DQVIII Progress - Summer '14

No problem. Glad someone is enjoying them.

Figured they could be used for something in terms of "documentation" regarding the mobile version. Though that is ultimately pointless due to the minimal differences between the ps2 version beside changes made to the audio.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That would be Erdrick the Hero.  Nice find.  I'll see your untranslated Japanese text and raise you proof that the Android version is better than the iOS:     That's right folks.  The same text t

I'm now in the process of plundering the Herb Grotto.  Battle with Dhoulmagus was a little bit hairy, but managed to pull it off without needing to get Angelo to level 30 (for the multiheal).  Evil Je

I got really lucky with my Metal King encounters in the Dragon Graveyard, including one battle where the same MKS was resurrected (and re-killed) twice giving me 90k experience.  Now I have arrived at

Yeah agreed, gives me something to put out on Facebook, etc.

• Upvote 1

The original PS2 Japanese version forced the player to "walk" until the Alchemy pot dinged.

Nice progress guys. Thanks for all the pics Soul, I'm living vicariously through them. I probably won't get to my DQ8 solo playthrough anytime soon.

The one thing I wish they had considered for voice acting: Morrie. That actor was just too awesome, and his bunny girls =D. I really wish they had put in his voice work. Maybe if there's enough demand for it, they might since the game can always be patched.

Besides them having to go back and do voice acting for the Japanese version as well (there's absolutely no way they'd bother programming it in just for US), there's another big reason that won't happen: the app is already ~1.36GB. Apple has an app size limit of 2GB. That's probably why we didn't get the Orchestrated OST, too. (I'm sure it would have been easier to dump that into the game then set up MIDI. This is even more evidenced by the fact that the other mobile DQs have streamed music as well. DQ1's is not orchestrated, but it's in a streaming format, not midi. DQ4's sounds like it could be orchestrated. But even if it's synth, it's far better than if it was real-time midi, so it must be streamed as well.)

Soulerisn, I am loving the screenshots.  Please keep them coming!

Yeah agreed, gives me something to put out on Facebook, etc.

Sure. Gives me more of a reason to keep posting them.

Currently I'm in the Dark Ruins (finally..). I'm doing some grinding on the side though since the damage I'm doing to the enemies there is really sad..

I'm not enjoying the 35-40 damage they are giving me either, per attack. Jessica has low hp as is, not everyone is a brick wall like Yangus.

Yeah, difficulty takes a bit of an upturn at about that point.  I don't think it's required, but I recommend getting Multiheal on Angelo before proceeding much further.  Depending on how fast you have been cruising thus far, that might mean a bit of a grind, but I think it's time well spent.

Yeah, difficulty takes a bit of an upturn at about that point. I don't think it's required, but I recommend getting Multiheal on Angelo before proceeding much further. Depending on how fast you have been cruising thus far, that might mean a bit of a grind

Oh my god. The dark ruins boss fight.. yeah I think I need to get multi heal now..

Edited by Soulerisn
  • Upvote 1

Best early monsters:

1) Hacksaurus - just North of Farebury, exit North and head East (this guy is viable all the way through given his base stats are high, he has falcon slash which is highly effective, and his stat growth is arguably the best of any monster...though he can be replaced for Ranks B/A/S)

2) Godrongo - on the way to Trodain, after passing the ship and climbing up out of the barren lands to grass, rather than head North to Trodain, head West to the end of the grassy peninsula (This guy is useful all the way up to B...good stats, decent attack, but mostly high HP, he can absorb a lot).

3) Brickman - just outside Peregrin Quay, head to the top of the hills to the SouthEast to find this guy amongst some ruins (the first member of the golem team available, and while his stats pale in comparison to Hacksaurus and Godrongo, his naturally high defense and solid attack more than make up for it...he's the second most effective monster at this point, and can be kept past rank C in the reserves until the entire Golem team can be assembled).

Those are the top three.  Right now you can get through C at virtually any level with the above three.  C might take 2-3 tries though if luck is poor, but don't expect to tackle B until the ship, when you can recruit Talos right off the bat.  Another great monster to pick up after C is Capers, and yet another is Dumbira.

Best early monsters:

1) Hacksaurus - just North of Farebury, exit North and head East (this guy is viable all the way through given his base stats are high, he has falcon slash which is highly effective, and his stat growth is arguably the best of any monster...though he can be replaced for Ranks B/A/S)

2) Godrongo - on the way to Trodain, after passing the ship and climbing up out of the barren lands to grass, rather than head North to Trodain, head West to the end of the grassy peninsula (This guy is useful all the way up to B...good stats, decent attack, but mostly high HP, he can absorb a lot).

3) Brickman - just outside Peregrin Quay, head to the top of the hills to the SouthEast to find this guy amongst some ruins (the first member of the golem team available, and while his stats pale in comparison to Hacksaurus and Godrongo, his naturally high defense and solid attack more than make up for it...he's the second most effective monster at this point, and can be kept past rank C in the reserves until the entire Golem team can be assembled).

Those are the top three. Right now you can get through C at virtually any level with the above three. C might take 2-3 tries though if luck is poor, but don't expect to tackle B until the ship, when you can recruit Talos right off the bat. Another great monster to pick up after C is Capers, and yet another is Dumbira.

Thanks. I'm off to go get Godrongo and Brickman now. I used this team to get through G an F, but dumb Joe died every time. Was just trying it out, and did OK, but they can't go farther.

ymy7y8a7.jpg

I also tried playing with myself. That almost was a disaster.

uqu3e7eg.jpg

Edited by Plattym3

You can get Capers instead of Brickman if you're already cleared Rank F.

He's better for the most part. Brickman can be kind of inefficient since he likes using tension a lot. Nothing like seeing him charge up 3 times only to deliver the finishing blow to an enemy that only has 30 HP left =/

Edited by The n00b Avenger
  • Upvote 1

Capers is pretty awesome, and due to his Str growth and skill pool, he can be better than Hacksaurus for Rank B.  One of the best teams I've seen is Dumbira + Talos + Capers.

Oh right, and immediately after getting the boat, if you CAN clear rank B, you can get through A and S by picking up Octavian.

Sure Curer has slightly more MP, doesn't waste it on anything but healing, but he dies faster, and isn't effecting at attacking.  While Octavian makes a decent backup attacker, and is more likely to heal than use Multithrust.

Rank A and S are relatively easy early on with Octavian + Talos + Dumbira, OR you can replace Talos with the Hell Gladiator and go Octavian + Skeledoid + Dumbira, OR you can do Octavian + Skeledoid + Talos.

Dumbira just makes Skeledoid awesome if he happens to Oomph him, and basically Skeledoid will just waste stuff.  Plus Dumbira can crit, which is very very very effective in the final round of rank S.

Yeah, I'd recommend holding off on clearing rank B until you're at the point where you have access to the Curer and the Killing Machine and such.

Unless you like trying and failing over and over and over until you happen to get a miraculous stroke of luck.

I just entered Arcadia a little while ago. Going to Rydon tower now.

Between dark ruins and now, the plot is going crazy.

Edit: Way past that now. In the snowy region north of the Chapel of Autumn.

Think it's time for some screenshots before they pile up any further.

Going to have this spoiler tag contain the rest of them, far to many to show at once..

jim24g.png

2uubk.png

2vtt6w6.png

uakvr.png

idg9j8.png

3133u3b.png

inebt3.png

2i24it5.png

2rqy7ow.png

30ddny9.png

205sied.png

116kllc.png

v8h8gn.png

2mg4aj4.png

16gdbi8.png

23tjtpw.png

Edited by Soulerisn

You can get Capers instead of Brickman if you're already cleared Rank F.

He's better for the most part. Brickman can be kind of inefficient since he likes using tension a lot. Nothing like seeing him charge up 3 times only to deliver the finishing blow to an enemy that only has 30 HP left =/

Funny you should bring that up. I immediately went and got him after rank F. One of the best monsters that I remembered immediately where he was. It was my toughest fight yet, but I got him easily enough. Now I have a good group of 4 that I can play with and go get a few more ranks. I was nodding off while catching monsters last night. Now it's time to use them!

Another fantastic batch of screens Soulerisn! Thanks.  And your progress is swift and impressive. 

Didn't beat C class on the first try, so I took the lazy American route and immediately quit. Exploring my old stomping grounds in Trodain now.

I will be joining you guys (spiritually) in the coming week(s). Hopefully PCSX2 runs well on my computer now that it's fixed.

Do characters learn anything by level-up here or is it purely skill categories? If there's level-up skills, is there a list anywhere?

I'd check a walkthru. You do get skills by leveling. I guess I could always dig my old guide out from the bottom of my son's dresser. If i remember tomorrow, I can do so. I'd imagine they're listed there.

Soul, I noticed you've never taken any pictures in battle, how come?

I will be joining you guys (spiritually) in the coming week(s). Hopefully PCSX2 runs well on my computer now that it's fixed.

Do characters learn anything by level-up here or is it purely skill categories? If there's level-up skills, is there a list anywhere?

Hero:

Spell     Level     

Heal      3           

Squelch   4           

Evac      6           

Sizz      11          

Midheal   18          

Sizzle    20          

Fullheal  27          

Zing      29          

Kasizzle  32 

Jessica: