You know PSP blows chunks hard right? It's about as useful as a door stop. I'd say paper weight but in this day and age who uses paper?

I do! I use paper a lot! And that's a shame, because the PSP really is a nice piece of hardware. The four games I have for it are all quality. Sad we never got a Megaman Powered Up 2

I'd laugh at you for having a system for 4 games. Then again, I think 99% of my Wii time has been spent on Fortune Street, DQ Swords, Mario Party & Mario Kart. So no judgements.

I use paper daily as well! I don't know what I would do without it.  I might have to figure out the "three seashells" if I didn't have it.  I don't need a paper weight for it though, we have this really convenient holder for it right next to the toilet.

• Upvote 2

...The PSP is a paperweight?

God Eater,

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (slow and cumbersome yes, but best script, good additions and tweaks, this is the definitive version),

Disgaea,

Star Ocean 1: First Departure (decent remake of a subpar, if beautiful and with a unique battle system for an SFC game),

Star Ocean 2: Second Evolution (while it should have seen a proper remake, this is arguably the best game, and this, the definitive version),

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (unlike WotL, this was an enhanced port done perfectly, and like WotL, the new script is phenominal, as are the additions...definitely the definitive version),

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (Uh...how do you knock a game of this quality?)

Ys III: The Oath in Felghana (It's a port of the PC release, THE BEST VERSION OF THIS GAME, with good VA, and some new additions that make for a more fun repeat experience...imo, THE definitive version due to portability and the NG+ carryover features),

Ys Chronicles: Books I&II (this is an ENHANCED port of the PC release, with smoother gameplay, sharp controls, enhanced sound, and damn fine new set of extras that any fan of the series would swoon over, did I mention it's more fun to play than the PC version due to the really sharp controls, and better than the steam direct port of this specific version due to it's utter awesomeness?),

Monster Hunter 2 (Uh...ya, like THE best MH version until the Wii version came out, and for those who like this sort of game, it's still one of the best MH releases),

Ys 7 (Sure it's not quite as difficult as other Ys releases, sure there are some quirky elements like the graphics are subpar for a PSP game in some maps and uber fantastico in others, and sure not all enemy models really show the quality that's expected, while others saw a tremendous amount of love, but damn, this is a fun game, and the basis for Ys 4, and as much as I thought I preferred Ys3 to this while playing, after the fact I grew to really enjoy the Ys7 battle system for all it's quirky mishaps that similar games have long-since corrected...since for some reason it's simple and really fun).

...I can go on, there are actually quite a few good, and a select few truly fantastic PSP titles, but I'd hardly call the system a "paper weight."

Then again I do like my paper (looks at like 300+ pages worth of notes, hand written, on paper, and 1000's of pages worth of written work, hand written, on paper...not that I can read my own writing mind you).

Also eal, that's a good point, but despite this factor, it's still a little sad it's the first DQ game to see a remake and yet see the state DQ6 is in compared to all other first-time remakes, especially when 7 is a throwback to the other remakes in terms of adding so much.  I guess one can say, maybe Horii found DQ6 personally so perfect there wasn't need for any additional goodies.  It's his baby afterall, and it was in production and development a might longer than even DQ5 PS2, so who knows what ideas and concepts were batted around and rejected.

Edited by ignasia7
  • Upvote 1

I've enjoyed my PSP even though I haven't used it too much. I've gotten some great deals for games on the system, and have had fun with them and the system.

Anyway, you might have a point there ignasia7. Horii may have seen the game being as fine as it was, so that could explain why they didn't add too much new content. I'm satisfied with what we got, very much so in fact. I was just surprised there wasn't another surprise since it was a remake.

Ignasia, I think you meant Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.  Person of Lordly Caliber was the GBA prequel.

These are the PSP games I owned.

FFVII: Crisis Core (Crap game, don't buy it)

Itadaki Street Portable (Way better than the Wii version)

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (Like Ignasia said, it's script and other enhancements are fantastic.  A pity about that lag though)

Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus: My favorite fighting game.

Final Fantasy Dissidia Duodecim:  Crap story, fun gameplay

Edited by Megalosaro

PSP had a great library of games but once Monster Hunter Freedom Unite came out I don't think I played anything else lol.

TRegardless of game library, I was talking about how the PSP was the more CAPABLE system. The DS wasn't very impressive when compared. UMDs had much more space, and the PSP had better graphical capabilities.

I'm not saying graphics are the most important part of a game, especially in RPGs, but if you are going to make your characters visually customizable, the system has to look good enough to make it worth it.

Ignasia, I think you meant Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.  Person of Lordly Caliber was the GBA prequel.

These are the PSP games I owned.

FFVII: Crisis Core (Crap game, don't buy it)

Itadaki Street Portable (Way better than the Wii version)

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (Like Ignasia said, it's script and other enhancements are fantastic.  A pity about that lag though)

Gundam vs Gundam Next Plus: My favorite fighting game.

Final Fantasy Dissidia Duodecim:  Crap story, fun gameplay

Oops, I'll fix that!

Hmm, I actually liked some elements of Crisis Core, I just didn't like the story or direction of the game, and it was a gimmick designed to "seem" like an actiony game, when really it was a turn-based game with gymnastics (that rarely amounted to anything, since you could be 50ft from an enemy and still get pelted with a melee blow, sometimes mid-cartwheel just because the enemy triggered the skill a 1/10th of a second prior to hitting the button, and it queued up first, but looked like it was well after).  Hmm, actually the more I think about it, the more I don't like it.

Ya, fudge that game.  I'll stick with my Star Ocean: Second Evolution if I want something fast paced, fun, and engaging.  With a good story, and enough material, content and alternative options for a billion new experiences.

Have you ever played any Ys games?  I'd highly recommend the above mentioned.

If you had a small brother, and compared the games Ben 10 for PSP and Ben 10 for DS, your small brother would always want to play the PSP :P.

The real problem was the games... DS has a ridiculous number of good franchises... really... Pokemon, Mario, Zelda... what games does Sony handheld system have to compete? In general people think should I buy more 1 or 2 games of DS or buy the PSP to play just a couple of games? I mean, a lot of people would buy PSP to play a Final Fantasy Remake, or God of War, or GTA, but really, everybody plays Pokemon and Mario...

I still loved PSP and played a lot of games: God of War, Crisis Core, Ben 10, Simpsons, NBA 2K, Megaman (Maverick Hunter), GTA, some Lego games and some strange DBZ and Naruto games.

But I never got really into any game that time, I used it more to have fun, play 30/40 minutes and shut it down... I don't know, maybe I was too young.

I thought DQ6 was significantly better than DQ9, but I really wish the SNES version had come out here way back when. I think it would have really done the Dragon Quest series a world of good.

PSP had Dracula X Chronicles and Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower. It only needed two games to be awesome.

• Upvote 1

To answer your question, Ignasia, it was the modern graphics and features that I missed from DQ9.  It may be weird, but I loved the fact that every piece of equipment could be seen on your characters, for example.  I knew what I was buying when I got DQ6 and wasn't disappointed at all, it was just a little dull going back to the same engine of the 4 and 5 remakes.  I'm probably a little biased (and in a minority) because DQ9 is one of my favorites.  It's probably the DQ that I've gotten the most play hours out of.

I remember feeling the same way when I'd heard that DQVI was being rereleased after DQIX.  US fans who played DQIX first would find DQVI a let-down, from a game-engine and graphical standpoint.  DQIX also has cosplay and third person battle perspective, which is a fantastic addition (nod to VIII for being the first game to improve the battle system.)

I did like DQVI way better than DQV, though, mainly for the dream-inspired storyline, the music, and the characters, so I wasn't too disappointed that it came out after IX, I just new it wasn't going to be ground-breaking.

It's been about 12 years since I've played DQVI-SFC, but the DS remake did have the feel that it was closer to a straight port than a major upgrade.  DQIV and V were more noticeably improved upon, graphically, from their originals.

• Upvote 1

I've played the majority of those games and disliked them. Save the YS games. I got YS VII with my first PSP and thought it was the dumbest thing ever.  I disliked the original FF Tactics so though I have WotL I never played it, I prefered FF Tactics Advanced. Ogre Battle while not terrible I only enjoyed Person of Lordly Caliber for the N64, Tactics Ogre for the GBA or PSP never got my blood pumping as much as that one. Crisis Core I liked due to my childhood memories of imagining Zack's story and playing through the events of FFVII on the playground at recess. But still not enough for me to dust off the old PSP and play it, oh same for Castlevania, love Castlevania yet not enough. My PSPs are sitting in the bottom of some medical bag, but hey its better than the Halo Edition XBox still in the box sitting in a storage unit right?

I never owned a PSP, but I've recently started emulating some games on my Shield.  Valkyria Chronicles 2 is a good one that no one has mentioned.  It has a lot of good games imho, and I feel like I really missed out not playing them until now.  I love the Ys series, but are there any on the PSP that I can't already play on my PC?

I bought a lot of those PSP games on my Vita (Though there are a lot that are still unfinished...).

There was also Persona 3 Portable (mainly for the opportunity of playing as a girl), and Z.H.P. (That game is hard as hell, but it was fun.)

I have a soft spot for Nintendo's handled though. 

I've played the majority of those games and disliked them. Save the YS games. I got YS VII with my first PSP and thought it was the dumbest thing ever.  I disliked the original FF Tactics so though I have WotL I never played it, I prefered FF Tactics Advanced. Ogre Battle while not terrible I only enjoyed Person of Lordly Caliber for the N64, Tactics Ogre for the GBA or PSP never got my blood pumping as much as that one. Crisis Core I liked due to my childhood memories of imagining Zack's story and playing through the events of FFVII on the playground at recess. But still not enough for me to dust off the old PSP and play it, oh same for Castlevania, love Castlevania yet not enough. My PSPs are sitting in the bottom of some medical bag, but hey its better than the Halo Edition XBox still in the box sitting in a storage unit right?

I actually agree that the FFTA games were more fun actally.
Tactics Ogre... I like it far more for the script than the gameplay actually. 

Couldn't really get on the Ogre Battle SNES game (and never owned a N64)

DQVI is my first DQ so I am obligatory partial. It was great enough to get me in the serie, and I still love his story and universe.