Anyone Still Play DQIX?

Raymx3

I'm thinking about replaying it after I finish DQVI. I loved it the first time I played, and I basically 100% the game with about 200hrs of play time. 

My only concern is the lack of friends and people around to exchange maps and tag with, as that's basically the entire postgame.

I still play from time to time, although I miss the DQVC the most. The whole "get a new set of items every day" thing really got me hooked. Oh well, maybe someday someone will figure out how to bring back the DQVC.

I've been thinking about this a lot, and I think it's more likely than server support that the game will get remade at some point in the future, without the need for a server update to unlock DLC.  Since most of the content is already accessible in the cartridge and just needs the server update to be unlocked, they would just need to tie up some loose ends left by the server connection.  For one, they could easily build in a rotating list of items into a DQVC.  DLC Quests would just be built in automatically.  Special guests, well, maybe those could be on a time release so you get one a week until you have all of them.  What would make it difficult is the character tagging and sharing.  I'm not sure how that would translate into a mobile port, and how you would be able to share maps from one mobile device to another.  Perhaps you wouldn't, or they would have to reconfigure the game app to ping nearby devices with the same game.  Either way, that's a noticeable problem the developers would have to work around if they were going to remake it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm close to starting DQIX again... I was just wondering about what exactly I'm going to miss, gameplay-wise, now that DS wi-fi is down. Keep in mind, I don't have many friends who play this game, so I won't be getting many grottos. I originally completed this game about a month after it originally came out in the US, so I have forgotten much of it (which is partly why I'm replaying it now).

I want to be able to unlock all the special costumes (Hero costumes, character costumes, etc), will I be able to do that completely offline? Will I be able to get new grottos offline? Am I going to miss out on any important items only playing offline? Etc.

So I'm close to starting DQIX again... I was just wondering about what exactly I'm going to miss, gameplay-wise, now that DS wi-fi is down. Keep in mind, I don't have many friends who play this game, so I won't be getting many grottos. I originally completed this game about a month after it originally came out in the US, so I have forgotten much of it (which is partly why I'm replaying it now).

I want to be able to unlock all the special costumes (Hero costumes, character costumes, etc), will I be able to do that completely offline? Will I be able to get new grottos offline? Am I going to miss out on any important items only playing offline? Etc.

Since I've been going strong for the past week on DQIX, maybe I know some of this.

No wi-fi SUCKS.  There's tons of good weeks with good alchemy materials that are almost impossible to find without the grind.  You won't be able to get all the costumes, no.  New grottos? Of course.  There's 3 quests that I think get you grottos.  Of course, then every time you clear a grotto, you get a new map, so literally you have an infiinite supply of grottos available to you offline.  I finally found a nice one with MKS on the 9th floor pretty regularly so went up 10 levels in an hour last night while trying to train a new Gladiator.

Depending on if you're going to 100% completion or not, the answer to missing out is different.  I've put in 150 hours and never done anything but get costumes and shop online.  That doesn't affect gameplay at all.  There's over 100 quests that you can do without downloading any new ones too.

Extra Quests transfer if you connect to someone who has them in multiplayer.

What you miss out on without a DLC-server ping to unlock the hidden content are:

1. Special Guests at the Stornway Inn, via the elevator - There's at least one quest that requires access to one of the Special Guests--for cosplay equipment--and to collect all of the equipment it requires a fully upgraded inn (canvass 30 unique guests).

2. DQVC updates, featuring an exclusive weapon, exclusive armor, items and an accessory: http://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq9ds/dqvc_exclusive.php- There is at least one quest that requires access to the exclusive item: Christmas Cake.  Luckily for this item, it is non-rare and sharable.  So if you know someone else who has one, they can transfer it to you in multiplayer.

If you want 100% completion you would have to have an NDS Adaptor (and the right computer specs for it) with the DQIX save editor to unlock everything, or risk potential side effects to your save file by using an Action Replay device.  I offer a mail-and-tag service, priced for cost of labor, which uses the NDS Adaptor method.  I've included the details below, if you're interested:

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29560

...or if you happen to be in NYC at some point, and can meet up, I typically offer the service for free.

Edited by Liamland

I was afraid of this. I don't understand why SE designed the game in such a way that makes it incomplete without wi-fi access. Did they think that the DS Wi-Fi server would always be available? I guess that's besides the point.

Do you know what special (cosplay) costumes I would be missing? I know Angelo gives his outfit (because I remember doing that when the game came out), but I know most Hero costumes come from post-game grotto bosses. Is that right?

You know, I might be incorrect in what I said before. I think you can get most of the outfits from grotto bosses, yes.

You planning on going for that high of a % run?

You know, I might be incorrect in what I said before. I think you can get most of the outfits from grotto bosses, yes.

You planning on going for that high of a % run?

I usually do with most games. I came close to 100% last time I played IX, but erased my save when starting over with a friend (don't ask me why). Now I have to start over. 

Hey plattym3, I think you meant legacy bosses.  I listed out the drop details for legacies here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/59571945?page=15

wintermute, scroll halfway down the post from the above URL.  A few years ago I did some data compilation from Zaraf's bestiary guide (whoops, almost wrote "bestiality guide!") and I organized all of the drop information for the legacy bosses.  I parsed out repeat information and listed the easiest or lowest level that a legacy boss will drop a given piece of armor.  You may notice that all of the armor is from the Main Character legacy heroes, but not the support heroes, aka Special Guests.

What you need for the quests, like Borya's equipment, can only be achieved through purchases at the now defunct DQVC, or unlocking the Special Guests at the Stornway Inn (both of which are no longer supported by SquareEnix or Nintendo.)  Other than that, the Special Guest equipment is only necessary if you want to 100% the Wardrobe stat in the battle records.  Wardrobe is probably the most difficult feat to accomplish because unlike the Alchemy stat (which just requires 100% of recipes, each alchemized at least once), Wardrobe requires you to have completed all Alchemiracles (low percent chance when using rare, and difficult to farm, alchemy material combined with the strongest, and rarest weapons and armor in the game.)  It's very difficult to accomplish, natively, in the game.  I was only able to do it with chest timing in grottos for the rare weapons/armor and shop-raiding a second cart from the New Years Sale, for half-priced Agate of Evolution ingredients.

The game also makes you save before you take a chance on an alchemiracle, so you can't easily reset if you don't get it.  Supposedly you can use the Hoimi table to manipulate it, but I never had much luck with using the table for that.

Just booted up Dragon Quest IX last night, made a character, and did the prologue. My hero is based on Terry, looks like him and has the same name. In my head, this is the real Terry. I'm focusing on his Sword skill for now, and will probably branch off into Warrior when the option becomes available.

I am now a fallen angel about to rescue Patty from The Hexagon. I forgot how neat this game is, but I suppose that's a silly statement because it is Dragon Quest after all. The main thing that I'm going to miss from previous installments is the "Talk" feature, as I got used to doing that in Dragon Quest VI. I've heard people criticize the mixture of 3D models and 2D-sprites before, but I find it charming this time around. The game looks amazing for a DS title, and it's probably one of the best looking games for the handheld.
  • Upvote 1

So, I am feeling dirty. I have an Action Replay and I want the Special costumes and VC items... I've found an AR code that puts all of the VC items in the Stornway Weapon Shop, but I can't find anything that gives me the special guest costumes. Anyone know an easy way to do this without a save editor?

• Upvote 1

Don't feel dirty. Feel cheated. And then feel great that you got around it.

Hopefully I can get around it without causing damage to my save file. I hardly ever use my AR.

• 1 month later...

Oh the time!~  I recently restarted my file on my 3rd cart.  DQIX is my favourite DS game, and I've beaten it a bunch of times, but never really tried to earn all the accolades or do anything beyond fighting the legacy bosses.  I actually really love just going through the main story, but one day I'd like to finish all the ingame quests and the DLC quests.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hot damn, it's been like.. 5 months already?  I was already grinding levels by the time I even made a post here.

Been grotto hunting for awhile and finally came across one that's actually kind of badass.

Too bad I didn't get it few years ago when people still did map swaps..

http://yabd.org/apps/dq9/grottodetails.php?map=C92F6E

Easy to find on the map (the fork in the road north of the bridge east of Bloomingdale)

3 rank B chests, 3 A, 5 S

MKS in floors 5-8

Slionheart below that (if you need one for that healslime quest)

Floor 13 has no enemies

Then the second or third map I got out of that one is this:

http://yabd.org/apps/dq9/grottodetails.php?map=C95695

Gemslimes in 5-8

PKJ in 13-16

5 rank B, 5 A, 3 S

Granted, I didn't have a +7 revocated main character the first time..

• Upvote 1

Folks are still available for map swaps if you're in specific areas.  It tends to be easier in cities, where there are more centralized populations.  nfrazee28 from the DQIX Gamefaqs forums lives near Denver.  We've got about 4+ guys in NYC who have access to a large group of the popular special maps.  plattym3 is in Florida.  If you're able to organize meet-ups ahead of time before any conventions or plan a DQIX-multiplayer gathering that's another way to gather like-minded DQ fans that might be in your area.

Folks are still available for map swaps if you're in specific areas. It tends to be easier in cities, where there are more centralized populations. nfrazee28 from the DQIX Gamefaqs forums lives near Denver. We've got about 4+ guys in NYC who have access to a large group of the popular special maps. plattym3 is in Florida. If you're able to organize meet-ups ahead of time before any conventions or plan a DQIX-multiplayer gathering that's another way to gather like-minded DQ fans that might be in your area.

Orlando area, but head to Tampa often.

I'm in Aguascalientes, Mexico. I think there's little chance of anyone coming here, but since I am currently leveling up in one of my IX cards, I would like to swap (not that I have any good maps yet, since I only got a +2 class.

Southern NH here. There *is* a Boston area DQ9 fan group on FB, so that would probably be the best resource in my area.

The last great map swap (and inn upgrade) I had was PAX I think 3 or 4 years ago. I did get my most useful map ever at a Best Buy though - Bronze Crypt of Hurt, forget the level. Just west of Stornway, MKS only on floor 9.

Ah, that's too bad.  I was just in Boston.  ...though I doubt my gf would have liked staying a few extra hours while I partook in some DQIX multiplayer.

Do you have a link to that Boston DQIX FB group?  I haven't been able to find it.

Edited by Liamland
  • Upvote 1

Nice, looks like redneckpride is part of that group.