A random stranger draws near! Command?

So I was just on the bus, playing DQ4 on my iPad, and a guy sat next me and asked what I was playing. I told him and he seemed amazed that there was a Dragon Quest game on a tablet (or any RPG for that matter - he said he loves playing RPGs). He'd only played VIII on the PS2, and he said that it was too bad a game like that wouldn't work on a tablet. So I showed him DQ8, and he was once again amazed. I told him to check out DW7 specifically as well, among the other DQ games. Unfortunately, right before I was going to tell him about the Den, he and his friend had to get off the bus.

Also, I got distracted talking to him and missed my stop.

Anybody else have some stories about meeting DQ fans in the wild?

A girl in my grade 9 Films Study class talked to one of my friends about how she couldn't be Solitaire. At the time I assumed it was the card game, but when I heard her mention a bunch of Dragon Quest monsters, I was honestly shocked. That was the first and only time I ever met anybody in person who played Dragon Quest who I didn't get to play it. Now I've become great friends with her.

At least he didn't offer candy and a ride in his van!

Well not quite anything like that.   I did bring my DS out while in line at the Post Office.  Within was Dragon Quest IX, my main save, doing a bit of extra MKS slaughtering.  This guy pops up behind me, checks out my game, says nothing, looks around, shrugs, nods, then pulls out his 3DSXL.  Never spoke, but my act of playing clearly gave him the sense it wouldn't be judged (we live in a community with a lot of older folks...I mean this is mostly a retirement community).

When I was in 9th grade,I was playing Dragon Warrior 3 on Gameboy color during lunch.  While playing, a foreign exchange student from Japan came over excited and started saying "Dragon Quest!?  Dragon Quest!?"  He didn't know much english, and I didn't know much Japanese yet so I nodded and let him check out the game.  "Ah!  Romaly!" he said, reckonizing where I was at in the game.  

So I let him play my GBC the rest of the lunch period.  He was probably grateful to get a reminder of home, and I was grateful to have someone recognize a game that I loved.  At that point, I didn't know anyone who had played any DQs before, besides the people who I had introduced to the game.

Haha. It must have been a shock to hear him say "Dragon Quest" when it was known as "Dragon Warrior" at the time. You learned something about the series few people at your age at the time would have known.

I haven't met anyone in my school (or my friends, who mostly consist of people two grades ahead of me) who has played Dragon Quest before, or even heard of it. The only JRPG (many) people play a lot is Pokemon. (Mostly the GBA games, everyone plays them on their iPod using gba4ios).

I wish more people cared less about "0MG $W4G (0D!" in my area

I think that's nearly everywhere now, haha. But I do enjoy when people do it for the sarcasm.

And the only person who I met during Summer Session in College that knew about Dragon Quest was a Japanese international student who I hung out with. Unfortunately, he didn't care for the series or cares much for video games in general. He is more into working out and hanging out with friends. 

So no, haven't met anyone who really cares about DQ. Though I have heard some people say they have played DQIX, but it's not anything especial to them.

Neat story, Erdrick. And everyone else.

I don't have any stories, myself, but it's fun reading all of yours. :)

Guess to have a story like this I need to be more of a people-person.

• Upvote 1

For the past 3 years the DQ level up sound has been my email notification on my phone. 2 years ago a kid on my class recognized it from Fortune Street. This was a 4th grader, but the smartest kid in the class, so I wasn't too surprised he knew how to play it. Other than that kid, I've had a couple kids in my classes play Joker. I talked it up since there were a ton of Pokémon players that year. Most liked it. No DQ adult stories though.

Oh! Another funny story I just remembered.

During my senior year of high school (god it's weird thinking I'm not in High School anymore) I took some classes at the local community college. I had to get up DAMN EARLY every other day to catch the bus out to campus, but got back home around 11:00 on those days. This was around December-January, so I had DQ1 on my phone at the time (I can no longer download it because it's an in-app purchase and is no longer free - I have no way to add Yen to my JP account)... I always played DQ1 on the bus - and very nearly finished before my phone glitched and I had to restore it to factory default. Anyways, twice on my way home, there were some japanese girls on the bus. The first group of girls didn't even notice, even though I was standing right in front of them (that bus was always crowded, so I usually had to stand). I would have hoped they'd notice, but I understand that even though everybody in Japan plays Dragon Quest, it's not literally everybody. The second group of girls did notice - and immediately started trying to talk to me in Japanese. I said something like "Sorry, I don't know Japanese," then they started pointing at my phone and saying "DraQue" (or however you write/spell the Japanese abbreviation that would be equivalent to our DQ). They obviously didn't understand english very well, I was unable to communicate to them that I could only play the game because I'd played the NES version. Wish I could've understood them, or they could've understood me.

I've had no luck with meeting other DQ players out in the world.  Most people when I played one of the games on campus last year would give me looks of confusion when I said what series it was, but they did ask about the series and showed a bit of interest.

I was able to get a friend to play the series (whether he wants to admit it or not, I know I was an influence on him)...unfortunately the first and only game he's played from the series is DQ IX, and seems to refuse to play another one until (if ever) X comes to the US.

Haha. It must have been a shock to hear him say "Dragon Quest" when it was known as "Dragon Warrior" at the time. You learned something about the series few people at your age at the time would have known.

Nah, I was already pretty well versed in Dragon Quest history at that point, thanks in large part to DQShrine (where's that update dwaine?).  So I knew what he was talking about.

See, Erdirck, another reason to learn Japanese. If you knew the language you could be hanging out with some Japanese girls right now geeking it up about Dragon Quest.

See, Erdirck, another reason to learn Japanese. If you knew the language you could be hanging out with some Japanese girls right now geeking it up about Dragon Quest.

Yes, because that's what you want to do while interacting with cute girls.

Hey, I'd do it if I knew a girl my age who played DQ.

• Upvote 1

I was actually referencing the choice of verb there. You should be "making" out with cute girls your age more than "geeking" out. Haha.

I'm trying to keep it PG. There are kiddies roaming the Den. I was originally going to use stronger language, then I was thinking saying "making out" but then I just settled on "hanging out" because I don't want to corrupt the minds of the young, dammit!

I'm trying to keep it PG. There are kiddies roaming the Den. I was originally going to use stronger language, then I was thinking saying "making out" but then I just settled on "hanging out" because I don't want to corrupt the minds of the young, dammit!

My guess is that if those kiddies you speak of are using the internet, their minds were likely corrupted long ago.  The internet is a scary and vast place after all...

And I shall not contribute to the corrupting of the nation's youth! Think about it. Their minds wouldn't have been corrupted in the first place if only there were more likeminded people.

I was actually referencing the choice of verb there. You should be "making" out with cute girls your age more than "geeking" out. Haha.

Wait. That's what kids are supposed to do? Man. To think I haven't even kissed a girl yet. I can catch 708 Pokemon, but not one girl. *sigh*

Edited by Democrobot

Wait. That's what high school kids are supposed to do? Man. To think I haven't even kissed a girl yet. I can catch 708 Pokemon, but not one girl. *sigh*

I feel your pain, my dancing friend...

Wait. That's what high school kids are supposed to do? Man. To think I haven't even kissed a girl yet. I can catch 708 Pokemon, but not one girl. *sigh*

I feel your pain, my dancing friend...

539535_354932504596756_850361433_n.jpg?o

Wait. That's what kids are supposed to do? Man. To think I haven't even kissed a girl yet. I can catch 708 Pokemon, but not one girl. *sigh*

I can't catch either D:

(I don't have any Pokemon games to speak of... Except Hey You Pikachu... And you speak TO that one...)