I'm currently playing it for the first time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Game is just so much fun for me. Something cool about DQIX over the others same as why I love III, kind of feels like your own personal world compared to the others, create your own characters, go at

I've just started again, Just finished up the Wight Knight's story in Stornaway and now I'm heading East (I think Coffinwell is next?). I'd forgotten how much I utterly love this game 

Just recently restarted, and am enjoying playing through again. Well, bought a second copy and started that one. Didn't want to lose all the maps I'd collected at Best Buy gatherings and PAXes

I'm still working on this game, I go through waves of activity and down-time. Right now I'm in the post-game working towards quests. I just finished my 100th quest... (I'm looking at the Selfless Soul Accolade right now actually).

I wish I could land a critical hit on an Expload :-(

I'm still working on this game, I go through waves of activity and down-time. Right now I'm in the post-game working towards quests. I just finished my 100th quest... (I'm looking at the Selfless Soul Accolade right now actually).

How long is the post-game?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

How long is the post-game?

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Super Mega Ultra Long.

That's kinda not cool. I need to work full-time. DQ is supposed to acknowledge that adapt to my schedule. Just another reason to hate Square Enix.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

You can look at it this way.  The post game is endless.  Literally.  There are people with well in excess of 5,000 hours.  However, the main game is designed to be handled however you want to, and it's even possible, with judicious skill point distribution, to still skill point farm, and complete the game in about 16~20 hours, or just rush through it and play the core game in under 12 (shortest record I believe is still 7 hours 38 minutes, and that's solo).

There are accolades for various degrees of speed running.

Heck, even the post game, depending WHAT you want to accomplish, can be anywhere from 20 hours to infinity.  It's quite doable, if you have access to all the quests, to complete all post-game quests in about 20 hours, and get a little grotto running going for a few trinkets to boost potential (30~50 to assure you actually get some decent grottoes and at least one item, but hey, luck can be on your side, and it's possible to get 1 or 2 Metal Slime gear pieces and complete all post-game quests in 20).

Most people take about 50 hours for the post game quests, or in a few unlucky cases, or just leisurely cruises, 100+ hours.

The legacy bosses, if you have access to all of them, can all be done, at least at level 1, in less than 3 hours with a reasonably well prepared party.  It only takes about 30 hours to farm 4 characters to level 50~60 in Bowhole in every class, and with those points, advance all class skill sets, all in shields, then selectively pick your favourite weapons for each character based on your preferred class, then level that class to 80ish.  I know this from speed running several games, and testing this.  It's quite doable.

So essentially, you could spend about 20 hours on average in the main game, another 70 in the post game, and feel like you've accomplished something.  If you want to continue onward, just think of it like pokemon.  You've always something else to come back to.  TWEWY is the same way.  Just set a new goal every month or so, get it down when you can, and slowly tweak that one game to perfection, however you choose to define it.

I hope that helps give a more positive outlook on the way DQ9's post-game is handled.

Unfortunately, I do not function in that manner. If I beat this game in 20 hours, I would be quite disappointed. I talk to EVERY NPC and I explore EVERYthing in RPGs.

But I probably won't spend much time on the post game.

And just so you know, I wasn't criticizing g the game for being long. That remark was mostly tongue in cheek. I am troubled about it, though.

The fact that there are seemingly endless grottos makes it difficult to calculate time-wise how long the end game is.  But technically speaking grottos aren't necessarily post-game content.  The post-game content is really the DLC-unlocked quests.  But consider what the game has to offer besides the main story: multiplayer, DLC-unlocked quests, legacy bosses and the grotto system.  That's why game time can extend into the thousands of hours.

You could play through the DLC quests and be perfectly content to call it a day.  If you want to experience multiplayer (which is really fun, btw) then it may require organizing a group or visiting a place like Denver or NYC, or some city where there is a higher concentration of DQ fans.

The game is still very enjoyable 5 years after its release.

• 3 months later...

Well, I started this one in 2010 and played until after you fight Greygnarl, but then I went to hiatus due to other games and RL stuff.

Big Mistake. After all those years, I turned it on a few days ago and after reaching the Gittish Empire, Iearned that Nintendo shut down the Wi-fi connection service and with this, it goes DQVC.

Also, I forgot how much emphasis was put in multiplayer and sharing in this tilte, damn.

But I want those extra quests. I suppose I have to extract my save file and do something about it, since I don't have Action Replay.

Edited by Dancingmad

If extracting your save file is an option for you, then you can certainly go that route.  Another way is to use Liamland's mail and tag service.  He can open up all the quests for you, give you a special map or two, and get you the tags you need to expand your inn.  I believe he can also populate your DQVC store with some goodies so you always have the same nice options when you visit Sellma.

• Upvote 1

Thanks King Zenith.   :thumbsup:

If extracting your save file is an option for you, then you can certainly go that route.  Another way is to use Liamland's mail and tag service.  He can open up all the quests for you, give you a special map or two, and get you the tags you need to expand your inn.  I believe he can also populate your DQVC store with some goodies so you always have the same nice options when you visit Sellma.

Oh, Thanks for the suggestion!  :)

Dang! I wish I had known that last summer when I did a 2nd playthrough of the game with my sister and a friend a few months ago. My sister and I had all the extra quests and whatnot, but then we both reset our games at the same time, not knowing that we had to tag each other to keep them. We ended up having to use my action replay which screwed up our saves. Certain npcs on my game had their text replaced with error messages, and my sister's quest for Twocus Pocus was impossible to complete.

Bottom line: Action Replay is not recommended. 

Edited by SlimeVagrant

It seems to be a staple of the DQIX GameFAQs forums, but it's something I've always recommended against, unless you're absolutely sure your AR codes are clean.  There are way too many posts out there from people who have screwed up their save files with unwanted side effects from AR codes.  I prefer the NDS Adaptor/Save Editor method.  That way, if you make a mistake there's always a way to fix it.

Edited by Liamland

Yeah I considered getting one of those, but I didn't really want to spend money on one when I already had an action replay. I had never had problems with Action Replay messing up the saves on any game before that one (unless I was actually trying to break it) so I didn't really know the risks. But hey, you live and you learn.

Edited by SlimeVagrant
  • 4 weeks later...

Its the only DS game I really play anymore. I recently saw that Nintendo Wi-Fi for DsI/Wii had been retired on the site. There are other ways to get the DLC aren't there? I loved the character creation aspect of it. I'm just grinding Metal Slimes to fill out all of the Attribute sections for my Uber sage with a spear.

Also, does anyone still create the character rips of the 3-d models that were used in the DQ9 fashion contest way back? I found some more parts and I was wondering if I could request another set for my characters.

-Pb

Edited by Plumbum

Hey Plumbum,

Best way to get the DLC now is through an NDSAdaptor or by using Liamland's mail and tag service.  Link.

I still do the character rips for anyone who is interested.  Here is the info I need:

Body Type: 1 - 5 --> 1 tallest, 5 shortest
Hair Style: 1 - 10
Hair Color: 1 - 10
Face: 1 - 10
Skin Color: 1 - 8
Eye Color: 1 - 8

Weapon:
Shield:
Head:
Torso:
Wrist:
Legs:
Feet:

Example:

Body Type: 1
Hair Style: 7
Hair Color: 7
Face: 2
Skin Color: 1
Eye Color: 6

Weapon: Uber falcon blade
Shield: White knight's shield
Head: Skull cap
Torso: Mirror armour
Wrist: Battler's bracers
Legs: Gigasteel kneecaps
Feet: Dragon warrior boots

Mike-6.png

Here are the sprite design panels:

01GenderPanel.png

02MaleBodyTypePanel.png02FemaleBodyTypePanel.png

03MaleHairStylePanel.png03FemaleHairStylePanel.png

04HairColorPanel.png

05MaleFacePanel.png05FemaleFacePanel.png

06SkinColorPanel.png

07EyeColorPanel.png

Thanks for the info King Zenith.

Here's the character info as posted:

Hair Style: 6
Hair Color: 1
Face: 3

Skin Color: 6
Eye Color: 1

Weapon:Poker
Shield:Goddess Shield
Head:Halo
Torso:Angel's Robe
Wrist:Guru's Gloves
Legs:Tantric Trousers
Feet:Sensible Sandals

Thanks again as always.

I've been pulling my game out lately to do a lot of the extra quests, but then I get lost while trying to do them...

Some of them require me to do some high level grotto stuff (for me) and I need to fix up some of my party's class stuff.

Sorry about the double post, but I did have some extra ones I thought I'd like to try, if you don't mind.

Hair Style: 6
Hair Color: 1
Face: 3

Skin Color: 6
Eye Color: 1

Weapon:Sadistick
Shield:Goddess Shield
Head:Halo
Torso:Holy Mail
Wrist:Light Gauntlets
Legs:Chainmail Socks
Feet:Saintly Sollerets

Same Body Type

Weapon:Poker

Shield: Goddess Shield

Head: Hallowed Helm

Torso: Victorious Armor

Wrist: Matador's Gloves

Pants: Invincible Trousers 

Feet: Hero's Boots

--

Hair Style: 5
Hair Color: 10
Face: 4

Skin Color: 1
Eye Color: 3

Weapon:Bad Axe                                
Shield:Brain Drainer
Head:Spring Breeze Hat
Torso:Cape of Good Karma
Wrist:Guru's Gloves
Legs:Tantric Trousers
Feet:Sensible Sandals

Body Type same as the last one

weapon: Bad Axe

Shield: Brain Drainer

Head:Hallowed Helm

Torso:Victorious Armor

Gloves:Matador's Gloves

Legs:Invincible Trousers

Feet: Hero's Boots

--

Body Type:1

Hair Style:9

Hair Color:9

Face:4

Skin Color:8

Eye Color:6

Weapon: Headman's Axe

Shield: Dark Shield

Head: Scholar's Circlet

Body:Holy Mail

Gloves: Light Gauntlets

Legs: Chainmail Socks

Feet:Saintly Sollerets

I'll stop there for now. Thank you so much for all of this. Totally awesome.

Edited by Plumbum