Things I wonder about when replaying DQIV DS

I've recently been replaying DQIV DS, and for whatever reason, I'm just recently starting to wonder about some minor detail. One particularly one that is not that important, but makes one wonder. I'm on Torneko's chapter, and every day I always sell off his packed lunch instead of eating it, yet he doesn't get any slimmer. Yeah, rather random and silly. Doesn't really matter, but just thought I would start off a conversation about the game.

What little details do you wonder about in this game, or even in V and VI(which I plan to replay as well).

Poor Torneko has a terrible metabolism. No matter how much you starve him, he stays as plump as a King Slime...

Anyway, I've wondered why Tuppence sucks so much doesn't learn any useful skills as he levels up. If he could learn abilities like Falcon Slash and other attack skills he would be a lot more useful as a party member.

• Upvote 2

MetroidXPS! So great to see you.  Brilliant topic and here are a couple from me:

- I wonder why Psaro was entered in the tournament in Endor. 

- I wonder why NPCs don't get killed when they travel from town to town, yet the legendary hero has a very real chance of dying in such circumstances

• Upvote 2

I just thought of another one while still working for Torneko's boss(trying to get the catery sword to show up), How does the wife afford to even keep making those packed lunches when Torneko is always hoarding all the gold? And why is his boy always in bed both day and night? Trying to get fat like his dad?

• Upvote 1

I wonder why Ragnar has a different set of armor than all the other knights. It's even more noticeable at the beginning when all the knights are lined up together.

I just thought of a good one: how on Earth did any of the 3 possible wives in DQV go through 9 months of pregnancy in such a short amount of time?

I've always wondered why you can't have more guards fight with you in DQV. I mean, you are the king after all. Shouldn't you be able to arise a mass army of soldiers?

Why does Flora or Deborah just decide to marry some random dude that showed up and defeated a monster? Are they that shallow?

well, for Flora I think she was just going with her fathers wishes.

But Deborah....yep. Shallow.

I always wondered why you couldn't y'know just get the king of each kingdom or something to supply you with the best equipment. After all, you are trying to save the world.

Why did they change the skin color of Maya and Meena and Carver? Political correctness? I'd figure people would like characters of different skin colors in the game.

• Upvote 1

Flora was sent away for bridal training for a good chunk of her life. She was literally raised and educated to 'get married to the right man and be a good wife.' She probably would have went along with whoever her father chose because of her upbringing. IIRC she didn't ever openly reject the arranged marriage idea despite it being a common cliche to do so.

I don't know if she loved the protagonist at the point they got married(could have been love at first sight) but she definitely loved him afterwards

Edited by The n00b Avenger

I've been slowly working at making money to open up a shop in Torneko's chapter. In order to do this without leveling him, I have to buy a bunch of armor and offer them to an npc in Ballymoral. The guy claims there is a "desperate" shortage in armor, yet he is still willing to offer 595 gold for a 700 gold armor. Doesn't sound very desperate to me. I ain't running a charity here man, up dat price!

I've been slowly working at making money to open up a shop in Torneko's chapter. In order to do this without leveling him, I have to buy a bunch of armor and offer them to an npc in Ballymoral. The guy claims there is a "desperate" shortage in armor, yet he is still willing to offer 595 gold for a 700 gold armor. Doesn't sound very desperate to me. I ain't running a charity here man, up dat price!

Gold armor is for looks, duh. Too soft to offer real protection. NPC knows his stuff!

Gold armor is for looks, duh. Too soft to offer real protection. NPC knows his stuff!

I meant (700 gold) armor, not gold armor. :P I guess I should have reworded that.

But yeah, I just started chapter 4 now, but I got to go to work soon. I'll post more about chapter 4 once I get into it more. On a side note, I managed to keep Torneko at level 1 the whole chapter. Something I never done before. As long as he stays level 1, he will be a big help in stealing rare stuff.

I meant (700 gold) armor, not gold armor. :P I guess I should have reworded that.

But yeah, I just started chapter 4 now, but I got to go to work soon. I'll post more about chapter 4 once I get into it more. On a side note, I managed to keep Torneko at level 1 the whole chapter. Something I never done before. As long as he stays level 1, he will be a big help in stealing rare stuff.

What!? I want to hear about this level 1 thing. I've never heard of that!

Oh, and Haha about the gold armor. I wondered about that as I don't recall gold armor, but hell, I don't know half the names of the people I've worked with the past year, so I don't intrinsically trust my own memory!

Yeah I'm curious about this level 1 thing as well. By the sounds of it, the lower the level Torneko is, the better his chances are of stealing. Just a hunch though...

I do remember on my second play through of DQIV on DS, Torneko stole from enemy parties every 3 to 5 battles. I ended up getting quite a few Falcon Knife Earrings, some good pieces of armor, and plenty of herbs. Never underestimate the power of Torneko Taloon!

Man was that play through a lot of fun...

I want to know who in their right mind would name their kid Oojam It sounds like some kind of funky toe fungus

I want to know who in their right mind would name their kid Oojam It sounds like some kind of funky toe fungus

Something tells me that it would have one hell of a weird odor...

• 1 month later...

I always wondered how some characters who were meant to be already somewhat experienced in combat were still level 1 at the start of their campaign. Ragnar particularly.

Your wife giving birth in DQ5 after what seemed like only a few weeks was a bit weird too, but what bothered me more was that the hero apparently didn't realize it, even though she was only a few days from giving birth. I kinda wish there was another short time skip somewhere in there.

About the loot in caves, I imagine that at least sometimes the loot might belong to the monsters living in the cave. Like there was this happy family of Restless Armors unliving in a cave. One day the kid Restless Armor finds a shiny sword near a human corpse near the entrance and brings it home. "Maybe one day I could disguise myself in a cloak, walk into a human city and sell this to pay ourselves some boat tickets to Psaro's Castle". Then the hero comes and sees "Loot". He approaches the treasure chest, and suddenly the family of Restless Armors, and their pet Scorpion jump in to try to stop him.

Edited by abisal

There's really no way to explain this. I guess some evil magic can be to blame.

I think the DQV wife-baby thing is actually somewhat justifiable. If you factor in just how long the boat trips are and how long it would actually take to climb mountains and such, by the time she collapses, that would be roughly about the time a woman would start showing. And then more time would pass going to Gotha, leaving her around 7-8 months pregnant. Then you have your test to become king, which takes up the remaining time.

Interesting thought you have there. It could certainly be plausible. I mean, the hero always loots the corpses of monsters after you kill them, so why not the other way around, right?

Maybe the wife is one of those "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" women. Like, maybe they thought they were eating too much Orc meat and just started slaying more monsters for exercise. Or maybe they thought all the times they were poisoned were the reasons they kept vomiting. At least she didn't give birth on the toilet.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I wonder how that one Slime who traveled across the continent to check up on his Cat friend became friends with that Cat in the 1st place. Where did the 2 of them originally meet, and how do they communicate?

He read that the cat was looking for a friend in the purrsonals.