Sign in to follow this  
Ashes

Things I wish I knew when I started...

Since we have a slough of new players I figured it is a good time for those of us who played some to share those things we wish we knew when we first started.

-Reskill requires a quest to be done (earliest is lvl 34 ithink) and 10k gold for one tree or 30k for all trees. I say focus on class trees until you figure out what weapon you like.

-The darn starting area photo quest that gives a genki requires you take a photo of the person BEFORE you can do the main objective

-You should upgrade your gear only once per 20 levels and lvl 42 gear is much cheaper than 50 on

-Crafting tends to make you money if you don't power level it and do they daily craft quests every day even for newbies if you can access the bazaar

-Passives make a huge difference in your effectiveness and survivability (the class trees)

-Google translate is terrible for trying to say anything in Japanese. Bing is better but not by much

-Money isn't impossible to amass, but it's infinitely easier at higher levels because of gate quests

-Buying gate quests at 30+ fame level is great for making money. Gold is harder than EXP to farm so ALWAYS choose gold.

-Lots of big attacks can cause tremors which results in falling down or doing massive damage. Learn when to jump

-If you're the healer keep everyone between you and the boss. Try to learn the rotation method of pushing if you're not the healer

-Kirapon, the 100 sp wand skill, is amazing but AI won't cast it. (This prevents status effects including decelerate etc)

-Hiring friends is free, but it will ask you to pay. When you accept no gold is deducted.

-PC users:

Ctrl + p is party

Ctrl + t is team

Ctrl + c is local

Ctrl + f is friend

Repeat the key while holding Ctrl to direct your message to one person. If typing in kana until you hit enter you can press space to change the underlined text from hiragana to katakana to kanji. You will get a smart text box appear use up and down to scroll through it and press A or enter to select.

Edited by Ashes
  • Upvote 3

af5877eb73.png

Bing approves that compliment.

Thanks a lot for posting this.  I ended up getting frustrated with the camera quest days ago.  I was also hoping jumping would be useful for some sort of gimmicks later on since we unfortunately can't jump over Slimes as entertainment.

Glad this thread was of use already.

I'll add one. You can't use the bank or the bazaar unless you buy the game. It took me a while to figure that out. The bank quest wasn't offered while I was on the trial version.

Yes, you can switch your keyboard between the two.

Phew! At least we can chat in eng with non-jap friends. Thanks :)

I'll add one. You can't use the bank or the bazaar unless you buy the game. It took me a while to figure that out. The bank quest wasn't offered while I was on the trial version.

Bank, bazaar, mail, trade, magic labyrinth, class change and residential areas are all off limits.

Resting at an inn will raise your fame level. Fame level is used to determine a few things. Certain quest including ones to expand your bags, bazaar slots and gate quests are all based on gate quest. You raise game by doing certain things. Fighting monsters who've not been engaged in 24-48 hours, finishing quests, crafting things that other people use all increase your fame. The last box in the first option of the status window is your fame status. You can exceed a fame level's xp and it will show 0. You're still getting game for doing stuff, but until you stay at an inn your fame level won't increase. Speaking of inns once you unlock the genki dama vendor, the guy in orange you'll get a weekly gold incentive. It pays out every week based on the day you unlocked the guy. Game level determines how much you get, and if you don't collect it for a while it just builds up. After my month break he had 12k for me.

Bank, bazaar, mail, trade, magic labyrinth, class change and residential areas are all off limits.

Resting at an inn will raise your fame level. Fame level is used to determine a few things. Certain quest including ones to expand your bags, bazaar slots and gate quests are all based on gate quest. You raise game by doing certain things. Fighting monsters who've not been engaged in 24-48 hours, finishing quests, crafting things that other people use all increase your fame. The last box in the first option of the status window is your fame status. You can exceed a fame level's xp and it will show 0. You're still getting game for doing stuff, but until you stay at an inn your fame level won't increase. Speaking of inns once you unlock the genki dama vendor, the guy in orange you'll get a weekly gold incentive. It pays out every week based on the day you unlocked the guy. Game level determines how much you get, and if you don't collect it for a while it just builds up. After my month break he had 12k for me.

Are you at max fame level?

Has anyone written a thread on how to play the pet jobs? I know ashes wrote an unlock guide for Tool User, but idk if there's a concrete location about info on them in one place. If not, I'd like to write an overview of how they play once you unlock them and explain/translate the first three skill types for the early monsters and etc.

There's also some neat things "hidden" in the pet menu for players who can't read the options, and Tactics are probably best explained.

I like writing about stuff so if there's room for it I'll start putting a guide together for playing them once I get back from work

Edited by Gigglepuffy

Go for it no one has. My guides are aimed at saving people time for when you've been playing a while and hadn't had time to try it out.

Ashes-chan ignores me so much.  :cry2: I is heartbroken.

:P

Things you now know.

Things you now know.

But yea, I would like to know if your max rank on that Fame, but if not, I take it with everything you done, takes quite alot I guess?

Has anyone written a thread on how to play the pet jobs? I know ashes wrote an unlock guide for Tool User, but idk if there's a concrete location about info on them in one place. If not, I'd like to write an overview of how they play once you unlock them and explain/translate the first three skill types for the early monsters and etc.

There's also some neat things "hidden" in the pet menu for players who can't read the options, and Tactics are probably best explained.

I like writing about stuff so if there's room for it I'll start putting a guide together for playing them once I get back from work

Sounds interesting!

If I want to play this class (Monster tamer like DQ7?), what class should I start with? I already started with my lv3 priest. Do I need to re-roll?

Thanks!

Sounds interesting!

If I want to play this class (Monster tamer like DQ7?), what class should I start with? I already started with my lv3 priest. Do I need to re-roll?

Thanks!

Thankfully you don't need to reroll under any circumstance, unless you want to significantly alter your character's appearance such as their race. You can swap jobs at 20 after doing a quest give by the priests at taverns and any skill points you put down now (mostly in regards to your job passive at the bottom of the skill menu) will only grow your character overall, so working on multiple jobs is a good thing in general. The only thing that might make a difference is that since you're a Priest at the moment, any equipment you have could be saved for any magic-oriented monsters like Heal Slime. 

Basically you can jump into it any time after level 20 so long as you own the game and its expansion pack (it's a pretty easy quest to unlock and only requires that you have 30 unique defeated monsters in your bestiary)

Sounds interesting!

Thanks!

Thankfully you don't need to reroll under any circumstance, unless you want to significantly alter your character's appearance such as their race. You can swap jobs at 20 after doing a quest give by the priests at taverns and any skill points you put down now (mostly in regards to your job passive at the bottom of the skill menu) will only grow your character overall, so working on multiple jobs is a good thing in general. The only thing that might make a difference is that since you're a Priest at the moment, any equipment you have could be saved for any magic-oriented monsters like Heal Slime.

Basically you can jump into it any time after level 20 so long as you own the game and its expansion pack (it's a pretty easy quest to unlock and only requires that you have 30 unique defeated monsters in your bestiary)

Thank you again for sharing this info to a new player like me. I will surely wait to read your guide. Really appreciated!

Things you now know.

But yea, I would like to know if your max rank on that Fame, but if not, I take it with everything you done, takes quite alot I guess?

I'm actually rank 59. I could be higher but I've not done everything by far.

Things you now know.

I'm actually rank 59. I could be higher but I've not done everything by far.

Whats the highest rank?

Haha thats a good rounded off number >.>  But damn, with all the time you put into the game.....just further shows DQX gets way more content than FFXIV ever would -_-

Not all things add to your fame the things I do generally don't.

I'm still working through all the quests. You can replay the majority of them. The ones you can repeat daily give a minutia of fame per completion. I complete one that gives an item that you sell to vendors for 2k. They're not used for anything else, so I just stockpile them for when I am dumb and don't remember my 12k for when I go into labyrinth and run into torneko. It's only happen once, but that's 60k profit that I didn't lose out on.