Sign in to follow this  
Cain

Any programmers here? Animators? Anyone with game development experi

I've been mulling over a project for a while, but it's not something I can do alone.  It's Dragon Quest related which is why I posted it here.  Although I write software for a living, coding games is completely different.  I'm the guy that can write all the code for say the battle system, but I couldn't animate a stick man if my life depended on it.  Anyway, I'd like to see if there's any interest in starting up a community project.  I don't want to say too much more right now until I see what the interest is like an what kind of skill sets we have around here.  Right now I'm only looking for people that actually know how to program and do 3D animation.  We'll eventually need someone for music among other things, but I'll worry about that later.  Also this project will not be something to make money off of, but rather gain some experience and provide something special for the community for fans both new and old to the Dragon Quest series.  Let me know if you're interested and what kind of skills you have and we'll go from there.

EDIT:  I guess I should mention that my primary language is Java.  I've worked with C/C++ but it's been a long time.  The nice thing about using Java is that it would be quite easy to make an Android port.  I've played around with a few free libraries like libGDX which can also be used for an iOS port.  http://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/

Edited by Cain

I'd be interested in this. I actually went to college for game design/animation, and my senior project was making a game where I did most of the animations for the player character, and all the animations for 2 of the enemies.

I have experience in Fortran, Pascal, Basic, C, and C++, but this was all 12+ years ago.  Nor do I have the ability atm to practice and get back into the mindset.  As for animation, I used to toy with animators, but again, this was Maya3D and 3DAnimatorPro back in 2000-2001.  Waaaay out of practice and again, no functioning computer that can even run these programs anymore, so, sorry Cain.

If it should happen that things turn around for me, I'll definitely consider getting myself back up to speed and maybe helping out, but even as a consultant my knowledge memory is pretty sketchy at best.

Until then, good luck.

I'd be interested in this. I actually went to college for game design/animation, and my senior project was making a game where I did most of the animations for the player character, and all the animations for 2 of the enemies.

Do you have something you can share? Perhaps make up something quick with a 3d slime bouncing around? You can pm it to me if you don't want it public. Thanks.

@ignasia7 - if I think of something I'll let you know. We'll definitely need testers if we reach that point. Thanks.

Edited by Cain

I don't have a reel with just my work on it with me, but here is a link to the game running. All of the player character's movements you can see were done by me.

http://youtu.be/EPj_c3bp73U?t=1m18s

Unfortunately, I have no skill when it comes to modeling something in 3D. I can draw concepts of characters, rig them, and animate them, but I'm terrible at modeling, and sculpting.

I'm already busy with my own game, but if I wasn't, I would have loved to help.

Good luck!