Hi all,

Long time no see. Woodus if this isn't the proper forum to post this in feel free to move it :)

I have been dabbling in reproduction carts for a few months and just finished my first Super Nintendo Multicart. It contains Dragon Quest 5, Dragon Quest 1-2, Taloon's Great Adventure, and Glory Of Heracles 3. They are all translated into english and have new batteries. Glory of Heracles is oddball but it was compatible with the other 3 and was done by DQ Translations so I picked it :) I wanted to do DQ6 but unfortunately it can't be on the same cart as the others due to it being HIROM.

Anyhow, I've made 1 for myself but can make a few others (I have 5 other boards)  if anybody would be interested. Parts for this isn't cheap and it's time consuming to make these so I would have to charge $100 for each one though you're getting 4 games in one cart.

If you're interested please let me know. al I am unsure if I'll be able to acquire more of these boards in the future. Also if you're interested in other reproductions check out my etsy store at https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeepBeepTechnical

Thanks!

- Dustin

• Upvote 1

Hahah thanks, it's become quite the hobby of mine :)

Have you tried Infinite NES Lives boards? I haven't yet for SNES but I have for NES and they're great.

No I haven't.  I also haven't made any reproductions for the NES.  I have a reproduction of FFIII but someone else made it for me.  He used a specific version of SMB2 and what looks to be like rather complicated wiring.  I like boards like the devolution board that require no wires at all.

Aren't there major game-breaking bugs with DQ1&2's patch?

I'm interested, but can't afford to cough up the dough right now. Any way you could hold a board for me for a little while? I'm job searching right now, and if all goes well, I'll have a little bit of spending money soon. (I especeially want DQV...)

Would FFV work on the same board instead of Glory of Heracles? I'd like to play that. (I know there's a ps1 version - I have it - but it runs kinda slow because of loading.)

Aren't there major game-breaking bugs with DQ1&2's patch?

I'm interested, but can't afford to cough up the dough right now. Any way you could hold a board for me for a little while? I'm job searching right now, and if all goes well, I'll have a little bit of spending money soon. (I especeially want DQV...)

Would FFV work on the same board instead of Glory of Heracles? I'd like to play that. (I know there's a ps1 version - I have it - but it runs kinda slow because of loading.)

FFV is a HIROM so it probably won't work. It's actually one of the reproductions I did make and it is way faster than the PSX version. If you look around you might be able to get a reproduction cart around $40, maybe cheaper.

Dragon Quest 2 does have the major bug but I believe if you don't stay at the Inn in Beran you avoid it. I could be wrong though as I haven't tested this myself.

I don't foresee these selling quickly due to price so you're probably okay, just message me when you get the funds and I'll let you know.

Unfortunately FFV is HIROM. Most (if not all I think) Square games are HIROM.

Ah yes FF3 can be made with a specific version of SMB2. It looks like a complicated mod though and I haven't attempted it. With the Infinite Rom boards you just drop the eeprom in and solder, very nice. Sounds similar to callan's board but it looks like his doesn't include parts on the boards?

NES isn't too tough just have to find the correct donor carts which for most RPGs is a pain in the ass. Early games require little to no rewiring but later games MMC1 and MMC3 can be a bit of a headache to wire up but with practice it's not bad just a little time consuming.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd give this one last bump and add I have now added all the Dragon Quest Super Famicom translations as carts to my Etsy store for $40 a piece.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeepBeepTechnical

Hrm... Should I buy a DQV import for $39.95 at the local game shop and try to get a cart dumper to play with patch, or buy it pre-patched for $39.99? I think I'd be within my legal rights to buy it pre-patched as I'm not stealing a game any more than I would if I bought one of those 999-in-1 TV game sets (which is just loaded with hacked NES roms). Even though the developer sees no profit, I'm paying for a cartridge. (Developer wouldn't see profit if I bought the import used anyways.)

I was thinking about ordering the japanese carts for reproduction games I have on ebay then switching out the japanese board with my custom one.  I would be a little more authentic I suppose.  Does anyone know if a north american snes pcb will fit inside a Japanese casing?  I know the system or the cart has to be modded for it to fit inside a north american SNES.

Yep! PCB's are the same for both so they are interchangeable.

Those are some decent prices. I might buy one actually sometime..

I've always wanted to make my own though. Do you know of any tutorials..? Isn't the equipment expensive?

I actually got two Sports game carts a month ago to try making one.

I just purchased the multi-cart and I'm pretty excited about it.  I wanted to play through a translated version of Torneco, and I was also thinking about replaying DQV-SFC because I've never beaten the bonus dungeon on it.  I saw a few others on the list that look pretty good, too.  I wouldn't mind owning a cart for SD3 with the translation patch.

I've been into making them now for a few months and it's taken quite a bit of time for me to get the equipment and get it down as there's lots of pieces of information out there but it's hard to track down which is the best and most recent and also corrrect :)

I'd be happy to help, but before you into it you'll probably want to have some experience soldering. I had none myself but it took me awhile to get the hang of it, now it's no biggie. Just shoot me a message and I'll give you a shopping list haha :)

Not sure on the Torneko patch? I just know about the staying at the Inn in DQ2 that causes the prince to get sick.

I'll give it a shot and point out any bugs if I see them.

So there was never a hardware solution to the battery problem like a hard drive ad on to the SNES, huh?  I was just researching it, but I could only find references to the Game Doctor SF and other types of emulation hardware, but that's not what I'm looking to do.  I guess what I'm asking is if there is a way to bi-pass the need for a battery save, without using emulation?

Edited by Liamland

It might be possible to use an EEPROM for the save data instead of SRAM.  That would remove the battery requirement.  However, the PCB would have to be built to support that with additional logic in place since you couldn't just switch one out for the other.

Yeah I'm not sure it's possible without EEPROM. I know Genesis games use that, like Wily Wars (but has a hack to change it to SRAM). Luckily replacing batteries with battery holders and a new battery isn't too tough. It's a pain to wait on the parts from China though unless you want to spend a fortune at Radioshack.

DigiKey and Mouser have decent prices.  Shipping is really cheap with DigiKey too.  I would never buy anything from Radio Shack unless it's 75% off, at which point is the same price as other stores.

In addition to the Prince of Cannock in Beran bug, I encountered another quite upsetting bug that I haven't seen noted anywhere else.

After defeating Sidoh, if you stop at the temple in Rhone and talk to the sister there (by the stairs, not the priest that lets you save), her dialog repeats infinitely.

At the time, I didn't have a save-state and had to fight Hargon and Sidoh a few more times :(

That was the only time I played the SNES remakes; I always play the GBC version when I want to play DQ2. A lot less hassle :)

Edited by epg
  • 1 month later...

Hey Dustin, I noticed your Etsy store link is no longer live.  Was your store shut down or are you no longer offering Japanese game SFC/SNES multicarts?