Den members, I need your help!

Hello everyone, so with all my solo quests of DQ, and the length of time it's taking to get through DQ8 solo, and limiting my skills (no normal attacking!), I'm becoming a bit sick of Dragon Quest.

However, I'm not sure what to play instead, so I need some suggestions.  I don't care if it's action, or platformer, or shooter, or beat-em-up, or whatever the genre is, even if it's another RPG.

1) One or two possible SNES games.  I have the entire SNES (US only) library to pick from.

2) One or two possible NES games.  I have the entire NES (US only) library to pick from.

3) One or two possible Genesis games.  I have the entire Genesis (US only) library to pick from.

4) Any of the following games (A * before the number indicates I have not played this past the first 10min~1hour):

PSP

1) YS: The Oath in Felghana   <<-have a save in Nightmare difficulty before the Elderm Mountains

*2) Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

3) Star Ocean: Second Evolution  <<-have a save before floor 30 of the bonus dungeon, this will be to restart the game, suggest either Renna or Claude

NDS

1) Final Fantasy IV  <<-have a save at the start of Playthrough 2, so suggest either a fresh game or continue on with uber gear

2) Etrian Odyssey III: Heroes of Lagaard  <<-have a save on Strata 3

PSX

1) Chrono Cross

2) Final Fantasy IX

3) Breath of Fire IV  <<- have a save in Chapter 4

XBox360

*1) Fallout 3: GotY Edition

2) Blue Dragon  <<- have a save at the end before finishing up all the extra content, prepping for a NG+ Very Hard playthrough

3) Lost Odyssey  <<- have a save at the very beginning, but on a replay, so Kaim is level 50

4) Sacred 2  <<-diablo clone, but a really great game, I have multiple saves I'd pick from to continue onward with, likely my Sorceress so she can access really really really high level rings

5) Tales of Vesperia  <<-have a save about 1/4 through the game...forget where

6) Assassin's Creed

*7) Assassin's Creed II

8) Gears of War

*9) Halo: ODST

*10) Forza Motorsport III

11) Perfect Dark Zero

12) Perfect Dark (download)

13) Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (download)

14) Resident Evil 5

*15) Eternal Sonata

16) Final Fantasy XIII

*17) Enchanted Arms

Gamecube

1) Skies of Arcadia Legends  <<- have a save just before going through the Dark Rift

2) Phantasy Star Online  <<- I'd be playing one of my 4 characters, gathering uber gears and still getting 2 of them to Ultimate...just continued play into forever

3) Tales of Symphonia  <<- have a save just after getting to the second town in World 2

4) Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

5) Super Smash Bros Melee  <<- I still have some stuff to unlock...not much...OH right my save card with this save might be gone so I could be starting over

6) Soul Calibur II  <<- Quite a bit to unlock...I prefer Marvel vs. Capcom, and even Tekken mechanics to the VF style

*7) Viewtiful Joe

8) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door  <<- I'd have to start over it's been too long...save could be in one of my two missing cards

*9) Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance  <<- Not a huge FE fan, but I'd be willing to try if given a solid argument for it

10) Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean  <<- Have to restart, I recall nothing

11) SSX Tricky  <<-fun game, but so much yet to unlock, and I suck at sports games that aren't soccer/basketball

12) F-Zero GX  <<- What happens when they take great conventions from the original, then throw the baby out with bathwater that smelled like roses for a half-baked attempt to copy Wipeout

13) Star Wars: Rogue Squadron  <<- only about halfway through, though the save may be on one of the two missing cards

14) Ikaruga  <<-I've gotten up to the second to last boss once solo, beat it once with a friend...

15) Metroid Prime  <<- I have not beaten a single Metroid to save my life...same with this, no idea where I last saved or even if my save still exists

*16) Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

17) Resident Evil 4

*18) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest

19) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

20) The Legend of Cellda: The Wind Waker  <<- Favourite Zelda, I'm two bosses before Gannon, but I'd have to restart anyway, as it's been too long

21) Summoner: A Goddess Reborn

22) Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Wii

1) Resident Evil 4  <<- I have ongoing Professional and Normal saves to pick from for a new game

*2) Pandora's Tower

3) The Last Story  <<- I'm in the second chapter

4) Xenoblade Chronicles  <<- In Agniratha, finishing up the quests there and clearing out all the special battles at least once

*5) Metroid Prime III: Corruption

6) Mario Kart Wii  <<-I've BARELY played this game, so a lot of stuff yet to unlock (first time ever for a Mario Kart)

7) Elebits  <<-strange game, collection meets shooter, meets puzzle

*8) Super Mario Galaxy  <<-yes, seriously, I have only played through 20 minutes of this game.  I liked it, but had other obligations and forgot to come back

9) Super Paper Mario  <<- Saved like 3/4 through the game, never beaten, I'd have to start over I forget everything

10) Muramasa: The Demon Blade  <<- Saved both Ninja's one in Chapter 2, the other in Chapter 4

*11) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

12) Okami  <<- Up to the 3rd boss

13) Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors  <<- Saved before finishing the Sea Cave

*14) Trauma Center: Second Opinion

PS2

1) Final Fantasy XII

*2) Tales of the Abyss  <<- I have a save in the third town

*3) Radiata Stories

*4) Xenosaga III  <<- I have a save pretty early in the game

*5) Grandia Xtreme

*6) Zone of the Enders

*7) Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

*8) Shadow Hearts

*9) Shadow Hearts: Covenant

*10) Shadow Hearts: From the New World

*11) Romancing SaGa

*12) Legaia 2: Dual Saga

*13) Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter  <<- Ok, I've actually played 2 hours of this

*14) Disgaea: Hour of Darkness  <<- Same as BoF5

15) Castlevania: Curse of Darkness

*16) Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia

*17) Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne  <<-Technically I've played about 5 hours of this, but that amounts to 10 minutes in SMT time

*18) SMT Persona 3: FES

*19) SMT Digital Devil Saga

*20) SMT Digital Devil Saga 2

GBA

1) Final Fantasy VI Advance  <<- I have a save at the end, maximizing items abusing the duplication and stats with the savestate trick, but I can always start a new game

2) Castlevania: Circle of the Moon

*3) Riviera: The Promised Land

4) Final Fantasy V Advance  <<- I need to start over anyway, due to overlooking and forgetting certain things...I'd go chicken knife given how much the Brave Blade sucks!

5) The Legend of Zelda: the Minish Cap  <<- Never finished, but I'd be lost attempting to gather the last 2% of stuff, so I'd start over

*6) Sigma Star Saga

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

SNES: Doom

NES: G.I.Joe: Atlantis

Fallout 3 GOTY.

The G.I.Joe is a nice hidden gem, if you like Contra styled games.

• Upvote 1

Gamecube go with Tales of Symphonia, PM:TTYD, SSBM, and all the LoZ games. 

Play through the Metroid Prime Trilogy. You won't regret it.

SNES: Secret Of Evermore, Seiken Densetsu 3

PS2: Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Castlevania Curse of Darkness

WII: Twilight Princess

Gamecube: Viewtiful Joe, Baten Kaitos (Highly recommend!!!) 

Well tactics and tactics advance aren't up there, but I think I will play FF9, as it's been a very very very long time.  I have both I just don't want to dig them out of storage.

Ok, so far, I think I'm going down this route for concurrent playthroughs (normal playthroughs):

1) SNES: Secret of Evermore

2) NES: GI Joe: Atlantis

3) SNES: Doom  (just for some more gung-ho action)

4) Lost Odyssey (since it's off a NG+ type, so it'll be much smoother for Discs 1 and 2)

5) Metroid Prime 1

6) Metroid Prime 2

7) Metroid Prime 3

8) Tales of Symphonia (since I really need to finish this excellent game)

...then I'll consider the other games after that.

Keep the ideas coming.  I'll do an hour of DQVIII, an hour of one of these games, or 2 hours/2 hours, depending on how much time and sleep I want!

I forgot I had some GBA games I didn't put in storage, so I've added a new list to the first topic to add to the game options.

Edited by ignasia7

Zone of The Enders is pretty good after the first few missions. It can get really hard, though, and the voice acting is pretty bad.

Bravely Default for the 3ds is good if you want to burn some time (and if you have a 3ds, I didn't see it in the original post). It DOES get pretty boring about halfway through if you don't do the (i'm not sure if you can call it this) side quests. I have finished it and thought its was fun and it made me wish more games had the brave & default system.

Oh and the Fantasy Life game for the 3ds (not out yet but will be released soonish) looks good.

Edited by Revelent5

I have to agree on GI Joe. Both of those games were great although 1st one was probably better than Atlantis Factor.

If you have someone to play RE5 with, I'd recommend that game. It's not a masterpiece, but it is fun in coop, also no terrible Sheva AI.

Genesis. Play Soul Blazer.

I'm gonna go with Assassin's Creed II (Xbox 360) and Ocarina of Time Master Quest (Gamecube).

From the list I've played and recommend:

XBox360:

*1) Fallout 3

*9) Halo: ODST

If we're allowed to recommend stuff not from the list:

PSX:

Crash Team Racing: The best of the kart racing genre. (Ok, so it's the only kart racing game I've played, but still tremendous fun.) Adventure Mode is where the story is found. You have to race through all the tracks, and beat bosses on their home track. There's CTR races, where you have to collect the letters CT and R and still come in first, and Relic races where there are no other participants, and you have to hit boxes to freeze the clock to get the lowest time possible. Other modes include: Time Trial, where you race against yourself to get the best time possible. There's a mode where you can race against the AI on any given track, at different difficulty levels. There's a VS Mode and Battle mode where you can play against a 2nd player.

Spyro 1-3: Fun games.

Crash Bandicoot 1-3: I've done a lot of 2, and most of 3. Crash Bandicoot(original) is the hardest of the lot. 3 is the easiest. Wacky antics, and all around fun.

PS2:

Jak and Daxter, Jak II, Jak III, and Jak X: Combat Racing: Jak 1-3 are platformers. Lots of fun. 2 is probably the most balanced of the lot. It's also the one that I like the best, and have spent the most time on. Don't get me wrong, they're all great! Jak X is not a kart racing game. Crash Team Racing has a joyful and kiddish feel to it. Jak X is darker, and more mature. Both are fun in their own ways, but I like CTR the best.

.//hack Infection, Mutation, Outbreak, and Quarantine: A SMMORPG series. Simulated Massively Multiplayer Online Game. :P Has RPG elements, but not turn based like DQ. Attacks are preformed in more or less real time. Combat is paused when you open a menu to choose an item or skill. Pressing the x button attacks, if I remember correctly.

Kingdom Hearts: RPG elements, but again not turn based.

GTA: Vice City: Sometimes you just need a place to cause massive chaos and explosions. This is it. Just driving around is fun. The only drawback, is the it doesn't have seamless loading, and you're occasionally presented with a loading screen. Decent story, but not of DQ caliber of course. :P

Jak II is great for chaos and explosions as well, especially midways to later on in the game. No loading screens for this, because Naughty Dog is awesome like that. You can actually cause stuff not to load, but that's for post game. The glitches are fun as heck to explore. The game content is about 12h first time around, and 9-10h thereafter. You can probably get that time down even further if you're doing a speed play-through, but I haven't. After you've completed the main story, there's not really must to do in the game. There's high scores on mini-games to beat, and cheats to unlock. Aside from that, cruising around on a zoomer is really fun. Other than that there's not really much they added in the game to keep you coming back. Until you start discovering glitches. :P I've got over 60 hours on one file. It's the file where I spend all the time trying to find glitches. There's really only one game stopping bug that I recall. It's near the end of the game, and it involves not paying attention to your surroundings and just going to race like you had to do for all the other umpteen times. What you were suppose to do was not go to the zoomer races, but instead stop short of that, and see some characters out on the ground, get off your zoomer, and approach them. If you fail to notice them, and proceed to the zoomer races instead, then you can never finish the game. I got hit by this glitch my first time through. I was stuck scratching my head for the longest. It was only after I saw my cousin battling the final boss that I realized something was amiss. Aside from that, the only other game stopping bug I've encountered was a buffer overflow. I've never been able to reproduce it. Only happened once. Didn't cause any lost progress, as it happened after I had already completed the game. I was on one of my chaos runs, and had spend a long time blowing up many many zoomers and whatnot in one area. It was probably this that caused it. So, always save before you cause too much chaos. :P (Like and hour or two...)

DS:

Most of my DS games are DQ. Rocket Slime plays differently from the rest of Dragon Quest, so give it a shot.

Other than that: Lock's Quest: Lock's Quest is real time. Battle has two phases, one where you build fortifications, and another where waves of enemies come and attack them. (You are able to run around and repair them.)

XBOX360:

Just Cause 2: This falls in the Chaos and Destruction category. I don't have an Xbox360, but I convinced my cousin to buy it after watching just a few youtube clips. He let me borrow his 360 for a while, and I was able to play a little of this and Fallout 3. It's also on the PC, if you have a powerful enough computer and graphics card. It's by Square-Enix, but that's hardly relevant. JC2 is pretty open ended. Almost right off you can go wherever you please. The physics have been adjusted for the most fun, instead of realism. Automobiles, Air vehicles, Boats, weapons, huge landscape; what more could you want from a game? :) Story? Well, it has that too, but I haven't gotten to play much of it, so I can't really comment on it.

Halo 3

GTA: IV: Decent story, and fun game play.

... Soul Blazer? God I was drunk, that was SNES.

SNES : Soul Blazer

Genesis : Beyond Oasis

Sega Saturn : Legend of Oasis.

Here's my suggestions (*very amazing)

SNES: *Final Fantasy II (IV), III (VI), and EarthBound (Japanese option- Tales of Phantasia, *SMT I and II)

(sorry for the japanese suggestions, they're just very good)
NES: Any of the Final Fantasies (Japanese option- *MOTHER, *Sweet Home, *Gimmick!)

Genesis: Phantasy Star II and IV

PSP: Ys Oath in Felghana

DS: FFIV

PS1: Chrono Cross

X360: Tales of Vesperia

GC: Tales of Symphonia, *Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles

PS2: *Persona 3: FES, Shin Megami Tensei DDS I+II, and *Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

GBA: FFV+VI Advance

Edited by Motdrafin

When I don't feel strongly either way about a decision, I leave it up to chance. RNG anybody?  :thumbsup:  Print it out to PDF, for future reference, as it changes every time you reload the page.

Hm. A poll might have been a good idea for the topic. Just a thought.

I didn't see any GBC games on the list, but you should give Shantae a shot. It's mainly a platformer, but it's got some RPG elements (towns/shops/items/magic/dungeons etc.) as well as a little bit of rhythm game elements (you're character is a half-genie belly dancer, you dance to cast magic/transform).