DQ IV iOS/Android Announced for tha west siiiiiEEde!

Legend of Oasis was on the Saturn. :)

And Ghaleon... he is one of my favorite game villains. He has a -lot- of backstory.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Again...I'll have to repeat it because it seems this most integral point is being ignored: They ANNOUNCED this release.   That actually goes a long way consider that DQ8, which may have sold more th

Yeah, half the script for the game is a privilege. We should just be happy that we got the 1/2 that we did. Pay full price for half the script and be grateful.   For real though, I don't see how you

If we get VII on ios android before the 3DS remake then Square Enix will be losing me as a customer.

Posted Images

The book is not specific in how the poll was taken and pretty much takes Segas word for it. I finished Sword of Vermillion back in the day. Fairly recently, I have been trying to get into Phantasy Star but I have yet to beat a single game in the series.

Which Phantasy Star have you tried playing first, and why has it been difficult to finish them?  There is a cool patch for the rom version of Phantasy Star 2 that speeds things up a lot by increasing exp/meseta to a 4x rate (this was part of the Japanese only Phantasy Star Collection for the Sega Saturn and Playstation 2, using a bar that allowed raising the exp/meseta by 2, 3, and 4x...sadly the GBA version lacked this function, but then only the PS2 version has this function).

Wow, the Wikipedia article fails to mention it (only mentions the movement increase in PS3 and the Hiragana/katakana switch for all of them):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_Collection

Anyway, the Phantasy Star 2 "easy" mode, note this really doesn't make the game easy, it just speeds up the grind by a lot:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/924/

If you ever attempt 4 again, use this, as it is very easy to hit level 99:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/553/

If you're having trouble handling the look, feel, and flow of Phantasy Star 1, you could always get the iso for the Sega Ages 2500: Phantasy Star Generation 1, and this full translation patch:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1755/

It really expands the original, ties it more tightly with the other stories, fleshes out the characters far better, the lore, and the history of the various worlds.  There's a fan translation apparently in the works for the second Sega Ages Phantasy Star remake.  Sadly these remakes stop at PS2.  Like all things PS, SEGA is totally inconsistent.

This should help give you an idea of what to expect from the remake:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/segaages/segaages.htm

Edited by ignasia7

Well most recently but still a few months ago I was playing Phantasy Star 3. It is like my third attempt. I played somewhat far in Phantasy Star 4 a while ago. I have also played some of 2. If I remember right I was using the Sega Collection for Xbox 360 last time I was playing Phantasy Star 3. I am a pretty good Dragon Quest player having finished them all except V and X(I finished DQ 5 with cheats) but Phantasy Star has been quite the enigma for me. I like the art style and the atmosphere so I really want to get into it plus I heard good things about it.

Edited by Slimeknight

Phantasy Star 2, 3, 4, Beyond Oasis, Lightstalker, Sword of Vermillion, Light Crusader, Shining Force 1, 2, Shining in the Darkness by extension of the Sega CD, Lunar, Vay, Popful Mail, Lunar 2, and more.

The Genesis churned out some good ones, and didn't censor. Hell, Phantasy Star 4's second half is filled with religious themery. 

The genesis had this one...zelda like...RPG, it involved a boy, that I think, got transformed into something, and has the ability to transform into other things.  I wish I could remember what it was, I was a kid when I emulated and played it, I never got to finish it.  It also involved the boy trying to become some sorta knight or something.  

There's one romhack of 4 I recently finished, it's one of the recalibrations, and it was pretty fun.

I really should go back and play some Genesis RPGs some day.  It's hard to compete with the dream team though.

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy VI

Earthbound

Final Fantasy IV

Super Mario RPG

I would put those 5 against any 5 on another console...ever.  Really I'd put Dragon Quest V in that group as well, but since it never got a real translation to SNES it's hard to know what it could have been for a western release.

Back on topic, I'm glad to see Dragon Quest IV is hopefully coming over.  The only bad news is that not much work is required here other than porting it since they are using the translation from a few years back.  I have yet to see much level of effort at all in the past few years that's not good for future releases.

Edited by FlyingRagnar

If the game industry was the food industry, Square Enix is McDonalds: they give you the same thing but with an extra slice of cheese because it's just easier than making a new burger. Sure, you might get a Clubhouse burger/Bravely Default every now and then but it's just a bunch the same ingredients you've had on other burgers just smooshed together. Complaining solves nothing unfortunately. They're just too big to give a crap. And when you do, they pretend they're listening when really they could care less.

*couldn't care less

That's my grammar nazi moment of the day. Now you may carry on.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Upvote 1

I remember playing a Luna game on GBA and it was one of the more tepid game I played. THe Random Battles wee also pretty annoying. It had a medic girl who fought with claws. That's one of the main thing I remember.

Maybe I should give it more chance, though...

Shining Force II was a really fun game, though.

*couldn't care less

That's my grammar nazi moment of the day. Now you may carry on.

Aren't both accepted ? I prefer "couldn"t care less" myself, but thought both worked.
Granted, this isn't my mother tongue...

Well, supporting the serie is the only reason to ever buy DQIV (especially if they don't translate Party Chat).

Especially for me,  because I have no tablet, and my smartphone is absolutely not made for gaming

Technically people use both "could care less" and "couldn't care less" interchangeably, but from a logical standpoint only the latter is correct in this context.

(It's possible that "could care less" would be truthful, but if that's the case, there's not really a reason to say it.)

Regardless, I just felt a little trollish when I posted that. I don't really care.

Technically people use both "could care less" and "couldn't care less" interchangeably, but from a logical standpoint only the latter is correct in this context.

(It's possible that "could care less" would be truthful, but if that's the case, there's not really a reason to say it.)

Regardless, I just felt a little trollish when I posted that. I don't really care.

You could use the comments "that's the stupidest thing I've ever seen posted on the Internet" and "good point" interchangeably as well, but logically only one is correct. I'll let your figure out which.

"could" care less is my #1 biggest grammar pet peeve.

That is a good point Platty, but I could not care less, as the interchangeability of both phrases is always dependent on the individual and their perceptions of both an author, and the substance of that author's commentary, and thus your unnecessary misdirection can be ascribed as the stupidest thing ever posted on the internet!

Ha!  I strike!  *runs, looks back to see if the strike was critical*

C'mon post count, why aren't you rising?  *it raises by one*  CHEAAHH!  Oh, wait, only one point.  Damn Darn you!  Devilish dog, give up your post count exp!

In other news, and back to the topic of games that should see love but aren't, I came across Phantasy Star 4 solo videos.  All I can say is, "I want to play."

• Upvote 1

Wow! They actually added Party Chat for this release?  That's amazing.  Should just be a day or two before we see this in NA app stores.  Thanks for the heads up guys.

EDIT: Just noticed the spelling error you are referring to.  Dargon Quest IV.  Awesome...

Edited by King Zenith

Guess what's on the New Zealand itunes store? https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/dargon-quest-iv/id847381935

"Party Talk" is confirmed!

You beautiful man you, thanks for sharing that info.  This really makes my day.

What is the price point looking like?

People may complain about that, but damn I thoroughly enjoyed DQ4's accents.

"Over 40 hours of gameplay"

My finished save (chapter 6 and all) in the DS version is EXACTLY 40:00.

Shocked as hell at Party Chat.