Sign in to follow this  
Raymx3

Anyone Still Play DQIX?

I recently restarted DQ9 and fell in love with it all over again. I want to play online with people and trade maps, etc etc. I now have sacrificed the rest of my summer to this game so I'm playing every chance I get (4-6 Hrs/day). I'm still in the story but that should be completed sooner than later! Lemme know if you wanna trade FC's and we can get gaming my friends! :laugh:

DS Wi-fi is down since May.

Your best bet now will to find someone right by you to play with via wireless tag (I believe that is still up)

Edited by Democrobot

Dang. I didn't know that the wifi kill effect the multiplayer. Well.... poop.

If a mod wants to close/delete this thread, go for it!

Thanks guys!

You could probably use this thread to help locate people in your area. We do have a lot of members spread out around the world, most of them in North America, mainly in the USA.

Edited by Democrobot

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies

I've been seeing a slow-down in some of the forum posts on GameFAQs, but we do still have the active NYC Tag Mode Tuesday meet-up topic.  We've kept that going in Rockefeller Center for four years now.  In fact, some of the Nintendo World staff just remarked to RPG Wizard that they're impressed we still keep the meet-ups going almost every week.

Local multiplayer doesn't require a server, so it will not "go down" in the way that the DLC such as the DQVC is no longer available.

There are alternatives to accessing the DLC, but they would require you to own either an NDS Adaptor and the correct PC specs to get it to work, or the correct version of an Action Replay device (the latter of which is not recommended because of all the buggy codes out there.)

Beyond that, there is the Mail-and-Tag service that I've been offering:

http://www.woodus.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29560

There is no Multiplayer element in DQ9 that is "Nintendo Wifi" based.  It's not internet oriented.  ALL Multiplayer elements in DQ9 are local intranet, peer-to-peer wifi functionality, which cannot be turned off.  So you have to be face to face to play together (it's Wireless B, so with limited interference, upwards of 60ft from one another, but for a safe and consistent connection, within 20 ft is recommended).

I mean sure you could drop your DS/Lite/i/XL in a vat of water and either the unit or certain hardware parts get damaged, let's say the one related to Wifi connection both local and to an internet hub.  That would cull your ability to play with others.

You could drive nearby a power facility in the middle of a lightning storm, which can cause micro EMP shockwaves if any of the transformers are struck and you happen to be in range.  Of course this may kill your car's computer system, but it would also kill your DS, and thus erase any ability to play wifi with another person.

You could take a trip up to Alaska, and bear witness to the Aurora Borealis, and climb a mountain, then dig out your DS and start playing.  There's a chance of an electromagnetic energy surge, similar to an EMP, that could alter the state of your DS and thus effectively shutdown by overloading certain circuits.  Let's say, for the sake of argument, the only part that gets damaged is the one related to Wifi.  That would cull your ability to play multiplayer.

So baring owner foolishness that would destroy any electronics, or some act of God, or your game system simply breaks down and there are no more parts to find anywhere to replace, and no more DS models, and no 3DS models to find anywhere...you can play Multiplayer in DQ9.

Unless, of course, there is not a single soul kilometers around who has even heard of DQ and is willing and able to play with him.

There is that tragic fate Cesar...

Sigh, I can relate to that.

I'm currently playing it, it does feel a bit empty without other players but it's still great.

I actually found someone in my city who had a DQIX cartridge in a DS event years ago, he was on the endgame already but I didn't have the game with me at that time so we couldn't play. His character had cool gear though.

Edited by wiregu

I beat the game and haven't picked it up since.  I have been playing DQ VIII again due to all the let's plays I've been watching and the art work I've been doing.

I plan to replay it soon, already played 2x, but now I need to wait my brother finish his 1st playthrough, and I really want to keep everything I got in my good cartridge, so no play again on that one.

Game is just so much fun for me. Something cool about DQIX over the others same as why I love III, kind of feels like your own personal world compared to the others, create your own characters, go at things differently always different dungeon maps. Plus the multiplayer is still fun to this day :3  

• Upvote 1

I still do... Actually I just ordered my own copy several weeks ago, and I've been playing it a lot. One of the main features I like a lot more is the ability to make custom characters and customize the skills and weapon sets. Well, that, and I'm a sucker for good storylines and even better music.

I've been playing it ever since a couple of days ago and I'm having fun. I decided to give this game another run and make this second playthrough better than the first one.

I've just started again, Just finished up the Wight Knight's story in Stornaway and now I'm heading East (I think Coffinwell is next?). I'd forgotten how much I utterly love this game  :wd_coolslime:

• Upvote 1

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/67889564

If you happen to live in a city, somewhere where there is a large clustered population, you may be able to reach out and find other players, on various message boards, or meet-up sites.  The above NYC Dragon Quest IX Meet-up at Nintendo World in Rockefeller Center has been going on for the past 4 years, since the original launch event.  It's fan-run by myself and a handful of 4-5 regulars.  We just had a new member show up this week whose worked 3 blocks from Nintendo World for a few years and didn't know about the meet-up, so you never know who you'll find.

Tag Mode Multiplayer is still really fun.  This game doesn't get enough credit for its versitility.  When I see people vote it as one of their least favorites, comparing it to games that came out in the mid 80s, I have to wonder if they've ever fully taken advantage of the bonus content and multiplayer capabilities.

Tag Mode Multiplayer is still really fun.  This game doesn't get enough credit for its versitility.  When I see people vote it as one of their least favorites, comparing it to games that came out in the mid 80s, I have to wonder if they've ever fully taken advantage of the bonus content and multiplayer capabilities.

It's because they haven't experienced the true potential of the game. This game was more for Japan only than Dragon Quest X is IMO. The street pass feature, the co-op local player. The post end content. The game to me was the best Dragon Quest for me cause I had the pleasure of using many of the amazing features. If I didn't I could see why I would rank it low.

Just recently restarted, and am enjoying playing through again.

Well, bought a second copy and started that one.

Didn't want to lose all the maps I'd collected at Best Buy gatherings and PAXes :)

• Upvote 1

I've returned to the game's post-boss content after many years of hiatus.  I'm very happy with this particular DQ game, always have been.  I just got discouraged by the amount of grinding it was taking to stand a chance against my favorite legacy boss, Zoma.

• Upvote 1

Bought a new copy two days ago for £5 (roughly $7.50). Haven't gotten very far as of yet(currently in the Hexagon), but I'm liking it so far.

Being able to actually see your gear is a really nice touch and I'm sad that it was mostly absent in VIII.

Edited by Prince Rekku

Wow, I'd forgotten how streaky/ragey this game can be.

So there I was...

I tend to grind while I grind. 

Which is to say, I spent 40 minutes in a KMS grotto while on the elliptical this morning.  45 actually, including the 5 minute cooldown.

For whatever reason, luck was NOT on my side today.

For example, in one memorable fight, there were two KMS who entered battle.

I have four people in my party, three of whom have spears and were using Thunder Thrust.

Multiple turns in, not a single TT has landed, neither of the KMS would run, and my guys were rapidly losing health.

The fight finally ended after I don't even know how many turns when 3 out of the four party members were already dead and both KMS finally decided to run away.

After THAT, I had to cast Zing eight times in a row before the first of the dead guys were brought back..

All told, over the course of the 40 minutes I think I had maybe four TTs actually land on a KMS.

On the other hand, wanting to swear loudly at your DS but being around other people where such things are frowned upon, is pretty good for your cardio.

Still playing.

Picked up after I got my friend into the game years after I beat it.

Just revocated my MC and leveling up my others guys so I can go grotto hunting again.

I still play from time to time, although I miss the DQVC the most. The whole "get a new set of items every day" thing really got me hooked. Oh well, maybe someday someone will figure out how to bring back the DQVC.