Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

You really want more DQ? Buy DQ8.

The portrait screen really isn't that bad, the worst thing I have to say against DQ8 mobile is that most devices can't handle it. Aside from that it is a decent port. It's not the PS2 version, but that doesn't mean it isn't bad. One of the greatest games ever but a little less good is still damned great.

• Upvote 1

I'm here.  lol  I actually have that app and it does work.  What you get is a small screen of the same dimensions in the center.  Roughly (or maybe exactly) 2/3 of the screen is black border.  I couldn't figure out how to maybe stretch it, but I didn't mess with it for that long.  That being said, it is doable with that app if you don't mind a tiny screen.  I'm sure you could probably make something happen with the game mapper as well, though I'm not sure how successful it would be.  I weighed the pros and cons and decided to just play it sideways for the full screen.  I don't have the best eyes, though, so maybe that's why the small screen didn't work so well for me.  You may find it to be a better alternative.  A landscape option would have been great, but there are still ways to enjoy it.

I really love my Shield.  There's lots of things to do with it if you take the time to tinker around.  I initially wanted one for streaming (which does work great btw), but now I mainly do other things with it like apps and emulation.  I would invest in at least a 32gb sd card or higher as the internal storage is quite small for such a powerhouse.

And yeah, you can try the app and see if it works for you or not.  I went ahead and bought it because I figured I'd use it for something eventually.  I think it's only $3 or something like that.

Edited by Griever

I don't really want to spend money on either a tablet or cell phone just to play one game the only other game that I want to play has a PC version that has a better UI and also I'd rather not use BlueStacks as it has issues.

• Upvote 1

There is no PC version of DQ8.

I think he meant a different  game. If he's talking SE games, I would guess he means FF3???

I disagree.

I bought the game, but I don't want to see dragon quest becaming just a mobile game now... if buying this game will make they say "ohhh let's only sell mobile games to the west", really I prefer to not buy....

• Upvote 2

I don't think they'd see it that way. If so, they'd probably feel the same about Final Fantasy seeing as it sells well on mobile phones and at a low cost to produce. If it got popular on the mobile market it would only amass a bigger fanbase and they'd want to localize as many games as they can. 

There's a PC version of DQ8 or do you mean via emulation? It emulates good, just be prepared because PCSX2 is a VERY demanding emulator.

There is no PC version of DQ8.

I think he meant a different  game. If he's talking SE games, I would guess he means FF3???

Yeah I was talking about an other game and no It is not a FF game the game I'm talking about is Plague Inc..

Already own the English PS2 and Japanese PS2 versions so no thanks.

Guess what? This might be a couple years off, but I may end up buying the game a second time. I just heard apple is removing the traditional headphone port from future iDevices and forcing people to buy proprietary headphones that use the lightning connector. I don't know if this is true or just a rumor, but if it is true, I will be switching to Android. Seeing as how I absolutely hate Mac computers, too, this would mean Apple would never see my money again.

Guess what? This might be a couple years off, but I may end up buying the game a second time. I just heard apple is removing the traditional headphone port from future iDevices and forcing people to buy proprietary headphones that use the lightning connector. I don't know if this is true or just a rumor, but if it is true, I will be switching to Android. Seeing as how I absolutely hate Mac computers, too, this would mean Apple would never see my money again.

I don't doubt it. Apple may innovate well, but they are all about their proprietary property. One reason I hate them so much. Maybe not hate, but definitely don't support them. Got an iPod for free from my ex. Got an iPad for free from my work. I use them but I'd never pay for one. I actually linked a credit card to my iTunes account for the first time to get DQVIII. I'd survived off gift cards I'd received until then.

I hate Apple so much. A commune of stuck-up douchenozzles talking about their products as if they're going to change the world. If that was the case, then why are we always seeing a new iPhone and iPad every couple months that slowly take away support from the previous generations? And their computers are garbage too. Ooh, cool, I can make music and arts and crafts on my computer and all it will cost me is over a thousand dollars and blindness from staring at that butt ugly OS. And worst of all, they hold a total monopoly over music-playing devices so my only choice is an iPod that will be obsolete faster than I can put my music on it. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to deal with iTunes forcibly popping up every time I need to charge my iPod's 10 minute battery.

• Upvote 1

Then buy a chinese Android phone off eBay for a fraction of the cost and be done with it?

I barely use my iPod anymore anyways. I mostly just use iTunes on its own. I still use an iPhone for calling and all that crap but I got it brand new for free and nothing beats free.

I hate Apple so much. A commune of stuck-up douchenozzles talking about their products as if they're going to change the world. If that was the case, then why are we always seeing a new iPhone and iPad every couple months that slowly take away support from the previous generations? And their computers are garbage too. Ooh, cool, I can make music and arts and crafts on my computer and all it will cost me is over a thousand dollars and blindness from staring at that butt ugly OS. And worst of all, they hold a total monopoly over music-playing devices so my only choice is an iPod that will be obsolete faster than I can put my music on it. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to deal with iTunes forcibly popping up every time I need to charge my iPod's 10 minute battery.

I also got a MacBook pro from my school. It sucks so bad I brought in my own PC and only use that at work.

I barely use my iPod anymore anyways. I mostly just use iTunes on its own. I still use an iPhone for calling and all that crap but I got it brand new for free and nothing beats free.

True.

Well I hate Mac computers too, but I think that with time they will get even more common... We may have to be used to it...

I still love Iphone and Ipad but everything you need there you need to pay, spend money, microtransactions... The games and apps in Android are generally much cheaper or you have a free alternative.

I enjoy using my iPod touch for music and going online to check the Den and whatnot, but other than that I don't do much else on my iPod. I don't care for Apple computers though. Those things can F(rench toast) right off.

• Upvote 1

Honestly I'd rather have had an Android this whole time, but I got stuck in the Apple loop when my parents got me an iPod Touch for Christmas a few years ago. By the time I got me first smartphone, I had already spent a bunch of money on iTunes that I didn't want to loose. Anyways, I didn't have a choice because my sister and I just got our parents' old phones (3GS's) when they upgraded to 4S's. I didn't get to pick my own phone until our next upgrade. I almost got a Galaxy (S2 or 3 I think... I don't remember what was out at the time) but didn't want to waste all the iTunes money, so I got an iPhone 5 instead. But what ticks me off probably the most is that I asked my parents to let me wait to upgrade until the 5S came out and they wouldn't let me. So, about 3 months after we all upgraded, the 5S was released and now my iPhone 5 is outdated.

Optical illusion. More might be shown but a human will not notice because we see roughly 1.7-1.8x better horizontally than we do vertically.

Portrait-mode/tall-screen is a VERY bad and lazy idea. A lot of mobile games require the phone horizontal... they couldn't just do that?

And no, there's no way 9:16 can show more horizontally than 16:9.

"Lazy" would suggest a lack of work or thought. How does that apply to a deviation from a common design practice?

mockup1.png

This is lazy. I put this together in less than an hour. Try actually playing it on a mobile.

mockup2.png

By maintaining aspect ratio without thinking about how it would work in practice, the field of view actually decreases because half the screen is obscured by the players thumbs on both sides (because you never know where you're going to find a secret treasure chest). In this game, the camera does not need to be manipulated constantly as in-field enemies are few and far between, so the second hand is basically just propping up the device when it could be doing anything else.

mockup_battle3.png

Applying the same approach to the battle screen might make the game a chore on anything smaller than a 4.5in screen because the menu options would be so small and tightly packed that selecting the one you're looking for would be trial-and-error.

Wide-screen >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> [five more pages of >] tall-screen.

I can play DQ8 at work because the portrait view makes it look like I am checking my phone instead of playing a video game. Portrait view wins forever and ever. 

• Upvote 2

It runs well for meeee.

It's just a bad design choice over all. There was no reason they couldn't have made it 16:9 and still had room on the side of the screen for the interface, letterbox-style. The game engine had to be entirely remade (supposedly) anyway, so it's not like there was an original resolution they had to adhere to.

In that case, it would defeat the entire purpose of being in widescreen since the graphics would not fill the screen from edge-to-edge and the available space for the menus would realistically be about the same as portrait mode, but still limited in height.

The only real advantage to landscape mode in DQ8 on mobile is the framing of battle sequences, which weren't all that spectacular in the original anyway.

16:9 is 16:9. Doesn't matter if it doesn't fill up all of the side or not. It's going to look the same regardless because 42:32 will always equal 16:9. I'd prefer it full-screen but if we HAVE to have touch controls using both thumbs on a horizontal field like that makes more sense than cramming them on the phone when its vertical like that. I'm an adult, my thumbs aren't Q-tips. >_>

You wouldn't be cramming your thumbs onto the bottom of the screen because the point of a portrait orientation is to only use one hand. Landscape is only appropriate for games where a large field of view is absolutely necessary or where time-critical gameplay components necessitate using two inputs at once, neither of which applies to this game where combat is menu-based and the camera can be manipulated in the overworld.

I really wish it would have been landscape, but the portrait is ok for me.  Would it have been a lot trouble to implement both?

*shrug*

The JP version doesn't have it.