.  You would land on W-4 in this case.

If you reach a treasure chest, you can choose whether to open it or not.  If you open it and its a treasure, you get the treasure and keep going.  If you don't open it, your turn ends.  If you open it and its a mimic, you fight it like other monsters, only no card for victory.

If you locate the princess, you permanently gain 1 HP.

Ultimately, you must find the Dragonlord.  In the easy version of the game you simply find the Dragonlord to win.  In harder game modes, you must find and defeat the Dragonlord to win.

That's Dragon Quest Dungeon in a nutshell.  This is very hard to get these days.  It cost me $400 to acquire this and be able to show it to you all, so I hope you like seeing it!

• Upvote 4

That is a cool game. I wish I could get me paws on this.

$400!? Holy cow! Congrats on your purchase and thanks for sharing!

Very awesome Cranberry, thanks for sharing this.  I'm amazed at the price, but hey, that's a pretty nifty board game there.  Are you actually going to play with it ever, or are you going to instead encapsulate everything in a case or something for display?

You should make a this into a mobile game like you are with the Slime Racing.

That's pretty great! Thanks for sharing!

And your insanity is well worth it  :thumbsup:

This is beyond gorgeous!!!!!!! Look at all those lovely 3D pieces and cards and ... guh! The Awesomeness!

Thank you so much for sharing. I'm going to have fun DQ Dungeon dreams tonight. ;)

This is a bit of Dragon Quest merchandise that fell into obscurity in Japan? Crazy.

Thanks for showing this off, yo. The little monster figures are too cool. Kinda reminds me of that chess game the folks in DQV were obsessed with... but then again, I think there was something else that reminded me of that before, but I can't recall now :P D'oh.

I always wanted this (no way I could pay that much for it, so I just kept wanting it).

I had mostly seen a few pics of an armed dungeon. Reading the explanation and seeing so many pictures makes me realize just how cool this really is.

Also, is there a way you could share pics of the druin and the droll from every angle? Those are two of the most fan art unfriendly monster designs out there, since it is hard to know how they parts not in the official art are meant to look.

Loving those pics- great work Cran!

Wow,amazing!*adds game to the list of stuff I want but won't own ever*

Regarding the request of pictures of the monsters from different angles, I'll take some additional pictures this evening for you.

I didn't buy this to make it a trophey, though at the same time I don't have anyone to play it with.  I'll try and find something to do with it though.  I really mostly got it to show it to the Den.

As for making it into a game like I'm doing with the slime races, that is something that has crossed my mind.  I do think that is something that is within my capabililties of doing.

The board game has 3 rule sets.  The rules come from here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/192363/level-1-and-2-rules

In the easy version, you use 24 wall pieces, and the only monster that gets set is the Dragonlord himself.  The "pit" board is not used.  None of the treasure chests or monsters get set.  Its essentially a race to see who can reach the Dragonlord first.  You don't have to fight him, just reach him first to win.

In level 2, the pit and treasure chests are added.  This time you can fight against mimics and the Dragonlord.  First player to beat the Dragonlord wins.

Level 3 is what I described above, and is where you use all of the monster pieces and cards are introduced into the game.

All of this are things that are within my programming capabilities, and I do feel I could get a game like this working.

I had also thought about the possability of making a "Cranberry Mode" in which I modified the rules and made a 1 player adventure style game where you progressed through dungeons of my design, and I introduced an EXP and leveling system, and perhaps some of my own cards.  I could implement a kind of "save" system and design several dungeons for players to explore.  Upon finishing one, you'd advance to the next.  I'm just not sure how much interest there is in such a thing though.  I want to finish the Slime Race program before I'd start this, but I'll toss the question out.  Is there any interest in something like this?

The Slime Race board game is starting to get close to completion, so it wouldn't be that long before I could start up on this one.  Anyways, let me know if this is something you guys want.  As with the slimes, if you guys want this, anyone willing to make some sprites for me to use as the graphical representation of the peices would be appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Thanks.

And it does look like this game lends itself very well to being "computarized".

Regarding the request of pictures of the monsters from different angles, I'll take some additional pictures this evening for you.

I didn't buy this to make it a trophey, though at the same time I don't have anyone to play it with.  I'll try and find something to do with it though.  I really mostly got it to show it to the Den.

As for making it into a game like I'm doing with the slime races, that is something that has crossed my mind.  I do think that is something that is within my capabililties of doing.

The board game has 3 rule sets.  The rules come from here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/192363/level-1-and-2-rules

In the easy version, you use 24 wall pieces, and the only monster that gets set is the Dragonlord himself.  The "pit" board is not used.  None of the treasure chests or monsters get set.  Its essentially a race to see who can reach the Dragonlord first.  You don't have to fight him, just reach him first to win.

In level 2, the pit and treasure chests are added.  This time you can fight against mimics and the Dragonlord.  First player to beat the Dragonlord wins.

Level 3 is what I described above, and is where you use all of the monster pieces and cards are introduced into the game.

All of this are things that are within my programming capabilities, and I do feel I could get a game like this working.

I had also thought about the possability of making a "Cranberry Mode" in which I modified the rules and made a 1 player adventure style game where you progressed through dungeons of my design, and I introduced an EXP and leveling system, and perhaps some of my own cards.  I could implement a kind of "save" system and design several dungeons for players to explore.  Upon finishing one, you'd advance to the next.  I'm just not sure how much interest there is in such a thing though.  I want to finish the Slime Race program before I'd start this, but I'll toss the question out.  Is there any interest in something like this?

The Slime Race board game is starting to get close to completion, so it wouldn't be that long before I could start up on this one.  Anyways, let me know if this is something you guys want.  As with the slimes, if you guys want this, anyone willing to make some sprites for me to use as the graphical representation of the peices would be appreciated.

That would be pretty interresting, indeed.

Good luck for your projects.

That is such a cool little game! I'd be willing to make some sprites if you could get some closer pictures of the game pieces, board, and cards.

I tried to take some pictures of the Droid and Droll but they didn't come out well.  I'll try again later.  I have to get picked up at 3:30 AM for a flight so I really need to get to bed now.

Just wanted to bump this and say thanks for sharing those pictures and descriptions with us.  I have never heard of this game before and it looks amazing.  What I wouldn't give to be able to play this...

Don't worry, cran. Just do it when and if you have the time.

Looks amazing, you probably need a lot of dedication to set the game up each time  :P But it's awesome nevertheless

Edited by wiregu

I know this topic is old, like VERY old, but as huge Dragon Quest fan & Collector I was looking to buy this, however, the price really is crazy. I'm thiking since I'm a graphic artist and also using 3D printing that maybe I could make file versions of all its components for everyone to download. I would reproduce the boards, the figures for 3D printing and even the box. However, I would require lots of images to start with. 

Edited by SlimeQuester