Sign in to follow this  
Woodus

Capture2Text

Anyone heard of this?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/capture2text/files/Capture2Text/

Supposedly it can screen scrape a secion of your screen and then convert it to text on the clipboard or display on a popup window.

So I am no programmer, but this comes with source code, I wonder if it could be modified to do a google translate on the fly as well?

Reason I am saying this is maybe it would be a way to make DQX somewhat translateable?

So here I was able to capture the priests conversation

capture message box to text.png

And then I pasted to Google (I know google sucks most of the time, but if you can at least get the gist of the conversation, except the sex part)

translate in google.png

If those two steps could be merged into a one step program it might make playing on the PC easier, but as I said I am no programmer and would have no clue where to start with this.

Moth holes? heh....

Lol...

Ok, ok...heheh Ima try this. *snorts* haha

Ok tried it, apparently spite I hit the executable, I see no pop up screen or anything.  Hm. 

Edited by Alexandrious

OK, I've got this.

It's written in AutoHotkey, which I'm not familiar with yet.

In line 1319 of Capture2Text.ahk file, final result of reading the text is stored in variable text. All I have to do is run wget with right parameters and store the output in text. I'll try doing that now.

Hm, badly designed, screws with admin privileges too.  Should never bind something to windows key.  Ill have to do a work around that will keep it working, trying to bind the start capture to anything else makes it not work. 

Edit: Seems have to do DQX in window mode otherwise trying to do a capture puts it out of it.

Edit: yea cant seem to get it to work right, I capture JP Text, comes out as a buncha numbers, letters and variables. 

Edit: Fixed it. 

Edit: Sadly the translation is so bad that you cant really even try to make sense of  it. Ah well. 

Edited by Alexandrious

OH MY F***ING GOD. I was just thinking about a program like this LAST NIGHT, wishing one existed for use with DQX.

• Upvote 1

Well, the OCR seems to be a bit shakey there.

生きとして生きる者すべては皆神の子。

I am also not a big fan of Google Translate to begin with.

The readme links to a existing software that gives dictionary definitions of the words if you want to give that a try.

http://jglossator.sourceforge.net/

Well my original thought was a program that could overlay the DQX screen and "replace" the japanese text with english based on the screen (at least for menus at least to make that part easier to deal) with rather than hacking the installed files. But again I would have no idea how to program that :) Big ideas without the means to do it

I don't know much about all this technical stuff but I know sex jokes, and there's a sex/church joke in there somewhere. I don't know the hows or whens, but I'll crack this nut.

I think a good way to start would be for a programmer to look through the source. This could be used to create a fan translation without the need to modify the game's code at all. My thoughts:

-Use this program's solution to catch text from the screen.

-Compare the text to a table/database that the translation team would create

-Get the matching localized text from the database

-display the translated text either over the game window, or in a separate window.

Things to consider:
-database may be extremely large, which is both an issue of space and lookup speed.

-DB would need to be continuously updated as the game is updated. (This would be true for any translation effort anyways though.)

-When the program is out of date, or somehow unknown text is found, a google translate (or other quick solution) could be used a temp. placeholder (the program would need to be able to handle this on it's own)

-I haven't tried it yet (I don't even have DQX on my computer right now) but alexandrious said that it doesn't work with fullscreen mode. This would hopefully be fixed (though not necessarily required to play).

-Text may look terrible overlaid onto the game screen. A possible solution: duplicate the game image in a separate window (or separate monitor for full-screen) and overlay the text there. Also, put the text on a solid background color so as to not jumble it up with the japanese text behind it. Obviously this would not be needed if the text wasn't overlaid (which should be an option either way in case this causes performance issues.)

-I don't know how it'd handle player names.

I don't have enough programming knowledge to actually take on this task, but I know enough theory to put out these ideas. Hopefully this is a viable solution and we have some translators and programmers that would be willing to try it.

Wow, that thing chewed up the text horribly.

There's a reason you got gibberish...and it isn't that Holy Father there has been sneaking a few extra sips of wine.

So here's what he says:

生ãã¨ã—生ã‘る者ã¯ã€€çš†ã€€ç¥žã®å­ã€‚

我ãŒæ•™ä¼šã«ã€€ã©ã‚“ãªã€€ã”用ã‹ãªï¼Ÿ

(Iki toshi ikeru mono wa mina kami no ko. Waga kyoukai ni donna goyou kana?)

All living things are children of God. What is your business at my/our (it can be both/either) church?

BUT...

Your program seems to have gnawed it up into something that is completely different from that. It's misreading the open quote 「 as part of a kanji, and it's misreading ã— for レ (the first is hiragana 'shi' and the second is katakana 're'). It's misreading å­ for an entirely different kanji, it's ignoring punctuation marks--which changes what the sentence might actually be saying--and it misreads ã‹ for ガ (hiragana 'ka' for katakana 'ga). So what the program "sees" is not even close to what's there...and thus you're getting garbage. 

I wouldn't use this one from a linguistic standpoint. I know nothing of the programming side, but this can only bring you pain if you try to communicate with it, I think.

That being said, any text hangs you up, shoot me a message. I'll see what I can do for you. :)

Edited by ButThouMust

I'm on vacation, with an android tablet, no keyboard, my bookmarks are like 750 miles away, and oh yeah, my neice has made me watch over 9 hours of My Little Pony today alone, but some names:

Translation aggregator

chiitrans

Weblio, specifically ejje.weblio or maybe trans.weblio

Agth

ITH

There are a lot of these utils for visual novel reading, some might work with DQX.

Edited by KiTA
  • Upvote 1

Well maybe not even translating all the dialogs, even if it just gave you the menus would be a huge help.

Wow, that thing chewed up the text horribly.

There's a reason you got gibberish...and it isn't that Holy Father there has been sneaking a few extra sips of wine.

So here's what he says:

生ãã¨ã—生ã‘る者ã¯ã€€çš†ã€€ç¥žã®å­ã€‚

我ãŒæ•™ä¼šã«ã€€ã©ã‚“ãªã€€ã”用ã‹ãªï¼Ÿ

(Iki toshite ikeru mono wa mina kami no ko. Waga kyoukai ni donna goyou kana?)

All living things are children of God. What is your business at my/our (it can be both/either) church?

BUT...

Your program seems to have gnawed it up into something that is completely different from that. It's misreading the open quote 「 as part of a kanji, and it's misreading ã— for レ (the first is hiragana 'shi' and the second is katakana 're'). It's misreading å­ for an entirely different kanji, it's ignoring punctuation marks--which changes what the sentence might actually be saying--and it misreads ã‹ for ガ (hiragana 'ka' for katakana 'ga). So what the program "sees" is not even close to what's there...and thus you're getting garbage. 

I wouldn't use this one from a linguistic standpoint. I know nothing of the programming side, but this can only bring you pain if you try to communicate with it, I think.

That being said, any text hangs you up, shoot me a message. I'll see what I can do for you. :)

That's the problem with all of these types of applications. They're set to read the font a certain way...and games almost always have a different font than the application would expect. When it tries to read it it's not seeing what it's expecting to see so it makes a guess (at least that's what I imagine, I haven't looked at the code myself). Because of that, these applications aren't really all that useful unless you make one that's specifically designed to deal with the DQX font. I'm not really sure how the application compares in the first place. If it uses a font file, to compare against, it would be possible to adjust the application to work with DQX, but that depends on if we can get the DQX font as well.

As for your idea Woodus: I'm not really sure you'd be able to directly replace the text in game (which is what I think you were thinking of), without it looking really stupid and out of place. The best solution would probably be to have the text auto exported into Google Translate (or a translation tool of choice), which would be pretty easy to do. I have quite literally no experience in AutoHotkey, though, so I wouldn't be the person for the job. I've never even heard of it before this thread, to be completely honest. Completely obscure language, if you ask me.

Honestly I think the best situation here would just be to have a menu translation, and maybe some of the more experienced of us in Japanese translations be around for on-demand translations provided people have put some effort into learning what it is first.

I'm not really that great at Japanese myself. I have Hiragana and Katakana down for the most part, but Kanji just completely destroys me, and with no Furigana in the game (unlike DQ7 3DS), I'm pretty much screwed whenever Kanji shows up, which sucks.

I would be willing to assist with menu translations. I can't promise to be an on-call translator, but I can promise to help whenever possible. Perhaps we should start a thread where people can post their screencaps for help? I will follow that thread and respond as I have the available time.

Perhaps, too, we can also get a translated PDF developed of the common menus and interfaces so people can print that out or keep it open while they play to assist them.

My JPN chops, if they interest anyone:

BA in Japanese from the University of Texas at Austin (2003). I lived in Japan for about a year as an undergrad, and my abilities are very likely around the JLPT level 2, though I've never tested for it. I'm stronger listening and reading than I am speaking, but that's more because I never did go back there to work after school. Immersion is great for fluency, and I'm rusty as a speaker, living as I do in Central Texas.

You know as technology progresses, I expect, as little as 10 years from now, their will be programs and tech sophisticated and powerful enough to translate everything and anything into any other language with near perfect grammar.  I knew that programs like this existed, and for what they can sync up to they do a decent job.  It will inevitably get to the point that if Japan or Korea doesnt have a immediate localization release of a game, it will be for two reasons, to save money, and programs like this, being 50x more powerful and useful, in existence.  

What I honestly expect a decade from now is universal scan translators much like these, but as I said, 50x more powerful, precise, useful and faster, instantly translating everything on screen and lets say, Japanese to english, anything Japanese pops up gets blacked and overlay-ed, with your settings and adjustments, into English, likely youll be using a smaller english font so their would be plenty of room. 

Thing is the more Japan and Korea keeps games from us, the more likely people are gonna keep creating programs like this, I fully expect an actual major company getting the idea eventually and create something like I just said.  Wont just be these Visual Novels eventually.  

Consoles would still get screwed over of course, PC master race and all that, but we will see how consoles are a decade from now.   

Heck, those universal translators you see in those sci-fi shows and movies, like Starwars, star trek and others?  It will eventually happen, quite simple really people are actually trying to make those right now. Its an ear piece that goes into your ear.  Two people of different languages wear them, one English, one guy speaking German.  German guy speaks, it comes thru the ear piece and into the ear with adjusting volumes, voice matching thru many different voice types to match closest to the speaker, depending on proximity and volume of the speaker, into translated actual english.  

Course this prototype tech is still a long way from being perfect and then distributed for consumer use.  But it is being worked on. 

I love technology. 

Edited by Alexandrious

I used an OCR initially, but it was so wildly inaccurate that I just quit. I'm slowly learning the Japanese, and it has proven so much better. That said, I still muddle through google translation of the wiki page to figure out my quests and story steps.

I would be willing to assist with menu translations. I can't promise to be an on-call translator, but I can promise to help whenever possible. Perhaps we should start a thread where people can post their screencaps for help? I will follow that thread and respond as I have the available time.

That's mostly what I meant by On-Demand translations. I don't expect anyone to be sitting around waiting for requests to answer, as we all have lives. But to have a thread where people can post screencaps and such would be very helpful to the community.

Woodus once mentioned a section for quest translations. The only issue is that the quest numbers occasionally change. That's why when I post my guides I usually get screenshots of everything.