I'm on my way to E3. I will post my impressions in here

Mega go find Reggie and ask him why he left us in the dark with that Dragon Quest tweet.

This.

Mega if I can find the Square-Enix and Nintendo booths can you ask a representative about Dragon Quest VII for us? You'd be doing us all a great favor.

Square-Enix - South Hall 2401

Nintendo - West Hall 4822 and 5244

Edited by Mr. RPG

I'll be crossing my fingers they at least address your questions directly.

I wouldnt bank on them even knowing what im talking about. The reps at e3 are usually people hired specifically for this event. They play the demos they are assigned to so they know what theyre talking about but otherwisw they work off script. Im gonna ask about it tho once I get to se's booth.

Halftime report.

I hit nintendos booth first. Its nice and open and brightly lighted. Very welcoming. I played a bunch of smash, both for wii u and 3ds. Both versions are Great. Smash run is a lot of fun.

Rosalina is a lot of fun. Shes pretty strong. Villager is kind of hard to use.

I also tried the captain toad game. I was able to play every demo level since there was no line. A shame because its really fun.

I did a run through of xbox and ps booth. Only tried the ps version of mine craft. Wasnt that great. The controls are terrible.

My favorite thing so far is this small booth were they were advertising a 3 in 1 snes nes and genesis. You can also get an adapter that plays gba games. Im gonna have to pick one up

Edited by Woodus
Stripped the dupe part

I really wish I could have gone to E3 this year. Hopefully next year.

Captain Toad was a big surprise. I'm vaguely interested in it. I've always loved Toad. It's one of my favorite Mario characters.

I hope you get an answer from Square-Enix then.

Dont forget to check the Natsume area, to see about their "Third game"

Their third game was already announced but I forget what it was. Not DQ though

Can we get an update if you have the chance, megalosaro?

Wow. Platty actually put a spoiler tag on something (or nothing, as it were). Impressive considering he made his controversial opinion on spoiler tags quite clear.

Wow. Platty actually put a spoiler tag on something (or nothing, as it were). Impressive considering he made his controversial opinion on spoiler tags quite clear.

That's exactly what I thought! It's surprising to see Platty use spoiler tags. :P

That's exactly what I thought! It's surprising to see Platty use spoiler tags. :P

Gotta keep 'em guessing. ;-)

Platty is right.  

Sorry I didn't update sooner.  I wasn't getting reception from the convention hall, so I had to wait to get home.  Then I had stuff to do today.

So let's see.  After I left the West Hall, I made my way over to the South Hall, where all the third party developers were at.  I did a quick run through.  I guess I'm not much of a gamer anymore, because almost none of that stuff seemed interesting.  I did a brief stop over at Square Enix's booth, which was utterly stupid.  They might not as well have come to E3, to be perfectly honest.  They had three games on display.  Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD, which is cool and all but it's an HD remake.  They also had Theatrhythm Curtain Call, which I didn't try because it's pointless to play a music game when you can't hear the music.  The third game was FFXIV, more on that in a second.   They also had a big screen set up, which played trailers.  The biggest news from the trailer is that Type 0 is apparently getting an official localization in some sort of capacity.  Should be great.  They also announced a mobile game based on the motorcycle game from FFVII, which to be honest I'm sort of hyped for >_<.  

As for Final Fantasy XIV, they had a bunch of computers set up running it.  There was a sort of challenge going on.  You are put in a team of 8 people and have to kill Leviathan in 15 minutes.  If your team wins, you get a t shirt.  I got in line for this because I haven't played FFXIV and wanted to check it out.  The people I was placed with had some experience with the game.  I was assigned to the role of Physical DPS, meaning I was to be a dragoon.  It didn't go well at all.  We barely got 1/3rd of his health down, because eventually Leviathan would summon Sahagrins, which would kill our healers.  No T shirt for me.

While standing in line, I grabbed the first SE employee I could find and popped the DQ question.  I asked "There are currently at least 5 Dragon Quest games on current gen consoles that haven't seen a western release.  How come?"  He pulled the corporate "We don't have anything to say about that at this time" crap response.  I then said "There ARE Dragon Quest fans here, you know."  After that, he left.  I didn't get his name unfortunately.

After Square Enix I wandered around a bit.  Nothing in South Hall really caught my attention, and the whole hall was dimly lit and playing god awful music.  I did drop by Sega's booth to try out Sonic Boom.  The character designs are pretty bad, but frankly, the game is kind of fun.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  I also enjoyed walking through Natsume's booth ( I didn't ask about their tweet FYI).  It's a big barn with a giant blow up cow.  I love cows, and I also enjoy Harvest Moon, so I enjoyed the set up.  I didn't get to play the new game though because the line was too long and I didn't care enough.

Behind the Natsume booth was a "History of Video Games" Museum.  This was pretty awesome IMHO.  They had all sorts of neat stuff here, like cells from the old Zelda cartoon, old arcade games you could play for free, all sorts of forgotten peripherals.  It had every major console set up to play.  Great times there.

After that, I went back to the West Hall.  I only had about an hour left at this point and I figured I'd spend the rest of the day playing Smash or something.  On the way to Nintendo booth, I noticed the line to the Oculus Rift wasn't that bad.  I HAD to try it out and I did.  Let me tell you guys, the hype is real.  The Oculus Rift is going to change everything.  It looks huge, but it's EXTREMELY comfortable and doesn't feel heavy at all.  And it's AMAZING looking around.  I was skeptical about it, but I'm completely sold.  Day 1 purchase.  I actually feel like I $#!&ed up by not backing the kickstarter now.

I still had some time to kill, so I went to Nintendo's booth and played more Smash.  I got two more matches in, one on the Wii U version, one on the 3DS version.  While standing in line, I saw this guy walking towards me.  For whatever reason, I looked down at his badge.  He had a VIP badge on, I think that is what drew my attention.

It was Alexey Pajitnov!  He walked RIGHT BY me.  Like maybe 4 inches away from me.  Before I could get my camera phone out he was gone though ;_;.    

After Smash, it was time to leave.  On my way out of the convention hall, they had tvs set up in the lobby that were streaming the Smash invitational.  I caught the celebrity match (Zelda Williams should have played Zelda) and the final match.  That final fight was intense.  Kirby should have won though.  It's lame out ZSS was camping.

I got a bunch of pics.  As soon as they're uploaded to compy, I'll share them

Edited by Megalosaro

Very tragic, but expected with the SE rep.  Very sad about their booth though, you'd think with all the hype and talk of games, they would've put up playable versions of Agito and Type-0.

Seems like it was a good right?  Any idea where that awful music in the South Hall was coming from?  Please say it was an MS game...please say

It wasn't coming from any game, I think.  Most booths have music playing.  Usually some sort of club mix so the booth appears to be "cool" or something.  Nintendo's booth was blasting Smash bros music.

"We don't have anything to say about that at this time"

This makes it seem like they knew what you were talking about and that they aren't ready to announce anything. That is the hopeful me.

The realistic me is thinking that they don't want anyone to know that they are no longer publishing the series outside of Japan.