Sign in to follow this  
Aeana

VPN no longer necessary?

As far as I know its still technically against the TOS to not be a Japan resident, so I wouldn't go around announcing yourself as a foreigner.  There are a number of us that have Japanese friends on there though that we play with and that know we are foreigners.

It's a judgment call really.  It's probably a good idea to avoid telling someone you're a foreigner whenever possible.  Nobody can expect you to never interact with the Japanese players, but try to keep your foreigner status low key.

• Upvote 1

I see, thanks.

And for the record, this has nothing to do with region locking with the non-pc platform versions, the Region Locking on the systems is still enforced, right?

We're not aware of any cases where someone has been banned specifically for being a foreigner, but why tempt fate?  Its something we've all been really careful about and we probably should not be going around announcing that we are breaking the TOS.

Region locks still exist

Oooh you meant that kinda locking, I thought maybe yanno, Japanese Wii/Wii-U's being used outside Japan being locked out.  ok then. 

Crap I had something important to say, maybe ill remember later. 

That a Japanese wii/wii-u your using or a modded up one? Systems would be region locked, even if you somehow manage to get the game digitally on a US/EU based non-modded system?

Edited by Alexandrious

wii hardware can use modded one, just firmware and permission to access japan eshop

wii u can not by now, must use Japanese Wii u only

wii hardware can use modded one, just firmware and permission to access japan eshop

wii u can not by now, must use Japanese Wii u only

Cant mod the Wii-U at all huh. Hm.  

Ah well, I prefer the PC version, allows me the use of my Sabertooth, best controller I ever held. 

How much is the monthly fee again?

Anyone else had luck with credit card?

Still giving me errors, such as:

- Servers being busy.

- Different reason that I could have typed the CC information wrongly.

- Cards issued outside of JP not being allowed. 

I haven't tried the credit card yet, though I was surprised to find my character still existed in the system from the beta run, I thought they were going to wipe the system after the beta was over.

Last night the servers were having problems.  If you had trouble with your card yesterday, try again today.  They seem to have the performance problems fixed now.

This is really quite interesting. I'll have to look into it now that lockouts appear to be lifted. Time to see if my lumbering and ancient PC can run the game. ;)

As to why they might have unblocked IPs outside Japan, I have a theory. It's unsubstantiated, of course, but for whatever it might be worth: it's possible Square Enix wants to determine how many players outside Japan are interested enough in DQX to be willing to negotiate its gameplay in Japanese--meaning in a language they are not likely to speak and read. They may be attempting to find out how many potential non-Japanese DQX players there are out there by extrapolating from that data, and they may be considering a localization from that perspective. I have no proof of that, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were a subtle "show us how very much you want it" move.

Also, I can't agree enough with folks who are stressing that anyone who plays on the Japanese servers mind their manners and be respectful. While it's generally considered gauche to mistreat someone simply because he or she is a foreigner, it is done and has been done. When I was in Japan, once or twice I was asked to leave a business simply because I was not Japanese. I had done nothing wrong; I had spoken to no one. I had simply entered a bookstore and begun to browse the wares, for instance, and I was told to leave because the store was "for Japanese only." Granted, that is rare, but there is no particular protection under Japanese law against that kind of discrimination.

Additionally, there are more subtle ways to discriminate that are more often deployed. One of these is to argue that a person is being disruptive or making a bad time for other people, and another might be that you have violated some rule (which you will be unlikely to read and therefore doublecheck). As others have said, the easiest way to avoid this problem is simply to be polite, to not go around trumpeting your "gaijin" status, and to generally stay out of trouble. If you don't rock the boat, it's likely nobody will care...but there is truth in the aphorism that "the nail that sticks up will be hammered down."

If it turns out I can play, and if I decide to do so, I'll let you know how it goes for me. :)

ButThoughMust, if you do decide to play, would you like to play together? It would be nice to have a chance to play with somebody else who is also just starting out, but knows the language.

Boy this thread has livened up this forum. I get email notifications about certain new posts and it's been going nonstop.

Erdrick, sure!  :)

What I need to figure out at the moment is whether my PC can run the game (I suspect it may not; it's old) and whether both my work schedule and my budget can take the hit right now. But if I do jump in, I will let you know for sure.

Well, we could start with the trial which goes up to level 20. I have no way of paying the sub fee at the moment, but I have high hopes of having a job soon (I just had an interview on Thursday and I think it went well) so I'll have money with which to pay the sub.

Yeah but you actually have to buy the client program to level past 20, right? Even during kids time?

Erdrick, sure!  :)

What I need to figure out at the moment is whether my PC can run the game (I suspect it may not; it's old) and whether both my work schedule and my budget can take the hit right now. But if I do jump in, I will let you know for sure.

The game has very low system reqs.  But unless your PC is more than 6 years old and when you bought it, it was a low end model, you should be able to play it.