Sign in to follow this  
Aeana

VPN no longer necessary?

I got a tip from someone today that they were able to log in without a VPN, so I tried it myself and I was also able to log in fine without one. Did they remove the IP lock, or did we just get lucky? I'd love to hear if this is the case for other people as well.

Hope that is some good sign

Hope that is some good sign

Aye, this is quite strange, they wouldn't remove the global IP lock unless their was a good reason, if this persists expect some announcement as to why eventually.  Mimas-chan, Ashes-chan, could you both keep an eye on this?

Edit add: I can confirm, I am now in the game using no VPN.  Had to make a password change first but yea.  

Edited by Alexandrious

yep worked for me too. 

Hopefully this sticks.  All-in-One comes out next week and I'd love to finally take the plunge.

Max settings with perfect 60FPS, I know the graphics is a bit old school but still, its perfect. Absolutely no network lag or DCs of any kind, they could host the US/EU Servers in Japan and no one could tell the difference. 

Edited by Alexandrious

I can't wait to get home and try this!  If the IP blocking really was removed with the latest update, that is INCREDIBLE news and removes the single biggest roadblock we have to new players getting in!

I can't wait to get home and try this!  If the IP blocking really was removed with the latest update, that is INCREDIBLE news and removes the single biggest roadblock we have to new players getting in!

But my biggest question is, why? Why did they remove it?  I hope they say something soon. 

Genuine worry here. What if it's a ruse to weed out non-JP players and we've got mass bans incoming?

My guess is that with the incoming 3ds release even more people will be playing as they travel. To relieve the constraint allows those customers the capability to enjoy while abroad. Speaking of, those of you that received physical boxes do any of you have this?

http://cache.hiroba.dqx.jp/dq_resource/img/playguide/imgds_1_04.jpg

I would love the code on there for my Japanese 3ds.

Would SE really risk doin something like that to piss off more fans?  The 3DS thing does make sense, iOS/Android platform for it isnt out yet is it?

Edited by Alexandrious

Would SE really risk doin something like that to piss off more fans?  The 3DS thing does make sense, iOS/Android platform for it isnt out yet is it?

The 3DS thing makes sense, definitely. But after PSO2gate...

PSO2gate? What is that and what happened?  And if it was cuz of the 3DS, why didnt they do it alot sooner for those who travel with netbooks or laptops?  It shouldnt take much to run the game, I still gotta do tests on it but if the game relies more on CPU and ram and little on the GPU, any netbook or business laptop with a generic gpu could run it, though most are coming out now with onboard Nvidia/AMD GPU chips, more than enough to play the game with no problems. 

Edited by Alexandrious

SEGA mass banned foreign players due to being DDOS'd for weeks on end by a foreign source, so maybe SE are worried as well. Just a thought, nothing more.

Oh that, yes I heard about that.  Unfortunate that is, really messed things up for alot of good legit players.  PSO2 is a fun game, wish Sega would get it to us. 

It is out for some tablets, but not extensively. 3DS is just much more portable, so I figure that more so than anything.

SEGA mass banned foreign players due to being DDOS'd for weeks on end by a foreign source, so maybe SE are worried as well. Just a thought, nothing more.

With the IP block in place, they had a way to prevent that sort of thing. Removing it just to provoke such an attack and then ban people does not make any sense.

Ah, this makes things easier! And looks like a good sign as well. I should get on soon, now that I am in summer break.

With the IP block in place, they had a way to prevent that sort of thing. Removing it just to provoke such an attack and then ban people does not make any sense.

Like I said, just a thought! I don't think it's the case, and that Ashes' thought is much more preferable.

Genuine worry here. What if it's a ruse to weed out non-JP players and we've got mass bans incoming?

For the most part, IP blocks only exist because they don't want issues between native players and foreign players, as there often is. As long as you don't cause issues, they couldn't care less about you.

So unless DQX has some massive foreigner problems where foreigners are horrible people and disrupting the play of the native players, then they will never do anything about you because it's too much effort. Even if you are, they'll ban you, not go out of their way to ban all foreigners using VPN's for the same reason, it's too much trouble.

PSO2 only has the IP Block that exists now because of the DDOS, which technically isn't even about foreigners, but the amount of foreign computers that were being used. To my knowledge, Sega didn't even really do much, but ISPs deadlocked routes to the PSO2 IP. This is supported by the fact that if you try to Ping pso2.jp, it doesn't even attempt to leave the country (The first DNS server you hit basically goes, "Nope"). It's hypothesized that the only reason people cannot connect now directly is because the IP is still blacklisted, and requires the ISP to update their tracking information, which could take years.

I played Monster Hunter Frontier for years, and was never banned. I participated in runs with local players during the entire time. They don't care about us, as long as we don't cause problems. Unless there's suddenly a massive infestation of foreign players that causes issues, there will never be a problem, and even if there was one, the most they'd do is put up the IP Block again. It's not worth their time to root out and ban every single foreign account when they can put up the shield that just blocks them all, and the majority of foreign players are just too lazy to hunt down a working VPN. Especially since the majority of time "issue" implies botting/cheating/otherwise hacking the game, which die hard fans who grab a VPN are typically not doing.

It's likely what Ashes said, and it's for the 3DS version, or possibly a localization phase of some sort.

Edited by Polantaris

You all must Thanks to me

I just troll Director Rikky last month with this sentence "is Cloud streaming still need to block IP?"

This is so awesome to hear! I might have to pick it up sooner than I thought!