Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

The Ranter - DQ on mobile devices.

Today, right now, you can buy DQ8, a fantastic 40+ hour JRPG, on your semi-recent smartphone or tablet.

Great, for DQ fans.

Sadly? Not too great for a lot of folk.

I laud DQ8 on mobile because it's an easier future. Lower costs, easier footprint, all of that. But DQ8?

It's touch controls are... iffy. Camera is wonky and the framerate is kinda off at points.

On the other hand, FF6, for example? Pretty good port, as the entire game seems good for touch. Same goes for -all- the Kemco games.

But does DQ need, NEED to have a mobile future?

Really? No. We need DQ on platforms elsewhere. When the US gets VC? DQ4, 5, 6, 9, and the crappy spinoffs should be on the upcoming DS VC. Future titles? Need to be on a viable console. (( WII U~ )).

So mobile? Bleh and yay. Bleh for bad SE support and no controller support, yay for the fact we get something.

• Upvote 1

Mobile is the future of on-the-go gaming in Japan. From what I understand, more people can be spotted playing on mobile phones in Japan than on a 3DS, DS, or Vita. I'm obviously against this because of terrible controls, limitation on how you can play and on the graphics, and the amount of space it takes up on your phone, but that's the way things are going in Japan. Square Enix obviously developed the mobile ports to adapt to these changes and we should be glad we're being considered at all.

I can't read Japanese. If I ever learn, only then will I consider importing.

Problem with importing besides costs? Nintendo-based systems are region-locked. You'd have to have a US and a JP Wii U to play whatever you want. :|

• Upvote 1

I hate those region locks... I am all for importing if people want, but without having to mod their consoles or buy the foreign ones...

It sucks all the more when the game is translated IN YOUR LANGUAGE and you can't play it. Like, all they have to do is publish it here. We got Xenoblade Chronicles, and The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower and all that good stuff but I also want to play Disaster: Day of Crisis. It's in English, voiced by American voice actors, and it's unavailable in America. And you can't play an import because it's region-locked. Get it together, Nintendo.

It sucks all the more when the game is translated IN YOUR LANGUAGE and you can't play it. Like, all they have to do is publish it here. We got Xenoblade Chronicles, and The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower and all that good stuff but I also want to play Disaster: Day of Crisis. It's in English, voiced by American voice actors, and it's unavailable in America. And you can't play an import because it's region-locked. Get it together, Nintendo.

And it's even worse for Europeans...

Especially for those leaving in UK.

On a similar note:  WTF is up with Final Fantasy Tactics for Android?  I mean, it's out in Japan on Android and it's out in NA for iOS, and has been for a long time.  Sometimes I feel like I get nothing but frustration from SE.

We should've had it by now, I would've tried FFT on Android.

A lot of developers are hesitant to make Android versions apparently because pirating games on Android is rampant enough to warrant not even bothering to make an Android port.

This is true in many cases, but I don't think piracy is the issue considering they've brought nearly every other game to Android.

Yeah, it's laziness. It's a simple coding port, but they have yet to do it. They have done it for just about -every single other- release, INCLUDING Crystal Defenders.

You have to go through some hoops to pirate SE junk, and then it doesn't work half the time.

*from experience*

DS Virtual Console? I did not hear of that. I doubt that would come soon. Nintendo can't even get N64 games to play on the Wii U. I was going to use Club Nintendo coins to buy Mario Party 2 since I love it, but then found out it can only be played in Wii mode so would probably have to pay something for Wii U version, and it's only playable on classic controller which I don't have. That was not well thought out by Nintendo, plus it's been over a year and they still haven't done it? So very unlikely we would see DS Virtual Console soon. Only good thing is that they could program game so quests are automatically unlocked since can no longer access server, although I'm not sure they would do that.

Yeah, it's out on JP Wii U, they currently have Brain Age 1.

DS Virtual Console? I did not hear of that. I doubt that would come soon. Nintendo can't even get N64 games to play on the Wii U. I was going to use Club Nintendo coins to buy Mario Party 2 since I love it, but then found out it can only be played in Wii mode so would probably have to pay something for Wii U version, and it's only playable on classic controller which I don't have.

You can play it with a GameCube controller as well.

Yeah, it's out on JP Wii U, they currently have Brain Age 1.

You guys don't? We've got it over here.

You have DS VC on the Wii U?

... depending on the titles released, I may end up buying a Wii U. (That way I'd also have a platform to play Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on, as the game has only been announced for 3DS and Wii U.)