Bad News from Hollywood

I figured as a courtesy I'd come back and share this.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/08/11/robin-williams-dead-at-63-in-suspected-suicide-officials-say/

Very sad indeed. 

Unfortunately, mental illness is the kind of thing that will strike anyone regardless of how famous you are, how many fans you have, or how much you're loved by your family. He's been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, he struggled with alcoholism, and apparently he's been battling depression. Though it might be hard to believe someone with his kind of life would ever have feelings of depression, it just goes to show mental illness can affect anyone.

There are other alternatives, but to be in the kind of place mentally where you can't see them or deal with the world anymore surely what he must've had to go through was incomprehensible.

• Upvote 8

There are other alternatives, but to be in the kind of place mentally where you can't see them or deal with the world anymore surely what he must've had to go through was incomprehensible.

And aging definitely affects decision making, let alone if you already had a history of a mental illness. Yeah, its stupid, if you are mentally stable and are able to consciously distinguish your options, but a mental illness like severe depression, let alone someone of age, is almost like saying a baby was stupid for almost choking to death with something because he should have known better. 

I've been doing volunteer service work at a local shelter for elderly people with dementia. The only thing that is really keeping some of them alive is the fact they really have no idea what their state of being is. If I was any of them and had a sudden realization of what had become of me, honestly, what would be my other alternatives to live? Mental illnesses are a serious thing, and "normal" people already complain on how life is hard as it is.

Hope I didn't sound too harsh  :) I re-read what i wrote and yeah, it sounds sorta strong, but I honestly don't mean to pick on anyone in any way, so sorry if it sounded like it had a negative tone.

• Upvote 2

When I told my mother in law, she said "what a loser". Think I agree!

Sorry, but I can't agree with you or your mother in-law. That is pretty harsh, just sayian.

Unfortunately, mental illness is the kind of thing that will strike anyone regardless of how famous you are, how many fans you have, or how much you're loved by your family. He's been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, he struggled with alcoholism, and apparently he's been battling depression. Though it might be hard to believe someone with his kind of life would ever have feelings of depression, it just goes to show mental illness can affect anyone.

This. This this this this. I have had a few friends go through major depression swings, 2 of them taking their own lives. It's super hard not knowing how they are feeling or what they are going through to drive them to that madness. I'm sure they never wanted to take their own lives, its still really sad and heart breaking to see it happen.

How so?

Killing yourself is stupid. I can only imagine the anguish he felt but there's always other alternatives. 

No, you can't imagine it.  You cannot come close unless you experience it.  The overwhelming feeling of helplessness devolves into greater feeling of helplessness and hopelessness.  You feel as though the world itself has so much meaning and worth, and yet you yourself have none.  That in the act of reaching out and asking for help, you are committing the utmost sin of putting some sense of value in yourself when clearly in your own mind you are as nothing and thus have no right to even ask.  When lucid moments trigger, it becomes a pure embarrassment, there are generally two outlets for this.  One is to create a false sense of pride, and bury the sorrow and feeling of allowing such battles with the self in a pit of anger.  Or to find something to laugh about and to forget about the senselessness of such a battle and the inner anguish.  What's worse is if you've known periods of absolute normalcy.

If either improperly diagnosed, improperly treated, or other mitigating factors get in the way, or no treatment or self-help is ever sought, these bouts get worse and worse, especially with age (much of this has to do with buildup of certain heavy metals which can alter the brain function and change signal receptors and reception, but also degradation based on other factors such as diet, bad water, no water, flouride from excessive ingestion, actual physical diseases, certain viruses, some parasitical organisms, amongst other things).  Eventually things can lead to a point where you're at a crux.  Life has so little meaning you feel completely disconnected to it, however if there is a strong enough sense of purpose, or a connection to people, it can cause a kind of crux where you cannot kill yourself.  Even without this crux, there is a possibility where you go into a state where you hear nothing, feel nothing, desire to kill yourself, but cannot even fathom the energy because the very act would be hieneous to the world as it would mean someone had to "clean you up".  It can be a very vicious cycle that is hard to break, but it can be broken.

Certain things can actually exacerbate this suffering and can increase the frequency and intensity of these moments.  Physical pain, especially in the head, as from a head injury, drugs that really do not work for you (most SSRI's actually help cause, trigger these episodes, but even drugs you shouldn't be taking like Pain killers when you have no actual pain or too many, like taking 2 when you need only 1 oxycodone in a day to help relieve injury), repressed memory recovery from periods of abuse perhaps by a trigger that stimulates said memory and can trigger an episode or series of episodes which are hard to work through without professional help, or things like illegal narcotics and drinking can actually build up heavy metals in the brain that help block certain signals and have to be cleared out over time by not taking them.

Over time if left untreated, or not properly treated, as with improper prescriptions, as is often the case, but one cannot know without either extensive testing and several MRI's and other methods for reading the brain, understanding of body chemistry which can be very individual, or foreknowledge of habits such as drinking, smoking, and any illegal or other narcotics which can alter the effects of various anti-depressants.

This just scratches the surface.  There are other factors often involve, or that MAY be involved, since we already know so little about Depression, and often triggers can be individual.  As well there are as many theories on genetic predispositions as there are the whole thing is based almost entirely on environmental factors.  What is known is that most patients of depression happen to have many mitigating factors in their childhood, but ALL patients suffered severe trauma at some point in their life that they could not cope with, or did not cope with.  Some type of very serious trauma that may trigger some repressed memory.  There are some theories that this trauma is more commonplace in people who are circumsized, and thus uncircumsized males are less prone to depression, however this would not explain female depression or the number of circumsized males who claim no experience.  You'll find children with very loud, angry, abusive, or simply dysfunctional parents tend to be a common theme amongst anyone suffering depression.  However there are cases where no known parental trigger is the cause, as the childhood was one of happiness, but perhaps another trauma, maybe a game with other children and being left in the dark somewhere, getting hurt...it's very difficult without very precise probing over a long period of time, allowing the gradual opening of a particular individual to seeing or understanding where the initial trigger was.  Often soldiers come back with depression, often linked to stigmas of war and knowing what one has done, or the difficulty of reorganizing one's life to a general citizen's at home, or perhaps due to some serious incident such as watching friends die in the field.

Whatever the case, whatever Robbin William's history, his life was one where he constantly strove to make people smile and laugh, even while he was actually hurt.  There is not one single person who has ever met him who has anything nasty or negative to say about him.  Whatever the circumstances, it is a tragedy that someone would die before their prime, however it happened, especially a life lived more for other than for himself (or herself).  Even if you don't like his work, at least show some respect for the life he lived.  It isn't as though he maimed/hurt people, or did absolutely nothing but live on a hill, and then took his own life.  Even if that were the case, pity at the very least, but no, this was a good man, and he should be remembered for that, and honoured for his body of work.

• Upvote 1

How so?

Killing yourself is stupid. I can only imagine the anguish he felt but there's always other alternatives.

No, you can't imagine it. You cannot come close unless you experience it.

I have. I know more about the subject than I care to talk about. It's a selfish and cowardly solution. But my opinion is obviously unpopular so I'll just see my way out. 

Edited by Excitemike

Don't ever feel like because your opinion is the unpopular one you shouldn't be allowed to say your peace, Excitemike. That certainly didn't stop me from arguing my points on the death penalty with Mortamor a few months ago. So long as you say your peace with respect to the other people who have different opinions there's nothing wrong with having an opposing viewpoint. I think you just rubbed people the wrong way when you used the phrase "what a loser" and seemed to take an unsympathetic stance on the issue.

• Upvote 3

Excitemike, it's fine to have your own opinion, but I would think that having gone through depression, and likely still dealing with remnants/ghosts of it that you'd find some level of compassion or at least understanding.  I get the idea that you've managed to survive, and thus feel as though someone who decided to let go and kill themselves, leaving loved ones behind to grieve prematurely, in a very senseless, and in some respects selfish act, regardless of how it actually feels in the moment of suicide contemplation where it feels like it is the exact opposite of selfishness, and the internalized dark feeling is that it is selfish to exist and bring misery or pain or fear of letting go and bringing such pain to others, or something along those lines.

I'm sorry you've had to suffer yourself, and I am glad to know that there are others who have been able to fight back against their inner depression and inner demons.  Not allowing it to take hold, but rather taking hold of it, and the feeling of pride and strength that brings.  I can say that is fantastic, but don't go down that other path.  Pity, mercy, and compassion is all we really have to relate to one another, as everyone, to some degree, has to suffer through some measure of tragedy, pain, and sorrow.

Anyway, more power to you mike.  *chest thump*

• Upvote 2

I might get a bit of hate for this, but I've never really considered suicide to be a particularly selfish act. I guess on the base of it, it makes sense that people would consider it selfish, seeing as they would be leaving behind their friends and family to pick up the pieces. However, I personally think if someone is going through something so dark that thinking that killing yourself is the only true way to end it, especially if you've had what others consider to be a good life up to that point, then I think it's selfish to think someone to keep on living when their lives are pure agony just so you won't feel horrible, a feeling that is equivalent to what someone living with depression has to go through everyday.

I absolutely do not endorse suicide. I do believe that there are other options. I just don't like that mindset that people prescribe to when they think the victim is selfish and I'm empathetic to their pain.

I think it is and it isn't.  It's based on a false sense of self, and a false sense of worthlessness, that is often compounded if not handled/treated.

It depends on perspective.  From the perspective of the individual who is going to, no, it's not, but from the perspective of someone who does not suffer from such a condition or from someone it is logical to assume it and see it as a form of selfish act, because at its heart it is in part the greatest form of selfishness, to give into the dark desire and to give into the false reality and to feel it the only release.  There are also many who have gone through bouts of suicide, and many who come to the sense and feeling the release is a self-motivated act alone, thus selfish, but this is not ever fully realized while the feeling persists...well ok, there is a voice in the back of the mind that says "this will only bring pain" and "this is selfish", like a voice of reason that calls out, and often pictures of loved ones, future realizations of the suffering it can bring to those close, if such strong relationships exist (I have no idea for people who literally do have no developed interrelations with other humans).  It's like a sense of the act, and if thought further the idea of the senselessness of the act is present, and the longer the thought of what the impact will be, the harder it is to act out, the stronger the sense of all possibilities and probable outcomes of what life would be like if this feeling of bottomless nothing...

I've had suicide attempts at choking, drowning, cutting since I was at least 7, that's as early as I can remember.  While I recall the feeling internalized in myself when in the act, it is very different from my perspective now.  Now I realize it is merely a want of the myself to give into those false desires, always brought on by false conceptualizations of my own actions.  Like if I accidentally say something nasty to someone.  It used to play in my head, then I would think of every nasty thing I've ever said, and it would devolve into thinking of myself as this horrible monster that only causes pain.  A lot of other thoughts stem from that, but the basic ghist is, I allow the overwhelming feeling of overplaying my transgressions.  I purposely allow these feelings to ignore all I've done that is positive, of feelings that I can make a mistake, apologize, hopefully learn from the experience, and move on.  So in the end, the actual choice to kill myself and to accept it, is at its heart selfish, because it ignores the full impact and the ridiculousness of the feelings and thoughts manifested while in the state of depression.

I'm not sure what you know or have experienced yourself Eal, but that's my insight on my own life and experience.  Now and again shadows of that still pop up, but I've learned how to talk my way out of it, to force my mind to wander to the opposite arguments and thus counterbalance the effect, and the resulting epiphany is...wow, I can't believe I allowed myself to analyze this one action/transgression/perceived transgression in such a negative way when all I had to do was attempt to turn it around or find out why someone else was upset (more often than not I had done nothing, but something else was bothering the person I was talking to, and they were easily triggered regardless of my own intent, action/words, and implied and rather obvious meaning of action/words).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zelda_Williams

Huh.  He had a daughter that he named Zelda, after The Legend of Zelda series.  I have a friend who also named his daughter Zelda for that reason.

I had heard he was also a huge Evangelion fan.

Whatever he was going through, and however he died, it can't possibly overshadow the amount of good he's done for the world through films, tv and entertainment in general.  It's society's loss.

I wonder if I will look at his movies any differently.  Hopefully not, but I guess time will tell.  What Dreams May Come is certainly haunting, in light of his death.  Good Morning Vietnam is one that I used to watch a lot, even as a kid.  Mrs. Doubtfire, Hook, Patch Adams, Jumanji, Aladdin, Good Will Hunting, Dead Poets Society... There's even movies I forgot he did like Popeye, Awakenings, or his creepy role in One Hour Photo (or I may be mixing it up with his role in Insomnia.)

Anyway, yeah, this is really sad.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if I will look at his movies any differently. Hopefully not, but I guess time will tell. What Dreams May Come is certainly haunting, in light of his death.

Hadn't really gone there in my head yet. Honestly, that's my favorite movie of all time. Odd, I know, but it is.

For those of you that don't know the plot, basically Robin Williams' kids die in an accident. Then he does. Then his wife commits suicide. He spends the movie in heaven and going to hell to rescue his wife. I hope someone goes after him.

Totally watching Hook right now. An early line from Robin, "When it's your time to go, it's your time to go." Ugh.

It's very sad to see him go. Robin was one of my favorite actors. No, my favorite actor.

My favorite non-Toy Story movie as a kid was Flubber. Too bad I don't have a VCR anymore, the only copy of the movie I have is on tape.

@Liamland I heard Robin Williams' character in One Hour Photo has an Evangelion toy and it apparently belongs to him. A quick internet search will take you to a million Evangelion fansites that mention this.

Also, Robin Williams was supposedly a hardcore World of Warcraft character and a petition that went up asking the WoW team to create an NPC of him in the game that would perform some of his best jokes was successful and they're working to put him in the game.

You see his penis in World's Greatest Dad

Why am I not surprised you would know this.

You see his penis in World's Greatest Dad

Too soon, Dwaine. Too soon.

That's usually the measurement of a good father, so to speak.

I actually had to stop myself from laughing.  Um...err, bad eal, too soon.  Though I guess in retrospect, Robbin Williams would be the type of guy who would prefer people laughed and joked around about his life, and found merriment in his work.  So carry on I guess.

He isn't dead. In the jungle he must wait, until the dice read five or eight.