Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

You really want more DQ? Buy DQ8.

See topic. Seriously. Everyone here has a smartphone, or something close. So open a Google or iOS account and flat-out buy DQ8. You can play it later.

Buy it, rate it, make it soar to the top of the app stores. Then SE will see something valid in terms of DQ numbers and we'll either get DQ7 or more DQ mobile titles.

Either way? We would win.

Not everyone has $20 to spend on a game their phone might not play. I'm as much for new games as I am against reckless spending.

• Upvote 1

Yes they do. :P Seriously, folk here drop $20 on a single meal at times. 

Already bought it, but can't even play it on my iPod. While I want to support this series, it was kind of a waste of 20 bucks (unless I upgrade to a better iPod).

That's a shame for you Mortamor, but many of the rest of us DO want the mobile ports and hope that we get them.  I can't simulate the "mobile" aspect of my phone using online free services.  My internet cable has this strange problem of always disconnecting when I walk too far from my house.  I'll have to get that looked at I guess.

• Upvote 1

That's a shame for you Mortamor, but many of the rest of us DO want the mobile ports and hope that we get them.

This is true. Personally I hope we get the iOS version of Dragon Quest 1 (is it on iOS, right?) because not only do I think my iPod will be able to handle it but I can have a DQ game with me on the go all the time since I always have my iPod with me.

I use my mobile phone for more than just "browsing the internet outdoors".  I use it for:

calling people

texting people

banking

reading the news

taking pictures and videos

gaming

controlling my tv

remotely accessing my home and work PCs

taking notes

making grocery lists

listening to music

checking my email

social networking (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter)

Watching tv shows

watching movies

playing games

learning Japanese

listening to the radio

checking the time

flashlight

calculator

dictionary

calendar

... and much much more, all while on the go, or at home, or while traveling for work, or while at-work.  It's a veritable swiss-army-knife of usefulness, so adding the ability to play DQ games to that just makes it that much better.  I would have this device with or without DQ.  But since DQ is on it now, my indispensable piece of technology has now become even more so (assuming there can be degrees of indispensability...).

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S2.  You can get one for $120 easily and probably < $100 if you buy it used / refurbished.  It is no super-computer...

Also, I'm not sure if you saw the list I just posted, but I don't use it "exclusively for gaming", and I don't think anyone who buys one does either.

Everyone here does not have a smartphone or something close.  I had to close my phone account 2 years ago.  I don't even have an ipod, let alone an ipad or a pad of some form.  Or an iphone, or a smartphone of some form.  Sorry, I can't support at this current time, in such a way.  I would buy one for every device if I had one, two, three, or more, so I guess consider it spiritual support for now.

• Upvote 1

I bought DQ8 as soon as I saw it on the Google Play Store.  I didn't know it was even out until I happened to see it a few days after release.  I play it on my Nvidia Shield and it works surprisingly well.  Being right-handed, I hold the bulk of the Shield with my left hand and control everything with my right hand.  It works a lot better than I thought it would.  I will buy every mobile DQ game that comes out because I want them and I want to support DQ in the West.

PS.  For what it's worth, I've never owned a smartphone and the Shield (Christmas surprise from the GF) is the first mobile device that I've ever owned.

Edited by Griever
  • Upvote 1

Please guys, look at the redneckpride4ever's post in that same topic. THAT'S what we needed to support DQ new releases, I think, more than buying that port on mobile phones. I agree with mortamor this time; that tells nothing to the company for sure.

I understand that you want those ports, too, becasue playing DQ portable is awesome, but that nos justify its purchase only as a claim...

I signed the petition and liked the page on FB last night.  I'll do anything and everything to get more DQ released over here.

A Facebook page isn't going to makea bit of a difference.

A Facebook page isn't going to makea bit of a difference.

Probably not, but I don't mind clicking a mouse button one time if there is even a remote possibility it could help in some small way.  The truth is, we don't know what or when the tipping point for these things is (if there even is one; most companies never claim that these petitions help sway their plans).  It gives me some measure of satisfaction knowing that I at least did a few things to contribute to the cause, even though it probably is meaningless.

Ha!Smartphone you say?How about Sony Ericsson z710i with no internet)))

And I don't have $20 to spend,either...

So petition it is.

Mobile gaming gets a bad rap, which is a shame.  People bash it for the lack of quality titles, complaining how the market is saturated with F2P games, but when a good game comes along at a fair price, no one wants to pay it.  Can't have it both way guys.

There are tons of great mobile games.

• Upvote 1

Thank &#036;#&#33;&amp;ing GOD someone agrees with me.

• Upvote 1

I guess the point is that would you rather the future of Dragon Quest be on a real gaming device or something that can do games? I'd prefer the former, and while I do play some games on my mobile, some very very good ones at that, I'd much rather play a game on a real gaming device, that being handheld or a home console. The biggest problem you'd come into there is there are too many different types of smartphones, which, if say a AAA game came out for them, you'd have varying degrees of quality. And while this is a problem with PC games as well, I'd also argue about the immersion regarding screensize and such, or pasting your sticky fingers all over your screen, I'd be contradicting the handheld argument slightly too. 

I suppose that I just don't think that it's the way to go, especially with shoddy ports.

• Upvote 1

I'm at the point where I'll take Dragon Quest any way I can get it.  Dedicated gaming platforms would be preferable, but I'll take whatever comes out on mobile as well.

Me, personally?

I see it like this.

I like retro games. I don't like flashy, new BS. If we got DQ on say, a PS4 or XB1 right now, it'd be flashy, and it'd lose it's original charm in the long run. Wii U? It got a DQ MMO. Ew.

Mobile? Proshall, have you seen some of the better mobile offerings? Look up Sword and Sworcery, it was ported to the PC. That's a perfect example of the kind of game I like. Retro, fluid, too short, but meh.

There's plenty of good mobile offerings. You just gotta look. You can ask Zenith as well, as he has an iPad. :P

On a serious note though, I still don't get the hate. I never played the PS2 version. (( Rather, I didn't play it more than an hour or two. I rented it and then my PS2 exploded. ))

DQ8 iOS/Android is not a shoddy port. It's a damn good port. People don't seem to understand that Dragon Quest VIII PS2 US/EU was modified from the original Japanese release. The original didn't have voice acting, orchestrated music, or "fancy" menus. Now, I'm not a fan of the menu changes in the US PS2 version, to the point where I couldn't stand to play it, but whether you like the or not, there is no reason to expect SE to make those changes again. Changing the menus and adding the voice acting to the worldwide release would have cost them money that would be unnecessary to spend. (I'm surprised they even did it the first time!) Adding the orchestrated soundtrack in doesn't seem too hard, but I'll let it slide because it's possible that the bigger music files may not have fit into Apple's 2GB app size limit. Also, the MIDI-based music sounds pretty darn good anyways. It's not like it's on Windows using the crappy Microsoft/Roland GM soundset.

People complain about the portrait-orientation-only gameplay. I can see where they are coming from with this, but it's not that bad. The controls work surprisingly well! You can play with one hand on a phone, or move the D-Pad over to the left (or right) and play with two hands on a tablet. (Technically you could use either play style on either device type, but these are the setups that work best.) Also, you don't lose screen real-estate because it's in portrait mode. In fact, more is shown on the screen (in both directions) than in the PS2 version. I think King Zenith posted a picture comparing the field of view of the two versions somewhere, but I don't know where and I don't want to dig through the multiple similar DQ8iOS topics...

I like how in the in-game menu, they added a battery meter and a clock. Not many mobile games do this. (Although the battery meter for some reason ticks off in the opposite direction as standard... maybe it's a Japanese thing though.)

The only real complaint I have about the port is that if your device has a 3:4 aspect ratio, the app adds black bars to the sides of the screen to force a 9:16 ratio. It does this on the iPad at least, I'm not sure about Android devices because I don't own an Android. Oh, and I've found one line of Japanese text that was not translated. (When you try to use a weapon-type-specific skill but don't have that type of weapon equipped.)

• Upvote 2

Erdrick, if I could give you more than one rep for that, I totally &#036;#&#33;&amp;ing would. Thank you SO much for saying that.

And Mortamor, to me, so far DQ8 feels... a lot better than Zelda DS.

• Upvote 2

You're right about holding the Shield sideways and wearing out the hinge.  I'm just super careful how I hold it.  I either play it sitting flat or resting on my chest in bed.  It's safe to do as long as there is never any weight or pressure being applied to the hinge.  That's a good point to bring up, though.

It's far from being ideal, but it's a lot more comfortable than I ever would have thought.  The trick is just getting into a position where the "controller" portion is resting somewhere.  While one hand keeps it steady, the other plays the screen and there's no pressure on the hinge.  YMMV, but I've been able to enjoy it for extended amounts of time.  It would be awesome if it was landscape and supported the controller, but that's not the world we live in.  Gotta make lemonade.  :)

Edited by Griever

It has a built-in game mapper that emulates screen presses and swipes and assigns them to buttons if that's what you mean.  I use it on all the mobile Final Fantasies (no SE game supports controllers for some reason, which is really lame considering they are premium-priced as apps go).  The game mapper is hit or miss for me.  It works great in some games and not so much in others.  I haven't bothered to use it with DQ8 with it being portrait, only.  I suppose something creative could be applied that I haven't thought of.