Contest #113-Dragon Quest: The Movie

Lights! Camera! Dazzle! It's that time of year where the Harrywood blockbusters invade the Den. This time the star is YOU!(not really, but it sounds nice to hear) You have been tasked with assisting world famous director Steven Boinburg by putting your art degree to use and making a promotional poster for his upcoming Dragon Quest movie. Executive Producer Democrobot declares:

We all love a good movie. But how do we know if it is coming or not without a good ol' fashion promotional poster. Those who director Steven Boinburg deems worthy shall be hired and receive a pay of one badge for thy profile (puff-puff optional).

Objective:

Create a poster to promote an upcoming Dragon Quest movie. You may choose from any Dragon Quest/Warrior game that has been released up to today's date (July 12, 2014). Your poster must include the name of the movie (the subtitle for the game is good enough), at least one cast member (please choose a real actor/actress), a release date (anytime after September 1, 2014), one line of text (ex. Purple Dragons Have Never Been Scarier), and a graphic (this can be the character, villain, a monster, etc.) Voting will be judged upon the content of the poster rather than the level of skill the artist has shown.

Rules:

1)You may submit up to 2 posters (they do not have to be for the same game)

2)You must submit them to me via pm

3)You MAY work with a partner

4)You have until Sunday, July 27, 2014 @ 12:00 MST Tuesday, August 5, 2014 @12:00 to submit your entry

5)You may not submit work that somebody else has done (except your partner)

6)Be original!

Accepted submissions will be voted on by the Den community, so please do your best to keep your submissions anonymous. I will post all content to this thread as I receive it. The top three voted submissions will be crowned as our winners. If you have any questions about this contest, please post your question in this thread.

May the odds be ever on your favor!

Edited by Democrobot
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is there a reason why the voting is taking so long to be over?   Usually, I am happy with whoever wins, as long as the "battle" is interesting. But I am close to (I would say "past", but I can hold

You're a man after my own heart! I always give my students 2 votes in classroom elections or contests or stuff like that. I think it gives people the chance to vote for their gut instinct and also a c

An entry draws near:   The Adventure of Popolo    

Can you use Powerpoint or Google drive to make the poster?

And is a Movie Poster Maker allowed?

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

Can you use Powerpoint or Google drive to make the poster?

And is a Movie Poster Maker allowed?

As long as it meets the requirements, I don't care if you scribble it on a napkin. But it must be your own original concept and you must be able to send it to me.

If we can make it obvious which game the movie is based on, can we change the subtitle? I'm not a fan of the over-the-top alliteration. (Or the fact that Realms of Reverie was changed to Realms of Revelation at the last minute - ironically, I was fine with the alliteration in the original version of the title.) Plus, DQ4's western subtitle wouldn't necessarily make sense in a movie (I don't think the movie would work well broken up into individual chapters, action would probably be cut between characters/parties multiple times.)

If we can make it obvious which game the movie is based on, can we change the subtitle? I'm not a fan of the over-the-top alliteration. (Or the fact that Realms of Reverie was changed to Realms of Revelation at the last minute - ironically, I was fine with the alliteration in the original version of the title.) Plus, DQ4's western subtitle wouldn't necessarily make sense in a movie (I don't think the movie would work well broken up into individual chapters, action would probably be cut between characters/parties multiple times.)

You can change the subtitle as long as you can make it obvious enough to the folks here which game it is (that shouldn't be too hard to do on a Dragon Quest forum). Be sure to see the entry below.

First entry

Abel's Awakening

med_gallery_76075_71_90236.jpg

Just a side-note and does not 100% part of the contest. Do these choices seem okay for a DQ5 movie?

Prim.jpegBianca

Ch%C5%82opak_Dystrykt_9.jpg Hero

12th+Annual+Art+Directors+Guild+Awards+A  Pankraz

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

First entry

Abel's Awakening

Nice...though I don't know if Yoav and the other folks at IM could even top Sugiyama's work as it pertains to DQ. Although I could think of a few items from their library that'd work out nicely. Reluctant Warrior, Kingmaker, Mythos...okay, maybe they could pull off a great score   :wd_coolslime:

First entry

Abel's Awakening

Nice...though I don't know if Yoav and the other folks at IM could even top Sugiyama's work as it pertains to DQ. Although I could think of a few items from their library that'd work out nicely. Reluctant Warrior, Kingmaker, Mythos...okay, maybe they could pull off a great score   :wd_coolslime:

Darkness at the edge of power is something I would like for Gema in the final dungeon. Preliator will be for the second form of Mildrass

The limitations for released DQ games makes it impossible to make a movie poster for Dragon Quest: Souten no Soura, or something like that... I do not like it when limitations I do not deem necessary forbid to come up with weirder ideas... :(

Anyway, I doubt I could have done much with a deadline so tight...

But good luck, everyone. I will be keeping an eye on your works.

Yeah, I'm not back from vacation until the 26th, and have 1 day to prepare for my camp before I go back to work, so no one from me. I'll be back next contest though!

Next entry:

Dragon Quest: King of the Hill

0bb048.jpg

I have been asked whether or not a poster campaign would be allowed as one entry. (for those who are unfamiliar with this, think about the new X-Men movie and how they all got there own poster). I have no personal objection to this, since it would all be for the same movie. However, if too many of y'all think it is unfair or against the rules, then I will not allow it. Feel free to weigh in on this.

Well, nobody seems to be opposed to the idea. I'm giving it the green light.

An entry draws near:

The Adventure of Popolo

msg-91-0-21352900-1405653308.jpg

• Upvote 2

This sounds really fun.  I think I'll enter.

Instead of a poster, could people create a movie trailer? Or record an "interview" with the actors/characters?

Just some ideas, since those would also serve the same general function as a movie poster, which is to promote a film.

I'm going to say no to those ideas, simply because I can't watch videos to make sure they've met the criteria and I just don't think an "interview" is something I want (I'm trying to keep this as an art-based contest). I will make a note though that those ideas may come up in a future contest, just not this one.

Okay. I just mentioned them because the voting was required to be made based on content and not on skill, and I know of quite a few members who have wonderful ideas but have a hard time with graphics.

I guess the voting on content and not on the art bit threw me off.

Well, we all know people will vote using their own criteria, anyway. :D