How Games are Made: Dragon Quest VI

http://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/weekly/How_Games_Are_Made_DQVI.html

Someone posted this on GAF.  I thought it was pretty cool, so I wanted to share it here.

It's an old book from the 90s.  It talks about each of the developers in brief and discusses the game design process, and who does what.  

I love the pic of Sugiyama playing Mother 2.

Yup, this was posted...two (?) years ago when it was first put up. It's a very nice piece. One of the two print publicatons that I've known of to show the prototype hero sprite. (The other being EGM.) Also the only place I've seen the Barbara sketch. I should probably get my hands on that to get a big scan of it. Though if the book's dimensions are small, that might be a good as we get.

And never apologize for bringing natto.

Edited by Dwaine

Of course they didn't. It's not meant to be eaten. It's meant to be given to others while you enjoy the show.

I love this game so much, this is still my favorite DQ game personally. They must have killed themselves to make such beautiful graphics. I wonder how quick they made the remake though.

I love this game so much, this is still my favorite DQ game personally. They must have killed themselves to make such beautiful graphics. I wonder how quick they made the remake though.

It's my first DQ gam, so it is special for me. Even with an awfull translation (lines where pixed up between the different characters. It may be pretty hilarious, but it's not really convenient...) I ended up being really impressed by it.

ut bias aside, it's still an amazing game (DQVII may take the top place, but it's still on my top three (with DQV).

I know someone who started playing it and said it may end up their new favourite (It was DQIX before), and it made me pretty happy.

It's my first DQ gam, so it is special for me. Even with an awfull translation (lines where pixed up between the different characters. It may be pretty hilarious, but it's not really convenient...) I ended up being really impressed by it.

ut bias aside, it's still an amazing game (DQVII may take the top place, but it's still on my top three (with DQV).

I know someone who started playing it and said it may end up their new favourite (It was DQIX before), and it made me pretty happy.

DQVI was not my first (third or fourth) I had to use the unplayable Dejap version, it failed on me at the final boss after a night of making lego figures of Dhuran and Darkdream XD. I think the reason I loved it so much was the music and graphics, which are so mysterious and misty. I love the colors and music so much. And at an impressionable age of 6, I think it blew my mind

You got to the final boss of dqvi at the age of 6?

It took me two years to get to Deathmoore's palace, 3 months of learning I need this thing called "tactics" to beat Miralgo

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

DQVI was not my first (third or fourth) I had to use the unplayable Dejap version, it failed on me at the final boss after a night of making lego figures of Dhuran and Darkdream XD. I think the reason I loved it so much was the music and graphics, which are so mysterious and misty. I love the colors and music so much. And at an impressionable age of 6, I think it blew my mind

I must had around 10 more years at the point.

I used a French translation that was pretty bad. They also mistranslated and made those warrior at Amor (is that th correct name... The Town near a Waterfall.) two girls thanks to bad translation too.

Mortamor was a pretty hard fight though. And I didn't had as much experience as now. 

Huh, this is pretty cool.

The DS remake is shitty because they removed the beastmaster class. WTF choice there, Squeenix. Especially considering Terry's background.

• Upvote 1

The DS remake is shitty because they removed the beastmaster class. WTF choice there, Squeenix. Especially considering Terry's background.

They got rid of most of the recruitment system, sure it was not the best in the original. But instead of making it better, they got rid of it!

Oh this is more of a nitpick, but in the original both worlds looked different, the Dream World was a misty greenish world while the Real World was vibrant green and blue. But now they look the same and got rid of those unique small details that make DQ6 so mysterious. The music also feels more artificial and less grand. And the beginning is too easy (It was unrelenting in the original which is why it was so fun).

But at least they added a slime minigame!  

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee