Dragon Warrior VII PSX Game Script progress

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been working on my DW7 game script for well over a year now, but I've been mostly cranking text out since March. I'd like to get it done by the end of the year, but who knows what obstacles life

Got another good portion of 7's game script done, including more sprites and an Immigrant appendix. I sent it to Woodus to update the file.   Coastal is next but I think I need to fix the Monster W

Yeah, isn't that insane! Of course they're like half-size pages, but still. Crazy the amount of stuff in this game.

Yeah. I should've clarified in the beginning. The only way I know that this is where Kiefer's lines should go is because they're nearly identical to Melvin's lines, just with some Kiefer-esque flair. ;) It didn't make sense to add Melvin's lines up there, 'cause they'll be in the main game script.

Update: Worked on Loomin this weekend. Did you know the Monster Park guy will give you the Monster Book if you didn't get it back in Orph? That's why I love doing these game scripts alongside a full text dump. There's all kinds of cool stuff in there I might have missed.

But back to Loomin. Now there's a Yes/No question with some punch. I'm trying to work out how to display it in the game script. When I work in my Word doc, I can insert a hyperlink so that when I click it, it'll take me to the appropriate section. Either Chibi Murderer or Chibi Savior. I'm wondering now if there's a third option. Has anyone ever agreed to kill Chibi and then just abandoned the town? I'll have to see what happens to the town in the present. Most likely it remains the same as the second time you visit after defeating HellVine.

Anyhoo, the game script. I'll need to check if the hyperlinks transfer when I save as a PDF. If not, I could try doing it like the old Choose Your Own Adventure books. Like: go to page ## if you choose to kill Chibi; go to page ## if you choose not to kill Chibi. However, this document is so huge, it may always be changing its page numbers. So if I add anything to the earlier chapters, it could change the "go to" page numbers.

Maybe one of the simplest solutions would be to use big, 18 point, bold, colored headings. That way readers can just scroll to the desired section, and they won't miss it because it's big and flashy. Yeah, that will probably work the easiest.

I'll try to finish up Loomin in the next couple of days and get an update to Woodus.

Updates for this week:

I finished Probina and Loomin this week, and I could've started straight away on Mardra, but I wanted to get some more spriting done. Here's what I've got for you.

th_regionsprites_zps9df777a5.png

(I realize the links send you to the ad-erific photobucket site. Sorry about that. Maybe I can figure out how to get a gallery page here at the Den... )

Anyhoo, this page has been added to the intro section with all the other sprites. The only name I'm not really happy with is the "Traveler." At first I thought he looked like he was wearing the Traveler Clothes so that could be an indication of what his name should be. But in Dharma this sprite is one of the guys you fight in the Arena and I think he's a magic-user, so maybe this is supposed to be a generic "Wizard" sprite. So far I've really only seen him in the Dharma region, so it would make sense that it's more of a class sprite, like the "Cleric" or the "Mage." I'll keep thinking about it.

Ch2maincharacters_zpsedbf5998.png

This is how I'm thinking of organizing the chapters. The main characters you meet on each new island will show up at the beginning. It adds a little color to the chapters, as well as showcases the unique sprites that would make the introduction just incredibly long if I put them there.

Here's the others I've been working on.

Ch3maincharacters_zps41d43c4b.png

Ch4maincharacters_zps84d13420.png

Not sure about this heading. Maybe I need to put Old Man Clayman in there as well, though that feels like a huge spoiler for when you find out that the old man you meet in town is the same as the warrior from all the flashbacks... Maybe I can just call him "Old Man" in the heading because he really is a main character for the chapter... I'll keep thinking.

Ch4Sim_zps30657970.png

This is how I showed Sim. It doesn't really work to have him at the beginning of the chapter.

Chapter 5 is Orph and since I added Gabo, the Woodsman, and the Wolf to the introduction section (the Woodsman and the Wolf got inserted in the "Family" section), it doesn't really seem necessary to have them at the beginning of Chapter 5 also. On the other hand, it leaves this chapter's heading rather bland. :(

Ch6pastmaincharacters_zpsc86da1df.png

Ch6presentmaincharacters_zpsffa3cd6e.png

Here are the headings for chapter 6. The past and present versions are equally long. It felt right to split up the main characters into their separate timeframes.

Ch7maincharacters_zps0165bd27.png

Chapter 7 has a mixture of normal sprites with a couple of unique ones. Sure the unique ones are just palette swaps of normal sprites, but I haven't seen Linda's or Pepe's color scheme on anyone else - yet.

Ch8maincharacters_zps8549e3f1.png

Finally, I also got all the main characters for Chapter 8. Though, I wonder if putting all 5 sprites on the same line is squishing them too much. I guess I've got two options when it comes to 5 main characters: either all on the same line like in Chapter 8, or two on one line and three on the other like in Chapter 4.

Hope this works as a semi-update for everyone. I'll wait until I get a bit more content and organization before I send an updated file to Woodus.

Edited by AerynB

These look freaking amazing! Really! I like the font, I like the colors, I like how you have the characters there. This is a really ambitious undertaking and you're doing it a wonderful amount of justice!

Really!? Aw, thanks! I'm glad you like it, and I appreciate your encouragement. It feels good to be over halfway done. Of course, there's still the last 4 islands and endgame stuff, and then bonus stuff like the immigrant town and the monster park and maybe even battle text. There's so much in the text dump. I'd love to get all of it into some kind of legible format. But first is the main game stuff. :)

AerynB, this is fantastic.  Everything is looking great, and I love the samples you have shown above.  It's amazing how many unique sprites there are in this game.  Thanks for all of your hard work in putting this together.  Really combines a pretty diverse skill set to assemble the script (with nice flow, grammar / spelling corrections etc.) and also rip high quality sprites from the game's vram. 

Thanks for the updates!

Thanks, guys!

I'm surprised by the number of unique sprites too, but maybe it's on par with the DS remakes. I'll just have to see when I start those game scripts. :)

Weekend Update:

Mardra has fixed one of my sprite issues. That "Traveler" guy mentioned above definitely needs to be called "Wizard" or "Magician." I'm leaning toward "Wizard" since that was a class name in the old DW3.

I've gotten through Mardra in the past, which means a big chunk of story is coming up next. And then I've got to cart Aira around the world to see what her comments are. I'll probably take her and Melvin to the past too, to match up some party chat that I've found in the text dump.

• 2 weeks later...

Geez louise! Backtracking in this game takes forever. Right now, I've recruited Aira and I'm dragging her around the world to see what triggers her party chat. I've finally gotten through the present world, so next is taking her to every past island. The text dump shows that she has chat lines coded for places I've already visited, I just need to go talk to everyone to see when she talks.

This will be a pain the butt when I get Maribel back and I have to continually swap people in and out in order to see all the chat. Why, oh why, doesn't this game have a wagon??

Try the debug menu to switch characters. Of course, use a different memory card file in case you screw something up.

I wonder if you can trigger Keifer's cut dialogue by adding him to the party from the debug menu...?

Ooh. Good idea. I hadn't thought of that. :) Three cheers for the debug menu!

Do you mean the Kiefer dialogue I mentioned for Probina? Yeah, I tried putting him in my party through the debug menu, but I couldn't trigger any of his dialogue. He was silent, like he wasn't there at all. :(

It's not toooooo awful. Just grueling. And exhausting. And mind-numbing.

;)

Hey, anybody know if the Monster Park has one configuration or many? I tamed a Mimic and I have the Graveyard BluePrint, but when I gave it to the Monster Guru man I couldn't find the graveyard. If the Monster Park has only one configuration, maybe I'm missing the blueprint that leads to the graveyard. Or maybe I need to save at a church and reset. Usually that does the trick in DQ games. ;)

Edited by AerynB

You need to reset to make the blueprint work (just like making immigrants appear or getting the last ? Share for the first bonus dungeon) either way, but you may need to find other blueprints too. (I'm not sure about the monster park configuration, I've not done much with it.)

You need to reset to make the blueprint work (just like making immigrants appear or getting the last ? Share for the first bonus dungeon) either way, but you may need to find other blueprints too. (I'm not sure about the monster park configuration, I've not done much with it.)

Thanks, Erdrick. I figured it was something simple like resetting. :)

Well, back to work!

The thing is, it could really use the update. Not just the graphics, but the script really is littered with typos. I feel bad saying this, but sometimes I think this translation team were amateurs. Or maybe it was just too huge a project and they had a deadline they couldn't work around.

I suppose if DQ7-3ds never gets released here, maybe this game script will help people who buy the Japanese version. Though I'm still holding out hope the game will come West. *crosses fingers*

Hey, SE actually seems interested now, and they're actually being smart in giving all this sudden attention to DQ in the West at once. Even if one or two games wasn't enough to spark media interest, all of this together is. And the more coverage it gets, the more people will be interested. (This isn't a suitable replacement for actually advertising/pushing the game when released though!)

The thing is, it could really use the update. Not just the graphics, but the script really is littered with typos. I feel bad saying this, but sometimes I think this translation team were amateurs. Or maybe it was just too huge a project and they had a deadline they couldn't work around.

I suppose if DQ7-3ds never gets released here, maybe this game script will help people who buy the Japanese version. Though I'm still holding out hope the game will come West. *crosses fingers*

I would love to see DQ VII made like DQ VIII where you can see full battle action.  Maybe it may get ported again to PS3 or 4. I still have not played 7 yet

I kinda hope it doesn't get ported to Playstation stuff. I have a 3DS and a WiiU just begging for DQ titles. I may have bought them for Zelda games, but I was also anticipating they'd be used for DQ. *still hoping*

Anyhoo, I'm almost done introducing Aira to all the past islands I've saved. I'm wondering now if I should put optional town revisits into an appendix. It would make it easier to show all instances of party chat instead of breaking it up in the main script for when you recruit Gabo, then when you recruit Melvin, and then Aira. Hmm... I'll give it some more thought.

• Upvote 1

It would make sense to just port it over for the DS as it is, and the translations would be the only projects necessary.

It looks nice already.  Nicer than it ever has.

I need to finish reading the DQ VII Magna.

Edited by Madrigal

DQIX also had some typos here and there (at least the French version. Things like wrong item message, for example...).

That's unavoidable when you have so much text and so little time (I guess they had some schedule). 

I've seen honnestly far worse Video Game Translations.

They made a pretty good job all things considered. 

I kinda hope it doesn't get ported to Playstation stuff. I have a 3DS and a WiiU just begging for DQ titles. I may have bought them for Zelda games, but I was also anticipating they'd be used for DQ. *still hoping*

Anyhoo, I'm almost done introducing Aira to all the past islands I've saved. I'm wondering now if I should put optional town revisits into an appendix. It would make it easier to show all instances of party chat instead of breaking it up in the main script for when you recruit Gabo, then when you recruit Melvin, and then Aira. Hmm... I'll give it some more thought.

Putting it on the appendix would works better, I think. It would brak the game flow otherwise.