Sign in to follow this  
Pendy

DQVII E3? We'll know for sure soon.

Don't worry Muddy. It's a safe bet that Ness at the least is in the next Smash Bros. Both the Franklin Badge and Mr. Saturn were confirmed as items back in April after that massive Smash Bros direct thanks to a huge collection of screen shots, so no doubt that Ness will be in the game.

Don't worry Muddy. It's a safe bet that Ness at the least is in the next Smash Bros. Both the Franklin Badge and Mr. Saturn were confirmed as items back in April after that massive Smash Bros direct thanks to a huge collection of screen shots, so no doubt that Ness will be in the game.

Yea I have complete faith he'll at least be in, or there will be alot of backlash to Nintendo if he isn't cause i know alot of friends who love using Ness lol, Lucas not so much confident on that one since Mother 3 isn't being necessarily looked at yet except with this little E3 Robot Chicken tease, but who knows

Edited by muddy120

Yeah, sorry for the delay on activation, too much gamblin'/drinkin' over the weekend in Vegas :)

I forgot to respond to this post awhile back, but yea its fine I was only in a rush to post cause I wanted to know Mr. RPGs opinions on the chances of DQ VII getting released at the time, but he alrdy posted it so it didnt matter in the end 

Zelda looks amazing, now we fighting.

I like how they kept talking about a wide open word, where you could walk wherever you could see. You know, like DQVIII 8 years ago ;-)

Type-0 coming out on PSVita/PS4 and you guessed it Xbox One.

Nice call Ryu...never saw that one coming.

Nintendo mocked Mother fans in their Digital Event. That's really sad.

Mocked? Reggie virtually burned the Mother fan alive. ;-)

I'm not Ryu lol

I'm not Ryu lol

You reported it, but earlier Ryu guessed one of the 3 SE announcements would be Agito.

Wait does SE think we accept modern final fantasy and do not care about dragon quest? 

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

SE thinks: "let's stop selling DQ and all these Rpg players will sooner or later move to FF, so we only produce 1 game and have the same amount of costumers that would buy both DQ and FF..."

Called it! Agito for mobile, but the Type0 announcement suprised me.

Square-Enix executives must think that people in the West are dumb, so they give us all this Final Fantasy crap instead of good Dragon Quest games. I hoped that Bravely Default's (which, BTW, is a quite mediocre game that doesn't stand a chance against even Dragon Quest I and II) sales were going to help bringing more RPGs to western audiences. I see I was wrong.

If we want to play more Dragon Quest entries in the future we should begin learning japanese.

• Upvote 1

Sighs, and FFXIV gets the ninja class everyone wanted.  I get more and more depressed each day, due to having to quit that game cuz of shitty bastards I trusted for a year, betraying me and leaving me in a impossible position to be able to continue playing.  Only a DQX announcement of some kind would break me out of this -_-....

Um...

I'm going to be the one to say this. 

Dragon Quest 1+2 did NOT age well. They're basic and bland JRPGs that have a good nostalgia in our hearts. But now? They'd be considered phone games.

They introduced us in the west to a more streamlined RPG experience, compared to games like Ultima, Wizardry, and the like.

Now? Calling Bravely Default, a supremely awesome JRPG that wowed a lot of people mediocre? NOPE. 

I'm not sure you're going to respond to this (( 13 posts since 2010. LOL. )) but seriously.

To withstand the test of time, one must have content. Dragon Quest 1 is short. Woefully so. Kill a dragon, save a princess, kill another dragon. 2 had a lot more depth and story, but now? It'd still be short when all of us here are now used to long-ass grinds like DQ7/8 or action RPGs like Mass Effect. (( Pew pew pew pew. ))

Bravely Default? It got high marks by all the western outlets and ended up FUBARing the eastern expectations of the game. It is because of Bravely Default, in my opinion, that the localization of DQVIII was funded at all. Far, FAR from a mediocre game.

I agree Bravely Default is a amazing game, really amazing, despite of the fact that the last chapters are so repetitive.

But still... I understand what yaridovic said. In my opinion, Dragon Quest IX from DS was much better in almost any sense than BD... Imagine that with the amazing DQ VII story here...

the fact is that BD can sell much more for Young players due to the fact it is much easier and has a lot of hints of what to do...

Edited by diogoow

If DQIX had Bravely's story, it would be awesome.

DQIX felt to me like a single-player MMORPG.

• Upvote 1

If DQIX had Bravely's story, it would be awesome.

DQIX felt to me like a single-player MMORPG.

Indeed it did. I can't stand DQIX because of that fact either along with other reasons.

Did you play Bravely Default or you praise it based on reviews? I completed it, unlocking both endings in the process and I insist: it is mediocre: a triumph of style over substance. Art and OST are superb (main character designs are a bit bland though), but the gameplay is so streamlined that hurts. In Dragon Quest I and II you have to figure out where to go by talking to people and exploring, in BD you only have to follow the arrow, just in case you get lost. In the first two games in Loto/Erdrick's trilogy  there is also a strong sense of adventure, absent in the title designed by Silicon Studio.

The script in Bravely Default is pretentious and cliché. The heroes are dumb enough not to figure out the main villain's plot, so you are forced to repeat the very same things repeatedly once you reach some part of the story. It is plain $#!&. Not only that, but all the game you are taking the same course of actions over and over: that is, defeating some Eternia army high ranks to claim their asterisks and clearing the temples to awaken the crystals, all of this seasoned with neverending and uninteresting dialogues.

So, to sum it up, I consider that whoever who enjoys real old-school RPGs such as the DQ series should find BD unappealing.

• Upvote 2

I played about 10 hours on my buddy's 3DS. It played pretty well to me, but it wasn't my 3DS to keep.

And I still stand by stance. I didn't really enjoy 1 or 2. It has nostalgia for me, being one of the first JRPGs, but I grew up playing Ultima, Shadowgate, Legacy of the Wizard, Faxanadu, etc. Never played DQ until the GBC. And then I played the hell out of 3.

I tried 1 and 2 not too far back, and couldn't get past the town of Kol.

I played about 10 hours on my buddy's 3DS. It played pretty well to me, but it wasn't my 3DS to keep.

And I still stand by stance. I didn't really enjoy 1 or 2. It has nostalgia for me, being one of the first JRPGs, but I grew up playing Ultima, Shadowgate, Legacy of the Wizard, Faxanadu, etc. Never played DQ until the GBC. And then I played the hell out of 3.

I tried 1 and 2 not too far back, and couldn't get past the town of Kol.

This is pretty common.  DQ3 doesn't have much content, but due to the nature of the number of options to explore, the pachisi tracks and the randomness of that game, and the class system, there's plenty of gameplay elements to keep a person going.  Dragon Quest 1 and 2 are chores in general.  Sure I like replaying them now and again, but only when I feel like it.  There really is just so little meat thrown into it, and none of the remakes have added anything substantive to spice things up, fill in the massive play gaps, or anything like that.  Not even basic gameplay shifts to allow for players to have more personal choice, planning, and thus fill in that time by their own desire to see whatever builds/playthrough types they could do.

There's no replay value or anything in DQ1 and 2...simple as that.  You can play both games 1,000x and all 1,000 playthroughs will be virtually identical. 

By contrast, whatever problems someone might have with the rudimentary elements of Bravely Default's story, it's still a decent overall, has a lot of fluff and meat to keep players going, and while simplistic, the class system and battle system offer quite a lot of room for continued play without any sense of boredom or the feeling of the chore of grinding (well, maybe if you grind excessively...but no game can help with that, save maybe something like a weapon creation system ala Legend of Mana, or an upgrade system ala Parasite Eve).

So I'm much in agreement Ryu.

Edited by ignasia7

So, basically the three SE announcements are 2 mobile games: Agito and FF7 G-Bike (haven't we learned from FF7 spinoffs that no one wants them?), and one digital download HD release: Type-0?  Along with an expansion for FF14?  Isn't there another SE announcement block?  There are two separate ones on two separate days I thought, one today and one tomorrow?

That explains everything. The first hours of Bravely Default are just fine, but then it gets boring once you figure out that you are repeating the same over and over, which happens way before the notorious endless cycle begins. I agree, it has way much content than DQ I and II, but they are just fillers or uninteresting stuff whatsoever.

I completed DQ I and II just a week ago and I consider them quite enjoyable if hard to get into. They are simplistic but demanding, thus compelling if you are willing for a challenge. BD has a fine battle system, which is just a rehash of the old Final Fantasy ones. It would be fairer to compare BD to FF III or V, which offer a similar turn-based job-oriented gameplay. Moreover, BD tries to be an old-school RPG, with all the mannerisms, but in the end it is lacking in some basic features so the result is quite dull.

BTW, DQ IX story is fine as it is: straightforward but touching. Don't turn it pompously epic and thus bland and forgettable, please.

P. S. It is a pleasure to discuss these topics, even if we do not agree.

• Upvote 2