I decided to redo the Dragon Quest IX World Map to take advantage of recent improvements to my process.  I rescanned the whole map as viewed from the Starflight Express.  Some of the key improvements:

- Higher resolution, giving more detail at 100% zoom scale

- Proper aspect ratio maintained (the previous version was squished in the north-south direction, making it seem like the world was much wider than it was tall

- Colors are brighter

In any case, here is the new finished map (click on it and view as image to see full resolution):

DQ9_Starflight_Worldmap_v2.png

Just for fun, here are some comparison images to show the change in detail (and aspect ratio) from the old version to the new version:

Alltrades Abbey Region:

New Version:

Starflight_Alltrades_Area_New.png

Old Version:

Starflight_Alltrades_Area_Old.png

Magmaroo Region:

New Version:

Starflight_Magmaroo_New.png

Old Version:

Starflight_Magmaroo_Old.png

Angel Falls Region:

New Version:

Starflight_Angel_Falls_Area_New.png

Old Version:

Starflight_Angel_Falls_Area_Old.png

• Upvote 4

Good work KZ! Looks great! :thumbsup:

Sweet.  How did you get the Starflight Express out of the images?  Cropping or air-brushing?

Wow great work, amazing how you keep improving this process :thumbsup:

Thanks guys!

Sweet.  How did you get the Starflight Express out of the images?  Cropping or air-brushing?

Cropping.  This map is composed from thousands of screenshots (or more accurately, frames from a video file), and I only use the bottom 3 lines from each screenshot so that perspective is maintained while composing a vertical strip.  Since each screenshot is essentially cropped to those bottom three lines, the Starflight Express never comes into the picture.  The shadow comes close though.  Wish I could turn off the cloud layer.  There's a couple of pretty heavy cloud belts in this map.

• Upvote 2

Good job!

Seeing the map like that, and with those colors, it reminds me of Super Mario maps.

Also, it is sad to see how small it is, compared to other DQ maps...

Thanks! Yeah it really is tiny compared to a huge world like DQ8, DQ7 or the two main worlds of DQ6.  I wonder if they were influenced at all by the grotto system in their decision to keep the world small.  A larger world might have made it more frustrating for people to find grottoes. 

That is amazing sir! Well done!! How long did it take you to do this?

Thanks.  It took about 4 hours.  With all the tools in place, I just had to kick things off and just babysit them to make sure they kept running.  Hardest part was lining up the strips and removing the seamlines.  Fortunately, the starflight covers a pretty wide ground swath, so it only took 15 strips to cover the whole map.  By comparison, in DQ8 it took 15 strips to just cover the island with the dark ruins on it...

• Upvote 2

You are awsome when it comes to redo maps KZ great work :)

Thanks! Yeah it really is tiny compared to a huge world like DQ8, DQ7 or the two main worlds of DQ6.  I wonder if they were influenced at all by the grotto system in their decision to keep the world small.  A larger world might have made it more frustrating for people to find grottoes.

That is a possibility. It could also be memory constraints.