Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

DQVIII Progress - Summer '14

I figured we might as well have a nice, tidy little topic for all of us (re)playing DQVIII on mobile now that it's out. I haven't played this game in a good 6 years, so I thought I'd post my progress, ask my questions, and hear about your progress all in one place.

I'm about to go after Jessica & have held off a bit on skill points so far. What do you consider ideal builds for each character?

First time playing for me. I'm also going after Jessica in the tower to the east.

I talked to everyone in town before going to the tower.. only to find once I get there the door is locked. I had to talk to one of the kids guarding Jessica's room twice.. not once.

God I feel stupid.

Edit: Screenshot time!

eil40h.png

14ikdpw.png

1e9o2b.png

The faces the protagonist makes are really funny to look at sometimes. His face is so innocent.

Edited by Soulerisn

I emulated it and finished it a long while ago so wont be doin it again on mobile hehe.  Game looks great when you can HD it yourself. 

Just finished everything regarding the Tower. In Port.P- something now. I went to fight the giant octopus but that flame breath's 30+ damage is a killer. Time to grind! 8D

dxiy2p.png

70ddso.png

13z30qd.png

30v0gtk.png

I also forgot to talk to Bangerz twice. Ugh. Went to the tower then had to come back to get him. That's when I called it a night. Hoping to have an hour here to play this morning before the kiddo wakes up.

I'm currently playing through DQ8 again and these are what I'm hoping to build my players up to...so long as I get enough skill points from my level ups :)

Hero
100 Sword, 100 Courage, 42 Fisticuffs
Sword and Courage mainly for Gigagash. Fisticuffs for Thin Air.

Yangus
82 Axe, 68 Humanity, 42 Fisticuffs
The highest axe ability never impressed. Liked Yangus knowing Midheal and Thin Air.

Jessica
68 Whip, 100 Staff, 68 Fisticuff
The whip's two highest abilities weren't that great. Kazing is great and of course, Thin Air (seems to be a pattern).

Angelo
88 Bow, 65 Staff, 68 Fisticuffs
Shining Shot is as good as it gets with bows. Oomph is always good to have. And Defending Champion always came in handy.

What is thin air again?

I just got the alchemy pot and Jessica. I might have been quite well-leveled for Kalimari. Two psyched up Yangus hits and he was a gonner. Poor Jessica isn't quite up to par yet. She's died twice as I went back to the old continent to finish up monsters I haven't slain and chests I haven't opened.

I got my revenge on kalamari..

Right now I'm in the ruins of the old abbey.

I can see boomerang being weak single target wise but I always use a sword whenever given the opportunity.. plus it makes grinding stupid easy mixed with Yangus' Whistle ability. Boomerang build it is!

It's kind of annoying how the protagonist is making 3 SP per level while Yangus and Jess are making double or more xD

I'll post some more screenshots when I'm in my computer.

Edited by Soulerisn

Just left the maze that is Pickham. I seriously spent almost an hour doing all the crazy seek and find, the town layout is so confusing. Turns out the thief was in the building I already looked in.. but I must of been one step away from triggering the cutscene or something..

Going to "Red" now. This port is awesome btw.

ANYWAY screenshot time! From now on I'm getting rid of that white arrow in the top left corner of the screenshots, its the multitask window option.

6pz11h.png

29wa0dj.png

eikp6v.png

2mcxfnr.png

13yjlzr.png

21afds9.png

332ysl4.png

dnd4hx.png

Man that's a lot of screenshots..

God bless spoiler tags.

Edit: Strange.. I just noticed something. The game looks a lot better on my phone than it does in the above images.

Edited by Soulerisn

Holy crap, you're zooming ahead. Spent the entire afternoon/evening over on the coast with my cousin and our sons, so I'm still walking around Peregin Quay.

Holy crap, you're zooming ahead. Spent the entire afternoon/evening over on the coast with my cousin and our sons, so I'm still walking around Peregin Quay.

I said to myself friday "Ok, let's play a little bit of Dragon Quest 8 then go back to playing more Secret World and watching Red vs Blue"

Sadly I underestimated my addiction of playing new Dragon Quest games. Unlike most people here, this is my first time playing DQVIII.

And oh my god, is it amazing. I can safely say the characters in this game are my favorite out of any of the DQ games I've played so far.

Let's see if this becomes my favorite DQ game of all time though, beating DQV will be hard!

Edited by Soulerisn

I said to myself friday "Ok, let's play a little bit of Dragon Quest 8 then go back to playing more Secret World and watching Red vs Blue"

Sadly I underestimated my addiction of playing new Dragon Quest games. Unlike most people here, this is my first time playing DQVIII.

And oh my god, is it amazing.

As much as I really enjoyed all the DS games and remakes and DQIX, this game is taking me way back to why I've always thought DQ is just super amazing. I truly love this game. I'll be skipping finishing shin megami tensei IV and skipping starting the Etrian Odyssey I remake to play this all June.

I am by far the biggest Shin Megami Tensei - Everything dork in my area. Despite this, I really hate SMT IV just because of what they did to the alignment system. That and I can't "connect" with the characters like I can in the Devil Summoner/Devil Survivor/Persona series. Everything but the neutral ending of SMT IV leaves you with a somewhat sour taste in your mouth.

..anyway!

I know Dragon Quest 9 is kind of 3d but this feels like the first time I've played a real 3d dragon quest game. It's giving me that adventure feeling that Grandia gave me the first time I played it. This is more of a reason to hope for the localization of the DQ7 remake.

I have a question, before it escapes my mind.

So I was buying equipment for my party and I gave Jessica.. some kind of clothing I can't remember the name of. It completely changed her clothing in battle too.. Yet the same can't be said for anyone else in the party.

Are there different types of armor that can change the appearance of the protagonist, Yangus and Angelo?.. Or was Square enix just being perverted and wanted to put Jessica in various outfits for reasons that should be obvious by looking at her for 5 seconds.

Edit: I'm at the end of the Swordsman's labyrinth and just got past the block jump puzzle.

The puzzle requires you to use look a certain direction that is otherwise impossible without zooming.

If you press your finger against the center of the screen it goes into "zoom mode".

The sign for the puzzle says it, but I thought it'd be nice to know for people who aren't at the labyrinth yet.

Also the signs in the labyrinth after the jump puzzle refill your hp and mp.. this is all well and good but what I really care about is that I just found a nice grinding spot >:3

Edited by Soulerisn

Yes, there are very few outfit changes, all but one are for Jessica. Male fan service.

yrusa6ed.jpg

P. S. - Grandia games are my Crack! Oh what I wouldn't give for them to be resurrected!

So I just realized as I was doing a ton of alchemy (using this nice guide http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/583527-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/40808249) that they changed the alchemy pot. You used to have to walk around and wait for it to cook. Now it's instant, just like DQIX.

So I just realized as I was doing a ton of alchemy (using this nice guide http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/583527-dragon-quest-viii-journey-of-the-cursed-king/40808249) that they changed the alchemy pot. You used to have to walk around and wait for it to cook. Now it's instant, just like DQIX.

I'm glad they changed it then.

Edit: Or rather was this how it originally was? Since this is the translated Japanese version, was it instant in the ps2 version?

Edited by Soulerisn

Good question. In the US PS2 version, you had to trek so many miles to get things to cook.

Edited by Plattym3

I'm about to get the ship out of the mountains into the ocean using the Moonshadow Harp. Not looking forward going through Trodian Castle again.. so confusing.

Screenshots:

ngc36u.png

ddevci.png

8z1auc.png

xcpwd3.png

dm9ytt.png

2r40ggl.png

209gh87.png

2ih11fk.png

I really have no idea why I'm posting this, but I am.

Edit: So it turns out.. I never had to go through the entire castle i guess! There was a door from the outside that goes directly into the library..

Words can't possibly describe how stupid I feel right now.

Edited by Soulerisn

Oh, we've all had those DUH DQ moments.

Granted, some more than others ;-)

Jeez, you guys are fast. I think I just finished Maella Abbey (Angelo just officially joined my party.) this is the furthest I've gotten In DQVIII, and I'm having a TON of fun with it! It rivals DQVII even! Why, oh why did they have to do stupid crap to the ps2 us version? I liked the voice acting and music, but the game just felt very clunky to play.

Jeez, you guys are fast. I think I just finished Maella Abbey (Angelo just officially joined my party.) this is the furthest I've gotten In DQVIII, and I'm having a TON of fun with it! It rivals DQVII even! Why, oh why did they have to do stupid crap to the ps2 us version? I liked the voice acting and music, but the game just felt very clunky to play.

I'm glad you got the menus you always dreamed of haha. Finished up with the castle town & the clinically depressed king. Off for Pickham soon, but first there's a little detour TO THE MOST AMAZING SIDE QUEST OF ANY DQ GAME, EVER!!!

Hm, I spent about 20 min. today looking for the cave, but I didn't see any stream around Ascantha. It really was only about 20 mins though, and broken up between classes. But tonight before bed and tomorrow on the bus (I'll be on the bus for about 2hrs total) I should have a lot more time to actually look.

Aaaaaand it's almost midnight. I spent the last hour or so looking for the place, then decided to look it up. Thanks to Saigan's LP, I've learned I was looking for "Wisher's Peak" in the wrong place this whole time. (I was looking directly south of the castle.) I'm much too tired to continue playing right now, but I'm getting an early start in the morning.

Edited by Erdrick The Hero
  • Upvote 1

I think it's time to post more screenshots

Currently I'm at the Royal Hunting Grounds. I ignored the quest from the "cat guy" that owns all the Sabretooth cats. Waiting until dawn for a tree was quite boring.. and it takes a very long time even with a mount to get there since one of the bridges is broken.

2j4aq8i.png

devjf8.png

2eeww9l.png

112alj5.png

jzjf37.png

1443gas.png

iyj4b4.png

Still not sure why I'm posting these, but I have some what of a screenshot addiction..

You should see my steam profile..

Edited by Soulerisn

The original PS2 Japanese version forced the player to "walk" until the Alchemy pot dinged.

Nice progress guys.  Thanks for all the pics Soul, I'm living vicariously through them.   I probably won't get to my DQ8 solo playthrough anytime soon.

The one thing I wish they had considered for voice acting: Morrie.  That actor was just too awesome, and his bunny girls =D.  I really wish they had put in his voice work.  Maybe if there's enough demand for it, they might since the game can always be patched.