Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

You really want more DQ? Buy DQ8.

Wouldn't be the first time the English localization had something the Japanese version didn't. :P

• Upvote 1

I use a thin stylus. Doesn't get in the way of much.

Wouldn't be the first time the English localization had something the Japanese version didn't. :P

Mind you, it's one of the only times an English localization has actually been leaps and bounds better in terms of atmosphere.

One hand isn't practical for a 3D game where you need to actively control a camera, movement, and face-buttons for menus, confirmation and so forth.

You do not need to 'actively' control the camera because there are very few, possibly zero instances in this game which depend on both running in one direction and having a good view in another direction at the same time. That is not how DQ8 works. Neither does it need face-buttons for menus if the options are spaced appropriately, which is easier to do when there is more vertical space.

Greetings all.

Regardless... if you're so busy you have to play a game with one hand... you probably shouldn't be playing a game? That sounds like you're either driving or holding onto something in a train/bus. In which case, pay attention. >_>

I can't recall the last time aside from mindless grinding in a 2D game (like Pokemon) that I wanted to play one-handed so I had a hand free... lol.

Many years ago, I saw a Japanese ad for a Super Famicom peripheral that was a one-handed controller.  Your thumb was used for the d-pad and the four fingers pressed the other buttons.  It was made for RPGs and was designed so the player could control the game with one hand and the other hand was free to draw maps, charts, etc.  This is one aspect of RPGs that's not quite as popular in the West; many players simply buy strategy guides or go to Gamefaqs.  But in Japanese culture, part of the fun of RPGs is making your own guides as you play.  

The camera controls do complicate things a bit in this case, but this is likely one reason the mobile games are designed for one hand.

The topic title should be:

You really want more DQ?  Learn Japanese.

• Upvote 4

I tip my hat to you, FlyingRagnar.

Can it be both?

Can it be both?

Like learn & buy Japanese?

Odd. I mean how can you purchase a language? You can learn it, but purchasing it isn't a thing.

Rosetta Stone.

I've just started through http://www.textfugu.com , and it seems really good, but I've only just started, so don't take my word for it. I've heard Rosetta Stone is a waste of money, though.

I found out that I can access the Google Play store on my phone by using my school gmail and the public library's wi-fi. Here are my two questions:

1. I have an older HTC of some sort (I'd say from about 2006-2008). How well would this game run on it?

2. How do I get money onto my Google Play account so that I can buy this?

No to question 1, it will not play it. Your phone likely doesn't even remotely support Android 4.0, which is the minimum support level.

And 2, buy a Google Play card from a store and redeem it on your phone.

I don't have a smartphone (or a cell phone of any sort) but even if I did I wouldn't be buying this as it only perpetuates the myth that I want more games on phones. I don't.

To me there's no difference between DQ on a phone and no DQ at all.

It's not like they're going to stop making Dragon Quest games on consoles and handhelds just because they do a mobile port.

Sign in to follow this