Sign in to follow this  
gavman65

Dragon quest X translation

Hello everyone. I was playing with cranberry today and I was talking about translating things in DQX. Ive started with the quests. im using http://xn--10-yg4a1a3kyh.jp/ as my source and tranlsating it. Its going to take a while as I have a job to do as well and other things! I am going to work my way through from 1 onwards however if there is a quest that you want me to translate for you (btw I am not fluent so please forgive me any mistakes I make) please send me a message and I will translate the quest for you and then I will add it to the file I am making. If you want anything else translated please let me know. (such as the skills or things like that) 

James

• Upvote 2

That's pretty cool, thanks! Definitely helps make it easier for folk who are starting off with DQX.

I mentioned before I would be more than willing to help with translations, and especially now that I am taking a Japanese language class in college. I am already becoming good friends with a few Japanese international students, so I could even ask them for some translating help with Kanji or words I might not yet understand. Basically, if people start pitching in with translations, I would also like to provide whatever little support I can.

Edited by Flute_Warrior

Hey gavman65, thanks for offering your services! Hopefully some people will take you up on that.  It's always nice to have people who are able and willing to help out with translating stuff.

Maybe this could turn into a translated gamescript that American players could use as a reference sheet for what's going on, particularly in the cutscenes.

As you get them translated let me know I will create a quest list page like we did for DQ IX. Thanks for doing this :)

Hey, sorry ive been busy for a little while but im holiday from work now so I am going to get cracking on translating today!

I agree with mariosmenter. I would love a patch more, but a reference sheet detailing dialog and quest details would be just as nice.

Having important stuff explained in english would be a blessing. Cranberry's guide for offline saved my life lol.

a patch might be a bit crazy since it involves programming it and preventing the game from thinking that it's a "cheat"

In PSO2 they managed to get a lots of people who coded and tested the english patches, because there was not only the english community but also a huge community from Southeast Asia (who speak more english than japanese) helping out.

Edited by wiregu

Well, we seem to be a community of people with various traits who come together with shared intrests... an attempt could be made, if those who are able to are willing, though it may be pointless in the near future... still it sous be nice to try.

A translation patch, would be a serious undertaking, you will need a large enough team of people to do it.   That and you must create a way to apply the patch that wouldn't be confusing for people.  My advice?  Ask the guys who made the PSO2 tweaker for tips and any information on how to get started if your willing to do it.  A few things they will tell you is to create a new website for it, get someone to manage said website, open up a donation box, and find people, fans, who would like to commit to it, and has good experience with coding, scripting and so on.  A few people who can at least read Japanese fluently, would also be good.  Thankfully unlike PSO2 where alot of NPC script, tutorials, and such seems to get changed every few weeks, thus keeping them translated and up to date is impossible without a really large team, because they are too busy making sure the story and important stuff is always translated due to how very often new story gets let out *PSO2 gets more story content updates than DQX apparently* in DQX, stuff doesnt seem to get changed around from what I noticed, some new npcs come in now and then to towns, or for events, but unless NPCs and Quest dialogues get changed when new version updates is up,  a team of translators should have a much easier time than what the PSO2 translation team has to do. 

After the news from the RSS feeds I seen, im honestly losing more hope into seeing DQX ever being localized for here.  The most that will happen, is probably a crudely translated SEA localization, since that is cheap to do for companies, and yes it will very likely be IP blocked, but their are ways now to get around IP blocks without using a VPN.  Few ways to do it on PSO2 with its IP bans/blocks.  But otherwise, I wouldnt mind paying 10-12 a month for a VPN on top of 10 or so a month for DQX if I can just play it translated, even if its crude. 

Edited by Alexandrious

I'd be happy to translate stuff for the game. I've looked at the data files though and they seem to be compressed and unreadable. I've looked at the data in memory and the format it gets decompressed to seems pretty darn easy to work with, but I don't have the programming skills to deal with the actual files on disk. If someone stepped up for that part, I'd be happy to throw my hat in for translation.

• Upvote 1