Girls Claim Slenderman is Real

Slime Master

;) Just like the topic says, some apparently think that the Slenderman of Creepypasta fame is actually real and as a result stabbed their friend 19 times. See it's things like that are the reason we can't have nice things.

http://kotaku.com/girls-claim-slender-man-is-real-stab-classmate-19-time-1585164160

Here's a link to the story for more details.

This is where some kids are truly disturbed.

Funny response: No, it's because of xenophobic Squeenix that we can't have nice things!

Gut response: Damn, that's sad. There was an episode of Supernatural this season that dealt with something like this.

;) In response to your funny reply, that's only PART of the problem, in all seriousness though this is indeed sad, especially since that poor child that was stabbed will never be the same again, even if she manages to recover. Also to make this even worse, now Creepypastas will be under fire for being satanic and promoting devil worship and all that stuff that used to be said of Dungeons and Dragons back in the 80s and 90s. Even though like the aforementioned game, Creepypastas are works of fiction, fantasy if you will.

That's really controversial. But I agree.

But sadly, even prison is too good for crimes like this. Sadly, thanks to their age... for the rest of their lives, those two girls will live off the taxpayer dollar, go to college, have a job, hell, have a life, for the rest of their lives.

I hope their prison life is hell.

Unpopular opinion alert: it's obvious these girls are mentally ill and we always talk about how we need to help the mentally ill and that we aren't doing enough for them, but when someone like them does something like this because the system failed to get them the treatment they needed all of a sudden they're psychos and lunatics that need to be locked up. I find this to be a catch-22 myself because on the one hand they do need help, but on the other they did something awful. Regardless, you think mentally ill people need to be put to death because they won't be productive and mooch off the government? Is that how you feel about people with special needs? Because it's basically the same. Neither can help the way they are. We have mental hospitals for people like this. I mean, come on.

• Upvote 2

A murderer is a murderer. And of course I don't think they should be out roaming free. I said that there's a reason we have mental hospitals. But it's obvious by statements and news stories that have been put out in regards to this that these girls honest and truly believed in Slenderman to the point of obsession. Apparently Morgan's father knew about her obsession for Slenderman as he posted a picture she drew of him on Facebook and was unsurprised. They wanted to prove skeptics wrong and become his proxies. Come on. These aren't the thoughts of people in the right state of mind. They are mentally disturbed. Just because their isn't a term for what they have and others are afflicted with it doesn't mean their actions came from a place of reasonable thinking.

Whenever a national tragedy occurs and someone who's mentally ill does something heinous, we say "why aren't we doing anything about mental illness!" followed by a chorus of "this man was a lunatic and a psychopath and I'm glad he's dead!" both of which are the exact opposite of each other. Obviously I don't want things like these to happen that's why we need to start listening to the first statement instead of the second so that next time someone didn't get the help they needed we won't be calling them lunatics and psychos.

I agree. I don't think that they can be reformed. But a person cannot help being mentally ill. However, a killer chooses to be a killer. They shouldn't be punished as killers. I feel like a broken record for saying it again but we have mental hospitals for people like this.

As for the last part of your response, we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. You see them as psychotic murders, I seem them as people who aren't in the right state of mind that did something terrible. We won't reach an agreement on this and my time on the internet has taught me to end an argument when you know neither side will be convinced. Regardless, it was nice having this exchange of ideas with you.

I think they needed help -before- stabbing a kid.

To me, this is nowhere near grey. I have aspergers, so I know mentally ill. These kids were just $#!&ing stupid and need to be shown the dark side of the law.

Lord oh lord, be GLAD I am not a dictator.

• Upvote 1

What I was thinking... So they believe this guy (about whom I had never heard or read about until this news came out) is real. Fair enough.

But what makes them want to be on his good side?

I mean, if he existed, he would clearly not be someone one would admire. Unless taking lives is attractive to those people in the first place.

Lord oh lord, be GLAD I am not a dictator.

Another Aspie here who asks never to be given power, or else I will do my best to fix the world. By force.

• Upvote 1

Amen.

A killer should be punished as a killer.

Just out of curiosity, what are your feelings towards the show Dexter?  Is it okay to murder murderers?  Is that person then hailed a hero, or are they themselves a murderer?  In war, a man who is called a hero in one county is a murderer in another.  I don't know that there's a right or wrong answer here, it's just an interesting discussion point.

Edited by Liamland
  • Upvote 2

;) These girls are indeed sick in the head and should be put away in an asylum for the rest of their lives, I mean no one in their right mind would commit a crime like this to summon the Slender Man. Which I will add in, does not work like that. According to the story Slender Man stalks his victim and the victim alone and when the time comes, he takes them to purgatory where he stalks/hunts them for all eternity, kinda like the boogie man. Also the Proxies of Slendy are nothing more than his eyes and ears, they do not kill and neither does the Slender Man.

Mortamor: Should these girls be found guilty they'll receive a prison sentence of 60-65 years so they'll be old ladies before they get out of prison if they are even still ALIVE by then. They ARE being tried as adults because of the severity of the crime. I also feel the need to add, WHERE THE HELL were the PARENTS and WHY was the one child's father so damned apathetic about this issue!? Some of the blame should be put on the parents too for doing such a crappy job of parenting.

• Upvote 1

It's pretty simple. These two are poor little girls who are obviously so deluded they can't accept reality.

Honestly, they should be used as vampire food, like in Blade 3. >_>

But on a serious matter. I suffer from mental disease. Am I stabbing people 17 times to sacrifice them to Slenderman? No. These girls were planning on KILLING SOMEONE.

It makes me feel like when I look through Crimestoppers and I see $#!&ING IDIOTS SMILING AT THE CAMERA. THEY WERE ARRESTED AND THEY SMILE?! WHAT THE $#!&.

I think prison does not work. But I won't get into it here, I'll do a rant on it later. And no KZ, I won't include death penalty junk in there, that's too much of a R18 convo for this board, just like the mary jane topic.

In Dexter obviously it was a lot harder for Dexter to hide who he was and what he was doing because he had to... actually kill with weapons and stuff so it was possible to find out who was doing it. Not so much for Death Note.

The police or whatever are wasting so much manpower trying to find someone who's killing murderers, though. Why not just... you know, actually enforce justice like he's doing?

Death Note showed an interested effect from killing murderers - murder was actually decreasing. Why? Because real punishment was being handed out.

The argument could be made that it was mc harder for Light to hide his identity because that was the crux of the drama for 95% of the series and more than one person was able to deduce his identity. Also, it should be mentioned that the creators deplored Light as a character, which is understandable because he let himself get corrupted by his power. By like the second chapter (or episode) he had already lost focus and was more interested in ruling over the new world. Killing people became a game to him. I got chills when he made an evil smirk at the fiance of the dead FBI agent when he told her he was Kira.

And I'd hardly say they wasted police manpower, aside from bringing L into the investigation. There were only like 5 cops involved in the case and only one died on the job, and that was because of the fake Kira, who was inspired by the Kira killings. They operated outside the law and L privately funded a base of operations, but not a cent came from the police. And they were enforcing the law; they were bringing in a killer. Killing is against the law.

Living is the reward afterward. And... we get to waste resources nourishing them when it could be better spent...

also why the hell did this get on Kotaku? I know they're a shoddy site in general, but they're THIS desperate for views?

I did a debate on the death penalty and I found that it cost substantially more to have someone on death row than life in prison.

Also, generally all Gawker sites have the most click-bait headlines. You can't go on sites like Kotaku or Jezebel without being told something is terrible or awesome and why you should like/hate it. I remember reading a Kotaku article that got angry at Kill La Kill for "glorifying self-cutting."

Edited by eal

I don't want to make a huge quote chain, but it's mainly the lawyers that are the huge cost for the death penalty, right?

If I remember my schooling/research, it's the time and money spent on all the lawyers and prosecutors and death penalty appeals that go on. There's dozens times more legal stuff that has to happen and that criminals & well-meaning public defendants make happen when someone is given a death penalty compared to a life in prison sentence.

I don't want to make a huge quote chain, but it's mainly the lawyers that are the huge cost for the death penalty, right?

If I remember my schooling/research, it's the time and money spent on all the lawyers and prosecutors and death penalty appeals that go on. There's dozens times more legal stuff that has to happen and that criminals & well-meaning public defendants make happen when someone is given a death penalty compared to a life in prison sentence.

One has to wonder what makes it worth keeping a killer alive though. They're being rewarded at that point.

The field of Psychology can gain a lot from studying and speaking to deranged individuals. The better they can be understood the better similar cases may be handled in the future, there may be warning signs and triggers that can be spotted before things get out of control.

Just playing devil's advocate. The entire thing is a complicated issue and there's likely no "correct" answer. Which is why its so important to discuss and debate it, glad to see everyone remaining calm and rational while talking about this!

• Upvote 2

I don't want to make a huge quote chain, but it's mainly the lawyers that are the huge cost for the death penalty, right?If I remember my schooling/research, it's the time and money spent on all the lawyers and prosecutors and death penalty appeals that go on. There's dozens times more legal stuff that has to happen and that criminals & well-meaning public defendants make happen when someone is given a death penalty compared to a life in prison sentence.

One has to wonder what makes it worth keeping a killer alive though. They're being rewarded at that point.

A lot of times a mass murder will kill themselves or put themselves in a situation that will end with a bullet to the head. Which is a worse punishment, spending the rest of your natural life in a cage eating sub-par food and limited exercise and freedom while you are constantly looking over your shoulder in fear of prison rape or getting shanked with a rusty piece of metal, or being injected with a drug that you won't even feel?

I don't really want to comment on the attempted murder by the two girls. It's sad, twisted, and seemingly all too common.

However, on Deathnote I do have something to say. Light acted as Judge, Jury, and Executioner. Yes, crime rate went down. But it did not stop altogether. If I remember correctly, it was something like a 70% drop in crime? If that's true, then what of the other 30%? Those would be the most seasoned and criminally minded people out there. They would surely realize how to work the system. Want someone out of your way, but don't want to do the dirty work? It's as simple as framing them. Good ole Kira will do the rest for you. It's not like Light had the time to review each and every case to check for signs of tampering. He was too busy playing cat and mouse with L and friends. How many "inconvenient" people were put to death this way? We know at least a few. At the very least we know a few people like Raye Penber, Naomi Misora, and L were. It's not like Light was ignorant of this fact. He was a pretty smart guy, so surely he could see that the 30% would use him this way. So, a decrease of 70% of non-Kira related crimes. How many people died at the hands of Kira and the 30%? How many of them deserved to die? How many were setup?

• Upvote 1

Also, Light didn't just kill murders. Lesser criminals also received his wrath. And after his death, a cult started to form. How many of his "followers" do you think tried to kill to please their almighty god Kira?

Death row prisoners are normally kept in solitary confinement 23 hours a day.

We let murders live because no one has the right to decide who lives and who dies. If someone killed someone I loved I can honestly say I'd probably bash his skull in with a pipe. I'm sure nearly everyone on this board would agree. But that's why we have the law, to protect criminals from our emotions, because it would be a scary world if we let emotions run our system of law.

because it would be a scary world if we let emotions run our system of law.

OUR emotions usually don't play out, but other's emotions do. Those others are usually elected every 4 years.

Yeah. Until they die. And they have a nice meal for the road.

Actually, I was reading on how most places, like Florida have very strict monetary requirements on last meals. I wanna say it's $20 tops here.

We let murders live because no one has the right to decide who lives and who dies. If someone killed someone I loved I can honestly say I'd probably bash his skull in with a pipe. I'm sure nearly everyone on this board would agree. But that's why we have the law, to protect criminals from our emotions, because it would be a scary world if we let emotions run our system of law.

I flip flop on this all the time. Most of the Western world doesn't condone execution. I usually take the financial side: it costs too much and wastes too much time of non-criminals to kill them.