Nintendo: Nothing to announce on Dragon Quest VII or X

Thats just it, theirs a PC version, if we could find and get together a group of people who knows how to code and translate, like the group PSO2 has, we could probably start translating the PC version of the game, unless theirs something in the way that makes it impossible. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked that cartoon, I can still hear the theme song

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/476819635132956672   News-worthy. Decided to make a new topic on it.

Time to abandon NA Square forever and ever.

Oh it's not going to prevent me from importing ignasia. I mentioned in an earlier post I'm going to wait till the end of this month before I make any purchases (mainly for financial reasons), and I do plan to follow through with that. I want to play Dragon Quest Monsters 2 after all, as that was the DQ game that made me the fan of the series I am today.

As for VII, I can't wait to explore the world of the game in a whole new way and see what sort of changes are present in the job class system.

MAJOR SPOILER FOR DQ7 REMAKE AHEAD. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SPOIL IT.

...Plus, I want to see if I can find the bonus area where you can get Kiefer to rejoin your party in the post game, as I'm very curious on whether or not he can use the job class system in the remake.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Reggie's words are a pretty clear "nothing right now", as in they're not prepared to release info right now, not "never."

No, it's the generic no comment/blow off response. It just sounds nicer. See?

• Upvote 1

Reggie's words are a pretty clear "nothing right now", as in they're not prepared to release info right now, not "never."

No, it's the generic no comment/blow off response. It just sounds nicer. See?

LOL, it is, but it's goes both ways, and you know this by your years of experience.  Was this not how they've treated other titles that were released but had no mention until they were ready?  What about DQ9 and especially 6?  Wasn't Nintendo pressed about 6 for awhile with much the same responses, and yet they did release?

C'mon Dwaine, without your typical snark and smartass video/picture comments, it's really sad and gettin' me down.

DAMNIT YANGUS!!! How did I go all this time without hearing about (the spoiler)? At least you had the decency to put it in spoiler tags. I thought I knew everything about DQ7's story, so I wasn't expecting to find something so different like that. :D I should have figured there might be some 3DS-exclusive spoilers though. My bad.

DAMNIT YANGUS!!! How did I go all this time without hearing about (the spoiler)? At least you had the decency to put it in spoiler tags. I thought I knew everything about DQ7's story, so I wasn't expecting to find something so different like that. :D I should have figured there might be some 3DS-exclusive spoilers though. My bad.

COR BLIMEY, ERDRICK!

But yes that's why I marked it as a spoiler cause it's a real big one. I'm actually surprised you didn't know about it already. :P

Well.  Crap.

Just...  

Crap.

At least Reggie has the common decency to tell us there's no plans, unlike Square Enix, which would happily spend the next 10 years refusing to talk to us dirty barbarians.

Still.  Crap.

LOL, it is, but it's goes both ways, and you know this by your years of experience.  Was this not how they've treated other titles that were released but had no mention until they were ready?  What about DQ9 and especially 6?  Wasn't Nintendo pressed about 6 for awhile with much the same responses, and yet they did release?

C'mon Dwaine, without your typical snark and smartass video/picture comments, it's really sad and gettin' me down.

Sorry, Dwaine works a lot and is spread out very thin, making him quite tired.

Actually, yes, it's a line that's used quite often. PR has been telling me the same thing since 2011. I understand why they do it, I just don't find it particularily helpful and makes the situation and/or the messenger look worse. Honesty is the best policy. What Nintendo announced is what they will be pushing for the next fiscal year. All of that has to be juggled with setbacks, marketing windows, and such. That's all well 'n good, but there's nothing wrong in saying something to the extent of, "We don't intend to push a DQ title until 2015. Something Fantasy Something's our big RPG for the fall, so I hope you enjoy that in the meantime."

At least Reggie has the common decency to tell us there's no plans, unlike Square Enix, which would happily spend the next 10 years refusing to talk to us dirty barbarians.

This is also true. Despite having laid off the entire US staff...except their lawyer who became their new president...nothing has really changed and their customer interaction remains cold and ineffective. Not only do are lines like "evaluating this title for a US release" untrue (SEI is told what to release here) it just rasises hopes and grows animosity when those hopes don't pan out.

Thats just it, theirs a PC version, if we could find and get together a group of people who knows how to code and translate, like the group PSO2 has, we could probably start translating the PC version of the game, unless theirs something in the way that makes it impossible. 

I actually think it's going to be even harder now to create a translation patch if there would ever be one. At some point during one of the DQX regular updates, I noticed that some of the DQX game EXE files went from being EXEs to DAT (example: offline.exe is now offline.dat). This makes me think the game now relies even more on the server side which now loads those DAT files for you instead of your computer doing it through executables. I don't know much about computer programming, but I have messed around with PCs enough to guess that this is aimed towards piracy measures, since EXE files are easier to work with, and the DAT files now have updated unique encryption. This will affect any sort of translation projects for sure without it being intentional, since it prevents further modding of what were once EXE files. If this is the case, whenever the server checks those DAT files, if the files have been modded, the game should spit out an error and possibly flag you for suspicious activity.

Edited by Flute_Warrior

Sighs so they went and did that, alot of companies are doing that now to prevent non intended players from playing the game, PSO2 does it too actually, but the PSOW Translation team found a way around it, they created some sorta special program and patch that, somehow in real time, when something controlled from the server pops up, in PSO2s case, Items and their descriptions, the program and patch automatically translates it in almost real time for you to be able to read it.  

The thing is the PSO fanbase is huge, and they got alot of talented people who gets funded by plenty of donations to do the work and keep on doing it as more content comes out, they have atm a 70-95 percent full translation rate, depends on how new content gets released. 

From what I can guess on how it works is, once the item pops up, if its not already translated, it gets saved temporarily the information to the client, you then exit out of the description, click on the item again, and it comes back up fully translated. 

Edited by Alexandrious

You can't judge how Dragon Quest X would do simply by how Dragon Quest 6 did.  Dragon Quest 6 was on the DS while Dragon Quest X is on more powerful platforms.  Also, MMO's have a social aspect to them that can create new fans as well as keeping old ones.  I still have hope for Dragon Quest X in the U.S.  Square-Enix said off course it will be released in the west although with changes.  Maybe the overhaul is making them take more time or maybe they are waiting till the Wii U sells more.  Also, if Reggie says that Dragon Quest will not be in E3 maybe he is hearing a lot of interest about the game from English speaking fans.  The thing is Dragon Quest X looks so much better and seems so much more interesting than any game that Wii U had in their press conference. 

Agreed, Cain.  I'd say our next chance will be Dragon Quest XI...which likely won't get released in Japan until late next year.  That means the first chance for us would be in mid-to-late 2016 or even early 2017.  

I'm still hoping for possible mobile releases of the other earlier games.

Edited by FlyingRagnar

Still one element that can give us a glimpse of hope and explain the delay: the European localization. This would explain why nothing's moving for North America for DQVII -- if Nintendo or SE follows the same pattern as for the DS DQ games, then they're waiting for the EU version to be ready for a quasi-simultaneous release. While the English translation team could use the PS1 English text as a basis for the 3DS port, the teams working on other languages (such as French, Italian, German...) must work from scratch since the game never came out in Europe and thus does not have a previous official translation for those languages. One element that does help speed up the translation process is the fact that most monsters' names (as well as game conventions like spell names) were already translated for the DQ games on DS, but that still doesn't take care of all the dialogues!

In any case, I agree that if they do intend on releasing the game, it'd be nice to get some kind of confirmation, even if the release were to be held back till 2015. Still, Reggie's dismissive-yet-not-totally-rejecting response to the DQ question isn't a bad thing... at least, he's not saying to "Go ask Square Enix" (which I think would be almost equal to being told clearly that there is no intention at all to release the game, at least where Nintendo's concerned. Then again, they wouldn't be the first ones to let a game die without any confirmation that the localization process has been halted/cancelled (*cough cough* Phantasy Star Online 2 -- right, Sega?).

Welp, here ya go guys, get to it. 

http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/

And once again, like I said to many others, STOP IT WITH THE P2P MMO THING. Its just as every bit Dragon Quest as any of the others, for gods sakes, makes me wanna kick puppies every single time someone bombs on DQX just because it is a P2P MMO. FFXIV is a P2P MMO, does that mean its not Final Fantasy?  Story feels like Final Fantasy, Innovation feels like Final Fantasy, the world feels like Final Fantasy, those chocobos seem like Final Fantasy, the blasted moogles kupoing around seems very Final Fantasy, music definitely feels like Final fantasy.  What makes it different from DQX that FFXIV is considered Final Fantasy, but DQX isnt considered Dragon Quest?  Ohhh, turn combat, well guess what, DQX uses a Turn like combat too that feels and looks like it isnt, but it actually really is, someone around here could explain it better.  Final Fantasy changes up its combat system all the time.  

Again, DQX is every bit Dragon Quest as any of the other games,  JP players, are happily paying that sub fee because it keeps getting more content, you play as a silent friggen protagonist, just like any of the others, you go from town to town, city to city, dungeon to dungeon, forests, caves, towers, everything, just like any other Dragon Quest, and solve peoples problems and saving them.  The only differences are, its online, you pay a sub fee each month so that devs get an incentive, to friggen give you more and more content,  so you can keep building your character and get more things to do.  

This pay to play scare is one of the major reasons why SE is hesitant, to wanna bring it to us.  Because most of the US just doesn't understand why a MMO cant go completely F2P.  I could rant on and on about it, but im tired, got work in the morning, need sleep.  Sighs. 

Edited by Alexandrious

Welp, here ya go guys, get to it.

http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/

And once again, like I said to many others, STOP IT WITH THE P2P MMO THING. Its just as every bit Dragon Quest as any of the others, for gods sakes, makes me wanna kick puppies every single time someone bombs on DQX just because it is a P2P MMO. FFXIV is a P2P MMO, does that mean its not Final Fantasy? Story feels like Final Fantasy, Innovation feels like Final Fantasy, the world feels like Final Fantasy, those chocobos seem like Final Fantasy, the blasted moogles kupoing around seems very Final Fantasy, music definitely feels like Final fantasy. What makes it different from DQX that FFXIV is considered Final Fantasy, but DQX isnt considered Dragon Quest? Ohhh, turn combat, well guess what, DQX uses a Turn like combat too that feels and looks like it isnt, but it actually really is, someone around here could explain it better. Final Fantasy changes up its combat system all the time.

Again, DQX is every bit Dragon Quest as any of the other games, JP players, are happily paying that sub fee because it keeps getting more content, you play as a silent friggen protagonist, just like any of the others, you go from town to town, city to city, dungeon to dungeon, forests, caves, towers, everything, just like any other Dragon Quest, and solve peoples problems and saving them. The only differences are, its online, you pay a sub fee each month so that devs get an incentive, to friggen give you more and more content, so you can keep building your character and get more things to do.

This pay to play scare is one of the major reasons why SE is hesitant, to wanna bring it to us. Because most of the US just doesn't understand why a MMO cant go completely F2P. I could rant on and on about it, but im tired, got work in the morning, need sleep. Sighs.

Thank you for all those points, and a big thank you for that website. Wether we get DQX in English or not, I'm growing impatient and will import as soon as I can afford to.

Dqx's battle system is kinda like if DQ went ATB. But the timer isn't there so much to force you to act quicker, it's more to make sure everybody can play at their own speed. Once the timer clicks over to your turn, it keeps going instead of stopping, and the time you spend on one turn is still applied to the next turn(s)'s counter/clock. If Icould still play the beta (which is still installed on my computer) I'd make a video, but I can't.

I don't buy the "it takes so long to translate this script" nonsense.  If they were planning on releasing it outside of Japan they would have started localization from the beginning, like they did with man games beforehand.  It's not like it's a brand new game where the story is still being flushed out during development.

Even though it's driving me crazy that nothing is being announced, something still tells me that we will get DQ7.  I believe we'll hear about it from a Direct maybe two months before it comes out.  I could be wrong, but I hope that I'm not.

Localization "takes forever" when it's either a small team (which most definitely does not apply for SE),

Actually, it does! VIII mostly consisted of Honeywood, Plus Alpha, and Matt Alt. Plus Alpha handled most of the games and they're only two people along with Oli Chance (Who also worked with Honeywood on Ni no Kuni and apparently did DQ I Mobile.)

It's best to keep the team small given the size of the scrip. Seriously, they really are a sizable novel!

I'm going to just say this.

Warning:  If you don't feel like reading this, DQ7's body of text is easily the largest body of text of any game to ever come out of Japan, and yes, for anyone wanting to compare Trails in the Sky, it snuffs it out like a candle in the night as a giant behemoth walks swiftly passed the open window.

You completely underestimate the sheer size of DQ7's body of text.  There are 70,000+ pages of text (no specifics beyond that...so somewhere from 70,001 to 79,999).  Enix had a team of 20 translators working on it for about a year.  That is the largest team I've ever heard of, and there are numerous errors litering the entire text.  Grammar, spelling, even a few spots of an incorrect name (probably in spots where the character name wasn't called from some NPC list).

I did a bunch of work on this at Gamefaqs months and months ago.  I can't find it right now, but I'll give you the ghist.

If I took Trails in the Sky 2, and based on the data we know for how long that script is, and I worked it to a conservative English character count...now recall that when translating from any Asian dialect, it's typically much more wordy on the English side.  Maybe it's 1.5 characters of English per 1 of Japanese, maybe it's 2, maybe in some cases as high as 20 (for Kanji, since they function almost as phrases at times, being effectively hieroglyphs...don't know of any in DQ7 so I can ignore this).

I can't find the link right now, but in an article covering the localization of Tactics Ogre PSP, they were talking all about the really high word count to translate, and brought up why it was taking them so long to bring it out, and that they've been translating from the start of the PSP version's creation because they knew it would be a daunting task.  They also discussed the word count, or it was the character count with FF12, given many member worked on that game as well.

I don't recall exactly the math, but I worked out roughly the page counts based on average character counts for various types of works in English, then worked it down to the Japanese character counts and likely page counts for Trails in the Sky, FF12, and Tactics Ogre.  Then worked it backwards for DQ7.

I could take conservative word counts for DQ7 (worked out character too), so the smallest possible (based on average Essay length, not book length), and take liberal, novel length character counts per page of FF12 + Tactics Ogre + Trails in the Sky, from what I had worked, and it was less than 1/2 of Dragon Quest 7.  Just shy...but given today's standards, and DW7 PSX would not have been acceptable, and likely we'd have gotten it sometime in 2002 if Enix enforced the same text standards that SE does today, not to mention the team decided to localize in the same manner with all the puns...I'm just going to say this: you are very much so underestimating what is arguably by a considerable margin, the single largest body of text ever created for any Japanese game...ever.  Even graphic novels fall short.  Now if you want to say some western games probably have more, that would be fair given all the books, the lore, the various quest dialogues, etc, but it would be like translating the whole game of Morrowind, including both expansion packs.

It's a huge endeavour...you have party chat, which in 7 psx is random, but I know 7 3ds has a lot more of it, you have in-battle chat in 7PSX, which I don't know if it continued into 7 3ds...remember that cool gimmick from the PSX?  There's a lot of that.  7 PSX also had multiple conversations per monster type in the monster park (5 total, 1 for the normal text, which could be a single line or maybe up to like five lines, and 4 for the dialogue in the houses)...which I'm not sure totally carries over since I don't know if the new monster park even has the houses.

Even without that, multiple scenarios have anywhere from 3 to upwards of 30 total conversations per npc as the story unfolds..depends in the scenario.  Dialac clearly having a very small number given there's only 2 NPC's and the rest of the dialogue are flashbacks.  There are all the township people from the original, which is clearly reduced in number in this version, but from what I've read their dialogue changes per person as the town expands, just like in DQ4r, so it's hard to gauge the difference there.

So DQ7 3DS is likely about as large, maybe a bit smaller, than it's original, but no less daunting in size.

Also did they not hold off on data for other DQ releases in part because of the European translations weren't finished?  Too many questions...

Also Morty, I must respectfully disagree with you on DQX.  I consider FF11 and even 14 part of the FF family.  It's still very much rooted in DQ, though it's changed, but then DQ has consistently changed over time, and the arbiter of what determines what a DQ is would be it's creator, would it not?  The very man who has said, since 2001, he was interested in an online version of the series at some point, did he not?  From everyone who has played it here, including people who felt they wouldn't like it, including many who hated the "online" and "multiplayer" half-baked mmo feeling from DQ9 have pretty much taken to DQX, have they not?  For several, this being their real first foray into the MMO world, right?  Just sayin', but maybe give it a shot yourself before really calling down the hammer.  I know I thoroughly enjoyed played FF11, and the short stint in FF14 beta, but then I tend to love MMO's.

Edited by ignasia7

The only thing I have left to say right now on the topic of wether or not DQX is considedered a true "Dragon Quest" game is, that from what I've played of the beta, it feels closer to the originals than DQIX did. That's saying something.

I never actually got online though, as I was unable to complete the single player story in the short amount of time I was able to play (~2.5 hours, even though I had the game for weeks I didn't have much time to play).

70,000+ pages of text:

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/e32k1-enix/index.html

It is truly a...wow factor.  Especially when you consider those are the page counts in Japanese text.  So that's what, like 100k pages of English text conservatively?

LOL, alright man, but you know what I mean, if you play it, you might find your position on whether you classify DQX as a Dragon Quest may change.  It's just hard to know for sure until you do.  Heck, I thought XBC would play like Final Fantasy 12 or 11, and it plays like Diablo 2 had a baby with World of Warcraft, literally night and day difference from what I expected from reading testimonials, watching videos, etc.

For all the errors, I mean that's a massive undertaking and they did a fantastic job, and they really really really loved working for EoA, and all of the people there that I had the pleasure to talk with, especially Nob, were fans of Dragon Quest and really wanted to see it do well outside of Japan.  Worked their butts off...so ya, it is sad they left or were either forced out or fired with the merger.