game recommendations for Wii U and 3DS

Hey everybody!

I'm a little late to the game, but I finally decided to upgrade my DS and Wii to 3DS and Wii U. Any game recommendations?

I definitely want to get Link Between Worlds for the 3DS and Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U. (Hoping that DQX comes out for the Wii U but who knows?)

Super Smash Bros U? I'll be getting that as soon as possible.

Hyrule Warriors I'll be getting as well.

The SMT titles and Bravely Default are my favorite games to play on my 3DS. Of the titles already out for the Wii U, I liked Pikmin 3 (with the Mario Kart 8 offer, you should take advantage of that by downloading MK8 giving you a free game.. Downloading gives you a free $5 on each $60 game, so you could get $10 for the eShop). I also can't wait for most of the Wii U's upcoming titles such as Super Smash Bros. and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is pretty good, any of the SMT titles like Motodrafin said, Etrian Odyssey is a cool first person dungeon map making rpg game. I'm sure there is a demo of that on the eShop so check that one out! 

For Wii U, well your already getting MK8, The Wonderful 101 was a bit slow but still fairly fun for a new IP. Hyrule Warriors will be a great title if your into the Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors games. 

My big recommendation is Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U. You can spend easily over 200 hours playing that game. The starting bit of the game is a bit slow, big learning curve, but if you can get past those minor annoyances, you will find yourself playing an awesome, deep, addicting game. But it depends on you as well, some people love it, some hate it. There should be a demo on the eShop for that as well :)

Edited by Shoryia

Fire Emblem: Awakening. Fire Emblem: Awakening. Fire Emblem: Awakening. Fire Emblem: Awakening. Fire Emblem: Awakening.

Fire Emblem: Awakening. Fire Emblem: Awakening. Fire Emblem: Awakening. Fire Emblem: Awakening. Fire Emblem: Awakening.

• Upvote 1

Any Mario game is worthwhile. And any Zelda game too. I'll also recommend the new Super Smash Bros game for both systems and Pokemon X/Y for 3DS.

any of the SMT titles like Motodrafin said, Etrian Odyssey is a cool first person dungeon map making rpg game. I', sure the is a demo of that on the eShop so check that one out!

I third the SMT games. And second the Etrian Odyssey games. They've been my favorite "newer" series exclusive to the DS and 3DS. They use both screens well, not as an afterthought. It's integral to game play.

Etrian Odyssey looks very nice. I'd never heard of it before, but I like the old school layout.

They released a 3ds remake of the DS original one. I think it's called Millennium Girl or something similar. It updates the first game with stuff introduced in later games. May be a great place to start.

Get Fantasy Life when it comes out in the fall for 3DS, Its made by level 5.

Think a touch of DQ9 mixed with some Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing with the goofy but cute Art Style of Professor Layton.

The combat is not much different than what was originally intended for DQ9, (real time action RPG combat)

Edited by cybersavior

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for 3DS and Wii U for sure. You can transfer your save data between consoles so you can hunt on the go or at home on the big screen (and I have added surround sound ;) ). I currently have over 1000 hours with the game, and 700+ for the old Wii version if that counts for incentive. I still enjoy playing the game. Playing the game with friends locally is where I think the game really shines.

Other things for Wii U, I really like Injustice Gods Among us and Sonic Racing Transformed is also pretty cool. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge is also a great game, but be warned, it is very difficult.

Edited by Flute_Warrior

I've finally decided to trade my DSi for a 3DS. (When I get back from Hawaii - it would be nice to have one for the trip, but my local game shop was sold out until yesterday and I don't have time now.) I want to get Shantae and the Pirate's Curse when it comes out, as well as get Shantae GBC VC because it's $5 as opposed to the $200 physical cartridge. (The system plus VC game is cheaper than the original cart! - though someday I'd like to own an actual copy, I can do without for now.)

I'll probably also pick up SSB and alpha/omega ruby/sapphire. And Super Mario 3D land. And NSMB2 (that's 3DS right?) and if it exists, some kind of pass through to play Japanese games on an American 3DS so I can play DQ7. (Not a flashcart, unless I can also get the hardware to rip my own game rom legally.)

I'm open to game recommendations.

I know there are companies that sell 3DSs with capture cards, but does anybody know if somebody makes simple DIY kits, or if there is a trustworthy company who will do it by mail? (I know how to solder, but I've got shaky hands and bad vision, so I don't really trust myself to do it.) I don't want to spend the money for it right now, but in the future I may want to LP some 3DS and GB/C games.

I don't know if you know this about me, but I really like to recommend Fire Emblem Awakening to people who are getting a 3DS. So, you know, just throwing that out there.

I traded in my DS, Wii, and a bunch of accompanying games at Gamestop, and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get about $150 worth of credit. So I put that towards a refurbished Wii U bundle with three games (New Super Mario Bros U, ZombieU, and Mass Effect 3). Then from Amazon, I ordered a 3DS, Link Between Worlds, Mario Kart 8 (I'm going to get Wind Waker with the coupon), and Super Mario 3D World. Everything should arrive next week. Looks like my summer is set!

And based on the recommendations here, I later want to get SMT IV, Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey (IV?), and Monster Hunter III. Oh and possibly Super Smash Bros U!

• 2 weeks later...

And NSMB2 (that's 3DS right?) and if it exists, some kind of pass through to play Japanese games on an American 3DS so I can play DQ7. (Not a flashcart, unless I can also get the hardware to rip my own game rom legally.)

The only way to play DQ7 right at the moment is either with a Japanese 3DS or flash cart. A hack was found to unlock the region, but it is not considered safe to use.

I know there are companies that sell 3DSs with capture cards, but does anybody know if somebody makes simple DIY kits, or if there is a trustworthy company who will do it by mail? (I know how to solder, but I've got shaky hands and bad vision, so I don't really trust myself to do it.) I don't want to spend the money for it right now, but in the future I may want to LP some 3DS and GB/C games.

The only place that I know that sells the Capture cards that works for the 3DS, 3DS XL/LL, and 2DS is http://www.3dsvideocapture.com/. I did find the boards for sale though I don't know if that site is reputable or not.