Yangus' First Impressions: Etrian Odyssey Untold II trailer

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, I've been in an Etrian Odyssey/Atlus mood lately.  I have to say that waking up this morning, I never would have expected one of the first things I saw on Siliconera.com was an announcement that a new EO game was coming this winter (well in Japan anyway). 

About a month or two ago, Atlus threw up a teaser sight with an image of a tree, and many debated if it meant a remake of EO2 or a new entry in the series.  Sure enough, it was for a remake of the second game in the series.  This is pretty exciting stuff, but before I get ahead of myself, here is the lovely reveal trailer for the game.  (Please watch before reading my below points).

-The first thing to note from the trailer is when the game's title pops up.  In the small text to the bottom right of it, it reads:

1) In the doomed land of High Lagaard, guided by Fate

2) The destined princess wakes the Fafnir Knight.

3) When the Doom awakens and darkness fills the world,

4) Fafnir attains his true form and swings his golden sword.

*From this short "poem," I believe that the protagonist is this Knight of Fafnir, or could very well be the physical/human form of Fafnir.  Considering the power he seems to have, being able to transform into a demonic form and all, I wouldn't doubt this.

*The princess, meanwhile, seems to be the purple haired maiden named Arianna, whose job class seems to be the Princess class from EOIII (it's hard to tell, but look at :32 in the video and you should see it).  She also has the traditional white eye center that the class has in their design.  Of course, the "destined princess" could also be the resident princess of the city of High Lagaard.  Her name escapes me at the moment, but she's a key figure to the story in the original version of EO2.  You can see her at 1:33 with her back to the "camera."

-By the looks of it, there will be a brand new area to explore just like in the first Untold game.  You can see it more so in the animated cutscenes strewn throughout, but the best example of it is at :19.  That area was never in EO2, so no doubt this place will be significant to Untold II's Story mode and won't be accessible in Classic mode (since the game will more than likely have two modes of play).

*After re-watching the trailer a few times, I've seen screens of the party exploring an ancient ruins themed area, so this assumption must be correct.

-The playable characters shown off (:30 - :52) each represent a job class already present in the series, excluding the protagonist.

*Arianna (purple haired girl) is a Princess.

*Flavio (young man in all black) is (more than likely) a Survivalist.

*Bertrand (tall man with blonde hair) is a Protector.

*Chloe (small girl with witches hat that has a Pyro Jack decoration from Shin Megami Tensei) is a War Magus.

*The Hero (dark skinned man with bleach blonde hair) seems to have a unique class that allows him to transform between his human self and his demon/monster form.  For now, we'll call his class a Demon Knight.

-At :44, it looks like a new town area will be in the game, and will most likely serve the functions of the Mansion from the first Untold game.

Now for some predictions:

-Like the first Untold game, we'll see the return of the grimoire system.  This allows you to use enemy and other class skills you normally can't.  Hopefully this time around Atlus will have fixed some of the problems with this system that were present.

-Like I mentioned above, there will be a Story mode to experience the new (and altered) story of the original and to play as the new predetermined characters, and a Classic mode to experience the original game but with an updated look and some of the new additions.  My guess is that this time around, the new ruins area won't be a Story mode exclusive like how Gladshiem was in Untold 1 but will be more of a side area that you can choose to ignore or explore in Classic mode.

-Every character in the playable cast will get some story/character development time, rather than the focus falling on one particular character (such as Frederica from Untold 1).  While Untold 1 had good character development, you still didn't learn a whole lot about Simon, Arthur, or Raquena.  Hopefully this problem will be resolved (so to speak).

-Now, for how they'll handle the ending...(spoilers ahead for Etrian Odyssey II, so click at your own risk):

I sincerely hope that the story writers decided to keep the Overlord the final boss instead of making Ur-Child the new final boss in Story mode.  While I liked how they handled this idea in Untold 1, I don't want to see them repeat it again.  Ur-Child would make for a cool final boss, but I think it's status, back story, and disturbing appearance makes it better as an ultimate/super boss.

That's all I have for now, but if I think of anything else I'll be sure to add it to the list.  I'm looking forward to this remake, and I especially can't wait to hear what Yuzo Koshiro's soundtrack sounds like with the new arrangement style we saw in Etrian Odyssey IV and Untold: The Millennium Girl.

Thanks for reading. :thumbsup:

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Upvote 2

I've translated the text that appears when characters are introduced

:32
Princess of Duchy Caledonia, who is responsible for the ritual occurring once in a hundred years

Arianna

:36

Survivalist [it says ranger], childhood friend of Midgard library reconnaissance team (not sure of this one, but it can't mean anything else)

Furabyo (Flavio)

:42

Old protector [it says paladin]. Lethargic, irresponsible and troublesome.

Berutoran (Bertrand)

:46

A war magus [it says doctor magus], who has a problem with feeling emotions.

Kuroe (Chloe)

:50

Fafnir knight with a mark engraved on his right hand.

Hero (Main character)

More translation!

:04 A mark engraved on right hand

:06 It was...

:09 It was beginning of it all

:21 A ritual occurring once in a hundred years...

:53 Five people born and raised in different worlds (environments) meet

1:11 And, during the fight, Hero changes form

1:24 Eventually, before the truth is revealed, they are forced to choose

Edited by Sk8erpunq

This has me wondering...what if Horii left SE and joined with Atlus?

Oh boy, now another great game to look forward to too =D.  Thanks for the heads up Yangus, and the translations Sk8er.

The Midgard Library Investigation Team was also Simon, Raquna, and Arthur's team, if I remember correctly. 

The Hero Transformation seems interresting. At around 1:16, you see a battle screen with the Hero on his Demon Form. I wonder how it'll be handled, but it could lead to some interresting gameplay.

There's also a passage on the video who show Grimoires will return (There probably aren't any subclass).

I'm pretty excited by it even if it probably won't be out there until late 2015/early 2016.

Thanks for the translations, Sk8er!

I'm pretty excited by it even if it probably won't be out there until late 2015/early 2016.

It's dated for a winter 2014 release in Japan.  Considering Atlus's track record with past releases (such as in 2013 with Shin Megami Tensei IV and Etrian Odyssey Untold) we'll probably see the game about 2 or 3 months after its release...well, in America at least.  As for Europe, that could take a lot longer since Atlus doesn't have a Europe branch.

Oh boy, now another great game to look forward to too =D.  Thanks for the heads up Yangus, and the translations Sk8er.

That would certainly be interesting!  The possibilities could be endless.  Actually, I think Horii would be a good addition to the Etrian Odyssey team.  He could probably create some good stories and characters for the series, especially with another Untold game.

Thanks for the translations, Sk8er!

It's dated for a winter 2014 release in Japan.  Considering Atlus's track record with past releases (such as in 2013 with Shin Megami Tensei IV and Etrian Odyssey Untold) we'll probably see the game about 2 or 3 months after its release...well, in America at least.  As for Europe, that could take a lot longer since Atlus doesn't have a Europe branch.

That would certainly be interesting!  The possibilities could be endless.  Actually, I think Horii would be a good addition to the Etrian Odyssey team.  He could probably create some good stories and characters for the series, especially with another Untold game.

I meant for Europe. 

NISA are the one publishing it (And Persona Q), and it generally takes around 6 month (EOU was only available here early May of this year, and EOIV last year late August/Early September. EOII and III were never available here, but EOI was, and fully translated.

I saw some copy of the original, EO for sale recently.

(Ghostlight are the ones who handled the others Persona games and Devil Summonner Overclocked)

Horii working on EO would indeed be a dream comes true. He also have this amazing talent to create worlds.

I honestly could never get into the Eterian Odyssey series, I think it's because I left its harder cousins behind in the annals of time.

Etrian Odyssey has become one of my favorite series thanks to Etrian Odyssey III.  It caught my attention in Nintendo Power, picked it up not long after it released, and fell in love with it.  I love the amount of creativity you can put into your party and the world if you choose to, the excellent music by Yuzo Koshiro, and the addicting gameplay of drawing your own map.

Here's a new article over the game from Siliconera.  It explains a few things about the story and characters.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/07/etrian-odyssey-ii-untold-knight-fafnir-beast-protagonist/

The Japanese Atlus YouTube page posted these beauties earlier.  If this is what we can expect from the new arranged version of the soundtrack, then I can't wait to hear the rest.

You can definitely tell the arrangement style is a bit different from what we heard in EOIV and Untold 1's soundtracks, especially the percussion.  I can't wait to hear how the Auburn Thicket's theme and Shiver are going to sound.

First song: Labyrinth I - Woodland Ruins

Second song: Battlefield - The First Campaign