Sign in to follow this  
Erdrick The Hero

DQM series VS Pokemon series - Popularity

The reason Pokémon did so well in America is because it became a brand name marketed to children. Every child knows who Spider-Man is without reading his comic book because they watch his shows or his movies or play with his action figures. And while the games were a big fad, as is the case with everything Japanese, the series didn't really take off until the anime. Naruto, Death Note, and Attack On Titan are the best examples of series' that really made it big after the anime premiered. Not every little kid could read Spider-Man comics or play Pokémon games but they could always watch them on TV. 

1. Although Dragon Quest V did "recruitable monsters" first, it wasn't released here in the USA, this giving people the impression that Pokemon came up with the concept of recruitable monsters. In reality, Shin Megami Tensei was the first...

Objection! SMT came out originally (in Japan, i mean) on October 30, 1992 . DQV was released on September 27, 1992. DQV was the first to have recruitable monsters (if we don't count Healie from IV)

While technically correct, Dojorkan was most likely referring not to Shin Megami Tensei but Digital Devil Monogatari: Megami Tensei for the Famicom, the predecessor (along with DDM:MT2) of the SMT series on the Super Famicom. So MegaTen still did it first.

Edited by 1upsuper

Also, may I add, the two series have very different audiences.  Pokemon is intended for children, hence simpler gameplay and "cuter" monsters (personally, I like DQ monster designs better, but eh), and DWM, as a spin-off game, has to rely on the main series' fans.  As you can see here, most Dragon Quest fans are guys in their late teens/20s (note most), so Square Enix targets them.  While Pokemon has older fans, too, the games are not intended for them (if they were, Genwunners might actually be taken seriously).  And a lot of these fans started playing Pokemon as children, and continue playing for the nostalgia value.  So, basically, the Pokemon Co. has an army of kids and once-kids, while we have a few loyal fans who can put up with awful puns and silly monster designs.  I don't think it really has anything to do with the quality of the games themselves, since kids aren't going to bother looking up game reviews.  They see a cool cover or a cute monster and go straight to Mom.

And even discussing age and what the target group is changes by country. There was an interview last week where some Squeenix dude was talking about how Rocket Slime was mainly played by 10 year-olds in Japan and 20 somethings here in the US.

Honestly, they're just completely different games.  While the "monster taming" concept is there in both series, the similarities end there.  I don't get why people are so set on comparing them.

• Upvote 1

Honestly, they're just completely different games.  While the "monster taming" concept is there in both series, the similarities end there.  I don't get why people are so set on comparing them.

We are set on comparing because we all know which is better, and it's fun to pick out all the ways in which it's better.

Yeah, well, that much is true.  :thumbsup:

I think another reason the pokemon are more famous than most DQ monsters is that they ham it up in the tournaments and events. They make you remember who Arceus and  Garintina are, and they actually end up being good to use. While with DQ monsters the only monster average people will remember is the slime, and the intended ultimate monster (Libranex) turns out to be crap

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

Honestly, I didn't feel qualified to have an opinion on this prior to getting several hours into Dragon Warrior Monsters on the Gameboy. Prior to that, I had only played Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker.

Having played both the classics, and the more modern versions of both series' I can honestly say I think Dragon Warrior Monsters is better. I think the Monsters franchise has deeper and more complex elements (breeding, etc.) while Pokemon is more based on the needs of young and/or more casual gamers. That is not to say that Pokémon can't be taken to the hardcore and mature level, but DWM is created for a more hardcore and niche audience, which is in-line with the rest of the Dragon Warrior/Dragon Quest series.

A huge fan of both franchises, I'm going to toss my vote in for Monsters as well. Pokemon's fun and always has been, but battles go by way too quickly, a great many of my favorite mons are useless or borderline useless in the late game (Or just have too many potential flaws to be worth using outside of casual toying), and save for Emerald and the Gen2 remakes, the game is essentially over once you beat it once. They're games I can play for a while, maybe replay a few times, and then forget about until the next generation rolls around. They always have been.

Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 I played and replayed and re-replayed from its release up until the present day. It was simple, but very very effective. Joker 1 I didn't play much of after beating because the Monster Arena was disappointing and lategame grinding was a pain. Also, I never could grow attached to any of the characters other than the Incarnus. Joker 2 was so much better in nearly every regard, and still had more replay value to me than most Pokemon games.

I got my 3DS specifically for Terry's Wonderland, and while I did pick up Alpha Sapphire I ended up putting it down halfway through when I remembered how bored I'd get with them after clearing the E4.

I'd hope that SquareEnix starts learning from the Pokemon series as far as advertising goes. They're not a small company, they can afford to spend some time advertising the DQ series worldwide (And actual advertising, not half-hearting it).

So for me, Pokemon's fun once or twice unless you have friends to play with or a second handheld and cartridge (Kind of like how Joker ended up for me).  Dragon Quest/W Monsters, is fun for ages on end, and every monster has the potential to be useful.

Edited by Rezca

I much prefer the DQM series as it feels like there's a lot more depth to how I want to setup my teams.