Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

DQVIII Progress - Summer '14

Phew, finally cleared the last trial.  Ultimate Dragon has been slain with the Guv at level 48.  Felt damn good to deal that last blow.  Having to fight all those forms in a row and keep everyone in top notch condition for the last battle was definitely a challenge, but it was also super fun.  After finishing him off, I went and tied off some final loose ends like recruiting Hev and watching the second ending. I clocked in at 77 hours after polishing that all off.  Here are some last screens before I tackle DQ4 on Android next:

DQ8_Ultimate.png

DQ8_Respect.png

DQ8_SecondEnd.png

Woah! That's insane leveling.  I don't have the patience for that at all!  I am level 48 right now and have taken down the Divine Dragon.   Working on the last trial now, but the biggest problem for me is finding the time to beat all those different forms consecutively without needing to use my phone for other stuff in the mean time.  This morning I made a dash through the Heavenly Dais and then beat the Lord of the Dragovians as well as the Vermillion and Emerald Dragon's with the 45 minute time-slot I had on the bus.  Now I am trying to keep my phone idling all day so I can take out the next batch of guys on the way home. 

I like being able to quick-save in this game, but there are a couple of sequences that are so long without quick-save ability that it's difficult to do without interruption.  This is obviously one of those, and the other one that was tricky was beating Rhapthorne and then going through all of the end-game / credit stuff.

Anyway, I am really enjoying these trials.  It really pushes the planning and strategy to the limit having to deal with all that these guys throw at you.  Reminds me a bit of high-level Legacy Boss grinding in DQ9.

Well for me it was on console, so I would get annoyed really quickly having to stop.

Wow!  You cleared all the Dragovian Trials at level 45?!  Now that's insane, I'm kind of wondering if they made it easier on IOS than on the original console?

Just beat the Darksteel Dragon this morning. Only two trials to go!

Nice, I had my entire party at level 80+ I had a good strategy for hunting King Metal Slimes!

I absolutely love this game! I hope it's ported again with more content.

Holy crap. What is this strategy?

I went where all the King Metal slimes reside and would get attacked by 3 at a time.  After level 60, I was able to get critical's like crazy and therefore able to defeat them quickly before they ran.  I'm not going to lie it took a little time but I got there, plus I am a bit of a grind freak.  By the time I left Farebury, I had Yangus and the Hero at level 10.

Edited by Madrigal

Woah! That's insane leveling. I don't have the patience for that at all! I am level 48 right now and have taken down the Divine Dragon. Working on the last trial now, but the biggest problem for me is finding the time to beat all those different forms consecutively without needing to use my phone for other stuff in the mean time. This morning I made a dash through the Heavenly Dais and then beat the Lord of the Dragovians as well as the Vermillion and Emerald Dragon's with the 45 minute time-slot I had on the bus. Now I am trying to keep my phone idling all day so I can take out the next batch of guys on the way home.

I like being able to quick-save in this game, but there are a couple of sequences that are so long without quick-save ability that it's difficult to do without interruption. This is obviously one of those, and the other one that was tricky was beating Rhapthorne and then going through all of the end-game / credit stuff.

Anyway, I am really enjoying these trials. It really pushes the planning and strategy to the limit having to deal with all that these guys throw at you. Reminds me a bit of high-level Legacy Boss grinding in DQ9.

Well for me it was on console, so I would get annoyed really quickly having to stop.

Wow! You cleared all the Dragovian Trials at level 45?! Now that's insane, I'm kind of wondering if they made it easier on IOS than on the original console?

Nice, I had my entire party at level 80+ I had a good strategy for hunting King Metal Slimes!

I went where all the King Metal slimes reside and would get attacked by 3 at a time. After level 60, I was able to get critical's like crazy and therefore able to defeat them quickly before they ran. I'm not going to lie it took a little time but I got there, plus I am a bit of a grind freak. By the time I left Farebury, I had Yangus and the Hero at level 10.
The Dragon Graveyard?

Woah! That's insane leveling. I don't have the patience for that at all! I am level 48 right now and have taken down the Divine Dragon. Working on the last trial now, but the biggest problem for me is finding the time to beat all those different forms consecutively without needing to use my phone for other stuff in the mean time. This morning I made a dash through the Heavenly Dais and then beat the Lord of the Dragovians as well as the Vermillion and Emerald Dragon's with the 45 minute time-slot I had on the bus. Now I am trying to keep my phone idling all day so I can take out the next batch of guys on the way home.

I like being able to quick-save in this game, but there are a couple of sequences that are so long without quick-save ability that it's difficult to do without interruption. This is obviously one of those, and the other one that was tricky was beating Rhapthorne and then going through all of the end-game / credit stuff.

Anyway, I am really enjoying these trials. It really pushes the planning and strategy to the limit having to deal with all that these guys throw at you. Reminds me a bit of high-level Legacy Boss grinding in DQ9.

Wow! You cleared all the Dragovian Trials at level 45?! Now that's insane, I'm kind of wondering if they made it easier on IOS than on the original console?

I went where all the King Metal slimes reside and would get attacked by 3 at a time. After level 60, I was able to get critical's like crazy and therefore able to defeat them quickly before they ran. I'm not going to lie it took a little time but I got there, plus I am a bit of a grind freak. By the time I left Farebury, I had Yangus and the Hero at level 10.
The Dragon Graveyard?

There is another place actually, I can't remember where it is, but the frequency is much higher of running into them.  I want to say the land of where that town of monsters exists, but I think that's wrong too.  I will have to see if I can remember, it's been a long time.  I am a huge grinder and am patient about gaining levels.

Wow!  You cleared all the Dragovian Trials at level 45?!  Now that's insane, I'm kind of wondering if they made it easier on IOS than on the original console?

Well, as mentioned, I was level 48 by the time I cleared the last one.  From what I could tell, it seemed exactly the same as the console.  I considered grinding some, but it seemed to me that it would take quite a few levels before you would notice any reduction in difficulty.  When they are hitting you for 200 - 300 damage with each hit and can possibly attack up to three times in a single turn, even 50 more HP doesn't make a huge difference.  These battles were all about coming up with an effective strategy to chip away at these Dragon's until they fell.  Some of the keys to my approach:

- 2 Timbrels of Tension are absolutely essential.  Would have been much worse with only a single Timbrel

- Evasion gear on people was remarkably helpful.  I can't tell you how often Angelo or Jessica were spared death because their Phantom Mask or Divine Bustier allowed them to dodge

- Elemental resistance is more important than pure defense power

- The Acceleratle Spell!  What a useful spell.  I have never found this spell to be all that useful before.  I will say that it is CRITICAL for effectively carrying out these battles

- Angelo and Jessica both have Kazing.  It was rare that both of them would die in a single turn, but incredibly common that at least one person would be dead every few turns or so

- Angelo and Jessica both have staves mastered and are using Staves in this battle (never run out of MP with the auto-MP regen trait)

- Every hit from Yangus is a helm-splitter move which has a high likelihood of lowering defense (even when Sap spells would fail)

- The Guv tosses out a Multi-thrust with his spear anytime tension reaches 50 or more

- Angelo would drop a 50 or 100 tension Pearly Gates move any time he had the chance

- Knowing the Dragon's capabilities was helpful.  For example, Darksteel Dragon can't Disruptive Wave, so buffing the hell out of everybody granted a nice reprieve in this battle

- If the Dragon reaches 50 or 100 tension, send in one of your Monster Teams to take the fall for you

Anyway, that's more than anybody cares to read about I am sure. 

As a change of pace, here is an interesting fact about the translation that I only recently noticed:  They changed the name of Disruptive Wave in this release to match the more recently used name.  In DQ8 for the PS2, when a monster used what we now call Disruptive Wave it was still referred to as being "Enveloped in a Wave of Ice".  Now, we are told that the monster "Emits a Disruptive Wave", which has been used on all titles after 8 PS2. 

Nice catch localization team. 

The Dragovian Trials I breezed through at level 80+ 

At the level you were at, those strategies are absolute necessities, once you get as high as my party was, you can afford to make a mistake or two.  After watching everyone play this game again, it's made me want to play the Young Yangus game now! Wished it had a fan translation.

If you've played Torneko the last hope, Yangus is really easy to play. I never beat it, but just from the cutscenes I DID see, I feel I got the gist of the story so far.

If you've played Torneko the last hope, Yangus is really easy to play. I never beat it, but just from the cutscenes I DID see, I feel I got the gist of the story so far.

That's another game I wish had a fan translation, Torneko's Last Hope.

Uh, why? It was released in english by Enix on the Playstation. (Are you perhaps thinking of Torneko's Great Adventure for the Super Famicom?)

There was another Torneko game on the PlayStation 2. That's probably what he was thinking of.

Torneko's Grand Adventure 3?

(Last Hope is actually Torneko's Grand Adventure 2.)

Just picked DQ8 back up after a long period of inactivity (got kinda bored with III) and loaded up my auto save. I was right in front of Castle Trodain so I've been exploring the castle. I haven't found the library yet, so please don't spoil anything. Anyways, I fought a ballsy Metal Babble. It waited 7 turns to run away, even though I was doing damage every turn.

Then I found the Magic Key in a seemingly random treasure chest. Usually they "hide" it somewhere more obvious.

Glad you picked this back up. It seems like pretty much no one beat this on mobile. Wasn't KZ our 5th lightspeed champ at like 3 months...?

Yeah, it was surprising to see how few people actually saw this through to the end.  Hope you stick with it this time Erdrick!